D&D 5E Monsters taking PC classes: I want it in Next.

slobo777

First Post
I expect, no--demand--that the core of the game be filled with character options which the DM can assume will not break the game if they aren't carefully monitored. There is a place for experimental options. Dragon magazine always was (and continues to be) one, Unearthed Arcana (both versions) was another.

Me too - except:

Maybe 4e has spoiled me, but if I have to carefully vet every new option in every new book in 5e, I'm out.

. . . I think that's one of the things we've signed up to in the play test - at the very least you'll have enough information to make an informed decision on how much of 5E works for you. If you are only vetting out 1% of stuff it's probably OK. If it's more like 10%, then that starts to look like a chore.

Saagael

First Post
I expect, no--demand--that the core of the game be filled with character options which the DM can assume will not break the game if they aren't carefully monitored. There is a place for experimental options. Dragon magazine always was (and continues to be) one, Unearthed Arcana (both versions) was another.

Maybe 4e has spoiled me, but if I have to carefully vet every new option in every new book in 5e, I'm out.

Would love to XP you for this but I must spread it around. For now you'll have to make do with virtual kudos for a well-stated idea, I hope that's okay.

Derren

Hero

Everything can "break the game" when you give the players enough freedom. So either you restrict the freedom of your players heavily, turning 5E even more into a board game than an RPG, or accept that there will be no perfect balance.

Even more, you can only "break" the game when you have a very specific vision of how the game should be played (most often tactical combat dungeon crawling) and allow no deviation from it (either because of preference or lack of rules).
As soon as you expand the scope of the game it is much more difficult to "break" as it consists of more than just one activity.

mlund

First Post
3.X/Pathfinder monster design is definitely its weakest point. Bolt-on-PC levels might be great for creating DMPC monsters and PC-style BBEG characters that need to overload an encounter or have resources to last for a days-worth of activities like a PC. They were rubbish for everything else. The overwhelming number of monsters have a life-expectancy of 1 scene. The overwhelming number of Class customizations were bolted on Sorcerer or Fighter levels for extra spells or feats.

Heck, even the stat-block and attacks profile of classic Dragons were a complete joke in terms of customizing an encounter at middle and higher levels. What really mattered was the text wall of sorcerer spells appended to the end. The rest was just a static platform of HP, AC, SR, and a cookie-cutter breath weapon just to deliver those spells. Even monsters fell victim to the Quadratic Wizard Trap in 3.X/Pathfinder.

- Marty Lund

Everything can "break the game" when you give the players enough freedom. [...] Even more, you can only "break" the game when you have a very specific vision of how the game should be played (most often tactical combat dungeon crawling) and allow no deviation from it (either because of preference or lack of rules).

I don't believe that either of these things is true.

Derren

Hero
I don't believe that either of these things is true.

And why is that?

Lets take a simple decanter of endless water.
If you run a boardgame style "tactical combat" dungeon crawler, it only serves as a explanation why the PCs don't die of thirst in a dungeon. Other than that it doesn't affect the game at all. Balanced, right?
But if you allow your players more freedom in how they interact with the world they might get the idea to get several of them, build a small to medium dam, fill it over a day or two and then release the water to flood the Dungeon instead.
Now this seemingly harmless item has "broken" the game.

At least it has that when the entire point of the game was the PCs having tactical combat in that dungeon. But if you expand the scope of the game to the characters interacting with the world however they want, being combat or not, it suddenly doesn't hurt the game at all that instead of doing tactical combats the PCs flooded the dungeon.

Last edited:

GreyICE

Banned
Banned
The larger the scope the MORE broken things have the ability to get, due to how much less contained things are. PunPun wouldn't work if he couldn't call down deities to ambush their power levels, after all.

I do really think there should be a handbook of weird, wacky, and broken stuff. People seem to want it. So let them have it. Monster levels! Ubermensch prestige classes! Magic Items from mars! Arrows that open up rifts to the Astral Sea! Spells that can rip the fabric of reality! Rules for martial arts like Exalted! Handbooks that really break the entire framework of the game into little shards.

