Pros and Cons of going mainstream

So if we decide to change one portion of the rules... We are now worried about whether the boat is still the boat? Yes. Elements of Magic made a complete 1:1 swap for spells, with built in guidelines for any spellcasting class and full modular spellcasting for any spell with dozens of examples in a spell point system.

So if we decide to change a literal third of the rules to third party products, yes. And I mean a third of the rules.

It takes about the same time with 3e and a hint of system mastery.

And (a) doesn't work as well (you do not get the kinaesthetic combat of 4e or even the marking) and (b) is more complex.

Not really. But it's alright.

Or it shows that, for each group, there is going to be different ECL and CR bases. But again, it's alright.

In short it doesn't work at all and you've learned to live with it.

Grey Mouser exists in one of the Lankhmar books statted out.

15thf/11ftr/3mu - the statted books are 2e. And that's an epic fail right there. (The recent Lankhmar books are Runequest).

Barbarians 'crying to the heavens' for lightning? Wow, a simple magic item or even a PrC could do the same... Not even difficult.

*sigh* So keeping within the official rules it's magic items and making things up as you go along.

Fail again.

"So Metal" Barbarian, fwiw, sounds like a pretty shoddy concept for a character.

Wait a second. Wasn't it you who came up with the tattooed ogre fiendhunter? And you're talking about shoddy character concepts. Riiiiight.

But if you need we could always just check the outline for making a character class, match up the appropriate guidelines, and give a wide range of lightning and thunder based abilities over levels... Then supplement that with some basic magic items.

Make up a class. That's the "cut down a tree" school of carpentry. And then you need magic items to make things work?

Believe it or not you can make :):):):) up in 4e as well. It's actually easier.

You seem extremely focused on being flustered regarding the fact that more people play 3.x/d20 than 4e.

No I'm not. It's a simulationist game which means it's easier for many to get into. Also the 2008 rulebooks were a year under in terms of playtesting, and no part of WotC's outreach strategy was a good one.

What annoys me is that people dump on 4e based on making :):):):) up and on double standards.

1) where is the unicorn?, the unicorn is an important part of the character.

*snicker* In short 3e drowns the basic character concept by forcing things. You can do it with paragon path, theme, or prestige class.

2) it isn't "doesn't kill the thing if I'm the last to hit it", or "Apply the stunned condition" (in fact healers have zero debuffs on their spell list) is "If I ever hit it it won't die no matter how hard or mercilles my allies hit it, short of massive damage or a coup de Grace"

Is trivial in 4e - you don't have to kill things when you knock them out. You don't even have to houserule this - just to get others to agree to your character concept.

And the stunned condition in 4e is applied to the caster - they are actually serious about pacifist clerics.

3) What are those powers? anything that can leave you practically dead?

Glory be! A bit of actual fluff in 3.X that matches fluff somewhere else. And a drawback for spellcasting. And that depends how many surges you have left.

I'm impressed - you've actually found some decent flavour.

( laser powers are a big no, no; the only way this character ever inflicts damage is by the way of an unaugmented melee attack with no other effect than the above one.)

Not all "laser" powers do damage.

Well I'm not familiar with the grey mouser at all,

Appendix N. 4e he's just a rogue with the ritual caster feat.

and the barbarian if you give me time to search for an appropriate psionic power I might be able to do it. Or short of that I'm sure we'll find something if we look for third party books hard enough.

Now I'm just amused. There were over 50 books published for 3.5 that were generic and dealing with player side information, and however many Realms and Ebberon books there were. Between all those 50 you fail? And you are claiming that "a unicorn is a core part of the character concept" and want to slap my straight down the line barbarian with psionics?

I suppose once you take 50 rulebooks, a dozen Forgotten Realms books with PC material, eight Eberron books centered round PCs, the official Dragonlance book, and then go outside that for third party material (we're over 70 books and I'm not counting monster books) you ought to be able to get somewhere. And then you have to go outside that to third party books?

And you're struggling to match what 4e can do easily, while your idea of an interesting concept was the prefabricated stuff in the Book of Exalted Deeds and saying that "the unicorn is an important part of the character".

Hell, we'll try an easy one. Fighter. The 4e fighter gets up into the face of his foes and mechanically makes attacking someone else a bad idea. Also he's fast enough to get a free attack when someone tries to 5 foot step away and if they try to walk past his opportunity attack stops them cold. He owns the space around him and anyone who he focusses on in that space. Make me a 3.5 character who owns the space around him the way a basic 4e fighter does even before we start getting into build details. No magic.

delericho

Legend
Most of the people whose system mastery I respect turned their backs on 3e because they understand how it works - see, for instance Logic Ninja. (The others, like Trollman, are 3.X obsessives). [MENTION=22424]delericho[/MENTION] is a 3e fan and he, himself compares the 3e mechanical structure to having a broken arm and people pointing it out to people poking at the broken arm.

I kinda wish you hadn't mentioned me - I think I would have been happier not reading into this thread.

Unfortunately, what you say is right - the mechanics of 3e have deep and systematic flaws, especially in an "anything goes" campaign, but in some cases even right there in the core. In particular, the multiclassing system, item creation, and high level play in general all pretend to a much higher degree of mathematical rigour than they actually possess. A player who is determined to game the system absolutely can break it, and it takes a lot of mental effort from a determined DM just to rein in his worst excesses.

And, despite that, it's still the "least worst" edition for me.

(Actually, that's what I count as the worst tragedy of all of 4e. It was in amongst the course of the 4e design process that I really became aware of just how deep the flaws in 3e are, and 4e itself has some very nice fixes. And yet 4e, in totality, is really not for me, for various reasons. The upshot being that 4e was good enough to make me really disatisfied with 3e, without being good enough to replace it.)

But I digress. I'll let you all get back to your Edition Warring now. :)

Luce

Explorer
Gentle people (and DMs :p), while I appreciate your input it seems to me that we had become mired in yet another 3e vs e4e debate. My original intention was for the discussion to be more encompassing of all published editions. So if you are familiar with say Homes edition and wants to chime in, by all means do so.

Huh? 2nd ed AD&D introduced settings with canon, didn't it (though Dragonlance was the prefiguring of this trend).

I think the relevant contrast is between backstory and metaplot. 4e actively eschews metaplot. 2nd ed AD&D embraced it. 3E, I don't have a firm handle on in this respect.

IME 2e philosophy was :"Here are the official rules. We use those for sake of consistency if we have to play tournaments and living campaigns. Feel free to do otherwise." As I said before in this tread I want to beyond what the rule are and focus on how the game was played. The experience will undoubtedly vary based on the individual experiences. But (hopefully) that will still be a insightful discussion.

Personally when I was playing 2e the DMs did not feel that they have to follow all the official canon. So when a player would show them a contradiction in their game based on rulebook X it was acceptable for the DM to state that he or she was not achieving to X in their campaign. In 3e in such situation it was expected for the DM to retro change his narrative in order to preserve consistency. May be this was because TSR was printing so much material in short amount of time most groups could not keep up, may be DM fiat was more accepted as way the game was run, may be players could not just go to their local library and find the setting books there.
In other words, in the 2e plot kingdom the DM was king and canon was an adviser while in 3e the canon was king and the DM was his herald.

[URL="http://www.enworld.org/forum/members/neonchameleon.html" said:
Neonchameleon[/URL]] I also suffer from a need to roleplay within the world set up by the rules.

[URL="http://www.enworld.org/forum/members/neonchameleon.html" said:
Neonchameleon[/URL]] I'd make the assumption in any game that Demogorgon was a well known two headed leader of demons about whom a lot of legends had grown up - but I'd assume that that was all at the legendary rather than true level in the average fantasy setting. It gives a nice shared baseline but I certainly wouldn't expect that lore about Thuruzdun I'd read in the MM was correct in this specific setting. Using the names and attributes provides baseline common knowledge the DM doesn't have to set up rather than binds the DM; not all stories are true and not all are false.

Could you please elaborate as to dispel the contradiction the above two quotes create? The way I read it one one hand you are OK if the campaign have deviates from the rules while also stating that you value the consistency undiluted canon provided. Or may be you are stating that as a player you value creative changes, but you play your character as if the canon was real until proven otherwise in game?

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
*snicker* In short 3e drowns the basic character concept by forcing things. You can do it with paragon path, theme, or prestige class.

Ok, granted, might be forced flavor, now where is my unicorn?

Is trivial in 4e - you don't have to kill things when you knock them out. You don't even have to houserule this - just to get others to agree to your character concept.

And the stunned condition in 4e is applied to the caster - they are actually serious about pacifist clerics.

You mean that because the lack of rules I have to tell other people at the table how to play their characters in order for my character to work as it should?

Glory be! A bit of actual fluff in 3.X that matches fluff somewhere else. And a drawback for spellcasting. And that depends how many surges you have left.

Tell me how being stunned for a round compares to the sacrifice that taking CON damage implies? it isn't just taking hit point damage, it also affects further spellcasting and being more susceptible to many nasty effects and it isn't something that just goes away in five minutes, it is a panic button that risks actually killing your character, being stunned for a round is like cutting yourself with papper in comparison. If there is something like that please tell me which power does it. (really I'm been struggling to map this kind of character to 4e all edition long)

I'm not sure if this was sarcasm or not.

Not all "laser" powers do damage.
Again tell me which powers.

Appendix N. 4e he's just a rogue with the ritual caster feat.
well it sounds like a 3.5 rogue/wizard/fighter/arcane trickster, but if you care so much about being very powerfull on all fronts I have no idea, on 2e I would do him with a multi/dual classed fighter/thief with the runecaster kit. But I cannot be sure I'm too young for 1st edition and I haven't read the source material, I ignore if it could do the source book justice.

Now I'm just amused. There were over 50 books published for 3.5 that were generic and dealing with player side information, and however many Realms and Ebberon books there were. Between all those 50 you fail? And you are claiming that "a unicorn is a core part of the character concept" and want to slap my straight down the line barbarian with psionics?

Psionics was about the first thing that popped in my head when you requested this, and like I said on the initial challenge, reskin if you must, just give me my unicorn. Still finding the right power/spell is an important step towards homebrewing a prestige class. (DMG II has some good guidelines on how to create them).

I suppose once you take 50 rulebooks, a dozen Forgotten Realms books with PC material, eight Eberron books centered round PCs, the official Dragonlance book, and then go outside that for third party material (we're over 70 books and I'm not counting monster books) you ought to be able to get somewhere. And then you have to go outside that to third party books?
Well I haven't read (or even owned) all of those, forgive me for not knowing them from memmory, but soemthing that I liked from third edition was "if you look hard enough you'll find something", at least 3rd edition has an endless amount of third party support to speak of.

And you're struggling to match what 4e can do easily, while your idea of an interesting concept was the prefabricated stuff in the Book of Exalted Deeds and saying that "the unicorn is an important part of the character".

First of all, it isn't a prefabricated concept, and all it takes from BoED are three feats, it is a base class from miniatures handbook, and it is the dream come true of any dedicated healbot player, on 2e it was the pacifist priest of love, on 3.5 it is a healer with exalted feats, why a healer and not a cleric? well, the cleric has been progressively gainning more and more aggressive and martial bent as editions have advanced, having a class with a code of conduct that includes "no denying good people healing", is refreshing, and the semi druidic flavor overtones really help, a healer really screams "field medic".

Hell, we'll try an easy one. Fighter. The 4e fighter gets up into the face of his foes and mechanically makes attacking someone else a bad idea. Also he's fast enough to get a free attack when someone tries to 5 foot step away and if they try to walk past his opportunity attack stops them cold. He owns the space around him and anyone who he focusses on in that space. Make me a 3.5 character who owns the space around him the way a basic 4e fighter does even before we start getting into build details. No magic.
Combat Reflexes + Improved trip, pluss *cof, cof* Thicket of blades... And shield counter works very similar to marking.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I was thinking Combat Reflexes + Stand Still + Hold the Line + Deft Opportunist. For added giggles, add a polearm and Short Haft, or use a "Dhalsim" unarmed striker with extra-long limbs. Add in something like Enlarge Person or Expansion, and you can control a pretty big area.

(And , of course, there is more...)

Last edited:

Stormonu

Legend
15thf/11ftr/3mu - the statted books are 2e. And that's an epic fail right there. (The recent Lankhmar books are Runequest).

Grey Mouser is also in the 1E Legends and Lore/Deities & Demigods. And were you expecting, for comparison Elmister to be statted up as a 1st level wizard? Of course the printed stats are going to be for the character at the prime/top level of game. Balking about how high level he is doesn't change the fact he's been statted out for close to 30 years in D&D - which you said he wasn't.

Loonook

First Post
So if we decide to change a literal third of the rules to third party products, yes. And I mean a third of the rules.

You don't seem to understand that spells are a part of the system that can be excised and not looked at at all. But again, I'm not expecting much out of meeting anywhere near each other.

And (a) doesn't work as well (you do not get the kinaesthetic combat of 4e or even the marking) and (b) is more complex.

Your need for kinesthesia aside, this doesn't make your need for vehement agression apparent.

In short it doesn't work at all and you've learned to live with it.

In short I don't think I've ever used it, and believe that any quantifiable number in an RPG is situational. That whole 'playing two decades' thing showed me that, unless you're playing Rock Paper Scissors? Don't necessarily trust the odds.

Rules for ritual casting and incantations exist as options in D&D (see: UA). Again, I understand you must let the hate flow, but don't be willfully obtuse about the edition to 'make your point'.

*sigh* So keeping within the official rules it's magic items and making things up as you go along.

fail again.

And that is how it should be. Slapping a bit of extra Lightning damage and the occasional Daily swap instead of a bit of fire damage and the occasional Daily swap isn't exactly rocket science. Your Lightning barbarian is just a new shade of Koopa Troopa.

Wait a second. Wasn't it you who came up with the tattooed ogre fiendhunter? And you're talking about shoddy character concepts. Riiiiight.

Orangutan.

Make up a class. That's the "cut down a tree" school of carpentry. And then you need magic items to make things work?

No, it's the essence of the carpentry concept. I have the tools to create a balanced elemental barbarian class which, if I wanted, I could then just make an overall elemental barbarian. From there, I can then add additional effects through magic items without having to burn time making a Fireborn, Iceborn, etc. Just apply traditional elemental factors to each type. It takes less than an hour, and could technically just be done through Alternate Class abilities.

Believe it or not you can make :):):):) up in 4e as well. It's actually easier.

Uhhuh.

No I'm not. It's a simulationist game which means it's easier for many to get into. Also the 2008 rulebooks were a year under in terms of playtesting, and no part of WotC's outreach strategy was a good one.

Yet somehow more people and more new players still play 3.x and PF. Odd that. If we want to discuss purely easier to play we could go with BECMI, or any of the retroclones.

What annoys me is that people dump on 4e based on making :):):):) up and on double standards.

And what is bothersome is that 4e players cannot understand that their game isn't all that it is cracked up to be. Thus why we're coming up with a new edition that's mostly 3.x with some vague notions from 4e, 2e, etc.

Yes. From what I understand from lore of other tables, Monte Cook will come out of his eternal slumber and punch you in the throat if e'r you attempt to change The One True Edition.

Between the wreck of the Realms, the complete shift of the planar paradigm, and the obsession with Points of Light... What fluff did 4e take with it from earlier editions?

Your barbarian isn't exactly 'straight down' in any form save for 4e. But again, I don't think you understand how 3.x works due to your blatant disregard for how 3.x works.

Again, just because your fighter does things that are labeled differently in editions does not make it somehow the paragon of fighterly virtue.

I've gotten tired of the conversation as you seem to just be mad at all of this fun we're having. I get it... Maybe 3.x was too difficult for you to grasp, or your tendencies to destroy a system too difficult to ignore. The fact is that 4e has become sort of a lead balloon regarding play, and couldn't sell the 100 or so books 3.x did reliably.

IYou have about 14 months. Then welcome to being a neogrog.

Slainte,

-Loonook.

Gentle people (and DMs :p), while I appreciate your input it seems to me that we had become mired in yet another 3e vs e4e debate. My original intention was for the discussion to be more encompassing of all published editions. So if you are familiar with say Homes edition and wants to chime in, by all means do so.

IME 2e philosophy was :"Here are the official rules. We use those for sake of consistency if we have to play tournaments and living campaigns. Feel free to do otherwise." As I said before in this tread I want to beyond what the rule are and focus on how the game was played. The experience will undoubtedly vary based on the individual experiences. But (hopefully) that will still be a insightful discussion.

Personally when I was playing 2e the DMs did not feel that they have to follow all the official canon. So when a player would show them a contradiction in their game based on rulebook X it was acceptable for the DM to state that he or she was not achieving to X in their campaign. In 3e in such situation it was expected for the DM to retro change his narrative in order to preserve consistency. May be this was because TSR was printing so much material in short amount of time most groups could not keep up, may be DM fiat was more accepted as way the game was run, may be players could not just go to their local library and find the setting books there.
In other words, in the 2e plot kingdom the DM was king and canon was an adviser while in 3e the canon was king and the DM was his herald.

Could you please elaborate as to dispel the contradiction the above two quotes create? The way I read it one one hand you are OK if the campaign have deviates from the rules while also stating that you value the consistency undiluted canon provided. Or may be you are stating that as a player you value creative changes, but you play your character as if the canon was real until proven otherwise in game?

It's the split that's obvious in 4e and not so much in 3e. The PC/NPC split. It's a matter in this case of what should be known in character - if my PC has to do something a certain way (e.g. Vancian Casting) that has an immediate impact on the way I play my character with spell preparation every morning. If it's something involving an NPC then unless it really changes the setting (all urchins are 8th level fighters) it is not something that means I'm no longer sure what the character I'm roleplaying is.

Ok, granted, might be forced flavor, now where is my unicorn?

Off the Fey Beast Tamer theme to use the most obvious. Or depending how the unicorn behaves there are ways to get companions such as multiclass Shaman and Hybrid Ranger.

You mean that because the lack of rules I have to tell other people at the table how to play their characters in order for my character to work as it should?

I mean that D&D is a cooperative game and the fluff you've described is downright silly. You attack someone and they will not die by normal means simply because you hit them with your sword. If you want that then it's a five second agreement by the other PCs (the DM doesn't even have to be in on this, merely the other people hitting the monsters). If you don't think that's good enough then you can stop with your insistent claims that we can houserule things as you don't even need a houserule here, merely agreement of a possibility within the rules.

I'm not sure if this was sarcasm or not.

It wasn't. It was a 3.X cleric actually behaving like a mythological healer. The 4e Compassionate Healer Paragon Path goes to that extreme, sacrificing your own hit points and healing surges for others so you can kill yourself. It doesn't, however, have Con damage.

Again tell me which powers.

The obvious At Will is Astral Seal from Divine Power. Range 5, attacks at Wis+2 vs reflex. On a hit the enemy takes -2 to all defences and the next ally to hit it regains some hit points. If you want to play a cleric who never does damage, as of Divine Power you can set it up so your only damage-dealing power is your second At Will - and that can involve hittng someone with a weapon if you like.

well it sounds like a 3.5 rogue/wizard/fighter/arcane trickster, but if you care so much about being very powerfull on all fronts I have

I don't. That was the 2e version of him - and the reason he was an epic fail is because he's certainly not that high level.

Still finding the right power/spell is an important step towards homebrewing a prestige class. (DMG II has some good guidelines on how to create them).

You mean you can homebrew but object to a gentlemans agreement, and object to earning a companion character.

Well I haven't read (or even owned) all of those, forgive me for not knowing them from memmory, but soemthing that I liked from third edition was "if you look hard enough you'll find something", at least 3rd edition has an endless amount of third party support to speak of.

And most of it really doesn't add very much. That's the problem.

First of all, it isn't a prefabricated concept, and all it takes from BoED are three feats, it is a base class from miniatures handbook, and it is the dream come true of any dedicated healbot player, on 2e it was the pacifist priest of love, on 3.5 it is a healer with exalted feats, why a healer and not a cleric? well, the cleric has been progressively gainning more and more aggressive and martial bent as editions have advanced, having a class with a code of conduct that includes "no denying good people healing", is refreshing, and the semi druidic flavor overtones really help, a healer really screams "field medic".

Oh nonsense. The Cleric has been getting less and less martial as the years have gone on and more and more focussed on casting. Before 1e clerics didn't even get spells at first level. And a 4e cleric who specs for it can be a pure healbot. There was never any point to the healer being a separate class from the cleric - they are merely focussed clerics.

Combat Reflexes + Improved trip, pluss *cof, cof* Thicket of blades... And shield counter works very similar to marking.

OK. That's a third level stance and a seventh level counter. Minimum level to come close to touching the concept of a first level 4e fighter: 13. And Shield Counter doesn't cut it - the whole point about marking is that it puts the enemy into a lose/lose situation - either he can attack you in which case he's attacking the heavily armed and armoured guy or he's attacking someone else in which case you get a free swing. Eitrher way he loses and he knows it. Shield counter is just an extra attack and so exerts no control at all over what the enemy does.

So Shield Counter resembles marking in all ways except the important ones.

In short your 13th level Crusader resembles the fighter in that he prevents the enemy walking away - but doesn't prevent them attacking someone else which is a key part of the fighter's role.

Grey Mouser is also in the 1E Legends and Lore/Deities & Demigods. And were you expecting, for comparison Elmister to be statted up as a 1st level wizard? Of course the printed stats are going to be for the character at the prime/top level of game. Balking about how high level he is doesn't change the fact he's been statted out for close to 30 years in D&D - which you said he wasn't.

I wouldn't expect the Mouser to be level 15. Level 8, maybe. And he certainly isn't a 3rd level wizard. Three spells per day? As if. The point is that attempts to stat him up in D&D fail. Whatever that statted up thing is, it only bears passing resemblance to the Grey Mouser.

And it fails because Gygaxo-Vancian magic is bad flavour and doesn't resemble any fiction, not even the works of Jack Vance. (The self-harming healer is good flavour on the other hand - it's very mythological).

1) where is the unicorn?, the unicorn is an important part of the character.

Fey Beast Tamer Theme - Unicorn Destrier as companion/familiar/mount (whatever it is that you're looking for).

I'm sure I can sort out the other concerns. I'm thinking this character might be better served as a Priest/Malediction Invoker (with all non-damaging rebuke/control effects that hurt the Invoker).

You don't seem to understand that spells are a part of the system that can be excised and not looked at at all. But again, I'm not expecting much out of meeting anywhere near each other.

Do you genuinely think there are any rules involved in 3.X? Or is it really a case of "Make things up as you go along and by the way we've sold you a set of rulebooks for no particular reason". Because that's what you appear to be arguing.

You are yourself admitting that the rules of 3.5 as presented are not fit for purposeevery time you suggest house rules.

Your need for kinesthesia aside, this doesn't make your need for vehement agression apparent.

I get aggressive when people lie about 4e or assign to it things it doesn't have. Stop trying to define what it is when it is blatantly obvious you don't understand it

Rules for ritual casting and incantations exist as options in D&D (see: UA). Again, I understand you must let the hate flow, but don't be willfully obtuse about the edition to 'make your point'.

From the person who defined 4e as Ikea - and then proceeded to snap together an Ikea-style silly combination for a PC this has a lot of irony.

And that is how it should be. Slapping a bit of extra Lightning damage and the occasional Daily swap instead of a bit of fire damage and the occasional Daily swap isn't exactly rocket science. Your Lightning barbarian is just a new shade of Koopa Troopa.

And the thunder? His roars which get answered by lightning?

Orangutan.

Worse and worse.

No, it's the essence of the carpentry concept. I have the tools to create a balanced elemental barbarian class

Balanced against what? A 3.X druid? A 3.X Monk?

As the two are spectacularly badly balanced against each other, I'm going to say no you don't.

And the carpentry concept is apparently another way of saying "This game sucks and the parts I was sold are not fit for purpose".

Yet somehow more people and more new players still play 3.x and PF.

Citation needed for new players.

Odd that.

There's little 4e did right at the launch. The books were badly playtested, Keep on the Shadowfell might just be the worst introductory adventure ever, and the errata was needed because 4e was thrown together in a year after they threw out Orcus for being terrible.

And what is bothersome is that 4e players cannot understand that their game isn't all that it is cracked up to be.

Oh, 4e players understand what 4e does well and what it does badly. It's superb where it rocks - but if you want fast combat or non-adventurers or a gritty game, find something else.

Thus why we're coming up with a new edition that's mostly 3.x with some vague notions from 4e, 2e, etc.

Mostly 3.X? I'm seeing more of a 2e influence.

Between the wreck of the Realms, the complete shift of the planar paradigm, and the obsession with Points of Light... What fluff did 4e take with it from earlier editions?

Ebberon. Dark Sun. Most of the Gods. Most of the archetypes.

Your barbarian isn't exactly 'straight down' in any form save for 4e. But again, I don't think you understand how 3.x works due to your blatant disregard for how 3.x works.

If I listen to you, 3.X "works" by homebrewing to make up for its deficiencies.

Again, just because your fighter does things that are labeled differently in editions does not make it somehow the paragon of fighterly virtue.

Admission of failure I see. You know you can't match it - and it's a clear way of doing something.

I've gotten tired of the conversation as you seem to just be mad at all of this fun we're having. I get it...

No you don't. I get mad when people persistantly spread distortions. It started with Luce lumping 3e and 4e into one box when they are at very different ends of the spectrum. I also consider bad game design to have to fix the designer's oversights - the amount of time you have spent running down 3.X and saying "well you could homebrew" in this thread is quite spectacular.

And I get why you are mad. 4e came out and yours was no longer the main game in town.

Maybe 3.x was too difficult for you to grasp,

Maybe it wasn't. It's trying to recreate GURPS Fantasy's design assumptions in a D&D framework. And the better you get it the worse it looks. And the less you know other games the better it looks.

or your tendencies to destroy a system too difficult to ignore.

Now there's irony. I ignore 3.X until people start comparing it to 4e. Or worse yet trying to lump the two together.

The fact is that 4e has become sort of a lead balloon regarding play, and couldn't sell the 100 or so books 3.x did reliably.

It didn't try as far as I know. And if you release a product a year early right into the teeth of a recession with improper playtesting, bad advertising, bad explanations, rules which don't work (the DMG skill challenge rules), a Monster Manual you literally have to replace because it's in many ways terrible, an online initiative that's crippled by a murder/suicide, and the introductory module being the Keep on the Shadowfell (probably worse than The Forest Oracle), and follow that up by pissing off your magazine publisher and almost all the third party publishers it's not surprising it does comparatively badly. To add insult to injury, having your rules and most of your content for the edition you are trying to pull available legally for free in a way that can be reused is just asking for trouble.

You have about 14 months. Then welcome to being a neogrog.

Or just not bothering with ENWorld or D&D forums, as is far more likely.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases