Need help with a dispute re: Druids and shared spells

Dimwhit

Explorer
We have a debate going on in our group about a Druid's ability to share spells with him animal companion.

The short of it is, does the animal companion have to meet prerequisites of the spell, or is it only the Druid that does? Understanding, of course, that the description says spells that don't normally affect creatures of the Animal type still work on the animal companion. (Though I think that applies to spells cast directly on the companion.)

The exact situation is the Druid in our party casting Luminous Armor on himself (from BoED) and having it affect the companion. The requirement of the spell is that it must be cast on a creature of Good alignment. The companion is neutral.

Side A argues that the Druid is the target of the spell, not the animal companion. The companion simply gets to share the effect of the spell, so as long as the Druid meets the requirement, the companion benefits.

Side B argues that the animal companion has to meet the prerequisites of the spell to get the affect. Except for the exception that allows spells not normally affecting Animal types to work on the animal companion.

Which side is correct?

jefgorbach

First Post
RAW agrees with Side-A.

"At the druid’s option, she may have any spell (but not any spell-like ability) she casts upon herself also affect her animal companion. .... A druid and her animal companion can share spells even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the companion’s type (animal)."

Empirate

First Post
Hmm... in spite of the rules quotation seeming to support side A, I'd say it actually supports side B:

If they took the trouble of pointing out that type difference makes no matter, but didn't do so for alignment as well (or other possible factors, such as size, special qualities etc.), then I'd say alignment and other factors are explicitly not covered by Share Spells.

So you can share a spell even if it normally doesn't affect Animal type creatures. But you cannot share a spell if there exists some other way in which the animal companion would not be subject to that spell.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases