3. x Does D&D have a "Watcher" creature?

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Marvel Comics has "The Watcher", an individual who's a member of a race of beings that observe and record things that happen.

watcher.gif

Does D&D have such a creature in any of the Monster Manuals, etc, that has in the fluff text and in abilities describes that the primary function of this creature is to observe and record when events happen? I'm looking for such a creature to be an NPC in a possible campaign I'm toying with.

If not, I'll just put somethng together with Base Creature + Class levels, but figured I'd try to find one first.

Last edited:

slobster

Hero
The first thing that comes to mind are the Inevitables, in the 3.5 MM among other places. They don't exactly fit the bill, but I could see them being the creations of a race who watches the multiverse unfold, and lets their creations police it. You could also easily have a race of Inevitables whose primary duty is observation, or modify one of the existing strains to do so.

There was some sort of "super-elves" in the epic level handbook called the Leshay that maybe sort of fit the bill. I always thought they were stupid, so don't remember much about them.

I think time dragons only watched things, as interfering was too dull if I remember right, they are epic level dragons in one of the magazines.

They are pretty over the top though, their intelligence surpasses boccob's.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Thanks for the input.

I'm imagining a small, harmless seeming individual, sitting on a log, jotting into a journal. Charming, aloof, enigmatic. untouchable.

I've not been able to find such a pre-made creature. Manual of the Planes has the Mercanes, a merchant-based creature. I was hoping something like that.

I'm considering a Kobold servant of Chronepsis. Maybe a Rank 0 demigod.

If you are going to make something, an outsider may make the most sense as a template, the not needing to eat or sleep thing is really what shoots out to me as seeing the most fitting.

Jack Simth

First Post
Marvel Comics has "The Watcher", an individual who's a member of a race of beings that observe and record things that happen.

watcher.gif

Does D&D have such a creature in any of the Monster Manuals, etc, that has in the fluff text and in abilities describes that the primary function of this creature is to observe and record when events happen? I'm looking for such a creature to be an NPC in a possible campaign I'm toying with.

If not, I'll just put somethng together with Base Creature + Class levels, but figured I'd try to find one first.
There's a construct called the Zodar you might consider looking up. They're almost indestructible (only one form of attack can affect them at all), and they're specifically noted as sometimes attaching themselves to an adventuring party and following, doing nothing but observing.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
If you are going to make something, an outsider may make the most sense as a template, the not needing to eat or sleep thing is really what shoots out to me as seeing the most fitting.
Makes sense. Or perhaps a construct.
There's a construct called the Zodar you might consider looking up. They're almost indestructible (only one form of attack can affect them at all), and they're specifically noted as sometimes attaching themselves to an adventuring party and following, doing nothing but observing.
Just read up on the Zodar in Fiend Folio. I think I want something that talks a bit more than this, I just want whatever the Watcher says to be seemingly inconsequential and then later be important. I'm also imagining a bit more charming.
I think there is a Beholder for that...might check Lords of Madness or one of the older 3.0 Faerun books.
Hm... There is a Beholder called a Spectator, but despite the name, it's not as "spectator-y" as I'm looking for.

Empirate

First Post
Why do you even need stats for such a creature? Wouldn't the Watcher be unable to alter the flow of events, and forced to stay outside entirely? Who would attack the Watcher? Etc.

That said, there's a similar being in Dragonlance, a scribe with his own library who just writes down everything as it happens (Astinus was his name, if I recall correctly - been a while since I read those books). Astinus is probably among the most powerful creatures in DL, but doesn't ever interfere (if he can help it).

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Why do you even need stats for such a creature? Wouldn't the Watcher be unable to alter the flow of events, and forced to stay outside entirely? Who would attack the Watcher? Etc.

That said, there's a similar being in Dragonlance, a scribe with his own library who just writes down everything as it happens (Astinus was his name, if I recall correctly - been a while since I read those books). Astinus is probably among the most powerful creatures in DL, but doesn't ever interfere (if he can help it).
You're right in that if I'm DMing, and there won't be any combat, stats/abilities aren't really necessary.
The answer is personal pride in thoroughness. I prefer to have a RAW explanation for everything so I can justify whatever I do. It's not necessary, but it is preferred. Even if that means I make a uber powerful creature, I want to be able to back it up with stats.
When my players try to hit the creature and they can't, I want to be able to explain why they can't.
I will look up Astinus, thanks!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases