Gaming W/Jemal: Planar Quest! (Closed)

Which Setting would you prefer Jemal to DM?

• Meh, Neither grabs my attention.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Poll closed .

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
As a reminder, Whether you were together before the lich is up to you guys, but the LICH adventure is the most recent thing that happened, ending within the last.. month or so, and by the end of it you should all be working together (except raven, who works in elsewhere).
Alright, I missed somethng somewhere [MENTION=9026]Jemal[/MENTION]. The only place I saw the lich mentionned was in Mei Ying's background. I had no idea it had anything to do with the Planar Quest. Where is the info that I may catch up?

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I purchased a rod of absorption with avail. cash. how much was each share of the chariot?

nevermind, found it

8,300-My Share of the Charriot of the Clouds

Last edited:

Binder Fred

K, I'm off to bed, Would someone be able to gather the background stuff into a rough timeline of what happened when and who joined who where?
Done. You can see it here in the RG. I added a few twists/suggestions (I'm looking at *you* VV :)). If anybody wants to change something, let me know. If anybody wants to add a paragraph (other adventures, etc), please write it in this thread, tell me where you want it in the chronology and I'll paste it over.

Scott DeWar

Ok, I looked for
Fighting armored ogres ridding even more heavily armored dire bears in the frozen wastes below the South Peak Glaciers. Ur uses Expansion for the first time.[/quot]

and didn't find it anywhere, BUT, in case it is there and I just simply missed it:

One of the tasks of Gerard's besides helping Ur to make it through life with his mental breakdown is to check into incursions of undead any where he is sent. One time was in the area of the mountains held as sougvern territory of the ogre tribe known as the Fists of Ogruk. this tribe was just a play toy to the frost giant who calls himself Ogruk, good father in giantish, and "benevolently gave" a large portion of mountainous land to a small tribe of hungry ogres. this land had cattle and sheep herders in the summer-easy food for the hungry and preditious tribe who were told that the herdsmen were trespassers.

ogruk took some of the tribe and organized them-miners to get iron ore from the earth, bearhandlers to train. others did his bidding as his needs. eventually he had shock troops to guard his territory while he did his actual work: to raise the undead king of frost giants known as Marazel Epan. [awakened advanced iron infused skeleton [+ 1 size] high priest of cloud giants] A name that was only said in whispers, if at all.

OOC: am I going too far with this? stop me now if I am.

kinem

Adventurer
Just because your morals and beliefs differ from other peoples does not give you the right to say other people's views are ridiculous.

True, it doesn't give me the right; I already have that right and nothing can take that away!

Jemal, right there is the part of your post that I have the most problem with. I have the right to say whatever I want. Freedom of speech is one of the most important rights. The more that people invoke 'moral' or religious beliefs, the more important it is to be able to ridicule and denounce those beliefs. Speech can be countered with more speech; never with a denial of the right to speak.

Perhaps what you meant to say was more along the lines of "Just because your morals and beliefs differ from other peoples does not mean you are correct in saying other people's views are ridiculous."

I don't know if you did mean that but it's problematic as well: Obviously only an idiot would say that a view is ridiculous just because it differs from his own and for no additional reason. So if that's what you meant you were merely insulting me, not trying to deny my ability to speak.

While I believe and say that many views are ridiculous, I do so only for the ones that deserve it.

And yes, the example of not using PAO because it's "too deadly given your morals" does deserve ridicule - it's neither deadly, nor of much moral weight compared to the outcome of a high level battle which typically affects many lives.

Respect is a reaction, not a choice; there is no way I could "choose to" respect a view that seems foolish to me.

Unless they're into scientology.. then they just crazy..

While I agree about scientology ;), the difference between that remark and what I said is that I did not get personal. I attacked the view, not the person holding it - that's the way to do it.

It has nothing to do with justification. Can it end the battle in one stroke? Yes, but it has a higher tendency to do absolutely nothing.

Suppose we catch the big bad in his private room by surprise. We can attack to do damage, but we know we can't take him down in one or two rounds. Given the chance, he will escape, heal, buff himself, and return with his main allies. Would it not be foolish to pass up even a 15% chance to take him down in one stroke? Many similar scenarios come to mind.

In any case, the party we ended up with is not balanced in power. I guess we'll have to see how it plays out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

... followed by a short adventure through Braham's desert on our way back ...

For a desert adventure, how about this: A river was drying up, and we needed to conduct a ritual to summon a powerful water genie in order to restore it. Enemies of the nearby city, Gebe, sent bands of monsters and adventurers to try to stop the summoning, and we had to fend them off while continuing the ritual. It's an inversion of the so-often-used "PCs have to stop the evil summoning" plot :)

Scott DeWar

For a desert adventure, how about this: A river was drying up, and we needed to conduct a ritual to summon a powerful water genie in order to restore it. Enemies of the nearby city, Gebe, sent bands of monsters and adventurers to try to stop the summoning, and we had to fend them off while continuing the ritual. It's an inversion of the so-often-used "PCs have to stop the evil summoning" plot

that a certain charm to it.

Having said that, I have to admit to having a mental exhaustion, as I still suffer from last year's sickness, so I may be a bit slow to respond to the, the most challenging game I have worked on ever.

Worry not friends. I am not quitting, I am just going to slow down on creative writing. This may only last a couple of days.

Shayuri

First Post
Okay, I'm removing Polymorph Any Object from my spell list.

Lets hope this closes the case. :)

Plenty of good 8th level spells to choose from. And now I don't need to Spell Focus Transmutation either, so I've got some feats.

Kinem, what are some ways we could improve balance d'ya think?

kinem

Adventurer
Kinem, what are some ways we could improve balance d'ya think?

3.5 is just not balanced between classes at high level. 4e is (or so I assume) but I'm not a fan of it at all.

If we were trying to better balance power - though I certainly don't want to redesign what we have - maybe a full caster should start with half as much wealth as a fighter. Perhaps a better way to do it would be to start with less wealth, but then give each character custom items designed to balance things after the builds are known.

But I'm not sure that's the right way to go. Perhaps there is a 'balance of fun' that's more important than balance of power. Maybe that's why D&D works after all.

For example, suppose there are 2 characters:
PC#1 deals a lot of damage, but has moderate defenses.
PC#2 deals considerably less damage, but is basically immune to all attacks, and can move around quickly.

PC#2 is clearly far more powerful than PC#1. He could beat PC#1 easily, and can beat any monsters that the team could beat, while PC#1 couldn't.

But which is more fun to play? Since they work as a team, PC#1 will drop more foes. And he's the one who can be harmed, so any combat drama will center around danger to him.

As I said, we'll have to see how it plays out.

Binder Fred

Ok, I looked for
Fighting armored ogres ridding even more heavily armored dire bears in the frozen wastes below the South Peak Glaciers. Ur uses Expansion for the first time.

and didn't find it anywhere.
It was mentionned in Ur's "Power Explanation" sblock in the RG

am I going too far with this? stop me now if I am.
Well, it depends. :) What's the rest of the story (how did the PCs win (assuming they even won)?)? Perhaps most importantly, what did they take out of it? What was gained/lost/what changed because of this adventure?

My idea when putting up the Scrolls was that it would be a reference for important milestones in the party's history: adventures that brought in new members, that saw the loss of old members, that led to finding out about major plot point (Iridex for example) or to major changes in (one or more) PC's life (the discovery of the Book of CiAn, leading Ur to begin taking Psychic Fist levels, conflicts, important life events, meaningful/signature magic items/spells, etc. Does that help frame things a little in your head re your story?

I put it under the "Numerous Adventures" heading in the RG post (meaning Tutek wasn't there for this one). Let me know if you see it somewhere else instead.

Put the Desert adventure in there as well, though I'm waiting with baited breath - like us all, I imagine :) - for details on Jemal's Lich quest before we can even begin to work out the exact chronology of these later quests. Jemal, any hints? Where would this quest have taken place for example? Rauland? The Eternal Empire? Dealer's choice? Why must it absolutely be the most recent one?

Kinem, I think Shayuri was refering specifically to having a balanced selection of spells between your two PCs.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases