Item of Infinite Magic Missiles?

Magic Missile at will, you ask? I know an item which does that. It's called a Wand of Magic Missile!

This is exactly what I would recommend.

I am always very leery of any infinite use items, because they are doorways to methods of abuse you never imagined and can unintentionally change the entire feel of the game. A normal wand should have enough charges to be useful for the purposes that have been mentioned (running out of spells, etc) without encouraging players to find ways to break the world with their new toy.

Celebrim

Legend
This is exactly what I would recommend.

I am always very leery of any infinite use items...

And well you should be. I learned this lesson as a 9th grade DM when I decided that 1e cantrips were minor enough to be allowed as at will spells. It wasn't so much that I was wrong, as the fact that since casting the spell had no obvious cost it totally derailed sessions as players set around casting the spells every round and in every situation. I vowed never again.

I don't think there is good precendent for introducing a use activated device that casts instantaneous effect spells.

However, magic missile is about as safe as a spell can be if you want to have a one-off infinite use item. It has no economic value (other than as a helpful device for a rat catcher). It doesn't effect objects (so no using it to tunnel through walls). It has no utility other than replacing an attack action, and is roughly balanced with the actions available to other classes - that is, at 1st level a fighter ought to average above 3.5 damage per round (say, average 7 damage hitting roughly half the time) and a 10th level fighter or rogue ought to average at or above 17.5 damage per round. If for some reason they don't, you'll want to reprice the item to make it less attractive or consider examining your rules for martial classes. In particular, consider what the item would do to the parties average damage per round if everyone in the party had one. If that would significantly up the parties average damage output, its probably something you want to be really careful about.

The main things I'd want to watch for is that the device is not obviously more attractive than a wand. In particular, I'd want to avoid the 'push button fireball shooter' effect, that ends up turning your game from a fantasy feel to a sci-fi feel (in magical costume). I'd want to limit the item to people who can cast the spell or have sufficient use magical device skill. Unless you want players running around with blasters and light sabers, be careful about introducing them into your game.

However, magic missile is about as safe as a spell can be if you want to have a one-off infinite use item...<good stuff>

...is roughly balanced with the actions available to other classes...<more good stuff>...

The main things I'd want to watch for is that the device is not obviously more attractive than a wand. In particular, I'd want to avoid the 'push button fireball shooter' effect, that ends up turning your game from a fantasy feel to a sci-fi feel (in magical costume). I'd want to limit the item to people who can cast the spell or have sufficient use magical device skill. Unless you want players running around with blasters and light sabers, be careful about introducing them into your game.

Your points here are all completely valid... for Warlocks. The at-will powers of a Warlock are nicely balanced and are no direct threat to the roles of other players, but can fundamentally change the feel of the game and how characters use and treat magic. Your argument nicely summarizes this.

OTOH, now that I think about it, a player asking for an infinite use item of Magic Missle is essentially a player asking for really cheap access to Warlock class abilities through the simple use of an item. And that doesn't sound particularly fun to me. Then again, I also don't think the Monk's belt should grant Wis bonus to AC, and think more feats should be Fighter only. I also have trouble feeling sorry for a wizard who runs out of spells for the day or prepared the wrong spells for the situation he's in; those are major balancing factors of the class. My opinion is obviously biased.

So, as you say, allowing this hypothetical item is probably mechanically balanced, but changes the fundamental feel of the game. Changes it in a way that I personally don't like. My answer to "how much would this item cost" would be "one class level; multiclass with Warlock".

Greenfield

Adventurer
Pardon me for asking, but what system are you using? Everyone seems to be assuming 3.5, but it was never actually stated.

Next question: If this is 3.5 you're talking about, how did they get at-will access to the spell in the first place?

Third question: If they can cast Magic Missile at will in your campaign, why would they need an item?

Sorry if these seem silly, but I keep thinking I've missed something.

Pardon me for asking, but what system are you using? Everyone seems to be assuming 3.5, but it was never actually stated.

Next question: If this is 3.5 you're talking about, how did they get at-will access to the spell in the first place?

Third question: If they can cast Magic Missile at will in your campaign, why would they need an item?

Sorry if these seem silly, but I keep thinking I've missed something.

1. The Eldritch Giant is from the D+D 3.5 Monster Manual III, so D+D 3.5 is a pretty safe assumption.

2. The Eldritch Giant has the ability to use MM at will as a spell-like ability. It's in the stat block.

3. The players want to emulate the ability as a weapon. The giants don't need the item, the players do. The giant was the inspiration.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases