A Salute to the Fallen and perhaps, a little Prayer to the God of Lost Things.

doghead

thotd
I have just finished bringing my PbP thread up to date. It comes to a grand total of 25 characters and 12 games spanning a period of almost 10 years. There have been some long term games in that time, and some short ones. Some made it to some form of conclusion, many others just faded or died. There is one in which the character never made an IC appearance, and there are several games which got consumed in the Great Crash of 2006 leaving almost no trace. Most of the characters are my own, but some were abandoned shells that I ghost hacked. Playing a character created by someone else is an interesting way to play something you wouldn't yourself choose. There is even a honest to goodness Wizard character which I created myself.

PbP can be frustrating at times, especially when you tend to invest quite a bit in your characters. But it can also be inspiring, entertaining and just down right fun. I have enjoyed rediscovering the characters, and re-reading bits and pieces of the games. I would happily jump back into almost all of these games should the opportunity arise. But if I had to choose three (and its not an easy choice), it would be these:

1. Strahd_Von_Zarovich's Yar Gock, a homebrew Dnd3.5 goblin game.

Ur'nagi was a fierce little female goblin wolf rider in a society that didn't accept female warriors. She burned with a desire to driver her spear into the hearts of those who oppressed her and seize control of her tribe. She would change her world or die trying. Ur'nagi is the character that inspired this thread, so its only fitting she get top billing.

2. DarkMaster's Hero of Mergovie, a homebrew Dnd3.5 game.

Xavier Roces, male human Paladin of Heironeous was a fairly straightforward character. But the game was compelling. It was something of a blockbuster, running over several years and multiple IC threads. Something was going on in Mergovie in general and in the Church of Heironeous in particular. Xavier Roces was sent to investigate. Unfortunately we never found out what was going on. I would like to.

3. Krug's Once Upon a Time in the Weird West, a homebrew d20 Modern game.

Jianna was cool, and so was the setting. It was also one of those games where within the first few post the characters (there were only two) had sparked off each other and the game just came alive. Jianna was also a bit different. She was Half Celestial, but that side of her was latent, set to manifest itself over several levels. I would have really liked to see how this played out through the game.

Looking over my choices, the common theme seems to be the desire to know happened. Or more accurately, what would have happened. I would be interested to see which games and characters others here would bring back if they could, and why.

And who knows. It may be a forlorn prayer. But if nothing else, it is a salute to the fallen.

thotd

Jemal

Adventurer
I haven't updated mine in forever.. I think I've probably forgotten some of the ones in between from then to now..
Updated
Yeah, now I KNOW I've forgotten some stuff over the years..
And that made me realize again that I DM a lot more than I play. *Shrug*

Also, Doghead, I could've sworn we were in some games together, but the only thing I see on your list is New Heroes Arise which I DM'd..

Last edited:

doghead

thotd
Also, Doghead, I could've sworn we were in some games together, but the only thing I see on your list is New Heroes Arise which I DM'd..

Humm ... Found one - Battletech. Cheers! Good call.

I'll do some more rooting around when I have time a track down the rest of the threads for this game. Most of the games and characters came from a quick and dirty list I put together after the Crash of 06 obliteraed my recent updates, old subscriptions and some searches. Looks like I need to do some more looking.

I still remember NHA fondly (especially winding up the paladin). My 'Newbie' introduction to PbP.

thotd

Scotley

Hero
My signature contains a link to a veritable ghost town of fallen heroes and broken dreams too. We had a couple games in common.

Some of the ones on my list were good, a few not so much and a many never really got off the ground. If I had the time to do some research I expect I could come up with at least three that I wish I could jump back into. Indeed, I'm sure most of them could get me playing again if the opportunity arose. The crashes 2006 and 2012 took their toll on mine history as well.

I've often thought of running a 'back from the dead' game where orphaned characters from various dead games get together for a new game. I'm over-committed as GM these days, but someday I'll do it. I've been in at least one such game and seen some others over the years.

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
I also have a cemetery of character here: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?310908-The-Link-Village-of-Voda-Vosa#post5669825

Most of the ones I'm playing now are not even there, I let my village fall into disrepair.

I cherish the memory of Thok, the courageous and blunt half orc barbarian, Helicrates the cursed warrior, and also Petron, the charming warrior.

Ah, good times.

I had a cleric character who adventured briefly with Thok before that game died. Good times.

Last edited:

doghead

thotd
I should do this, i suspect it will be very sad.

Yes, a little bit sad. But reading the old threads as you hunt them down can be a bit of a treat, and a laugh.

Looks like I am in with a chance of resurrecting Rain, my female elf Sorcerer who thinks that she is a fighter.

thotd

Remove ads