Why does the idea of no Free Will bother some people?

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Digital computers are still entirely deterministic in their action.
I meant to ask earlier, but forgot. What's your opinion on the idea that mental processes might work as a quantum computer? Would that alter the scenario significantly?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The premise that one's physical limitations prevents us from having truly free will is somehow proof that free will cannot exist.

Yeah, sometimes people confuse free will with freedom of action. If I go down to the soda machine with a dollar, being able to choose between Coke and Diet Coke is free will. Being driven inexorably to Coke by a hard-coded need for sugar is lack of free will.

Not being able to choose Diet Dr. Pepper, because it is sold out, isn't lack of free will - it is just being SOL.

Janx

Hero
Hindsight is 20/20. Or maybe it just looks that way. ;)

thats always true, but I meet too many people that can't accept why somebody did something a certain way. Once I get enough info, I tend to accept that person's decision, despite not agreeing with it. So it's not about having hindsight on "here's what you should have done" and more about "I see what led you to make the choice you made"

Janx

Hero
Actually, people can choose differently. Take obesity as an example. Some major portion of obesity is genetics, environment, experience, etc., but as a general rule, nearly every person can choose to be less obese than they are and can do actions that achieve that result. Many of us (myself included) do not put in the extra effort to be less obese (at least in my case, on a continuing basis). We cannot use the "lack of free will" excuse to excuse our behavior. The medical and other problems that result from obesity still have to be shouldered by the people that are obese, regardless of the underlying reasons. One does the behavior, one has to shoulder the consequences.

This is the concept of will power. An overweight person can become skinny by exercising will power. Scott Adams doesn't think will power exists.

Somebody will put in the work, lose weight, but the wiring in their brain still rewards eating more than any other activitity, and after a while, they will backslide and gain the weight back.

The same applies to criminal behavior. However, there is a problem with using the "lack of free will" as an excuse for any behaviors. The problem is that behaviors are often repeatable. So in the case of crime, many criminals are likely to perform the same or other crimes over and over again. So, the incarceration of criminals for a society where science illustrates that "actual free will" is an illusion still has to be done in order to protect other members of society. Granted, rehabilitation might work in some cases, but the bottom line is that society just cannot roll the dice and give criminal offenders too many opportunities to repeatedly commit crime.

Thought of a different way, if we are all meat computers, then some of the meat computers have programming conflicts with other meat computers which results in some meat computers being restricted in activities.

I covered the criminal aspect when I said that society would still be interested in taking the bad robots off the factory floor. Bad code is bad code, and you want to get that off the streets as quick as you can. Prison reform ideas get to the heart of the matter on whether you can get them to stop doing the bad behavior.

In this, I have no clue. Some people think that you can somehow convince a criminal to stop criming, or a fat person to stop eating. I don't think these people are stupid. I think they KNOW they need to stop. But something in their brain rewards them for doing it anyway. I don't think science is at a point where we can reliably psychologize or surgically alter this with time on the operating table or analysts' couch.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I meant to ask earlier, but forgot. What's your opinion on the idea that mental processes might work as a quantum computer? Would that alter the scenario significantly?

Maybe. It is my personal guess (not a science fact, just a personal guess) that having mental processes have *some* QM dependency is required for free will, but may not be sufficient.

The action of quantum computers is not necessarily any less deterministic than that of a digital computer. It is just that they process information differently, allowing them to perform certain calculations more quickly than a digital computer can. But the two will still come up with the same answer - the difference is just a matter of when.

Now, here's where interpretation of QM comes in. Remember Schrödinger's cat? The cat is in the box, and it is *both* alive and dead, until someone goes to look at it, and then its choice of state is made?

The typical interpretation is that the observer has a special quality - the ability to cause the quantum wave function to collapse from a wide range of possibilities to one single reality. Reality as a single thing only crops up when you have some entity capable of perception entering the picture.

For hundreds (I think thousands) of years, humans have posited that free will, as such, depends upon being "self aware" - you cannot have a will if you don't have some concept of a self separate from the rest of the universe. To be aware of the self, you must of course, be able to perceive the self.

And now you can probably see where I am going - free will then comes in as being able to collapse the QM waveform of your own mind!

I hope that is sufficiently scientifically mumbo-jumbo for everyone concerned :p

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
If I flip a coin to determine whether to reply to a post or not, is the coin constrained by reality?

Playing D&D I roll dice to determine results, however, regarding any free will over a decision I make is done in my head, and not to include physical decision making devices like coins or dice.

That said, there are too many variables in flipping a coin to determine if it were constrained or not. Beyond my level of caring, actuallly.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Scott Adams doesn't think will power exists.

I have not read Mr. Adams' piece. But I would not be surprised if he would be well-served by reading up some on the trials of those with great illness (I'm thinking "spoon theory" here), or those with issues with anxiety or PTSD. He might find them enlightening.

Janx

Hero
The typical interpretation is that the observer has a special quality - the ability to cause the quantum wave function to collapse from a wide range of possibilities to one single reality. Reality as a single thing only crops up when you have some entity capable of perception entering the picture.

For hundreds (I think thousands) of years, humans have posited that free will, as such, depends upon being "self aware" - you cannot have a will if you don't have some concept of a self separate from the rest of the universe. To be aware of the self, you must of course, be able to perceive the self.

And now you can probably see where I am going - free will then comes in as being able to collapse the QM waveform of your own mind!

I hope that is sufficiently scientifically mumbo-jumbo for everyone concerned :p

that was pretty good.

So if I've got a Shroedinger's Box sitting in the kitchen, and I'm watching TV, and my dog goes into the kitchen and sniffs at the box. Does my dog have Free Will if she comes back to me with a dead cat in her mouth? (I mean that the dog opened the box and extracted the dead cat, not that the dog killed the cat).

After all, my dog has resolved a quantum situation and finalized it to being a live or dead cat?

In slightly more serious note, I could buy an argument that "I think therefore I am" meaning you have Free Will if there's a science experiment that can "collapse the QM waveform" by virture of human percpetion, versus that of my dog or some non-qualifying perciever.

I'm not framing it well, but I think your point is that a human percieving the Shroedinger experiment causes a quantum decision point to resolve itself. If there's a way to show that happens for humans, and not for things that we don't think have free will (it's possible that my dog has a much free will as I do based on the definition).

Janx

Hero
Yeah, sometimes people confuse free will with freedom of action. If I go down to the soda machine with a dollar, being able to choose between Coke and Diet Coke is free will. Being driven inexorably to Coke by a hard-coded need for sugar is lack of free will.

Not being able to choose Diet Dr. Pepper, because it is sold out, isn't lack of free will - it is just being SOL.

Diet always tastes bad, so I would never drink Diet unless there was no non-diet, and even then, I'd have to be really thirsty.

Therefore, I have no free will because my decision tree eliminates the choice. I will almost always choose Dr. Pepper. then root Beer, then orange, then Coke.

Today, I did deviate and choose root beer at lunch.

Remove ads