D&D 5E Art: Goblinoids, Take Two

Klaus

First Post
I don't understand why people think this hobgoblin is too much like an orc. I think they're really a great contrast to orcs--orcs are savage and bestial barbarians, hobgoblins are buttoned-up, intelligent soldiers. Orcs are a threat because they are strong and brutal, hobgoblins are a threat because they are organized and strategic.

I think the breakthrough of the hobgoblin Jon showed is that it's less monstrous (orc-like) and more human like. In 3e art I couldn't tell the difference between orcs and hobgobs, but this concept looks exactly like a hobgoblin.
Which is funny, because in older D&D lore, orcs are called out as being more human-like than hobgoblins.

Libramarian

Adventurer
You know looking at Steve Prescott's goblinoids again...they're not blowing me away or anything, but realistically, they're probably better than any of the Monster Manual goblinoids.

I'm coming around to the muscular goblin in particular. I would like to see his muscles more knotty and kind of ugly though.

The hobgoblin is solid, I would like to see more evil...but I don't have any specific suggestions for how to accomplish that. I like the samurai meets roman armor style a lot.

The bugbear I remain firmly opposed to. I have never imagined them as looking anything like lanky basketball-player lion-men, ever. Not even close. They're thick-hipped with shaggy hair and short legs. They get their stealthiness and short-range quickness from having a wide, stable, compact physique. More like a defensive lineman than a basketball player.

Like this guy:
[sblock]
BugbearGoblin1a.jpg
[/sblock]

lutecius

Explorer
Which is funny, because in older D&D lore, orcs are called out as being more human-like than hobgoblins.
they are? I thought Gygax didn't intend them to be pig-faced like they were drawn in the Monster Manual or the cartoon but he still thought of them as somewhat porcine (I believe he said the gamorreans from SW were close enough), while the hobgoblins were more ape-like. I don't know about orcs being specifically more human-like than hobgoblins.

Last edited:

Klaus

First Post
they are? I thought Gygax didn't intend them to be pig-faced like they were drawn in the Monster Manual or the cartoon but he still thought of them as somewhat porcine (I believe he said the gamorreans from SW were close enough), while the hobgoblins were more ape-like. I don't know about orcs being specifically more human-like than hobgoblins.
2e called the "pig" comparison as being "perhaps unfair", and that orcs looked more or less like greenish-gray-skinned cavemen. I'll post my concept of those later.

Herschel

Adventurer
Talented artist, hate the concepts.

I am really tired of ripped gym rat humanoids in D&d and PF. Its lame.

This just made me laugh because it's true. The same goes for the oversized armor/weapons.

The bugbear's and goblin's armours don't make any sense, why wouldn't you protect your chest and back? Either they wear barbaric clothing, or normal clothing with sensible armour coverage; barbaric armour coverage isn't very effective.

Yes, yes, and yes. I like the Hobgoblin, but the other two leave me in great dislike. The Goblin looks like an original Dark Sun Halfling who spends too much time at the ear stretcher. The Bugbear looks like the really skinny guy who went on an over-the-top workout regimen and thinks he's the coolest guy around while still completely lacking a personality:p.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases