D&D 5E If an option is presented, it needs to be good enough to take.

GreyICE

Banned
Banned
I don't mind if there's Backgrounds/Talents/Feats and somewhere along the line there's a module that lets you trade combat capability for non-combat capability, as long as it was clear it was optional, and it was also clear the issues it could potentially create. What I objected to, specifically, was the unified Combat/Non-combat mechanics that we saw in 3E and 4E that really was quite damaging to the idea of creating varied and interesting characters.

Utility powers had the same issue, which is why they were unquestionably the weakest point of the AEDU system.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
What I think you need for that, most of all, is a game where character abilities don't scale as rapidly as they traditionally have done in D&D.
Absolutely, and I hope this is a direction 5e is going.
And where their starting abilities are sufficient to make them a competent professional in their particular class, with the possibility of going on to being a great master.

A Fighter, say, who if they're physically gifted and well trained might have as much a +10 attack bonus with their favoured weapon at 1st level ...
I'd rather see there be very little difference between a commoner and a 1st-level PC - the commoner is, in effect, 0th level or -1th level on the same scale.

A 0th-level fighter vs. a 4th level wizard who is out of spells? Should be a pretty even fight, all in all; though the wizard will be able to take a few more blows and keep going.

Lanefan

Last edited:

I want to reiterate, once again, that I get this viewpoint. I do. And, once again, I support 3/3/3 as a default. Design to it, even. I'm okay with that. I support it, even. And, again, I get your personal reservations.

I just haven't seen a convincing argument to stop the campaign optional opt-out if it has clear guidelines and mechanical support. That's what I'm not hearing, yet. I get all the arguments for not using it at the table. Manbearcat, can you try to tell me why there shouldn't be an optional opt-out? As always, play what you like :)

I can't tell you why there shouldn't be an optional opt-out. I don't support that position.

What I think would be best and "most safe" (for entry-level gamers and the majority of advanced, veteran groups) is a 3/3/3 default with very clear, explicit information/advice (with as much brevity as possible...keywords would assist this but unfortunately people seem to find their presence too "gamey") on:

A) Exactly how shifting that default setup around will affect:

1 - Gameplay and its accompanying table dynamics generally
2 - Expectant output of the various classes specifically with respect to "in-pillar challenges"
3 - Implications on niche infringement

B) How each optional feat/power/feature (what have you) will work on its own, how they will synergize with other abilities, and how they will affect gameplay generally.

I am all for tons of options but I think the best way forward is explicit, transparent advice on intended roles of classes/feats/synergies/abilities and the potential implications for deviation from the "default settings" and the inclusion or exclusion of various game-altering elements (I suspect you've seen enough of my posts at this point that you know which elements I'm referring to) on both the "feel" of the game (genre and playstyle) and the mechanical resolution of conflicts.

I think some folks seem to think that if their playstyle isn't "core" or "default" and then there is corresponding advice/commentary from the developers on deviating from the "default" then inevitably that advice/commentary will stigmatize their playstyle as "toxic" or "hazardous" with some kind of D&D version of the Scarlett Letter. Perhaps it has something to do with the editorializing in the initial 4e texts ("Don't bother with talking to guards or shopkeepers/pedlars" and "Get to the FUN!"). I honestly don't know. I have played every edition and I'm not sure if I've ever played any of them "orthodox" or "default." Nonetheless, I know the value of understanding the "why fors" and the "method to the madness" of the default setting. As such, I think full disclosure on these things and then corresponding advice on the implications of deviation from default and advice on (i) "how to deviate from default to get what you're looking for" is sound engineering of a good TTRPG product.

An example of good advice regarding (i) for the next edition is how to handle what you're looking for specifically. Advice of the variety in my earlier post about how to create the kind of character you may have been looking for (the cowardly or combat-incompetent sage) in 4e. Advice about how to decouple your combat actions from your PC so that your action economy is still represented in the encounter but it is just not represented in the fiction as your PC carrying it out. That way;

- you get what you want (an incompetent or cowardly combatant).

- you still get to express the equivalent action economy of a PC (perhaps your action economy represents the intervention of fate, the odd and unspoken synergy of a veteran unit, divine favor, or manifest destiny...so long as it is something outside of your PCs locus of control) and be involved and have tactical fun.

- and the GM will still have the luxury of predictable results from the group relative to the expected output of the opposition of the encounter he composed.

The other option is for advice specifically on how to balance encounters and prepare for "below default # of PCs" groups. I mean, I played 4e with only 3 people (several times with just 2) so I had to work on expressing a normal group's (4 or 5 characters) action economy with numbers short of a full group. That is "unorthodox" and "outside of default". I had to explore this myself and create a ruleset for this. I would have loved it if 4e would have assisted me from the beginning and given me a quality controlled ruleset for this that I didn't have to contrive on my own.

Anyhoo, That is me taking the long way to: "I don't disagree with you but <this stuff>"

innerdude

Legend
Yes.

Oddly, one often does. Because D&D has such tremendous name recognition, such long history, so much support, so many clones, and such an organized-play infrastructure, it's much, much easier to find a game of D&D (or its clones) than any other game.

Which, frankly, is the core root of ALL Edition-War-dom. None of us want the most popular, widely supported, organized, and accessible RPG to be based on rules we don't like using. The closer D&D is to our "platonic ideal," the less investment in time and resources we have to make to maximize our gaming time and experiences.

I get that there's lots and lots and lots of crappy side effects of Edition Warring. Also completely get why it happens.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
I don't mind if there's Backgrounds/Talents/Feats and somewhere along the line there's a module that lets you trade combat capability for non-combat capability, as long as it was clear it was optional, and it was also clear the issues it could potentially create. What I objected to, specifically, was the unified Combat/Non-combat mechanics that we saw in 3E and 4E that really was quite damaging to the idea of creating varied and interesting characters.

Utility powers had the same issue, which is why they were unquestionably the weakest point of the AEDU system.
This is why I suggested you read my back and forth in the feats thread. What you just described above is what I've said I'd be okay with, though I'd prefer it be in the core books. Though, it should be clearly optional, talents and feats can run to make normal characters 3/3/3 and switch off in the opt-out, etc.

Would've saved a lot of time if we had just started the conversation there. Maybe next time you'll take me up on my suggestion ;) As always, play what you like :)

I can't tell you why there shouldn't be an optional opt-out. I don't support that position.
Yay!
What I think would be best and "most safe" (for entry-level gamers and the majority of advanced, veteran groups) is a 3/3/3 default with very clear, explicit information/advice (with as much brevity as possible...keywords would assist this but unfortunately people seem to find their presence too "gamey") on:
Yeah, I'm okay with keywords. It's not always enough, but it can certainly aid things, and I'm for them.
I am all for tons of options but I think the best way forward is explicit, transparent advice on intended roles of classes/feats/synergies/abilities and the potential implications for deviation from the "default settings" and the inclusion or exclusion of various game-altering elements
Yes, that's why I've mentioned the opt-out being "clear" and also mentioned good GMing advice on the matter. Transparency in this is good.
- you get what you want (an incompetent or cowardly combatant).
This is great.
- you still get to express the equivalent action economy of a PC (perhaps your action economy represents the intervention of fate, the odd and unspoken synergy of a veteran unit, divine favor, or manifest destiny...so long as it is something outside of your PCs locus of control) and be involved and have tactical fun.
This may or may not work, depending on your goal as a player. For those super invested in immersion, it probably wouldn't. But, it would work for a ton of people. Options like it, "solo" rules for the other PCs (extra action economy), etc., are all good ways to go about it.
- and the GM will still have the luxury of predictable results from the group relative to the expected output of the opposition of the encounter he composed.
This is important to a lot of people. A ton of them. I agree with this goal as well.
Anyhoo, That is me taking the long way to: "I don't disagree with you but <this stuff>"
I don't want to speak for you, but I want to change that to "we agree, basically even on <this stuff>." As always, play what you like :)

pemerton

Legend
Scenario - 6 PC's need to get through a fairly well defended gate with a gate captain and 18 guards.

1. The PC's try to talk their way through. In pre-3e D&D this is going to be almost entirely free-form. Perhaps a Reaction check to set the initial scene, but, that's about it. As such, the players aren't actually playing any set system anymore. Because it's freeform, you could be playing AD&D, or GURPS or FATAL and there's no way to tell because you're not actually engaging any rules. In 3e or 4e, there might be two or three die rolls occur - a bluff check or two, maybe a diplomacy check - and that's about it.

<snip>

2. The players decide to storm the gate. Now we have dozens of dice rolls, no action can ever be narrated completely before the dice are rolled, and there is virtually no free-form play.

<snip>

the rules govern everything in a fine grained system
You're right that combat resolution, even in 4e, is much more dice-rolling and rules intensive than non-combat resolution.

Still, I think you overstate the contrast. In 4e, at least the atempt to talk past the guards would normally be resolved as a skill challenge. In this social skill challenge, of complexity 5 (12 successes before 3 failures) around 30 d20 rolls were made. And they were mechanically structured - group checks, secondary checks to augment primary checks, skill checks to settle some minor point outside the framework of the skill challenge itself, etc.

That's more than two or three dice rolls, and it's a long way from freeforming.

As for combat, the most recent combat I ran was a bit of an epic (it straddled two sessions, and involved 23 levels worth of opponents against 5 18th level PCs). In the course of the combat, at least the following "freeform" moves took place:

* The invoker-wizard permanently expended his Ritual candle in order to shift the location of his already-cast Arcane Gate to another point within range. Success was adjudicated using an Arcana check; the fictional logic was that the character sucked all the power out of the candle in order to use his knowledge of the Linked Portal ritual to close and reopen his Arcane Gate.

* The same PC, in desperate straits as he lay on the ground next to his Gate being hacked down by fire archons, spoke a prayer to Erathis (one of his patron deities) - after speaking the prayer, and after the player succeeded at a Hard Religion check, as the PC looked up into the rock cleft high above him, he saw a duergar standing on a ledge looking down. The PC already knew that the duergar revere Erathis (as well as Asmodeus). The duergar gave the Deep Speech hand sign for "I will offer you aid", and the PC replied with the sign for "The dues will be paid". The duergar then dropped a potion vial down to the PC. (I had already decided that I could place a duergar in the cleft if I wanted some sort of 3rd-party intervention into the fight. The successful prayer was the trigger for implementing that prior decision.)

* The sorcerer PC, cut off from the other PCs by a pack of archons and salamanders, out of encounter powers and low on hit points, called upon the ambient chaotic energies from all those elemental monsters (including a flamekiss hydra spawned from the primordial Bryakus). After an Arcana check good enough to succeed at a Hard level 12 DC, he mustered enough chaotic energy to give himself 12 temporary hit points - but it also activiated the sigils of the Queen of Chaos permanently emblazoned on the insides of his eyelids, blinding him, and it had the same effect on his Robe of Eyes, so he couldn't see!

* The blinded sorcerer tried to escape down a tunnel as the archons and salamanders focused on the other PCs, but eventually they turned back to him. After being taken hostage by the last standing archon, his throat was slit (fatal coup de grace against the unconscious PC) when the paladin PC tried but failed to rescue him. The paladin wondered what he could do to help his friend. Removing his Diamond Cincture, he tried to imbue its healing energy into the sorcerer. A successful Medium Healing check brought the sorcerer back to life (but still unconscious) but the paladin himself fell into unconsciousness, drained of his own life energy, and the diamond is not going to come back after anyone's Extended Rest - it is permanently drained. (A Diamond Cincture, at 10th level, actually has the same value as the components for a paragon Raise Dead, which made this particularly easy to adjudicate.)​

They're the ones I remember, but there may have been a couple of others. It's freeform within a structure (Page 42, augmented by my own sense of the mechanical "balance" of the system), but it's not just "the rules governing everything".

If I did this in 4e I would likely make the person play a lazy warlord/bard hybrid or multi-class build (Int and Cha) with Vile Scholar, Seer or Oghma's Faithful Theme. Ritual Caster + Feats and skill powers to support Lore Mastery and Leader components of combat support by proxy of "lazy-buffing."

<snip>

A fate point (which affects combat) for playing to archetype (cringing, cowing in fear, being the runner like Corporal Upham, etc) and then using that fate point for some type of fictional advantage (like a "lazy buff") for your group within the domain of combat might work.
Agreed with all of that. That's the sort of thing I've been trying to get at with my references to the linked test/augment mechanics in BW and HW/Q; and the "lazy warlord" is another mechanical variant on a similar sort of theme. Another possibility would simply be that the sage functionally "disappears" during combat (in the fiction, s/he cringes at the back and the opponents disregard him/her, and s/he is never caught by stray arrows or in the radius of AoEs).

In the two scenarios you put forward, JC's mooted role for the sage was a whole lot of research/influence to augment the other PCs' activities. This is a type of action resolution that is hard to handle in D&D, at least outside the context of something like either a skill challenge mechanic or a buff-type mechanic, both of which are metagame rather than simulationist mechanics, and hence are liable to the "dissociated" tag.

The likelihood of D&Dnext having any of these sorts of mechanics strikes me as slim in the extreme, given its stated design goals plus its post-4e context. And without them I think the PC is a liability to standard D&D party play. In combat s/he will be hugely vulnerable, plus a potential source of conflict as per your own account. And out of combat, without some sort of metagame mechanic to handle the research/influence augments, there is the Shadowrun-style "decker" problem.

I suspect that by now people understand my antipathy for unconstrained Divination and its accompanying plot circumvention so the design of these types of characters need to be well tested and QCed.
That's also an issue.

It seems, to me, that you don't think feats like Linguist should exist, then. It's knowledge over a feat that would increase spell-casting, after all.
First, what do you have in mind by "feat that would increase spell-casting"? You contrast 5/1/1 with 3/3/3 but I don't have a particularly strong sense of what the units of measurement are. Is a fighter who takes Skill Training - Acrobatics still at the same level in the combat pillar as a fighter who, instead, takes Toughness?

If a sorcerer is a 3, and the sorcerer then takes Superior Implement to get a +1 attack bonus, or Implement Proficiency to get a damage bonus, is that sorcerer still a 3? I'm not sure what your thresholds are.

Second, a player can take Linguist without crowding out his/her spell ability. PCs in 4e get reasonably large numbers of feats, and Linguist is but one of them. My concern with the mundane sage is that s/he would have to be significantly stronger at knowledge than the wizard in order to be comparable in play. The comparison would be building a class who is similar to the thief/rogue, but only does hiding, searching and spotting. To make that class viable, you would have to significantly reduce the relative capabilities of the thief - who, in 3E and 4e, can be an expert hider, searcher and spotter plus a strong combatant plus a superior athlete. (Trained skills in Stealth, Thievery, Acrobatics, Athletics, Perception and Endurance - there's still a slot left, two if human! - before we get to skill powers, utility powers etc.)

My objection to the mundane sage is that, in a game which presupposes scholarly magic-users whose magic is a good part of their oomph in action resolution, the mundane sage, in order to have comparable oomph, would have to be so good that it would crowd out the magic-users' scholarship.

In 4e, for example, the Sage of Ages has, as a prerequisite, membership of any Arcane class. And it grants some abilities that enhance the PC's spell use. If the game included a mundane sage, unless it was done lazy warlord or bard buffing-style, the epic destiny for that class would have to be more knowledgeable than the Sage of Ages. That is the sort of crowding out I'm objecting to.

My point is that you can make them more knowledgeable than those who use magic, or better than those who wear armor. And you don't need to water down those other archetypes to do it.
I don't see how that watering down can be avoided - as per my Sage of Ages example, plus other analysis and examples upthread and below in this post.

the game can still make magical knowledge the pinnacle of knowledge; it simply has to outpace Lore skills.
At that point, the sage class seems a little lacking in oomph. In what way is the envisaged class engaging the basic class build and advancement mechanics of the game?

Furthermore, this presupposes decent action resolution mecahnics for Lore skills. The game probably won't have such things.

I do think that trade-offs should optionally exist for those who want them.

<snip>

that sage won't exist if you stick to 3/3/3 (again, problem solved).

<snip>

how does the sage upset your game, even fictionally, if you stick to 3/3/3 builds? How does the option upset it?
Here's one version of the option: take a Human Commoner from the bestiary. Give it a background (Sage) and a specialty (Jack of all Trades). Now play it, with level giving you no benefits except unlocking your JoT skill training.

Or, if you think that's too punitive, then add in a bonus trained Lore or Social skill at every even-numbered level also.

That option does not upset my game. But I don't need WotC to publish it before I use it. Anyone can come up with that, from the materials WotC have already provided.

But if the option reflects some serious attempt at design, then it will establish what lore skills are maximally capable of in the context of the game. It will also establish what range of and disparateness in PC abilities the core scene-framing and action resolution mechanics are intended to handle. And I'll be stuck with those assumptions and designs in my game. And the wizards in my game, who lack access to the relevant class features, will be correspondingly weaker in their scholarship.

This is something that doesn't relate to the 3/3/3 default and the opt-out. It could all be 3/3/3 and have the same scene-framing and action resolution you don't like.
It's true that I could get crappy rules even if the necessary condition for good rules is there. But I'm guaranteed to get crappy rules if the necessary condition for good rules is absent. It's the latter I'm concerned about - disparate PCs, in combination with an aversion to robust metagame mechanics to link that disparateness back into party play, is in my view a fairly sure recipe for weak scene framing and weak action resolution.

They can support this, still, even with the opt-out. Just explain in the opt-out how it will change the game. You stick to 3/3/3 and a wide variety of PCs, and get the game you like. Done.
I would be surprised if WotC publish material for D&Dnext that is at the same level of design as the old Rolemaster Companions, or Dragon magazine articles: "Here, try out this thing we made up, but we offer no guarantees that it will actually work within the core framework we're providing." Maybe I'm wrong.

I don't buy that the "sage" shouldn't have the ability to be better at the non-mystic areas of knowledge than the Wizard or Cleric could be

<snip>

Is it bad that rogue knows more about brands of locks, the bard about epic songs, the ranger about a particular area of the countryside, the dwarf about styles of stone work?

<snip>

The 1st edition DMG establishes that some NPCs who focus on knowledge are much more scholarly in their respective fields than the PCs who focus on spells first (although it also says that all Sages will have some random spells as a byproduct). The 3.5 Cloistered Cleric in UA is a demonstration that the standard cleric isn't a paragon of scholasticism (and all editions of the game have had the clerics expertise divided between spell casting and combat). At the least, the Cleric and Mage have at least one area they are less knowledgable than another class in... each others. Finally, if the argument is that the Mage and Cleric need to be the most scholastic, should the other classes be banned from having feats and skills that would give them at least as strong of knowlege backgrounds (or likely stronger for some versions of the bard)?
Bards are an interesting case. In 1st ed AD&D they have Legend Lore as a class ability, and there is some ambiguity over exactly how Legend Lore is meant to be adjudicated, and whether or not it gives the same knowledge as a sage. Even for magic-users, Legend Lore - with its vague descriptions and absurdly long casting time - is more like a class ability to do research, that unlocks at 12th level, than like a spell - it contrasts markedly, in this respect, with other Divination spells like Commune, Contact Other Plane and Vision.

I agree that 3E clerics aren't very scholarly, and I'm not surprised a cloistered version was published, but I don't think this will hold true for D&Dnext clerics: there is no such thing as "only 2 skill points"; it seems likely there'll be a Knowledge domain in due course; and already clerics (like wizards and warlocks) get a free Lore skill as a 1st level class feature.

Practical knowledge - like that of the rogue, or the ranger, or even the bard's memorisation of many poems and tales - is a different thing, although D&Dnext has some trouble handling it at this stage (the relationship and difference between Survival skill and Natural Lore skill, for example, is quite unclear to me). I don't think the sage archetype includes that sort of knowledge.

And of course there is scope for some wizards or clerics to be more scholarly than others.

But my concerrn is that, once you take away the spells from a caster, to make a PC with enough "oomph" you would have to make their scholarship so good that it would be in a completely different class from what the casters can do. Just like an attempt to design a rogue-ish class who did nothing but hid and searched/spotted. Or desiging a specialist swordsman who can't wear armour, and therefore gets an attack buff.

The game has to make a design call, about what sorts of PCs it wants to support. Having decided to make scholarly spellcasters viable, or armoured swordsman viable, it doesn't have the design space, or the story space, for non-casting scholars who are noticeably better, nor for unarmoured swordsman who are noticeably better.

"The Black Company" d20 book by Green Ronin has Academician, Jack-of-all-Trades, and Noble PC classes, each with a list of characters in the novels with those classes (or multi-classes). The Academician has hp, weapons, armor, and attacks as the Wizard, but skill points as the Rogue. The primary abilities of the Academician include an extra Skill Focus feat at first level and every even level that have limited stacking (+2 the second time in a given skill, and +1 after that... ), extra intelligence boost that can be used a limited number of times per day, ability to add extra skills to their class skill list as they advance, and a special bonus when using books and libraries.
The Academician sounds a little weak, but 3E is not my game, so I could be wrong. In place of spells, the Academician gets +6 skill points per level, or in the neighbourhood of double the skill points of a wizard. (A bit less than double at higher levels, as INT bonuses grow but the base skill points to which they are added do not). The sage has greater breadth than the wizard, but the player who wants to build a sage-y wizard is not going to be crowded out, I don't think. With 6 skill points the wizard takes Spellcrafter and Knowledge (Arcana, Geography, History, Religion and The Planes). The Academician gets to add 6 more skills - say Diplomacy, Knowledge (Architecture, Local and Nobility), Perception and Sense Motive.

To me, this is closer to the Rolemaster model - the non-spell using scholar doesn't crowd the wizard out in scholarship, but has enough build resources to branch out a bit into other areas. But so as not to tread on the toes of Bards, Rangers, Rogues etc is probably going to be less than optimal in those other areas.

In D&Dnext you can get this by taking my hypothetical Commoner build above and adding d4 hit points per level. (Though what exactly these represent - why is my sickly and non-magical sage bulking up? - is a bit unclear to me.)

Then there is the Skill Focus feat, the INT boost and the library bonus. I can see two ways these can go. One way, they are mostly irrelevant, as DCs have already been set in such a way as to be viable for the wizards in the party, and the Academician is no better (or perhaps succeeds on a roll of 8 rather than 10 - D&D's out-of-combat resolution being what it is, as Hussar noted, this will be barely noticeable most of the time). A game that goes this way will reinforce my initial impression of the academician as weak.

The other way of going is that suddenly we build into scenarios situations with DCs that only the Academician can hit - that is, we change the fiction so that the wizard is no longer a superlative scholar. This is the crowding out that I expressed concern about.

And even if you stick the Academician in an optional module, the action resolution mechanics themselves still have to make a call on where DCs should be set, and what the range of expected bonuses for PCs is. (There are systems, like HeroWars/Quest, that are very flexible in this respect, and relativise DCs to party capabilities, with DCs being set approriately more-or-less on the fly - I don't think D&Dnext is going to be that sort of system, though.)

That's my concern. The core game has to be designed assuming numbers, including knowledge skill bonuses, within certain parameters. If those parameters anticipate mundane sages with superlative bonuses, the wizards etc have been crowded out. If those numbers are built to make the wizards expert scholars, than the mundane sage is, in effect, a wizard who trades spells for a slightly greater breadth of lore skills (my builds upthread do that too, in a lesser way, by taking Jack of all Trades rather than Magic User as a specialty). Which is very close to [MENTION=6684526]GreyICE[/MENTION]'s suggestion of "build a wizard, then ignore your spells".

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
Which, frankly, is the core root of ALL Edition-War-dom. None of us want the most popular, widely supported, organized, and accessible RPG to be based on rules we don't like using. The closer D&D is to our "platonic ideal," the less investment in time and resources we have to make to maximize our gaming time and experiences.
My own edition debates have a slightly different motivation - after all, I spent nearly 20 years GMing a non-D&D system (Rolemaster), and once my 4e campaign finishes I'm hoping to run a Burning Wheel game.

I just get irritated by 4e being labelled as a non-RPGing, tactical combat chassis which has no capacity to handle non-combat conflict resolution or meaningful theme or story; and by the generalisations about RPG design (say, the role of non-simulationist metagame mechanics) that such labelling implies.

If D&Dnext isn't a game I want to play that won't bother me - I just won't play it! But I don't think I'm doing any harm in saying what I would like to see in it. (For instance, I'm not in the position of having already decided to ignore it and just trying to spoil it for others - and there are features I quite like, like backgrounds - though they could be beefed up a bit, and both skills and traits have better connections to the action resolution mecahnics - and also bounded accuracy.)

Bluenose

Adventurer
Absolutely, and I hope this is a direction 5e is going. I'd rather see there be very little difference between a commoner and a 1st-level PC - the commoner is, in effect, 0th level or -1th level on the same scale.

A 0th-level fighter vs. a 4th level wizard who is out of spells? Should be a pretty even fight, all in all; though the wizard will be able to take a few more blows and keep going.

Lanefan

The reason I'd prefer higher values for some starting PCs is very simple. I want some differentiation between people who have no training, people who have some training/practice, and people who are least competent enough to do something for a living. That's at least three data points. If you take the 1st edition name Veteran for the 1st level Fighter, you're looking at more. And I want to differentiate these.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
First, what do you have in mind by "feat that would increase spell-casting"? You contrast 5/1/1 with 3/3/3 but I don't have a particularly strong sense of what the units of measurement are. Is a fighter who takes Skill Training - Acrobatics still at the same level in the combat pillar as a fighter who, instead, takes Toughness?
It depends on how much it alters that balance, doesn't it? It's obviously something that you'd need some more context to define. A feat that might "increase spell-casting" would be something that boosts attack rolls with spells (I believe Orb or Staff Expertise feats might fit this?), 3.X metamagic feats, feats that boost save DC, etc.
If a sorcerer is a 3, and the sorcerer then takes Superior Implement to get a +1 attack bonus, or Implement Proficiency to get a damage bonus, is that sorcerer still a 3? I'm not sure what your thresholds are.
I need a lot of context. Right now, I'd have trouble putting the Fighter at a 3/3/3, obviously. You'd probably need to flesh out all three pillars, then judiciously assign the same number of abilities from each pillar to each class. Give a few options to let people lean a direction, but keep the classes focused on breadth across the pillars.
Second, a player can take Linguist without crowding out his/her spell ability. PCs in 4e get reasonably large numbers of feats, and Linguist is but one of them.
My understanding was that there are enough combat feats that if one wanted to, they could further improve their spell/combat ability with that feat. If so, they're losing out of furthering their spell/combat ability by choosing Linguist.

Which, mind you, I'm okay with, for my group. I'm just saying that the same objection should be held.
My concern with the mundane sage is that s/he would have to be significantly stronger at knowledge than the wizard in order to be comparable in play.
I imagine the sage would also have decently strong social skills, which I think would make up for it. They'd be useful in two out of three pillars; something like 1/3/4. They could potentially go 1/1/5, but I'm guessing that most people wouldn't. To those who did, they'd probably be significantly better, yes. If you don't like it, you would not have to use them.

Also, your "comparable in play" usage is troubling; comparable to what? The 3/3/3 character and spotlight time? We're knowingly altering how much spotlight time we're getting by changing ourselves away from 3/3/3, so why make that comparison?
The comparison would be building a class who is similar to the thief/rogue, but only does hiding, searching and spotting. To make that class viable, you would have to significantly reduce the relative capabilities of the thief - who, in 3E and 4e, can be an expert hider, searcher and spotter plus a strong combatant plus a superior athlete.
We've been over this today. I disagree. You haven't even demonstrated why this would be the case. You just need to buff those skills for the sage.
My objection to the mundane sage is that, in a game which presupposes scholarly magic-users whose magic is a good part of their oomph in action resolution, the mundane sage, in order to have comparable oomph, would have to be so good that it would crowd out the magic-users' scholarship.
Don't play a sage type when you move away from 3/3/3! Or, heck, don't move away from 3/3/3. Problem solved.
I don't see how that watering down can be avoided - as per my Sage of Ages example, plus other analysis and examples upthread and below in this post.
By not using the opt-out. Problem avoided. If the sage is merely beefed up, then the default assumption of the Wizard (now Invoker) and your Sage of Ages is still the same.
At that point, the sage class seems a little lacking in oomph. In what way is the envisaged class engaging the basic class build and advancement mechanics of the game?
I did go on to say I don't like the approach, didn't I? I'd rather the Lore skills be better than magic.
Furthermore, this presupposes decent action resolution mecahnics for Lore skills. The game probably won't have such things.
We both keep coming back to this. I'm saying there needs to be support; you're saying "there probably won't be." That's cool, but I'm not talking about what will probably be supported, I'm talking about what I'd like to see supported.
But if the option reflects some serious attempt at design, then it will establish what lore skills are maximally capable of in the context of the game. It will also establish what range of and disparateness in PC abilities the core scene-framing and action resolution mechanics are intended to handle. And I'll be stuck with those assumptions and designs in my game. And the wizards in my game, who lack access to the relevant class features, will be correspondingly weaker in their scholarship.
No, they won't. Because if you ban the opt-out, then those class features won't exist in your game. Make it very clear that the game was designed around 3/3/3, and the optional opt-out is a campaign setting issue, and what the ramifications will likely be if you use it.

You don't want Wizards to be out-shined even in mundane Lore? Cool, nobody in your campaign has the opt-out abilities. Super easy. You didn't take an optional rule and use it. And, as I said, if you just beef up the abilities rather than nerf Lore for Wizards (and etc.), and design to 3/3/3 (like I've said), then you're not going to experience what you're describing.
It's true that I could get crappy rules even if the necessary condition for good rules is there. But I'm guaranteed to get crappy rules if the necessary condition for good rules is absent. It's the latter I'm concerned about - disparate PCs, in combination with an aversion to robust metagame mechanics to link that disparateness back into party play, is in my view a fairly sure recipe for weak scene framing and weak action resolution.
Two solutions! One (that always seems to work) is don't use the opt-out, and use 3/3/3 (problem solved). Two, they can certainly include rules for meta-resolution; it's all optional rules, after all, and if they give you options to choose from, people can pick the stuff they like. I don't know if they'd go for this, but I'm not against it.
I would be surprised if WotC publish material for D&Dnext that is at the same level of design as the old Rolemaster Companions, or Dragon magazine articles: "Here, try out this thing we made up, but we offer no guarantees that it will actually work within the core framework we're providing." Maybe I'm wrong.
Another comment on "what is likely" when I'm talking about "what I want to see." I get that yours is a valid reply to my post, I'm just not talking about that subject at the moment.
That's my concern. The core game has to be designed assuming numbers, including knowledge skill bonuses, within certain parameters. If those parameters anticipate mundane sages with superlative bonuses, the wizards etc have been crowded out. If those numbers are built to make the wizards expert scholars, than the mundane sage is, in effect, a wizard who trades spells for a slightly greater breadth of lore skills (my builds upthread do that too, in a lesser way, by taking Jack of all Trades rather than Magic User as a specialty).
My proposal is to design to 3/3/3, and then clearly inform people to what will happen if they tip that balance, but give them the option to opt-out of forced balance. He'll have more Lore than the Wizard, potentially bigger bonuses (doesn't need to be by a lot), he might have advantage on some rolls, he might have some rerolls, he might get to make up his answers, he might get to use his Lore in new ways that normal people don't. There's a lot of ways you can go with it without hosing Wizard's breadth built around 3/3/3.
Which is very close to GreyICE's suggestion of "build a wizard, then ignore your spells".
For whatever reason, I'm a stickler on the mechanics matching the fiction. I need that to happen to enjoy a game. As always, play what you like :)

I'm going to have to disagree here. Does it serve any "mechanical" function other than the one you outline? Hmmm, not really.

But the fact that a "Perform: Instrument" skill exists in the rules has a lot of "unspoken," un-mechanically-defined consequences.

1. It indicates to the players and GM, however imperfect the mechanic is, that characters have out-of-combat abilities, and that there's at least THE POSSIBILITY that they matter in the fiction.

That's blatantly obvious. And 4e has out of combat skills so this isn't a point of difference. You don't use Diplomacy in the middle of a fight. Or Streetwise. So the possibility is there. What 4e lacks are non-adventuring skills. Skills like craft and profession. And the rules for Perform fit that category - the skills you use when you aren't actually doing much at the table.
  1. It's at least an attempt, however imperfect, for those who like "nods to realism" at attempting to codify how good the character is at their chosen skill. Because sometimes it MATTERS in the fiction whether your PC is a middlin' lute strummer, or a medieval Joe Satriani. And maybe a player or GM doesn't want to leave that to fiat.

And I've seen both played in 4e. Ultimately it's charisma, class, and background. This is a tax to fit the character concept.

1. For some players, it provides a roleplaying "hook" for them to engage with. It may help them frame character desires and interactions, or more readily place their characters within the fiction, making their gameplay and interactions with the world more immersive.

Thie might be a point.

It's fine if the skill mechanic does none of those things for you. But the existence of the skill at all can clearly have more impact on gameplay than a roll of the dice to see whether you succeed on any particular performance.

So can everything else. Like the existance of backgrounds, of themes, of rituals (and with just the ritual caster abilities, 4e concepts leave 3.X ones in the dust).

I find that the existence of the perform, profession, knowledge, and craft skills are at least as if not more important for setting a "tone" for world building as they are in actual PC implementation.

You mean that they are there and never used in play? Huh. I find that for worldbuilding what I need is a set of rules that won't force themselves too hard into my game.

My own edition debates have a slightly different motivation - after all, I spent nearly 20 years GMing a non-D&D system (Rolemaster), and once my 4e campaign finishes I'm hoping to run a Burning Wheel game.

I do wonder if there is a divide between roleplayers and D&D players. Most of the general roleplayers I know come down on the 4e side of the edition wars - and weren't too impressed by earlier editions.

I just get irritated by 4e being labelled as a non-RPGing, tactical combat chassis which has no capacity to handle non-combat conflict resolution or meaningful theme or story; and by the generalisations about RPG design (say, the role of non-simulationist metagame mechanics) that such labelling implies.

I get annoyed at it because it is a bare faced lie. 4e literally has more capacity to handle non-combat baked into the structure of the game than any other edition of D&D that preceeded it. With ritual casting it finally opens a vast range of PCs that not even 3.X with its supposed flexibility could touch. Concepts like The Grey Mouser - one of the heroes of Appendix N.

Perversely there are two things 4e does worse than earlier editions. The first is High Powered Anime/Wuxia style. The second is combat-heavy dungeoncrawling. And what are the normal accusations levelled at 4e? (Of course to do those everyone needs to be a caster in 3.X).

If D&Dnext isn't a game I want to play that won't bother me - I just won't play it! But I don't think I'm doing any harm in saying what I would like to see in it.

Likewise. My interest is in it being a good game. I don't give a damn about the traditions of D&D.

Remove ads