D&D 5E Oh Hai Katana!

Salamandyr

Adventurer
I think you should read the "Loyal Readers" section of Dragon Magazine #67 from November 1982. Gary Gygax pretty much all but comes out and says that D&D's default cultural template and set of assumptions is essentially European medieval fantasy.

He mentions that he intended to move the monk class to an appendix and states that adding a samurai class would be "compounding error" and that such classes belong in "an Oriental-based game." He believed that non-European Medieval themed classes and their associated trappings (notably, he mentions arms and armour) should be saved for "...another version of the AD&D game system which is based on Sino-Japanese culture." He even goes so far as to call for "special rules" for when Eastern and Western cultures encounter one another. Clearly, the game's creator intended for the game to feature a firm boundary between East & West.

So, yeah: default D&D was--at least in the mind of its creator--based on Medieval Europe, and he makes it pretty plain in the article mentioned above.

Now, mind you, I'm not arguing that it still should be based on Medieval Europe anymore, but let's be honest with ourselves--the game did have a heavy Euro-Medieval flavor in its early years.

Odds are, I have read it, 25 years ago or so. But so what? EGG said a lot of things in the 80's that contradicted what he had said and done earlier. The fact remains that EGG regularly included material from all over the world in his game, right from the very start. I agree with him there's no reason for a samurai class. The fighter class is perfectly adequate to describe samurai, knights, or jannisaries.

Tony Vargas

Legend
The Macuahuitl, a slashing weapon that was made by mixing a wooden core with cutting edges made of very sharp obsidian, used somewhat like a sword,
A sort of stone-age sword, yeah. In RuneQuest, the Dragonewts' Klanth was basically the same weapon, described and statted as an 'obsidian-edged broadsword.' The RL Aztec weapon might have been used more like a club, comparable to a morningstar, anklys or a variety of other weapons, but 'bladed' rather than 'spiked.'

The Katara, a "punching dual-edged shortsword" very usefull for stabbing and parrying... Some versions even had a shield integrated that provided further protection for the hand and wrist.
The 'punch-dagger' pattern has seen some use in the west, too. Combined with a shield and additional projections in the quixotic 'lantern shield,' for instance.

The Chakram, a bladed steel ring, it is a throwing weapon ... The Wind and Fire Wheels. Like a melee chakram, but crazier, it has multiple hooks and blades that allow to trip and disarm, but also to parry, it can be used to either pierce or slash.
And the former is Indian and the latter Chinese, so neither is quite unique, I suppose. But they are pretty odd weapons. ;)

Someone

Adventurer
Everyone knows that a katana:

- Can be wielded one handed with more damage than a longsword, and can be finessed;
- Can be wielded two handed with more damage than a greatsword, and can be finessed;
- Can be dual wielded without penalty by a ninja;
- Has a crit range of 2 - infinity;
- Pierces all armor, except plain cloth, more effectively than other weapons;
- Is made from adamantium fairy farts
- Has a +5 kewl wepun bonus.

Also, if you put a katana under a trenchcoat it'll magically adhere to it, never falling, causing any bulge or discomfort to the wearer, or showing in any other way.

Daggerswan

First Post
So...

If you want DnD core to be European/Mediterranean-based: don't use the name katana (because it is specific to a culture that is not European/Mediterranean-based)

If you want DnD core to be generic: don't use the name katana (since it is very specific to a culture)

Are we now all in agreement to get rid of the name? Not that we actually make any of the decisions.

slobster

Hero
I know this will convince no one, but I suppose I just want to throw out my two coppers.

I want them to have a katana in the phb, because some kid will be flipping through the book somewhere and see the katana, and think, "man I totally want to play this game! Katanas and ninjas and samurai are awesome!" No kids will get so excited about a "curved long sword". And that, to me, makes it worth the infinitesimal hassle of renaming the weapon for a western-themed game.

Last edited:

Daggerswan

First Post
Slob, that kid probably never met Brian's cousin. :)

When I think of Katana one of two things come to mind:
Some Japanese dude who shaves the top of his head, walks bow-legged, and never smiles.
or
A pale guy with a receding hairline, a ponytail, and a neckbeard.

But I see your point. If the katana brings in new players that otherwise would not play if there wasn't one, I will cede the field.

Salamandyr

Adventurer
Interesting aside, the book I'm reading currently includes a samurai currently fighting a European warrior monk, in Europe in an area roughly around Poland, near as I can tell, in or around 1300.

How did he get there? He's an alcoholic ronin, living in Korea when it's overrun by the Mongol Empire. His fighting skills are impressive enough that the Mongols choose to keep him around for gladiatorial style games, which is how he winds up fighting a European warrior monk, who incidently fights the way warrior monks generally fight if they can manage it, in full armor with a sword. Meanwhile other members of the Order are trekking across the steppes of Russia to assassinate the Khan of Khans in order to break the Mongol advance on Europe. Other chapters follow an intrepid young member of the Khan's household.

If you get the chance, I suggest giving the Mongoliad a read. It's fun.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases