This Week in D&D

tuxgeo

Adventurer
This has been the case historically, but needn't be the case going forward. A cleric of the god of fire, for instance, might blast enemies with holy flame from one hand and bean them with righteous hammers in the other. A cleric of the storm god might channel lightning bolts into her spears, in hand or out of of it. A cleric of the seasons might use ice (winter), lightning (spring), radiant (summer), and necrotic (autumn) all while using a blade whose hilt is wood of the Ever-Living World Tree.

Cute; but that particular use of "necrotic" is anathema to me, and I think your example of the seasons would be improved by leaving it out.

Yes, the leaves "die" in the autumn -- that is, their nutrients are mobilized back down the plant's stalk or trunk for later use, but that is not "necrotic" damage. The PHB for 4E has a definition of necrotic damage: "Purple black energy that deadens flesh and wounds the soul." Is that what happens to the leaves in the autumn? Purple-black energy that wounds the soul? (It isn't, is it? No, it's not. Thank you for agreeing.)

Necrotic energy creates zombies and animates skeletons, and makes liches. Necrotic damage is not any part of the natural cycle, so it shouldn't be part of a nature-based example. More symmetry would be good: If winter is ice, summer is fire; if spring is lightning, autumn is thunder.

(Personally, I would prefer spring to be force -- the new shoots forcing their way above ground -- and have autumn be acid -- because the falling oak leaves contain a lot of tannic acid which can be used for tanning leather. That's just my preference, though.)

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Agreed. I think that a certain element of exploration (namely, lore) is also central to the bard, as well as to the way many people play the wizard and even the cleric. And exploration is pretty key to the ranger.

Social conflict is also central to the bard, and in my view to the paladin as well (ever since that compulsory 17 CHA).

So there are a number of elements on which progress can't be made, it seems to me, without moving outside of simply combat resolution.

Totally on board with this. I feel we might disagree about what makes good noncombat resolution, but we both share a desire to actually frickin' see some. ;)

Maybe. But Page 42, at least in its 4e form, depends on recognising the metagame for what it is, namely, a source of reasonable constraint on how ingame situations are structured and resolved.

At the moment D&Dnext has very little allusion to the existence of a metagame, let alone the legitimacy of metagame concerns like pacing, flow, rewarding certain sorts of approach, etc.

I think one of NEXT's big proposition is that metagame considerations need to be served naturally out of in-game considerations, rather than being imposed on them from the outside. They need to arise organically, or else you run afoul of a credibility problem in a big chunk of players. So I wouldn't expect it to be blatant.

I would, however, still expect it. Especially in areas where the DM would need to roll their own challenges (be they monsters or dungeons/wilderness or social interaction).

I think part of the reluctance is that anything they do on this front will have to be optional. Some old-school folks are quite content in winging all of this and using ability checks, and there's no reason they should have to invest in anything more elaborate than the basic "roll vs. DC Y to see if you do X" that's already present in the rules (the rough mechanical equivalent of giving everyone a basic melee attack and giving the DM some advice for AC's and calling it a day). Anything more complex needs to be something that the game doesn't rely on to work.

@Chris_Nightwing

If you're truly interested in this, I will put together a post with play examples and then analysis which hopefully illuminate:

- How PC build features and thematic powers inform not just mechanical resolution but (i) "who this character is" and (ii) "what this character does" and (iii) "how this character does it" in the fiction. Further, how the metagame mechanics embedded in the PC build features empower the player to reliably express that chosen archetype. The mechanics and the thematic and metagame structure work together for the gamist/narrativist agenda our table possesses. They aren't mutually exclusive and they certainly aren't antagonistic.

- How milestones, story rewards (APs and XP for minor and major quest respectively) express the character's theme and express the genre expectations and support narrative play.

- How Skill Challenges do the same.

I'll give you actual play examples of each of those and attempt to break them down. It would take some effort on my end so if you think it may be fruitful (or at least engaging), I will do so. If you don't really care or you're certain it won't be convincing (or at least intriguing) then I would rather not bother (I don't mean that as snark...I'm sure you understand I don't want to waste either of our time). I think we've been at this exact crossroads before and you declined so I'd rather check first. Let me know.

Magil

First Post
<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention --> I would happily play a game where the resolution of that combat was done narratively, but I don't think I can indulge in awesome storytelling when all I'm really doing is picking a precise square to move to to optimise the use of a power I've selected from a group of powers and then add up a bunch of numbers to see if what I narrated actually turned into something (ie: a kill or rider). By all means let there be a version of D&D that suits narrative play, let's call it D&D Stories (TM (I can't TM this)), but that should never include such tedious and precise combat - leave that for D&D Tactics (TM (I also can't TM this)).

Isn't DnD naturally supposed to be using game mechanics to tell a story? I don't understand your complaint. DnD should be neither purely narrative nor purely tactical, both are elements of the game. I guess you have a particular problem with this styel of narrative, one that is at least partially mechanics-driven? While you cannot see how the two connect, for me they connect naturally and in a desirable manner. In fact I would be very disappointed if they did not connect, because that wouldn't be DnD to me.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
Isn't DnD naturally supposed to be using game mechanics to tell a story? I don't understand your complaint. DnD should be neither purely narrative nor purely tactical, both are elements of the game. I guess you have a particular problem with this styel of narrative, one that is at least partially mechanics-driven? While you cannot see how the two connect, for me they connect naturally and in a desirable manner. In fact I would be very disappointed if they did not connect, because that wouldn't be DnD to me.

I think the nature of the objection is that all the fiddly bits of 4e combat rules actually detract from your flexibility in narration. Consider the flexibility you have when narrating your character's actions during a Skill Challenge, then compare that to combat.There's no particular mechanical reason* you couldn't use the exact same (Skill Challenge) structure for 4e combats (make Melee and the like Skills). That would make 4e a much more narrative (and I think faster) game. In that way, you may be right, its an issue with that style of linkage between narrative and the rule substrate.

For some people (myself included) the disjunction between the one and the other is a bit jarring. It feels like you suddenly "drop out of warp" when combat starts. You can go straight from fairly free-form narration and interpretation of abilities/skills to suddenly "I deal 8 damage to him, then move 3 squares here, then here, then here and that one gets a yellow marker for the condition I put on him. That also gives Bob's guy flanking." To a significant degree, I sometimes feel like 4e is two separate very-distinct games that alternate depending on the circumstances.

Thinking about it, I'm not sure this would even matter to me. Except that I've also played plenty of narrative-heavy games that do successfully stay in that lighter mode regardless of the situation. I'm not sure how well they would meet the audience's "feels like D&D" expectation (okay, I'm confident they wouldn't:(), but it served to highlight it for me.

Now, there are some (I think [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] would be one, [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION] would be another, given his post above) who find that the "fiddly bit" mechanics of 4e are evocative of narrative elements, and serve to further illuminate the characters/monsters. I certainly don't think that's true of everyone. I know its not (in general) for me. I should take this opportunity to point out that I also had this problem with 3e, especially as characters approached/passed about 10th level. In both cases the mental/accounting weight necessary for using them can grind us out of "story mode" entirely. (Which is not to say that the "tactical mode" that then engages cannot be fun, it can be and often is.)

*plenty of historical sacred cow reasons, though.

pemerton

Legend
Don't get me wrong, I love what you guys are doing with it, and appreciate it quite a bit. I just don't think its the "typical" interpretation of 4e (at least around here.)
First, thanks. Second, I agree it's not the typical interpretation around here. But "around here" also has many posters who don't like 4e. When you look at those who regularly post on the 4e boards, or who talk favourably about their 4e games and 4e experiences, I think it is less atypical. (Thought of course far from universal.)

VinylTap's characterisation matches a lot more of what I saw (if not participated directly in) from 4e.

<snip>

For me, one of the weirder things about 4e and the reaction it engendered was how so many people saw such contradictory things in it. This is one of those areas. On the one hand, I know a few "grognards" who absolutely despise all the "new-school indie Bleep!<bleep>" in 4e. On the other hand, most of the non-grognard crowd seems unaware of those facets of the game, or at best doesn't interpret/use them that way.
I've even encountered posters on this forum who see the very same contradictory things: 4e is all about tactical combat, and has nothing in common with indie games, but also has too much attention to metagame, pacing, player empowerment, etc.

I can't explain it any more than you can.

I'm sure there are plenty of 4e tables who play it as, essentially, lair assault. I can't speak for them, but I would guess that they would want next to provide a tactically rich "boardgame" experience with sufficient fictional positioning (at the tactical, not more thematic, level) to make it an RPG rather than a mere boardgame.

I'm sure there are also plenty of 4e tables who play it as, essentially, a GM-driven adventure path game. To the extent that thiese players aren't just a variant on the lair assault approach, I would imagine that they're not to fussed about the minutiae of mechanics provided they still evoke the right archteypes and colour in the adventure path.

I guess my concern with [MENTION=6697217]VinylTap[/MENTION]'s comment is that it seemed to characterise 4e, and what it offers, from the point of view of someone who doesn't like it (and I assume doesn't play it). Whereas I think, if you're trying to pitch D&Dnext to 4e players, it's better to approach the design questions from the perspective of those who like and play the game.

I think the nature of the objection is that all the fiddly bits of 4e combat rules actually detract from your flexibility in narration.

<snip>

For some people (myself included) the disjunction between the one and the other is a bit jarring. It feels like you suddenly "drop out of warp" when combat starts.

<snip>

Now, there are some (I think pemerton would be one, Manbearcat would be another, given his post above) who find that the "fiddly bit" mechanics of 4e are evocative of narrative elements, and serve to further illuminate the characters/monsters. I certainly don't think that's true of everyone. I know its not (in general) for me.
I agree there's a very strong contrast. And I've frequently posted that the lack of attention to the interface between these main two action resolution mechanics is a major flaw in 4e. I'm gradually getting better at handling it as a GM, but it would be nice to have some advice in the books so I didn't have to work it all out myself!

On the issue of "evocative fiddliness", I am someone who experiences the game that way. But generally I think the combat has to be framed with quite a degree of attention to its story/thematic significance (even if that's just tons of colour), and this is another point on which the rulebooks are basically silent. (Worlds & Monsters is an honourable exception here, but it is not a core 4e rulebook - and many people dismissed it, wrongly in my view, as a mere preview.) The fiddliness then provides the mechanical tools whereby the players both (i) experience the intensity and pressure of the fictional situation, and (ii) are able to grab the situations by the horns and bend it to their will. I think this speaks to (and probably only to) a particular aesthetic sensibility - you have to be very tolerant of fiddly arithmetic as a conveyor of thematic information, for example, which is a fairly old school thing.

Burning Wheel is in some respects similar to 4e in this respect: Versus Tests together with Let it Ride as the default resolution, but more complex mechanics able to be invoked in particular conflict situations - the skill-challenge like Duel of Wits, the slightly more pinned-down but still very abstract and need interpretation Range and Cover mechanic, and then the quite crunchy, positioning-focused, RQ-or-RM-level detail of melee in Fight!.

BW does a better job than 4e of explaining (in the Adventure Burner) how to conjoin these mechanics. But I don't think it's accidental that the Adventure Burner, which is the most recent BW book prior to the new (Gold) edition notes 4e as an influence on the direction of the game at that ponit. Nor is it a coincidence, in my view, that the Adventure Burner discusses how to tweak both rules and situation to make "boss" fights evocative - something that 4e, with its fiddly attention to positioning, healing, etc has arguably achieved better than any previous fantasy RPG.

What's the point of all the above? Yes, 4e is a bit weird, but there are other similarly weird games out there too. Even HeroWars/Quest feels the need to be especially detailed in its explanation of how its generic conflict resolution rules apply in the case of physical combat.

I think one of NEXT's big proposition is that metagame considerations need to be served naturally out of in-game considerations, rather than being imposed on them from the outside. They need to arise organically, or else you run afoul of a credibility problem in a big chunk of players. So I wouldn't expect it to be blatant.
I'm definitley of the view (to quote Ron Edwards) that you get what you play for. If you want the game to deliver exciting, well-paced drama than you have to design for that, and then advise your players on how to use what it is that you've designed. Conversely, if you just build everything on the "game mechanics as physics engine" principle, decent pacing and the like will be down to good luck rather than good management.

Hit points are a classic D&D solution to part of this problem, but (notoriously) mark the most obvious point of departure between game mechanics and ingame physical causation.

2nd ed "solved" some elements of the drama and pacing problem with invocations to ignore the rules when they would interfere with the "story". To me this is anathema: not because I'm obsessed by rules, but because I really don't like that sort of application of GM force.

3E "solved" other elements of this problem by (for example) giving dragons +20 and +30 "natural armour" bonuses without making even a fig leaf of an attempt to explain what that represents in the fiction (given that +13 is the AC bonus from best magical plate armour that mortal wizards can forge). CON scores in the high 20s and even 30s are a less egregious instance of the same issue

Bounded accuracy is a clever solution to the natural armour problem and the inflated stat problem. But it doesn't solve everything on its own. And look at the large number of playtesters advocating a "+2" to all monster to-hit bonuses: that is based not on any "ingame" or "physical causation" considerations, but on metagame considerations - combat is not dramatic/threatening enough.

I think there is no avoiding the metagame. But if, as per 3E, the rules try to hind it behind a veneer of simulation, then it will be hard to express it clearly in the context of a "page 42".

I'm not sure what precisely about 4e's acknowledgement of these issues puts people off, but it really does. I suspect that part of DM empowerment means putting some of that back into the DM's hands directly. For whatever reason, some people feel that codifying these things hamstrings the DM. It may also play into that "one way to play" thing. Perhaps Next should off multiple/concurrent metagame solutions?
I think multiple approaches is one good way of going. Mearls mentioned this in one of his L&L columns (on monster design), but only mentioned two approaches: ingame considerations as dominant; and tactical considerations as dominant. Pacing/drama/"story" from the metagame rather than ingame point of view weren't mentioned!

On the "DM empowerment" issue, I don't entirely see how the GM is disempowered by having useable and clearly explained metagame tools. But I'm obviously the wrong person to be trying to work it out!

I have no idea what any of that implies for Next and what its best direction would be. I would hate to be in the designer chair and trying to figure out how to interpret 4e wrt next.
Agreed.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
Skill Challenges as presented in 4E, and I don't just mean the poor mathematics, are only suitable for players familiar with narrative roleplaying games.
But those people weren't born that way. They learned the techniques, or taught themselves. There's no reason why a D&D rulebook can't try and explain them, and what to do with them. (DMG2 is a very halting step in that direction, in its material cribbed by Robin Laws from his (better, in my view) HeroQuest Revised rulebook.)

I have seen countless times with new players an inability to get their head around cause and effect, and the fact that a skill success may technically achieve nothing if a completely different skill failure occurs. There's scope for something functional here, but the bland count of success/failures does not do it for me.
Of course not! In the same way that, in combat, we correlate the rise and fall of hit points, flanking, distance, position etc to various states of the fiction - and it is the fiction that helps generate the excitement - so the same has to happen in a skill challenge. It is a flaw of the 4e rulebooks that they don't really explain how to do this.

Agreed that XP guidelines should exist for non-combat encounters, but I don't want to return to the hardcoding of 2E, aka give all the gold to the thief.
The game needs to decide what XP are for, and therefore on what basis they should be awarded. In 4e they are mostly a pacing mechanism, ensuring a steady progression up the levels as the game is played, creating a default, generic "metaplot" (a bit like the role of the HeroWars in the HeroWars version of Gloranthan roleplaying).

In AD&D, XP rules do something very different - they incentivise a certain sort of goal (looting, and to a much lesser extent killing), and reward those players who are best at it.

I don't really understand what XP are for in 2nd ed, or 3E.

There exist DC guidelines
They are framed exclusively in ingame terms. There is nothing comparable to the guidelines in the Essentials Rules Compendium, which indicates the expected success rate for various generic PC builds against each of the DC categories (Easy, Moderate, Hard) and how these can be used (in skill challenges, particularly) to achieve desired pacing effects.

Bounded accuracy should actually make it easier to give that sort of advice.

I want combat to be simple, with fewer interrupts.

<snip>

I don't want turn-by-turn agonising and optimising of actions - that's for Dungeon Command.
I like the turn-by-turn agonising - for me, that's what generates the emotional pressure on the players - but obviously that is a matter of taste.

I like interrupts for a different reason - they reduce the "stop motion" vibe of turn-by-turn resolution.

I just don't understand how you can go from "awesome storytelling" (let's call it) to "fiddly bonus combat". Does the Barbarian calling his primal spirits not feel a bit let down that it just turns into some bonus damage and knocking people over?
I can't speak for [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION], but my own take on this is that you're looking for the "awesome storytelling" in the wrong spot. The awesomeness isn't in the bonus damage - it's in what is done with the bonus damage. That's why the fictional framing, including the stakes of a combat, are so important. (My personal mantra is "no random combats".) Once the framing is in place, the bonus damage and knocking people over is awesome, because of who you're damaging, and what it is that you're knocking them into. And this is all the more awesome because it's your ancestral spirit that is letting you win this great victory.

I hope that's clear, but here are some comparison to try and help make it so. In Runequest, you might have epic framing, but there is almost no decision a player can make, once his/her PC is in combat, to change things. All you can do is roll the dice and see what happens. (By the way, this is why randomly-triggere special moves, or special effects on a crit, are no substitue for encounter powers in my playstyle at least.)

On the other hand, in a well-designed tactical boardgame or card game the player has many decisions to make that will change the situation in various ways, but nothing is at stake - there is no fiction, and no fictional positioning. And this is true of the resources - a Magic card is just a Magic card, however flavourful its colour text - and of the outcome - I win or lose the game, but there is no shared imaginary space in which epic deeds were done.

4e supports epic framing of both player resources, and conflict outcomes, and supports multiple points of player intervention into the situation to determine the outcome. For me, that's its great strength. And what, at the moment, I feel is missing from the playtest - in combat, certainly, but even moreso out of combat.

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
There are many times I wish this editing box stretched across the width of the page..

I'll give you actual play examples of each of those and attempt to break them down. It would take some effort on my end so if you think it may be fruitful (or at least engaging), I will do so. If you don't really care or you're certain it won't be convincing (or at least intriguing) then I would rather not bother (I don't mean that as snark...I'm sure you understand I don't want to waste either of our time). I think we've been at this exact crossroads before and you declined so I'd rather check first. Let me know.

As you say, I won't take you up on this. I've read posts (almost exclusively by yourself and pemerton) in various threads on these matters. I say this sincerely, but your explanations come across very obtusely, mostly through the use of jargon to get your point across. I've come to the conclusion that there's something you both see in 4E that isn't there because of the game, but because of you and your groups.

I think the connect comes down to how high-level (not in the game sense :p) you see the narrative: whether your characters are destined to heroics or trying their best to achieve them. whether an individual action has an immediate linear effect, or causes great motion in the, ahem, actor-director thingy that manbearcat mentioned.

I've even encountered posters on this forum who see the very same contradictory things: 4e is all about tactical combat, and has nothing in common with indie games, but also has too much attention to metagame, pacing, player empowerment, etc.

I can't explain it any more than you can.

Again, I think that you are a rare gem in that you make both of these work for you. I know plenty of players who treat any edition of D&D like a dungeon crawl challenge, and I know others that will never play it because there's no roleplaying involvement. A good friend loves Burning Wheel and views D&D with complete disdain - I know that 4th edition would not change his mind.

On the issue of "evocative fiddliness", I am someone who experiences the game that way. But generally I think the combat has to be framed with quite a degree of attention to its story/thematic significance (even if that's just tons of colour), and this is another point on which the rulebooks are basically silent. (Worlds & Monsters is an honourable exception here, but it is not a core 4e rulebook - and many people dismissed it, wrongly in my view, as a mere preview.) The fiddliness then provides the mechanical tools whereby the players both (i) experience the intensity and pressure of the fictional situation, and (ii) are able to grab the situations by the horns and bend it to their will. I think this speaks to (and probably only to) a particular aesthetic sensibility - you have to be very tolerant of fiddly arithmetic as a conveyor of thematic information, for example, which is a fairly old school thing.

Intensity and investment in a situation don't come from optimising your attack bonuses and powers though. They come from taking specific risks, and from giving something up in order to achieve something else, prioritising. Whipping out a utility power to give you +2 AC for the round is about as far from intensity as it gets: it's mundane, it's economic, it's housekeeping. A storytelling version of D&D, a version that had even more fiction investment that 4E does for you, would surely eschew highly specific combat for something more akin to skill challenges?

3E "solved" other elements of this problem by (for example) giving dragons +20 and +30 "natural armour" bonuses without making even a fig leaf of an attempt to explain what that represents in the fiction (given that +13 is the AC bonus from best magical plate armour that mortal wizards can forge). CON scores in the high 20s and even 30s are a less egregious instance of the same issue

Whilst the mathematics were flaky, I don't see how giving dragons some arbitrary AC is any different in 3E from 4E. In each case they wanted to make them appropriate threats for the level they were designed to be faced at.

Bounded accuracy is a clever solution to the natural armour problem and the inflated stat problem. But it doesn't solve everything on its own. And look at the large number of playtesters advocating a "+2" to all monster to-hit bonuses: that is based not on any "ingame" or "physical causation" considerations, but on metagame considerations - combat is not dramatic/threatening enough.

Well actually, my complaint there is highly specific to the in game rules: character classes get weapon attack bonuses, presumably to represent their proficiency with such things. Monsters do not - in fact their to hit bonuses are completely abstract. The metagame desire for drama can be reflected with equally applicable rules to both PC and monster, they just haven't got the numbers right.

On the "DM empowerment" issue, I don't entirely see how the GM is disempowered by having useable and clearly explained metagame tools. But I'm obviously the wrong person to be trying to work it out!

If the players know the rules the DM has to follow, they abuse them, plain and simple. If you've just had a series of encounters that awarded above-level XP in 4E, you knew the rest of the level would be a cakewalk, because the DM was following the metagame rules.

Of course not! In the same way that, in combat, we correlate the rise and fall of hit points, flanking, distance, position etc to various states of the fiction - and it is the fiction that helps generate the excitement - so the same has to happen in a skill challenge. It is a flaw of the 4e rulebooks that they don't really explain how to do this.

I like the turn-by-turn agonising - for me, that's what generates the emotional pressure on the players - but obviously that is a matter of taste.

I like interrupts for a different reason - they reduce the "stop motion" vibe of turn-by-turn resolution.

You don't like the stop-motion nature of combat, but you do enjoy tracking everyone's specific position and distance. I don't understand. Surely theatre of the mind combat would make better sense to you? Surely simultaeneous actions (declared together than acted together) would make better sense to you? Interrupts break the stepped flow, as you say, but specific positioning, movement, ranges and areas of effect make the game about accounting, not fiction.

The game needs to decide what XP are for, and therefore on what basis they should be awarded. In 4e they are mostly a pacing mechanism, ensuring a steady progression up the levels as the game is played, creating a default, generic "metaplot" (a bit like the role of the HeroWars in the HeroWars version of Gloranthan roleplaying).

In AD&D, XP rules do something very different - they incentivise a certain sort of goal (looting, and to a much lesser extent killing), and reward those players who are best at it.

I don't really understand what XP are for in 2nd ed, or 3E.

Well, exactly the same really. 3E offers XP for combat and other challenges same as 4E. It's just pacing. 2E wanted to (optionally) reward in-class behaviour (but was terrible). The number of people who ignore XP is significant anyway. Again, your fiction would be better driven by ignoring XP altogether - the characters improve at appropriate dramatic points (ie: upon quest completion).

They are framed exclusively in ingame terms. There is nothing comparable to the guidelines in the Essentials Rules Compendium, which indicates the expected success rate for various generic PC builds against each of the DC categories (Easy, Moderate, Hard) and how these can be used (in skill challenges, particularly) to achieve desired pacing effects.

Yes, as they should be. It seems pretty clear that if you want the challenges to be the same relative difficulty as the characters attain higher levels, you use more difficult challenges in-game. You're asking for a table that is trivial to calculate and will probably be included in the final rules. What they're not doing is saying 'you should use this DC for characters of this level' - partly because of bounded accuracy, partly because many people didn't like that.

I can't speak for [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION], but my own take on this is that you're looking for the "awesome storytelling" in the wrong spot. The awesomeness isn't in the bonus damage - it's in what is done with the bonus damage. That's why the fictional framing, including the stakes of a combat, are so important. (My personal mantra is "no random combats".) Once the framing is in place, the bonus damage and knocking people over is awesome, because of who you're damaging, and what it is that you're knocking them into. And this is all the more awesome because it's your ancestral spirit that is letting you win this great victory.

On the other hand, in a well-designed tactical boardgame or card game the player has many decisions to make that will change the situation in various ways, but nothing is at stake - there is no fiction, and no fictional positioning. And this is true of the resources - a Magic card is just a Magic card, however flavourful its colour text - and of the outcome - I win or lose the game, but there is no shared imaginary space in which epic deeds were done.

4e supports epic framing of both player resources, and conflict outcomes, and supports multiple points of player intervention into the situation to determine the outcome. For me, that's its great strength. And what, at the moment, I feel is missing from the playtest - in combat, certainly, but even moreso out of combat.

If the awesome comes from how you do something, and not what you do, why the heck do I have to keep track of so many fiddly little numbers to figure out what I do? If I say my primal spirits allow me to channel great force into my attacks, so that I'll be able to knock people around the battlefield with my hammer, that's awesome. When it comes to the actual reality though, it just amounts to more damage, and picking my precise position to knock them precisely into a pit/fire unless they save, the chances of which I have almost no ways to influence.

I have played many, many boardgames of the type you describe, and even if the goal is as mundane as connecting trainlines, believe me, there is a shared fiction involved. At least when I'm with friends and we all know how to play we deliberately generate our own fiction, especially in games with good themes - Twilight Imperium is great for this, because there's a ton of theme to work with, but nothing in the game forces a metagame fiction onto us, we do it ourselves.

In the playtest so far, I've seen some great narratives emerge, even with some quite plain abilities and combat. The same was true in 3E. You don't need to enforce a metagame for narratives to emerge - it seems that you find it harder to do so without that.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
pemerton said:
I'm definitley of the view (to quote Ron Edwards) that you get what you play for. If you want the game to deliver exciting, well-paced drama than you have to design for that, and then advise your players on how to use what it is that you've designed. Conversely, if you just build everything on the "game mechanics as physics engine" principle, decent pacing and the like will be down to good luck rather than good management.

There sounds like there may be an excluded middle, here: You design the physics engine to deliver drama. Games do that almost automatically by the success/failure switch: there's ALWAYS anxiety about whether or not you will win, and catharsis with eradicating that tension. Candy Land does that. Hell, craps does that.

There's a lot of ways to solve the metagame problem of "combat is not dramatic/threatening enough" while still employing in-game logic.

For instance, instead of an arbitrary +2 bonus, you make it easy for monsters to gain Advantage on their attacks via monster traits or basic rules additions (flanking, fienting, high ground, better stealth rules, etc). The multiple rolls help bend the curve and make more hits connect, increasing HP attrition. You could also increase raw monster damage (via the same methods) so that even if they don't hit as often, they're dealing more damage with each hit. You can also tweak healing so that there's more attrition between encounters (and more encounters per "day"), leading to rougher adventuring days.

None of that necessarily violates in-game logic. Heck, even a +2 bonus doesn't necessarily violate in-game logic.

I think there is no avoiding the metagame. But if, as per 3E, the rules try to hind it behind a veneer of simulation, then it will be hard to express it clearly in the context of a "page 42".

All a "Page 42" has to do is give you rough targets for what is achievable in-game at those given DC's. Klaus posted a pretty good example up above. Assuming you gird your in-world logic so that it produces a satisfying metagame result, you can then come at it just from the metagame as a DM, if you want, without necessarily violating that in-world logic. The problem arises when there's only metagame logic, and the in-world logic is an afterthought.

Thank you @pemerton<!-- google_ad_section_end --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_6033848", true); </SCRIPT> for the effort of that long post. That's a lot of thought gathering and coherently transfering it onto page. Hopefully, it communicates well. I echo pretty much every word of it.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

There is definitely a disconnect (unsurprisingly) between how some folks adore the granularity of 4e's combat and how it works as a conduit for their fictional counterpart and those who find it "jarring to immersion" or "discordant to some hypothetical, fictional counterpart." I would bet that this has much to do with the way people have inherited/groomed their information processing and synthesizing skills. For some folks, visual aids (be it the language of rules jargon or a battle grid or meta-game transparency) are a jump-off point for their creative well--spring. For others, those same visual aids transmit "writer's block" or (to map to cinema) their expectations are to watch a movie unfold without "seeing the set." "Seeing the set", "hearing the directorial cues" and "smelling the coffee brewed by the interns" is anathema to their "suspension of disbelief expectations" becomes a non-starter. Perhaps for others it is like an artist's (I know a few highly successful professionals and its amusing how symmetrical they are here) expectations of having no formalized idea, no codified rigidity to abide by...just an empty medium and their mind's wanderings...and how much they grate when the design engine of their empty mind is weighted with expectation and direction. Regardless of what it is, I personally (and probably others) fall into the first group. Visual aids are a jump off point. Boundless space, or incoherent (or incomplete) direction, sows discord in my mind and the process of creation and the final product is less than desirable. <O:p

Regarding Skill Challenges generally and perceptions: While some may find Skill Challenges (relative to other systems) as bereft of, or lacking, in codification as a mechanical resolution framework (or at least lacking in advice and direction by the designers) I’ve seen plenty of other decrying the level of codification to non-combat resolution that the Skill Challenge has brought about as they feel that free-form role-playing and player skill should solely be brought to bear in resolution of these challenges. Others still feel that it doesn’t do the job and behaves merely like an exercise in “dice rolling and arithmetic”. Beyond those three, I’ve seen more than a few cases whereby people are relatively ok with them as a resolution tool but intensely annoyed with the technique of decoupling linear cause and effect of skill usage with outcome and the corresponding impact on “world building/internal consistency” (the now infamous “Ride Skill and the Gorge”). Like everything else regarding 4e, it seems opinions run the gamut. My take is that these opinions are derived from backgrounds, experiences and expectations (engineer mindsets vs artist mindsets versus “step on up” agenda versus “right to dream” agenda). <O:p

For my (and my group) sensibilities regarding combat, the clear meta-game tools and framework, the elegant rules jargon, the battle grid, the thematic and gamist jargon of powers and features compel my creative center (and that of my group) toward composing evocative fiction. It is a conduit. It doesn't interpose itself. Further, the PC build capabilities and the thematic, archetype-centered powers interact with the combat mechanics to frame the “who”, “why” and “how” of the players considerably well.

For my (and my group) sensibilities regarding Skill Challenges as non-combat resolution, there is an implicit “story now” agenda embedded in the tool begging you to take advantage of it. We play under those auspices using the same techniques that other narrative resolution systems make explicit (where the 4e designers seem to have made implicit…possibly purposefully). I don’t feel that we add anything beyond RAW, we just have a refined, collective technique and an understanding of RAI and how to get from “an exercise in dice rolling and arithmetic” (much like combat) to the resolution of an evocative, genre-relevant scene by way of the mechanical framework coupled with our efforts/technique. We’re practiced, experienced and on the same page. And it yields results. Again, the framework assists in the composition of fiction relative to (i) genre tropes we’re attempting to conjure and (ii) the “who”, “why” and “how” of the players considerably well.<O:p

Both a meta-game heavy, granular, thematic combat system and a skeletal (yet codified), meta-game heavy framework for non-combat resolution can be turned into “an exercise in dice rolling and arithmetic” or a “jarring, discordant experience” with expectations, agenda, technique and effort that are at odds. <O:p

Unrelated (but related to my prior post), Milestones/APs and character theme/story driven rewards (Minor and Major Quest XP) are wonderful at facilitating the same things. Further, if the players are brought into this meta-game (at character creation or between sessions), these two become considerably more coherent (with regards to the DM and players’ understanding of them relative to the characters in play) and thus much more facilitative. <O:p

As before, I still feel play examples would have more explanatory power. If anyone feels the same, I would be willing to break down a long-time character and how:

- PC build rules/powers<O:p</O:p
- Meta-game heavy, granular, codified combat<O:p</O:p
- Skill Challenges<O:p</O:p
- Character <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
><st1:Street w:st=
<st1:address w:st="on">Theme/Story Drive</st1:address></st1:Street> Rewards (Milestones/APs and Minor and Major Quest XP)

Are all extremely conducive (rather than antagonistic) toward bringing this character’s theme and story to life (and incentivizing the player to that end). As I considerate in my mind, it would likely be a long, weighty post so I’d rather not produce the effort for no purpose.<O:p</O:p

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases