D&D 5E Warlord as a Fighter option; Assassin as a Rogue option

They don't force anything.

They make movement seem safe when it's really not.

Deception isn't a force. It's a misdirection. If I shove you into traffic, that's going to be modeled a different way than if I convince you that you're immune to cars, so you walk out into traffic. Cause and effect are quite different in those circumstances, and that difference is worth preserving, IMO.

<snip>

My point was only that the distinction between a deception and a physical force is important because a deception doesn't remove choice. I don't know what that has to do with a finesse fighter particularly. An agile fighter doesn't necessarily control people's actions.

This is just not true. After behavior is practiced enough, the role of "decision-making" becomes automated and moves from the conscious mind to the subconscious mind. Pattern-recognition and instinct predominate as we no longer engage ourselves consciously. There are no "decisions". This is for very mundane, slow-moving activities such as driving. The process is sped up and exacerbated dramatically in endeavors that require split-second information-processing and reflexive physical response. When you are an athlete/pilot/etc and you are trying to determine an "angle of pursuit/attack" against an extremely fast-moving target, within the scope of mili-seconds your subconscious mind paramaterizes and solves an extraordinarily difficult, multiple vector calculation. In the span of those same mili-seconds, it commands your body to react and your body then does so. The best martial actors possess unparalleled capacity in this domain. Well, that coupled with amazing spatial awareness/orientation (which helps them paramaterize those sub-conscious equations accurately) and extraordinary alacrity, dexterity, coordination and speed which allows them to render the subconscious decision making of their opponents (instincts and reflexes) flawed. That relationship itself is a circumvention of classic "free-will". You are not "free" to make a conscious decision about whether or not you want to be "decieved."

We're talking instinct and reflex...both honed by the operative condition of practice and exposure and a product of the domain of the subconscious mind...not conscious decision-making...not "free will" in the vein of; "Well, now...hmmmm...this gentleman has thrown a small cowhide ball in my direction at 97 miles per hour...it appears to have something of a sinking motion to it and it started on the inner half of the plate...there is a decent likelihood that it may end off the plate...however, I have two strikes and I don't wish to put the outcome of this exchange in the hands of the bloke behind the catcher with the mask and the chest protector...yes, I think I shall swing now and at this angle with respect to the oncoming ball". Life and death martial conflict with a master swordsman with super-human speed moves at a similar pace, with a similar margin of error and a similar number of vectors...all with higher stakes and greater pressure.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Manbearcat said:
That relationship itself is a circumvention of classic "free-will". You are not "free" to make a conscious decision about whether or not you want to be "decieved."

While I feel a bit like I'm stepping back into a Philosophy 101 classroom, I think it's pretty non-controversial to say that someone who is decieved -- tricked -- still makes a decision, that decision just happens to be one that is bad for them to make, since they made it without a true understanding of the ramifications.

That's different than being forced to take a certain action.

The decision to swing a bat or not is still a decision -- the pitcher doesn't get to make that call, they just get to try and trick the batter into making the wrong decision.

But I'm glad we've all ceded the point I tried to make in the first post, anyway. :)

While I feel a bit like I'm stepping back into a Philosophy 101 classroom, I think it's pretty non-controversial to say that someone who is decieved -- tricked -- still makes a decision

I honestly and truly am not on board with that position. At least I'm not on board with it in a way that comports with "I have control of me...not you...therefore the resolution mechanics should allow me to express my autonomy." Because you are not autonomous in the relationship here.

All of that aside. I think the first post is a good one and a fair rendering of the 4e Warlord on the 5e chassis. The 5e chassis still needs work but you did a good job with what we have.

mlund

First Post
The decision to swing a bat or not is still a decision -- the pitcher doesn't get to make that call, they just get to try and trick the batter into making the wrong decision.

Actually, about half the time the pitcher will simply attempt to put the ball in a place where the batter simply can not cleanly hit the ball - to essentially force the outcome to be either a ground-out, a pop-out, a miss, or a called strike.

The pitcher can also put a ball in the batter's ear. I'm sure he could take a swing, but with certainty approaching 1.00 the major-league athlete won't. He doesn't get to "choose" in any way. He's not swinging. He's desperately trying to avoid a concussion because if he was capable of any other reaction he wouldn't have survived to get out of the Minor Leagues.

The pitcher hasn't deceived him into anything. His movement is forced because nobody in that position wants to be maimed or killed.

Even a good feint isn't purely a deception, because if you ignore a good feint it won't be a harmless bluff.

- Marty Lund

Last edited:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Manbearcat said:
I honestly and truly am not on board with that position. At least I'm not on board with it in a way that comports with "I have control of me...not you...therefore the resolution mechanics should allow me to express my autonomy." Because you are not autonomous in the relationship here.

Trust me, it's posts like this that get my juices flowing in interesting new directions. :) How metagame mechanics interface with the concept of free will and body-mind dichotomies emblematic in our game of magical princess make-believe...it's right up my alley!

I'm just not sure I quite follow your chain of thought here. Maybe walk it back a few steps and show me how walking, say, 10 feet, might not be a choice on someone's part?

mlund said:
Actually, about half the time the pitcher will simply attempt to put the ball in a place where the batter simply can not cleanly hit the ball - to essentially force the outcome to be either a ground-out, a pop-out, a miss, or a called strike.

The pitcher can also put a ball in the batter's ear. I'm sure he could take a swing, but with certainty approaching 1.00 the major-league athlete won't. He doesn't get to "choose" in any way. He's not swinging. He's desperately trying to avoid a concussion because if he was capable of any other reaction he wouldn't have survived to get out of the Minor Leagues.

The pitcher hasn't deceived him into anything. His movement is forced because nobody in that position wants to be maimed or killed.

I still see that as a choice.

It's a split-second decision, and it's not necessarily a conscious decision, but it's still a decision, based on internalized knowledge of what the batter knows of reality.

And if the batter was a hulking orc and the pitcher was some elf in chainmail with a sword, the orc might not flinch, because orcs are trained from birth to never flinch from a blow (cultural value and all!).

And if the batter was a terrified kobold and the pitcher was the same elf in chainmail, the kobold might flinch the moment the elf took a step to steady himself.

I don't think that decisions need to be slow, or even conscious, to still be decisions, on some basic level. If the pitcher could make the ball sound like it was next to the batter's ear, while in reality it was right in the strike zone, and the batter was aware that the pitcher could do that, the batter might not flinch. Which might be a problem when the pitcher actually DOES put a ball there, but that's still part of a decision on the batter's part.

Last edited:

mlund

First Post
I'm just not sure I quite follow your chain of thought here. Maybe walk it back a few steps and show me how walking, say, 10 feet, might not be a choice on someone's part?

Basically take anything you could choose to do and attach "or die where you stand," onto it. For all intents and purposes of D&D that's no longer a choice, ontology be damned.

Even taking damage in combat is typically a "forced choice" between taking damage and eating a coup de grace.

Maybe we should just add an addendum of, "you always have the option to choose death over cake."

You're just lucky Modern D&D is Church of England. In Orthodox D&D the DM just rolls to see how many seconds you remain conscious before dying. ;)

- Marty Lund

mlund

First Post
It's a split-second decision, and it's not necessarily a conscious decision, but it's still a decision, based on internalized knowledge of what the batter knows of reality.

And if the batter was a hulking orc and the pitcher was some elf in chainmail with a sword, the orc might not flinch, because orcs are trained from birth to never flinch from a blow (cultural value and all!).

You're confused. You obviously didn't grow up watching Sox-Yankees and Sox-Rays baseball. I'm not talking about a buzzing a batter. I'm talking about deliberately beaning him.

Yes, there's a choice between getting hit and getting out of the way. Some people don't realize the angle and react in time, but nobody deliberately takes a major-league fast-ball in the ear.

Sure, the Orc might not flinch. Change "baseball" to "arrow" and that orc is dead. Don't even bother rolling damage. He's dead. Likewise one can always choose to fall in the wood-chipper rather than leap to safety. The default assumption is that monsters and characters that are capable of combat don't willfully commit suicide.

- Marty Lund

@Kamikaze Midget

You're not just "moving 10 ft" in those situations. There are events external to your locus of control that dictate the mechanization of your action. Subconscious information processing spits out a directive (a processing and a directive in which the ego takes no part) which is followed...as an automaton does.

I don't think I can do any better than my attempts to throw together some anecdotes that outline the OODA Loop process in fast forward.

I don't think I can do any better than @mlund 's two posts above (hysterical stuff by the way...can't xp).

How about the "two for flinchin" game as an easy example?

How about; have you ever been severely injured in a sport and then attempted to play it again under those same circumstances?

mlund

First Post
Another freaky feature of D&D is that "mindless" combatants still make choices, even without minds or will. I guess they function as pre-programmed automatons and killing machines without a sense of self. While you can't threaten a creature without a sense of self-preservation, baiting a mindless killing-machine is pretty easy. I doubt we'll ever see a "mindless" creature with programming sufficient to see through deceptions to the point where it would get a saving throw to not fall for being baited by what looks like an obvious opening.

- Marty Lund

Eldritch_Lord

Adventurer
Note: I don't claim to speak for all fans of pre-4e D&D here, I'm just going off some of the trends I've noticed on the various D&D forums when discussing 4e martial mechanics

I think part of the disconnect with nonmagical forced movement and such is that D&D (at least pre-4e) has a fairly strict mechanical "language." If you want to hit something, you roll an attack roll. If you want to light something on fire, you deal fire damage. A given action in the flavor tends to map to a given action in the mechanics--an ability that lets you attack someone by rolling an initiative check, or light something on fire by dealing force damage, seems unintuitive. For 4e to take the familiar term "saving throw" and change it from being a throw of the dice that saves you from something (intuitive) to a randomized duration mechanic (unintuitive) confused and turned off a lot of players.

So consider some of the proposals for making nonmagical forced movement make sense:

Kamikaze Midget said:
Forcing an action is magic. That's what gets you to move 5 feet against your will.
You've never been shoved by a bully, or intimidated, tricked, or pressured into doing something?

In 3e, those flavor effects already have mechanics attached.

"shoved by a bully" = Bull Rush
"intimidated" = Intimidate check
"tricked" = Bluff check
"pressured into doing something" = Intimidate or Diplomacy check

A Will save against a static DC, in contrast, implies a magical effect (the 3e-ified Lamb to the Slaughter example even uses the standard 3e SLA DC formula of 10 + level + Cha), while a Sense Motive check against a Bluff check implies a mundane effect. A Bluff check and a suggestion spell do essentially the same thing (the main difference being that the spell is longer-lasting and more invasive), and the former is opposed by a Sense Motive check while the latter is opposed by a Sense Motive check.

So, taking into account that many pre-4e D&Ders associate certain mechanics with certain flavor, let's rewrite the first part of the LttS example:

Lamb to the Slaughter

The warlord chooses one creature that can see or otherwise sense him and makes a feint attempt against them. If the feint attempt succeeds, the creature must move its speed as close to the warlord as possible. This movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Using the feint rules make it a lot more palatable, because (A) feinting already takes into account the opponent's combat ability, the opponent's skill at detecting deception, differences in the opponent's mindset, etc. and (B) it feels less magical than just "make a Will save or move how I want you to."

Marking and martial healing tangent, spoilered for space:[sblock]You run into the same issue with 4e marking. Most of the objections to it (that I've seen on the forums, anyway) talk about three problems: arbitrariness, corner cases, and rule similarity. Marking seems arbitrary because marks overwrite each other for balance reasons rather than any apparent in-game reason and the rules don't explain exactly how the mark works, marking doesn't account for corner cases (e.g. how can the fighter affect the marked creature if you block LoS) and there's no given flavor to help you cover them yourself, and marks don't align with "flavored" mechanics like intimidation to help with either of the above.

As with LttS's generic "make a Will save or move" mechanic, the fighter mark's "you give this guy a penalty for a round" doesn't evoke a particular feel, but "you give this guy a penalty while he's within your threatened area" and "make an Intimidate check, you give this guy a penalty for a round" each imply a certain in-game reason for the mark (harrying the target and scaring him away from your allies, respectively) and give both a distinct feel. If you run into a situation you can't resolve, you can use the implicit flavor attached to the different versions to work out logical consequences.

And the same issue arises again with nonmagical martial healing. 3e taught its players that morale-based HP alteration came in one of three flavors: temporary hit points for an adrenaline surge (e.g. Stone Power or vigor), a lower death threshold for being too angry to die (e.g. Diehard or Deathless Frenzy), or converting lethal to nonlethal damage for just being plain tough (e.g. Pugilist Fighter or regeneration). Tome of Battle came around with the crusader and its Devoted Spirit maneuvers that claimed to grant nonmagical "morale-based" healng while acting more like life-force draining than morale, and many players disliked this, thinking that the maneuvers should be labeled Supernatural if they were going to work like that.

Most players' problem with the 4e warlord's "shout-based healing" wasn't necessarily that it could rouse unconscious allies (again, at least as far as I've seen on forums), since the action hero-esque "I didn't give you permission to die, maggot!" image of the warlord is fairly well-known and well-accepted even among 4e detractors. The problem was that he could give you an adrenaline surge in the midst of combat and then you kept going indefinitely. He didn't give you temporary HP that would go away (and possibly drop you again) at the end of the battle when you ran out of steam, he didn't stop you from bleeding out by convincing you to hang on for a few more rounds til the cleric reached you, he just flat-out healed you and you were fine after that. The expectation of a relationship between a certain mechanic and a certain flavor was broken and that's what caused the uproar.[/sblock]

So really, you can have the 5e warlord retain some 4e warlord and fighter mechanics while not upsetting the pre-4e players, as long as you couch those mechanics in acceptable mechanical "language." Give him Lamb to the Slaughter and Come and Get It...just make them use Bluff, Intimidate, Knowledge (Tactics), or similar instead of a Will save, to represent him tricking or outsmarting his enemies rather than mentally forcing them to move somehow. Give him actual HP restoration in addition to damage mitigation...just make them grant temporary HP instead of healing regular HP, to represent him inspiring allies to push their limits (and probably pay for it later) rather than fixing them up to full health somehow.

That's really all it takes to settle some of the dispute between the 3e and 4e crowds, little tweaks to make the mechanics and flavor mesh better instead of using more generic mechanics. YMMV, etc.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases