Assassination 2: The Lost Children

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Or we could spend few more hours and pay for the rituals of divination to guide us. Or those have already been attempted and failed?"

Neurotic

[MENTION=88601]FourMonos[/MENTION], I cannot send you a message you exceeded your quota so here's the answer:
[sblock=For DM eyes]
I have absolutely no idea. Never used them, but I can go through the list fairly fast. If I were you, I'd prepare some vague answer to the effect "Would be do better to go with lightning rail, ship or the horses?" notice the ambiguity with ship being air ship or just normal ship ;)

So, "quick wind and night travel brings you closer to your goal" may be the answer (which would fail to specify that it's airship in the answer and the questioner may assume normal ship (with night travel being a hint because it was mentioned in the discussion...

I only ever used hand of fate which requires you to offer the options so if you don't offer it you don't get the answer you hoped for only best of what you offered.

In general, try to use it to point us in slightly more precise locale or give the hint if you can foresee a fork in which you can see the party splitting.

I will give you a list of rituals that are common and uncommon and within hero tier (which could be easily affordable by the powerful house and an ambassador)
Good night
[/sblock]

FourMonos

First Post
"I have asked our scryers to search, but of yet, they have not detected anything. It could be she is too far from here or not in the direction of there detection. Maybe being turned to stone could impact the scrying."

KarinsDad

Adventurer
"Since we don't know what route or mode they took, the faster we get there then the better, right? We can worry about tracking the child down once we get there."

Yes, cause we all know what happened the two times yesterday that you raced ahead before looking. You got your butt handed to you. The point is that if the girl was not in the caravan from four days ago and left earlier, she could be anywhere by now. Where exactly do you suggest that we look? If we overtake and ambush the caravan that left four days ago, at least we might acquire a clue as to her precise location. Without such information, any attempt to just rush headlong into Droaam is not only a fool's errand, but a suicidal one at that.

Last edited:

FourMonos

First Post
"Your concerns mirror ours, shifter," Kava nods, "The only connection we have is the fact these attackers originated in Droaam. From the shadow troll leader to the changling assassins. There may be little evidence of the girls location now, but we strongly feel she has been brought to Droaam. I'm not opposed to overtaking the caravan, but the loss of the caravan could signal whoever masterminded this plan, and perhaps give themselves time to prepare themselves for anything we have to offer."

Kava pauses with a worried look at the Ambassador, "We have also recognized that the Ambassador's daughter may already be dead. The Ambassador is willing to pursue this next step. We have a strong House Tharashke presence in Droaam, and particularly in Greywall. We are some of the best trackers and hunters in all of Khorvaire. If she is there, we will find her."

The Ambassador interrupts Kava, "I do not ask any of you to march off to your doom. If you are not comfortable with my plan, then I understand your stepping aside. I can find others. Possibly. But I have seen you fight. You saved all of us from the assassins. I believe in you. I would like your decision within the hour. Please let Reginald know or meet us at the north gate."

With a heavy silence, Milthane and his guards leave the room.

GM: On a side note, I know @Velmont is busy but I haven't heard from @rb780nm for awhile. If neither are immediately available, do you guys want to pick up a striker or two until they become available? I can always have them catch up to the caravan or arrive in Greywall later. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Neurotic

OOC: It would be impractical for them to suddenly appear in Droaam by themselves...But we were large party and between three defenders and two leaders I don't think we need new blood. That said, there are few people eagerly awaiting adventures so go for it.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
"Ambassador, it's not a matter of risking our lives. It's a matter of risking our lives over little or no information. Droaam is a very large area. If your daughter went there, she could be anywhere. She might be at Turakbar's Fist or might be scheduled to arrive there, but then again, she might not.

Instead of us immediately traveling over 500 miles to go to Greywall, you should instead use House Sivis to contact Kava's kinsman in Greywall and see what he knows and how he can assist. If he can confirm that your daughter has been taken to Turakbar's Fist, then we can travel directly there without delay. If he has no information yet because she has not yet arrived or his contacts have not heard about her, at least he has been forewarned as to what to look out for.

In the meantime, since we have to travel in that direction anyway, it seems to make sense to overtake the caravan that left here four days ago and see if we can get any additional information from any Droaamites in it. You do not know what the cargo is in that caravan, but it may be your daughter, or it may be something else important to your enemies, or it may give us more information on the exact location of your daughter. Not taking this opportunity seems foolish.

We will also need some type of official jurisdiction given to us in order to stop and search a caravan on the roads. Without that, we would be no better than any other bandits.

And nothing against your kinsman Kava, but your avenue of investigation seems premature at this point. Your kinsman is very far away. It will take at least three weeks or more for us to reach him by caravan. By the time that we get to him, the situation will have changed and probably not for the better.

Sneaking into Droaam isn't an issue. It's a bunch of little bandit and warlord groups where anything goes. Nobody will miss a few more of them if something happens. But we should be addressing the real issue here. Even if the Ambassador's daughter is heading into Droaam, we need to find out exactly where she is heading, who has her, and what they plan to do with her. Obviously, it is not to kill her. They would have done that already. I suspect that they will try to exert influence over the Ambassador. That is the only thing that makes sense."

Neurotic

"I disagree. I'd say they wanted to start a war to better their chances of being left alone or reinstate warlike races within five kingdoms. And if there is truth to troll invoking his beastly god, they may indeed want to sacrifice her. Overtaking the caravan should be our first task, on that I agree, but we cannot just take whoever from Droaam and interrogate them. We need a target."

Focusing his mind, kalashtar sends to the ambassador
"Your eminence, I would suggest to either resign or start working under disguised control, both for your safety, safety of the kingdoms and remote possibility to catch someone connected to the kidnappers when they try to contact you."

KarinsDad

Adventurer
"A war? Hmmm. That's a possibility. But yes, we need a target and we need one soon. We cannot wait to find out our target a month from now in Greywall. Plus, just traveling up the road through Droaama to Greywall could compromise us. Most of us wouldn't create a stir in Droaama, but Malehan's an Elf, Kal's a Deva, and you are a Kalashtar. We might have to disguise the three of you if we are going to just walk up the road in a caravan. Not only that, but Rohna is traveling on a big pig. If anyone here in Sharn got information out about us to them, the pig and even Dusk will be dead give aways. Course, I can hide Dusk in the Fey and bring him out as needed. I suspect that Rohna cannot do that with the pig. We'll just have to risk it. But the real crux of the matter is that we need to find the target and we need to hit that target as soon as possible."

FourMonos

First Post
"I contacted my kinsman last night, Lady Chael. His investigators and trackers are starting even now to look for leads and information. While we have some influence there, investigations in Droaam take time and care. As far as people from the Five Kingdoms go, there is a district of Greywall known as Calabas. You will not be persecuted while you are there specifically. Greywall is also the city most used to foreigners. You may bump arms with ogres, trolls and medusa in the streets, but likely they are not any more likely to attack you than you would be here in Sharn by dwarves or elves."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases