Revolution

JRRNeiklot

First Post
Modern semi-automatics and automatics don't deal well with the soot of black powder. So, simply reloading the shells with what's available doesn't work.

Actually, a single shot or double barrel shotgun can be reloaded with damn near anything. including rile or pistol rounds, black powder, or even match heads.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F85LMFWKwTo&feature=plcp]Reloading 12GA with (Pyrodex) Black Powder in the Field - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDSSShs-JcQ&feature=relmfu]Journal of the Yurt 36 12GA R&D - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_f7C4ogORs&list=SP6B3D89B23CDE649F&index=14&feature=plpp_video]21st Century Longhunter Series Shotgun SubCaliber Inserts - YouTube[/ame]

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Actually, a single shot or double barrel shotgun can be reloaded with damn near anything. including rile or pistol rounds, black powder, or even match heads.

Yes, as can revolvers. But automatics and semi-automatics are not so forgiving, and very quickly clog with the soot, and jam.

Felon

First Post
Interesting how much nitpicking this show is being subjected to. Its creators have stated that they intent this to be a series with "swashbuckling" action, not details like potable water or firearm minutae. They chose the wrong genre for that.

Not saying it's an awesome show or anything, but compared to the sort of stuff that gets renewed year after year and commands a strong following here, it's about average. I mean, Castle is a thoroughly inane crime drama with a tissue-thin weak premise about two immature people who for no particular reason make no effort to resolve their sexual tensions. But it's got fans here, it's People's Choice awards. The standards just aren't set that high.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Interesting how much nitpicking this show is being subjected to.

It is hardly surprising. This is an internet message board - the only way for it to not be nitpicked to death is for it to not be mentioned at all.

Its creators have stated that they intent this to be a series with "swashbuckling" action, but apparently they chose the wrong genre for that.

See above - the critique found here should not be taken as representative of the viewer base.

Felon

First Post
It is hardly surprising. This is an internet message board - the only way for it to not be nitpicked to death is for it to not be mentioned at all.
Well, that seems a neither-here-nor-there response, as it doesn't actually speak to the context of the remark. All shows are not held to this standard. Nobody picks apart Castle or Chuck to this degree, but the setting seemingly make it difficult to process as a swashbuckling adventure rather than some gritty survival serial. One ill-executed depiction of a plane crash and for some, that's all she wrote.

Last edited:

slobster

Hero
Yes, as can revolvers. But automatics and semi-automatics are not so forgiving, and very quickly clog with the soot, and jam.

Still, you think they could issue revolvers and repeaters, or at least needleguns, instead of front-loading muskets. It was the first thing that I thought when I saw them firing muskets. ;)

I'm waiting for someone to pull a nuke out of the closet. You can build (or at least detonate) one of those without electricity. :devil:

Fast Learner

First Post
Second episode SPOILERS

So, apparently we haven't lost Elizabeth Mitchell, hooray!

Plenty of post-apocalyptic nonsense, though it didn't bother me quite as much this time. And unsurprisingly, the "revolution" theme does indeed seem to be at play.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well, that seems a neither-here-nor-there response, as it doesn't actually speak to the context of the remark. All shows are not held to this standard. Nobody picks apart Castle or Chuck to this degree...

Well, check it out - nobody really discusses those shows at all on this site. So, my comment isn't neither her nor there, it is directly germain: *if* it gets discussed at all, it gets nitpicked.

So, ultimately, the observation isn't that the other shows don't get nitpicked, but that we don't talk about them at all. Why are we discussing the other shows, but not Castle?

Still, you think they could issue revolvers and repeaters, or at least needleguns, instead of front-loading muskets. It was the first thing that I thought when I saw them firing muskets. ;)

Well, consider that we are only 15 years out from the blackout. The number of people who know how to work metal *without electrically driven tools* is small. The weapons they make first will be as simple as possible - and that means swords and muskets.

I'm waiting for someone to pull a nuke out of the closet. You can build (or at least detonate) one of those without electricity. :devil:

Depends what you are talking about.

A typical "atomic bomb" is a fission device - a conventional high explosive is used to drive masses of fissionable materials (like U-235) together hard enough to keep them together long enough for the critical mass to generate a chain reaction and explode.

Most atomic bombs use high explosives triggered by electricity - you'd have to replace those explosives (probably with dynamite), and all but the most basic designs will then fail, because they take the speeds of the high explosives as a given in the design. You can't just replace a hunk of C4 with a same-sized stick of dynamite and expect it to work. You'd need someone with the wherewithal to redesign the bomb - no small task under the circumstances.

A "nuke" is a thermonuclear device, and that uses an atomic bomb to kick off a fusion reaction.

While in theory, you can set off a nuke without electricity, in practice it will be a dud, because the tolerances for getting the fusion reaction to go off are very small - the various shaped charges of high explosives have to be set off within small fractions of a second from each other, and you won't get that using a burning fuse cord.

Well, if you have crossbows or muskets, you can have Zorro-esque swashbuckling. With revolvers...BANG! You're dead!

There is that, yes. A variation of the Anthropic Principle applies. We see the results we see not because the show runners went from first principles and build up the society, but because they chose a genre, and the society is build down from there.

Mind you, most of the arrangement we've seen is not implausible - if you take it that the state of metalworking isn't very good, then the weapons we see falls out of that.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases