Midnight returns?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I really hope this setting comes back, and preferably with some new adventures as well. Midnight seemed like a world that was grand in scope, and never really got its due.

gdmcbride

First Post
The eighteen Midnight books were rich with plot hooks and great ideas. I ran a Midnight campaign and easily found enough material to create my own plot line.

That said, from personal experience I know that the lack of adventures made it daunting to less veteran GMs. Whenever I meet fellow enthusiasts at a con there is better than a 50/50 chance that when I talk to them about Midnight they mention loving the setting, perhaps running a few one-shots but never quite being able to get a campaign off the ground.

I think an adventure path would help with that and greatly benefit the frankly brilliant property. And if this turns out to be a tease, then I hope FFG will license out the property to someone else.

A Midnight AP should culminate with killing a Night King.

Gary McBride

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
(snip) A Midnight AP should culminate with killing a Night King.

I agree.

I've got all the Midnight products and used to be active over at Against the Shadow but my gaming for far too long has been limited to FR campaigns.

I would love to get a Midnight game started.

I've actually been thinking about a 4E conversion as 4E is my preferred ruleset - Savage Worlds is another ruleset which I also think would work.

My thoughts on a campaign or adventure path would be something akin to the original Star Wars trilogy with Vader replaced by the elf wizard who is a Night King and the final victory over the Emperor - Izrador - requiring the elf's redemption.

Anyway, it's a wonderful campaign world and I am so very happy I was able to collect all the books before it went OOP.

gdmcbride

First Post
If I ran the zoo, I would publish a Midnight 3rd edition rulebook that created its own system and incorporated the best of all the previously published sourcebooks into one big, beautiful full-color tome. This book would be written first and foremost with an eye towards making Midnight accessible to new players who own not a single old book, while still providing older fans some new information and a brand new world-appropriate system.

And then, I'd release an adventure path that took you all the way from being nobodies fleeing the destruction of your village by a legate all the way up to the slayers of a night king.

That adventure path would have two endings...

The First, by slaying the Night King you discover a way to banish Izrador from this plane of existence. Your epic midnight campaign ends with saving Eredane. Dawn at last.

The second, by slaying a Night King, you have earned Izrador's true emnity and, though you may have delayed his plans for a moment, it is a victory you will not survive to enjoy. Izradors destroys these upstart heroes. You were fools to oppose the Lone God. Against the Shadow that has risen in the North there can be no victory.

Thus you can appeal to the purist and those who actually want Midnight to have some modicum of hope.

Ah, well. We'll see what comes to pass...

Gary McBride

Last edited:

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
If I ran the zoo, I would publish a Midnight 3rd edition rulebook that created its own system and incorporated the best of all the previously published sourcebooks into one big, beautiful full-color tome. This book would be written first and foremost with an eye towards making Midnight accessible to new players who own not a single old book, while still providing older fans some new information and a brand new world-appropriate system.

And then, I'd release an adventure path that took you all the way from being nobodies fleeing the destruction of your village by a legate all the way up to the slayers of a night king.

(snip more good stuff)

Perfect.

So, when are you going to approach FFG for the rights?

Seriously?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten

This sounds great, except for the "new system" part - while it's just my group, we're pretty heavily invested in Pathfinder, and requiring them to learn a new system would be a deal-breaker. Chalk me down for keeping Midnight close to its 3.X roots.

The second, by slaying a Night King, you have earned Izrador's true emnity and, though you may have delayed his plans for a moment, it is a victory you will not survive to enjoy. Izradors destroys these upstart heroes. You were fools to oppose the Lone God. Against the Shadow that has risen in the North there can be no victory.

I personally think this ending rocks on toast, though in my current group, no one else would agree. What made Midnight so special, at least to me, was the fact that no true victory was possible made those who took up the mantle of heroism all the brighter - that kind of dedicated resistance, with no hope of winning, is something I think is awe-inspiring.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth

The First, by slaying the Night King you discover a way to banish Izrador from this plane of existence. Your epic midnight campaign ends with saving Eredane. Dawn at last.

Thus you can appeal to the purist and those who actually want Midnight to have some modicum of hope.

It took me two reads to understand what you meant about the adventure path endings but once I got it, I think it's a brilliant compromise!

Perfect.

So, when are you going to approach FFG for the rights?

Seriously?

Seriously. When?

Ah, well. We'll see what comes to pass...

Gary McBride
If you ran the zoo and did this, you would have my money the second that Adventure Path was released. Seriously!

I really like the idea of the two possible endings. While I love the Midnight setting and its internal coherence that true victory against the Dark Lord is not possible, the books' tone sometimes got a bit too bleak for my taste.

gdmcbride

First Post
This sounds great, except for the "new system" part - while it's just my group, we're pretty heavily invested in Pathfinder, and requiring them to learn a new system would be a deal-breaker. Chalk me down for keeping Midnight close to its 3.X roots.

Don't get me wrong. I love Pathfinder.

Actually, just a Pathfinder update of Midnight would almost certainly be a commercially viable product for a small publishing house. But for FFG, Midnight would need its own system to once more become a viable product line.

Anyways, all this conjecture is fun but I just want to make clear that I'm talking here as a fan. Fire Mountain Games has no plans to try to acquire Midnight and no reason to believe FFG would even be interested in such a partnership.

Myself, I would be satisfied if Midnight ever saw any sort of resurrection. It has been too long since this amazing setting received the attention it deserves.

Gary McBride

Remove ads