D&D 5E Our 4th Playtest - Going for the Crown

Rhenny

Adventurer
I see the criticism of the playtest package's difficulty rating from a lot of people, and a lot of discussion about it.

Do people really believe that there is much to be gained by WOTC attempting to balance the internal dynamics between monsters/PC's before the combat system is fully developed(or at least close to publishable?). Does anyone, really, believe the power imbalance isn't completely intentional and by design?

How do you balance this sort of thing when basic combat mechanics are still in such flux? It would literally be wasted work as the system changed and evolved through the design process. Any internal balancing is going to be instantly undone by even a moderate modification of a PC or monsters 'damage out-put'.

Does anyone think WOTC released this set of rules thinking the monster/pc damage balances were functioning like they would be in a published polished product? There seems to be a common consensus that damage is too high, and monsters are too easy in the current play-test, but for me, that just sounds like things are working as they're suppose to. This is an opportunity for WOTC to test a lot of different design waters, and get pretty much instant feedback from the community. Do people think they would be better served by not pushing the combat system in extreme directions and getting feedback on it? Now they've got 'data' to work on, but without the initial testing of that 'high damage' scenario, there's little 'data' to move forward with, just more designer intuition.

You are absolutely right. I can totally see how they are focusing on PC development at this point, and I'm ok with that. I'm sure it will be much easier for them to work on the monsters after all of the PC work is solidified. I just want to make sure they hear our voices so that when they do calibrate PCs vs. Monsters, they make it lean more towards the challenging side and give DMs simple to follow guidelines to alter monsters from Standard to Elite, or Solo, or down to "mook". I am optimistic that they will do this.

slobo777

First Post
I see the criticism of the playtest package's difficulty rating from a lot of people, and a lot of discussion about it.

Do people really believe that there is much to be gained by WOTC attempting to balance the internal dynamics between monsters/PC's before the combat system is fully developed(or at least close to publishable?).

Yes I really believe that.

PC and monster abilities are not at all easy to evaluate separately, and I don't think the designers are actually intending that to the happen in the playtest. There is a difference between "not polished, not quite consistent" which is reasonable, and "not fun to play" which reflects badly on the playtest and will need fixing ASAP.

In software terms, open playtesting is not a unit test, where items are considered in isolation, it is a functional test with a look at the whole thing as it will be used.

VinylTap

First Post
Yes I really believe that.

PC and monster abilities are not at all easy to evaluate separately, and I don't think the designers are actually intending that to the happen in the playtest. There is a difference between "not polished, not quite consistent" which is reasonable, and "not fun to play" which reflects badly on the playtest and will need fixing ASAP.

In software terms, open playtesting is not a unit test, where items are considered in isolation, it is a functional test with a look at the whole thing as it will be used.

But how do you manage monster hit points before you've pinned down how much damage a PC is going to put out a turn?

MortalPlague

Adventurer
But how do you manage monster hit points before you've pinned down how much damage a PC is going to put out a turn?
You really have to try and hit a moving target.

How do you know what the right amount of damage is for a PC to deal unless you know what monster hp should be?

How do you know how powerful armor is without having a concept of what sort of attack bonuses monsters will have?

These things are defined in a large part by their opposite components. How much damage a PC should do depends on how often they hit, what monster defenses and abilities look like, and how many hit points monsters have. They have to plug numbers into all of those and adjust them until the balance is good. It's all part of a larger system.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases