D&D 4th Edition The Bigger They Come . . .

+ Log in or register to post

Hybrid View

The Bigger They Come . . .

They come in several forms in D&D, and James describes quite a few of them in this week??s Wandering Monsters. Come take a peek at which ones he covered and give us your opinion about these descriptions!

Read The Bigger They Come . . . on D&D Insider here!

I really like this one, my only nitpick is that hill giants hate magic so much, that they are resistant to it to a lesser degree...

Warder
    I LIKE COMBAT AS WAR!!!!!!

the essence of D&D is "The thrill of victory the agony of a natural 1" - Mike Mearls, Gen Con 2012

Starting From the Ground Up - ACKS Economic system
    Starting From the Grounds Up, Part II - ACKS Economic system

Guide (Lvl 11)

Ignore Chris_Nightwing
    Natural selection! They're always deliberately fighting magic-users, and only the resistant ones survive to reproduce.

Generally I like giants. I'd like to know a bit more about their societies though.
    Everyone is weird, but those who are weird in the same way call themselves normal.

The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

Ignore Dausuul
    Eh. I'm not a fan of putting giants in a rigid hierarchy. For a primordial, elemental race, it's way too organized. And what does it even mean to be "higher" or "lower" in that hierarchy? On average, a cloud giant can beat a fire giant in a one-on-one duel, but that doesn't imply that fire giants are subservient to cloud giants any more than humans are subservient to bears.

With regard to the specifics of the races, I like the cloud and fire giant writeups (aside from the hierarchy bits). I could really do without the emo storm giants. The others are okay, nothing spectacular IMO.

There is no fluff. There is no crunch. There are only rules of varying precision.

Waghalter (Lvl 7)

Ignore tlantl
    In the fire giant section there was mention of subdued dragons. I'm wondering if this was a figure of speech or if the rules for subduing dragons will be resurrected.
    Last edited by tlantl; Tuesday, 25th September, 2012 at 03:12 PM.

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Ignore gweinel
    Although i like the quantity of the infos i found the infos a bit boring. I think they could make the giants a bit more interesting being ofc true to their dnd history.

Potassium-Rich Moderator
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Blog Entries

Ignore Kamikaze Midget
    My communities:

Pretty positive. I certainly recognize the giants in that. Not nearly as controversial as the Minotaur.

These line up about with what I expect, and they also have a nice tether. I like the idea of "ancient giants" as a unified culture, and it goes well with the mythological link to Titans. It also makes it easy for them to work together: rather than have six disperate kinds of monsters, you might have a Cloud Giant who lives at the top of a volcanic mountain with a glacier, and marshals Fire and Frost giants under her reign, while Stone giants might be mercenary recruits and Hill Giants serve as the front-line brutes and a reclusive Storm Giant in the clouds above the peak may be a potential ally for the party. So you can use a lot of different giants, rather than using six different flavors of Fire Giant.

I'm a little eyebrow-raising about the link to FR. The more I see those words dropped, the more I'm thinking 5e's "example setting" might be FR. Which I guess is fine, since FR IS pretty generic D&D (leaving Greyhawk for the more pulpy Sword-and-Sorcery sandbox style, and Dragonlance for the more story-oriented "Fantasy Opera" style), but if that is the case, it's something I'd be a little peery of. Not a bad idea, just keeps me a little suspicious.
    Last edited by Kamikaze Midget; Tuesday, 25th September, 2012 at 04:17 PM.
    -- Jacob J Driscoll, Unsleeping---
    "A one inch mound of flesh with a scar running down it"

PS5e v. 0.1: Faction Backgrounds
    Tieflings (& other planetouched) | Bariaur | Githzerai | Outcaste Modron
    FINAL FANTASY ZERO
    finalfantasyzero.wikidot.com

Maybe it was exaggeration or maybe the author has never been to a farm, but anyone else how BIG hill giants are being described as?

"A hill giant can eat a pig in one bite or a cow in two"

No way that isn't huge size class unless they have mouths like a Tsuburu No Oni.

And that is the weakest of the giants. So it sound like giants are going to be notably bigger than 3E.

Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

Ignore Kinak
    Nothing terribly surprising. Honestly, the best part was the Forgotten Realms lore. I'm not a Realms fan, so at least that was new to me and I wouldn't terribly mind some of that being included in the MM.

Cheers!
    Kinak

+ Log in or register to post