Big changes a'coming! Merging the D&D forums

Mattachine

Adventurer
Good luck with this, Morrus.

I am concerned about threads being mis-tagged with the wrong game or edition. Also, as others said, it seems that non DDN threads are likely to be pushed down off of page one rather quickly.

Morrus, you noted that traffic decreased when forums split. True. There is no evidence that merged forums will increase traffic. What happens if merged forums decrease traffic, as well?

If the new system doesn't seem to be working out, change back quickly.

Riley

Legend
Supporter
Great idea, Morrus! ENWorld hasn't been nearly as interesting to read since the ''All Threads'' button disappeared.

I like one stop shopping, and I am potentially interested in a discussion of anything from OD&D to Next.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
There is one notable problem with the icons that I encounter. I browse with graphics shut off to reduce the company bandwidth I use up when taking a break at work. Sometimes, threads with art discussions or photos use up a noticeable amount of capacity (I actually got called about it a few years ago when I encountered a thread with father's day pictures on CM and my network IT guys noticed I spiked as the top internet user all of a sudden).

The icons become invisible when browsing with graphics off, which makes them largely useless. Most other navigational icons on the site, like the Pages at the beginning of a thread title, appear as a descriptive link (in this case "Go to the first new post"). Can the controls in the icon column be set up to do something similar?

Rhyssa

First Post
Agree with others that the graphic icon prefixes aren't very user friendly. It would make much more sense to just use text prefixes and that would allow the option to include choices such as "general topic" or "meta-discussion" or "random" (just examples, of course) and those could be color-coded for easier viewing.

Grand_Director

Explorer
Sounds great. It was getting to be a bit of a slog with the division. You would think that one could just check all the forums but it never worked out that way for me...odd.

Matthias

Explorer
The only board I have ever seen with a tag function that actually worked was one where the tags were reader-generated. That is, users had the option to add tags to a post, or to up-vote from the tags that were already added. The tag with the most votes was then the primary tag, and all the extra tags were listed in order of votes. This removed the need for the original poster to include a tag, and also allowed for the tag(s) to change if the focus of the thread changed. Unfortunately, I doubt ENWorld has the ability to emulate this feature.

This should be implemented if at all possible.

Janx

Hero
Great idea, Morrus! ENWorld hasn't been nearly as interesting to read since the ''All Threads'' button disappeared.

I like one stop shopping, and I am potentially interested in a discussion of anything from OD&D to Next.

I never left the General Discussion forum, and I've noticed a considerable decline in the frequency of discussions. Apparently everybody holed up in their own little favorite game edition sub-forum.

Since I don't bother delving into those, things were looking pretty dead to me.

I reckon this might make the forum interesting to read again.

Remove ads