Cauldron Born Surprise Twist (spoilers)

Falkus

Explorer
Kell slipped the net during the raid on the Theatre, and then the party took the deal from Ciprianno. Unfortunately, they had only rooted our only two of the moles, so they left

Thus, while that was happening, he went to confront the B Team. He opened up strongly, slashing away most of Carlos hitpoints with his human bane machete. The rest of the party was relatively ineffective, except for a single, high damage scorching ray. Then, on Dimas' turn, on initiative count zero; he cast hold person.

I rolled his will save out in the open.

It came up a 2.

Kell made the save on his second turn to lose the effect, but it cost him. The rest of the party moved in, surrounded him, and took advantage of his inability to act. Nobody got off a coup de gras, but he still took plenty of damage, including another scorching ray, and a sneak attack. He was down to one hit point by the end of the second round.

He never got a third turn; he got finished up at the top of the third round with a shocking grasp.

So ultimately, he moved in, got off a single attack, then was paralyzed and murdered. It would have gone a lot differently if he'd saved and gotten into the middle of the group where he probably could have easily taken down the wizard who ended up dealing the most damage.

My player's got big kick out of it, especially when I told them later how B Team wasn't meant to survive this encounter.

As long as the players were happy, cool. But we didn't intend Kell to go after the B-Team solo. Kate Glenn was set up with dispel magic and hold person on her spell list explicitly to counterspell takedown effects like this.

Again, though, happy players are better than tactical fidelity.

Falkus

Explorer
Just reread the notes... and whoops, my bad. I had Nick there; but I missed the line about Kate when I was setting up for the session. I probably would have rolled a one on the dispel check anyway, with the way my luck ran during that fight.

In any case, I'm actually glad it worked out this way. Due to players moving to North Carolina and Japan next month; this was our last session for what's going to be a long, long time; so better to end it on a celebratory note I feel.

Remove ads