It is official: Margaret Weis gets Firefly license!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Out of curiosity - I never saw the game personally, unfortunately - how would this differ to the Serenity license they had? Both are Cortex system game set in the Firefly/Serenity 'Verse?

Greg K

Legend
Out of curiosity - I never saw the game personally, unfortunately - how would this differ to the Serenity license they had? Both are Cortex system game set in the Firefly/Serenity 'Verse?

The previous license was only Serenity. They could not directly use anything from the Firefly series and had to do work arounds to reference to characters and other material not from the movie. Badger became the basis for "Crime Boss". Early became the basis for the "Bounty Hunter".

Now, it is not clear if they are using the original Cortex system or Cortex +. If the former, they can add in the system improvements and additional material from the Big Damn Heroes sourcebook and later Cortex games. If they use the latter system, the game will be different from Serenity.

Edit: Apparently, Cam twittered that it will use a version of Cortex +. However at rpg.net, he said that it is to early to begin discussing the specifics of the mechanics.

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
The previous license was only Serenity. They could not directly use anything from the Firefly series and had to do work arounds to reference to characters and other material not from the movie. Badger became the basis for "Crime Boss". Early became the basis for the "Bounty Hunter".

That was certainly the case with the core rulebook. But Saffron appears in "Out in the Black", and she appears alongside Badger and Early (and others) in the "Big Damn Heroes Handbook". I'm not sure how they squared up the legalities of that... but I'm glad they did.

I'm looking forward to this new game. Serenity is a good game, but the system is pretty primitive these days; an update is likely a good thing.

delericho

Legend
I actually found myself running Serenity this afternoon, and sure enough - it's a fun game, and the setting is surprisingly excellent for an RPG (just enough setting to get everyone on the same page; not so much as to constrain everyone's imagination), but the system is somewhat weak. Indeed, I'm halfway inclined to ditch the system entirely, and just port the setting to Savage Worlds or similar.

That being the case, news of the second edition (or, technically, a "Firefly" RPG to supersede the "Serenity" one) is welcome.

Greg K

Legend
That was certainly the case with the core rulebook. But Saffron appears in "Out in the Black", and she appears alongside Badger and Early (and others) in the "Big Damn Heroes Handbook". I'm not sure how they squared up the legalities of that... but I'm glad they did.
Yeah, when I typed my reply hadn't had much sleep and forgot that they were in BDH.

I'm looking forward to this new game. Serenity is a good game, but the system is pretty primitive these days; an update is likely a good thing.

I think incorporating the material from BDH and some of the changes from later would fix it up nicely. Barring that, I am happy to have a Cortex + version (and we are getting a Cortex + version) and Leveraging the Black, Craig "Craggle" Payne's Leverage hack is, actually, pretty good start (although, it uses the one thing from Leverage that I wish had been differently).

Last edited:

Greg K

Legend
I actually found myself running Serenity this afternoon,
I was supposed to be having a character creation session tonight. However, I got busy with work the past few days (including having to go into the office, yesterday) and forgot to call my players.

and sure enough - it's a fun game, and the setting is surprisingly excellent for an RPG (just enough setting to get everyone on the same page; not so much as to constrain everyone's imagination), but the system is somewhat weak. Indeed, I'm halfway inclined to ditch the system entirely, and just port the setting to Savage Worlds or similar.

Savage Worlds is my favorite non supers rpg so I can understand wanting to port the setting. However, Cortex is good enough, in my opinion and, from what I have seen of BDH and the Cortex System Book, the changes in both fix many of the games issues for me (I will know for sure when I test them in play).

Greg K

Legend
Could someone give a brief overview of the main differences between Cortex and Cortex +?

If nobody else does, I will try to post something tonight. However, Cortex + is not, really, one system. It is a family sharing a basic language , but with their own variations/differences.

Remove ads