• Search Engine

Votes: 30 10.6%
  • Publisher Website (not WotC)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Other Fan Site/Messageboard

Votes: 21 7.4%
  • WotC's Website

Votes: 7 2.5%
  • Heard about it at Gen Con (or other convention)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Recommended by a friend

Votes: 23 8.1%
  • Gravity

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Don't remember

Votes: 15 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Migrated From Eric's Site

Votes: 180 63.4%

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
I checked "migrated".

I found Eric's site via search engine.

I only got interested in 3e after the release of the core books... so that would be Christmas 2000. I had stopped playing D&D just after the release of 2e (never bought it) and had been running an OD&D campaign for a while and though that 3e sounded like my idea of a good time.

My wife ordered the core books for me for christmas, and I started reading what was available for it on the web so far. Eric Noah's archived news let me read a lot about the material in the books prior to getting them.

I started a fan site (called "The Iron Keep").

It got a few hits here and there.

Then I scooped my fansite on Eric's news... and WHAM, three to five thousand hits a day.

And I stuck.

Olive

Explorer
migrated, referred to eric's by a friend.

i was just remembering the sinking feeling i got when i saw eric was closing, and how much better i felt when morrus said he was reopening it...
thanks to the both of yas...

smetzger

Explorer
From Eric's sight of course.

A more interesting question for the old timers. How did you find Eric's sight?

I believe I found Eric's sight from rec.games.frp.dnd but it may have been from WOTC boards, anyone remember Synaptic Dragon and Balsamic Dragon? I started reading his news page pretty much from the beginning, there weren't a whole lot of surprises when I got my PHB the day it came out :)
I didn't start posting to Eric's sight until WOTC's boards went down, for a month or more and Deja News folded the same month. Thus, if you didn't have a news feed there was no place to post except Eric's.

the Jester

Legend
smetzger said:
I believe I found Eric's sight from rec.games.frp.dnd but it may have been from WOTC boards, anyone remember Synaptic Dragon and Balsamic Dragon?

Yes I do, as a matter of fact!

I believe it was the wotc mailing list.

GrayIguana

First Post
Just so you have the info Morrus. I checked other publisher as I found your link at Monte Cook's site. I check the news here regularly, and then found the message boards. Though I normally lurk more than post, I have enjoyed a lot of the information I've found here.

Cutty Sark

First Post
I hadn't played D&D for years and I was the GM for a game of Shadowrun that some of my friends wanted to start. I was browsing around what is now dumpshock.com - the Shadowrun equivalent of these boards. I think it was the Deep Resonance forums then. Doesn't matter. I found a thread about D&D, which was odd, and I read it. It was odd. No one said anything about THAC0. It took me about thirteen posts to decide that they were talking about a new game. It had been out for a while, and somebody linked to the ENWorld site. I read stuff on the boards for at least three hours, and the next day I made a trip to the bookstore and then called my friends to tell them there was no way in hell we were playing Shadowrun that weekend.

Eosin the Red

First Post
Like some others, I had actually stopped playing D&D and was primarily a HERO kinda guy. I remember reading somewhere (Greytalk?) that a new edition was coming out, so I thought I would see what it was about.

I was (still am) a computer dunce - for the longest time I did not know what a message board was, eventually after seeing hints for months on the front page and the tangent parts of the site - I figured out how to get in. The board was one of those tree type horrid things that I still can't follow. I could not figure out how to register, so I just watched.

Embarassing story - I sent Eric an e-mail once asking him to post something for me because I could not figure the dang thing out! Within 30 min of sending said e-mail, I discovered the register process. I thought it was some kind of members only thing.

Remove ads