Just don't insist your favorite broken idea belongs in the core game. Monster PCs will always be broken. In 3E they nerfed them so hard it wasn't even funny (95% of all monster PCs were terrible) and they STILL made broken combinations. Screw making them terrible! Let people take monsters as PCs and level as normal (with the multiclassing rules they're talking about it would work really well). Just accept that it will break things, and put it in a module where the DM knows 'here there be dragons, open at your own risk.'

AND LABEL IT AS SUCH

nogray

Adventurer
Now this seemingly harmless item has "broken" the game.

Nah. The game was broken by a lazy, unskilled DM (who is also potentially ignorant with respect to the magnitude of the proposed task, as well as dungeon design) that decided to have lazy, unresponsive, inactive dungeon residents who let a party perform a major construction project (a dam or other containment "pen" large enough to hold water volume similar to the dungeon and something to channel the flow of said water, all quite close to the dungeon entrance), fill said reservoir, and release it, all without molestation.

The game's tactical focus, if any, has little to do with it.

While I am not [MENTION=23094]Patryn of Elvenshae[/MENTION], I can see where his (or her?) argument comes from. I don't honestly believe "anything" can break the game. +1 sword? I can't see how that can break a game. Decanter? Perhaps in a world-building sense (as in: every city in the desert should have one or more, and the presence of one could let a small settlement spring up in a desert pretty much anywhere), but not in an "overcoming challenges" sense (unless acquisition of water was the challenge, but by the time you have 9k to "spend" on a decanter, that's likely a trivial challenge). Heck, most magic items are in the same category.

Contrariwise, there are things that can break a game regardless of the intended vision or lack of such.

[sblock="Aside:"]Well, I suppose the caveat applies that I automatically think of the basic premise -- a team of adventurers that, roughly speaking, work together to do things generally too dangerous for commoners to attempt -- should be held up as an inviolable vision. Note that doesn't imply heroics. The adventurers may be black-hearted mercenaries, or they may be heroes of destiny, or even aspiring tyrants. The important bit is, essentially, "go on adventures" as opposed to "run a village smithy (or similar business)." The "team" bit is pretty important, too, though I have played and DMed solo PCs.[/sblock]Unless you are emulating the Ars Magica meme, a lot of high level magic (and even some mid-level stuff) can "break" the game.

Similarly, presenting two options as "balanced" or "equivalent" when they aren't can break the game if fairness is any small part of your vision for the game. (Example -- though some will disagree with it -- The 3.x fighter is simultaneously handicapped in out-of-combat utility and underperforming in most high-level combats. The wizard or druid, on the other hand, have markedly more out-of-combat utility, in-combat power, and easy flexibility to change focus.)

Anyhow, I agree with you that broader focus of activities can make the game harder to break, but disagree with some of the specifics of both statements given by your quote, below.

Everything can "break the game" when you give the players enough freedom.

[and]

Even more, you can only "break" the game when you have a very specific vision of how the game should be played

Paraxis

Explorer
4E has this right. Monsters should be monsters, if you want to represent a spellcasting monster give it a couple magical powers, thats it. Make sure all powers (in this case spells) are described in the monster's stat block. I hate having to look through multiple books or pages to run a monster EVERYTHING I need to know to run that monster should be in it's stat block.

Monsters are killed in a few rounds, I don't want to spend an hour or more making one, or spend a lot of time deciding what it is going to do on it's turn. All this is going to do is make DMing be more work and make combats take longer.

Ohh and 4E has rules for giving monsters class levels it has been in since the first DMG.

pemerton

Legend
Everything can "break the game" when you give the players enough freedom.

<snip>

Even more, you can only "break" the game when you have a very specific vision of how the game should be played
if you expand the scope of the game to the characters interacting with the world however they want, being combat or not, it suddenly doesn't hurt the game at all that instead of doing tactical combats the PCs flooded the dungeon.
Even if the aim of the game is "world exploration" - and that's only one fairly narrow approach to RPGing - it is still possible for items to break the game. For example, a ring of wishes at will will probably break a world exploration game, turning it instead into a world creation game.

But the idea that mechanics and game elements can't break a game unless it is aimed at tactical combat is without foundation. For example, any indie-style narrativist game - where the idea is that players will tackle full-on the scenes that the GM frames to push their PCs - will break if the players have abilities that let them side-step rather than engage the scenes.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases