Pathfinder 1E Random follower generator

Wycen

Explorer
So I know there are random and not so random character and NPC generators, but what about something to figure out your followers for the Leadership feat? I'm not sure how many people even worry about how many 1st level townsfolk want to be minions or servants but for those that do, is it funner to design each to your taste/need or randomly discover the shoemaker, prostitute, and farmer who want to follow your character?

MortalPlague

Adventurer
So I know there are random and not so random character and NPC generators, but what about something to figure out your followers for the Leadership feat? I'm not sure how many people even worry about how many 1st level townsfolk want to be minions or servants but for those that do, is it funner to design each to your taste/need or randomly discover the shoemaker, prostitute, and farmer who want to follow your character?

As a player, I'd love it if my DM were to either randomly generate or create some flavorful followers. For a 4th Edition game a while back, I put together a whole entourage to accompany some high level characters. They had a tiefling chronicler, a dragonborn lawyer, a shadar-kai dancer, a half-elf tiger tamer, a whole halfling acrobat troupe, a lightning genasi painter, a fire genasi apothecary, and more. It was a blast to have the characters interacting with their entourage, who were mostly helpful (but not always).

Wycen

Explorer
In this case, I'm not sure how much detail/immersion/energy the DM wants to put into all that.

I actually came up with the names, class, and background info on my first 6 followers (the DM took care of the actual cohort). Then I leveled up and thought about how many more times I might have to do it and how I might come up with entirely different NPC's compared to someone else. And in the back of my head I'm thinking about the old school random charts in the back of the 1E DMG.

Though I'm not really interested in knowing which each and every skill point goes and what their feats are. After all, they aren't going with me on adventures (being 1st level mostly), but it would be fun to know who I should put in charge of brewing ale when I'm out of town, stuff like that.

Wycen

Explorer
I've developed a bare bones random chart, though of course customized to our campaign and my character. It would make sense that the elf in our party, for example, if he had more elven followers than human.

The tricky part is determining the skill or profession of commoners or experts. My inclination was to take the suggested Craft skills from the text and roll that, then to determine from that if a Profession would match up. Problem is there are 21 "most common" Craft skills mentioned and 30 Profession skills. So, you can combine Craft Armor and/or Weapons for 20, so you could roll a d20. But attempting to equate a skill to profession requires more work than the 30 or 40 minutes I dedicated to this idea. Though, with 20 crafts and 30 professions you could use percentile and each skill has a 2 percent chance on the chart.

So, for an expert, I figured you could first roll d4 and figure out if they were an expert in Craft, Knowledge, Perform or Profession and determine the sub-specialty from there.

Remove ads