WOTC stores not selling Games Workshop

Lewy

First Post
I found the news that WOTC have decided to stop selling Games Workshop products rather amusing. How many of you remember Games Workshop doing just the same to everyone else many years ago when they decided to sell only their own products? This did a large amount of harm to the UK RPG industry at the time and a lot of people stopped using GW for anything. Deja vu - I guess WOTC are finally getting their own back!

It seems a shame they'll not be covering other peoples D20 products though.

Cheers,

Lewy.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Yes, I was really frustrated when Games Workshop stopped bothering with anything other than their own lines.

White Dwarf used to be an excellent D&D/Traveller/Runequest/etc magazine... I think I have the first 50 issues. BUT, I don't think I've had anything to do with Games Workshop for the last ten years or so.

At one time we had Games Workshop and the Games Centre. Then Games Centre was bought out by Virgin, then Games Workshop stopped selling anyone elses stuff, then Virgin stopped doing RPGs... Thank goodness for the small independent stockists, is all I can say.

Cheers

shadowlight

First Post
I guess I can understand losing the Games Workshop stuff, but other RPGs? Those still seem pretty core to what the Wizards stores are all about...

Lewy

First Post
This seemed a bit funny to me too. A case of let's open up the world by creating D20 and then another part of the company blocks it out - strange!

BTW - I think everyone agrees that White Dwarf was good....once! I gave up at 100 (from the start) but that just shows how good it was pre-issue 50. Do you remember how good the original shop in Dalling Road, Hammersmith was? The most impressive playground I've ever had the chance to visit. Such a shame!

Cheers,

All the WOTC stores I've seen were old Gamekeeper stores located in malls. Their primary market wasn't hard-core gamers, it was families purchasing card games, board games, video games, etc.

This doesn't surprise me -- I'll bet they weren't moving much of their RPG and miniatures stuff compared to the cost of the on-hand inventory. Probably a purely numbers decision, but it is unfortunate as it is one less outlet for many 3rd party companies, plus now you lose another opportunity to "upsell" minis games and the like to the general public.

Voadam

Legend
"and nearly all non-WotC RPGs."

Does anybody know if this includes non-WotC d20 or do they consider d20 a WotC RPG as it leads to increased sales of the PH and next years revised books.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Lewy said:
Do you remember how good the original shop in Dalling Road, Hammersmith was? The most impressive playground I've ever had the chance to visit. Such a shame!

Remember it? I queued up on the day it opened! I don't think I could afford much that was inside, but hey!

(One of my first D&D purchases was "Greyhawk" at their very original place... was it 97 uxbridge road or something? near Crystal Palace football ground? It was sort of down some steps and in a back room of a house :)

ninthcouncil

First Post
Lewy said:
Do you remember how good the original shop in Dalling Road, Hammersmith was?

Of course, now that I live in Hammersmith, I've never been to the Games Workshop branch here.... (not that it's in Dalling Road anyway, and the HQ has moved to Nottingham).

Remove ads