[recruiting maybe] Simple Superheroes - Artifice City

HarryBModest

Villager
Hi everyone. I'm just posting to say that I'm planning to join. I'm just playing with a few character concepts, though I think I'm leaning towards a teleporter. Though I was also considering a character who is extraordinarily lucky, or someone who can see and manipulate relationships. Any thoughts on the kind of character you'd like to have around, or would make an interesting addtion to your party would be appreciated.

Zerith

First Post
well, extreme luck is a good power for a dice system: unlike Zeta, whos armor is "hard" (it's unreasonable to assume that Joe smoe can punch and hurt a supper heavy armored robot...) Luck is soft: if he is just unrealistically lucky, it makes sense that he can survive a blast from a cannon and then turn around and get knocked cold by Joe smoe.

and as for friendship... the power of friend ship... yeah...

but yeah, Teleport + hyper armored character: You could telli Zeta over somone and then 'bomb' them with teh steam bot: he would get rather annoyed but that's why your can teleport away XD

fireinthedust

Explorer
HarryBModest: sounds fun! Good to have you aboard, and welcome to ENworld. I'd recommend going with a solid superhero concept. We've got a telekinetic superman, a stage magician whose magic really works, and my character: a 1950s scientist wearing iron man armor. The Justice League, the Avengers, and in fact any of the old school, silver-age comics, could be inspiration for you. the teleporter concept is good as a power, but who is this person? What kind of teleporting are we saying: magic, or science, or something else? And what can the game system handle? (ie: lots of short-range teleports, or only big group teleportation?) and what does he wear?

If you don't want that teleporter: What do you think would be fun to play, not just be? A speedster like the Flash? a mythological hero, like Hercules? An archer like Green Arrow?

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
I would work on Harbinger again; I like his character :3(why else would I ask to use him?)
I'd be happy to develop him elsewhere if you want to for the fun of it. Perhaps in the websites dedicated forum?

You have some great concepts here. I think you are over-complicating things. Let me think about it some more.

Last edited:

Thondor

OK everyone I have updated the OP with a whole bunch of stuff. I'd like to make sure everyone at least reads the "Defenses" part. Don't want anyone getting a nasty surprise.

Also closing recruiting (for now anyway).

I did start an RG thread, so if you think your character is done, (and it seems like I agree) please post them there (link in the first post).

Finally . . . Team Name duh dun duh! Please discuss.

Zerith

First Post
The Artificers
;3

And I still want to know what character to do. Zeta is one, but I've been working on several and not knowing the one to go with.
This character, for example, is a warlock who, after having a mid eternity crises (sees the light blah blah blah) can't live with the regret and basically reincarnates his own soul(but not his body, interestingly enough
[sblock=Zinerath the Unending]

Identity: Alexander Ravensworth

Talents
Accuracy: 2-Clawed Swipe[O]
Mobility: 3-Feline Grace.[F]
Toughness: 5-Alechemical Alteration[F] 3-Alchemical fortitude[D]
Might:
Brains: 4-Alcemical Genius[F, H, P]
Senses: 2-Eldritch Sight[F]

Superpower Finesse: Pending

Weakness:
Eldritch nature: Zinerath’s ties to Eldritch powers exceed his new found understanding, and are infused to his very core, this can lead to many surprising circumstances, such as him, accidently, getting trapped within a tome that falls open onto his head, or when holding an eldritch artifact ‘improperly’

Eldritch beacon: Zinerath is a powerful nexus of Eldritch energy, the kind of witch is early seen outside of the very most potent of artifacts and casters alike, to those with the sense to see the arcane for what it is, he stand out like an ancient oak looming over blades of grass, and for those looking for a guiding light on an astral plane, he blinds. It is amazing easy to find him through arcane means.

Lifepoints: 6
Strainpoints: 6

Relations: 2-Arcane Formula, 1- Eldritch Artifacts, 1-Redeption/true past

Description of Talents:
Alchemical Alteration: Zinerath’s body, from imbibing of experimental alchemical droughts, has acquired innumerous qualities, a third heart, powerful clawed legs, a barbed tail, excreta. A curious aspect is that he has seemingly stumbled onto the secret of immortality and eternal youth, he has reportedly been ‘assassinated’, “Slain” or otherwise ‘killed’ innumerous times over the past centuries.
At the start of each turn, Zinerath rolls 2d6, each roll of 4 up he regains 1 LP. Additionally, he has a annoying capacity to ‘get better’ after being ‘killed’ or otherwise incapacitated when by appearance logic he should not be able to do so.

Alchemical Fortitude: one of the reasons Zinerath has posed difficult to slay is that his body is far more vigorous then that of a normal human, granting him surprising resistance to all kinds of poisons and other harms that should be life threatening, as well as making him generally more durable,
Treat as rank 3 vs poisons, disease, venoms, toxins, corrosives, excreta, rank 2 vs general physical harm.

Alchemical Genius: Zinerath, despite his amnesia, is in a league unto himself in term of Knowledge in the field of Alchemy; Zinerath may, with the proper means (a lab…), produce Alchemical derivatives that have a far flung range of affects. The potions must be drank(D), flung(F), or poured(P) as needed to be used.
Zinerath may create one off potions that mimic the effects of abilities up to rank 4, and may have up to three at a time perpered: Most commonly, Zinerath has a potion of vigor(D, healing), a potion of Dra(F, explosive), and a potion of iron skin(P, physical resistance)
[Note: Flung potions must succeed twice, once to hit, and again for the potion itself.]

Claws swipe: Zinerath uses his claws to slash at a foe.

Feline Grace: Zinerath is light footed with long strides.

Group: TBA
Orientation: Hero
Role: Distraction/utility[/sblock]

Last edited:

Thondor

And I still want to know what character to do.
This is really up to you. I'm going to make suggestions for Zinerath the Unending.

[sblock=Zinerath the Unending- with comments]

Identity: Alexander Ravensworth

Talents
Accuracy: 2-Clawed Swipe [O]
Mobility: 3-Feline Grace [F]
Toughness: 5-Alechemical Alteration[F], 3-Alchemical fortitude [D]
Might:
Brains: 4-Alcemical Genius[F, H, P] I wouldn't normally put these two here, P for potency is adequate
Senses: 2-Eldritch Sight [F]

Superpower Finesse: Pending

Weakness:
Eldritch nature: Zinerath’s ties to Eldritch powers exceed his new found understanding, and are infused to his very core, this can lead to many surprising circumstances, such as him, accidently, getting trapped within a tome that falls open onto his head, or when holding an eldritch artifact ‘improperly’

Eldritch beacon: Zinerath is a powerful nexus of Eldritch energy, the kind of witch is early seen outside of the very most potent of artifacts and casters alike, to those with the sense to see the arcane for what it is, he stand out like an ancient oak looming over blades of grass, and for those looking for a guiding light on an astral plane, he blinds. It is amazing easy to find him through arcane means.

An 'Out of time' weakness would also seem natural. He is not really familiar with modern times.

Lifepoints: 6
Strainpoints: 6

Relations: 2-Arcane Formula, 1- Eldritch Artifacts, 1-Redeption/true past

Description of Talents:
Alchemical Alteration (5- Toughness): Zinerath’s body, from imbibing of experimental alchemical droughts, has acquired innumerous qualities, a third heart, powerful clawed legs, a barbed tail, excreta. A curious aspect is that he has seemingly stumbled onto the secret of immortality and eternal youth, he has reportedly been ‘assassinated’, “Slain” or otherwise ‘killed’ innumerous times over the past centuries.
At the start of Zineraths action whenever he is part of a combat, Zinerath rolls 2d6, each roll of 4 up he regains 1 LP. Additionally, he has a annoying capacity to ‘get better’ after being ‘killed’ or otherwise incapacitated when by appearance logic he should not be able to do so.

Let's make the above 5. Additionally I would suggest that he does not heal rapidly in non-combat situations, so once a confrontation ends, he'll only get one role per 'transitional scene.' If you narrate him using some time using alchemical mixtures on himself during that scene we can use basic successes (3+ on 2d6).

Alchemical Fortitude (3- Toughness): One of the reasons Zinerath has posed difficult to slay is that his body is far more vigorous then that of a normal human, granting him surprising resistance to all kinds of poisons and other harms that should be life threatening, as well as making him generally more durable,
Treat as rank 3 vs poisons, disease, venoms, toxins, corrosives, excreta, (I would include electricity, genetic manipulation, unwilling transformations but exclude heat, cold, magic (unless it is administering the previous effects), light etc)
rank 2 vs general physical harm.
If you want this it would be another Talent, sorry no free lunch.

Alchemical Genius (4- Brains): Zinerath, despite his amnesia, is in a league unto himself in term of Knowledge in the field of Alchemy; Zinerath may, with the proper means (a lab…), produce Alchemical derivatives that have a far flung range of affects. The potions must be drunk(D), flung(F), or poured(P) as needed to be used.
Zinerath may create one-off potions that mimic the effects of abilities up to rank 4, and may have up to three at a time prepared: Most commonly, Zinerath has a potion of vigor(D, healing), a potion of Dra(F, explosive), and a potion of iron skin(P, physical resistance)
[Note: Flung potions must succeed twice, once to hit, and again for the potion itself.]

Numbers - please reverse three an 4.
One-off - Normally a "Potency" Talent like this requires a "Time" Talent, otherwise you would be looking at a few days to a week or more to make something. Since your alchemicals are one-off I think having it take an hour for simple potions and a up to a day for complex substances is reasonable.
Duration - Most potions will be instant. Non-instant substances last for 1 action per basic success on 4d6. Example: Zinerath coats himself in iron skin which takes an action. He rolls 4d6, getting 5,3,3,1 -- three basic successes. The effects of iron skin last for three more actions.

Claws swipe (2- Accuracy): Zinerath uses his claws to slash at a foe.

Feline Grace (3- Mobility): Zinerath is light footed with long strides.

Group: TBA
Orientation: Hero
Role: Distraction/utility

Background and Personality
?

[/sblock]
Overall it is a little odd that you have a mystical seeming background -- and a weakness against magic (being found, artifact mishaps) -- and no defense against magic. Not that I think you need it.

Zerith

First Post
plot wise: he is a Warlock/alchemist who has basically lost his memories, and thus the ability to use spells (beyond those he is innately using in alchemy) and so he can't, just yet, use the spells that would afford him the protections that he formally employed: before if a tome hit him, by any means, he would effortlessly resist being drawn in, instead of knee-jerking and flinging himself into it unwittingly as he now dose. Like wise he could easily mask himself from arcane sight.
Put simply, his character sheet would be/was comically over powered; he was basicly the biggest bad behind all the bigger bads behind all the other big bads. The kind of guy who, if he shows up, you know what's hitting the fan.
Plote wise, from the RP's point of veiw, this gives you the option of having a magic based character, or otherwise learned up on mythic lore character, recognized him for who he is: A (formal) master of evil(, and now a novice hero). I think this is a neet throw in because he is, was obscure even in his days of renown so it makes sense, plot wise to go either way, having a character in in the know know of him or have the character not know of him, he has long been dormant from schemes, and so he has basically long since became more of a boogie man then a real threat/potential-ally that still looms over the world

at RP start, he has basically been around/active, re-experiencing life for just a few months, if that. I would say he could perform impressive displays of raw eldritch power: but it would mean little more then making himself 'shinier'. (rank 1 magic damage at melee range, maybe)

Anyways, onto teh mechanics: the changes look fine to me.
though I forgot to pout in Eldritch sight's Description: Zinerath can see, even feel, arcane energies around himself, however, these sense are deafened by his own energies; he is hard pressed too sense more then a general direction and relative strength of arcane energies; the range of his sense is dependent on how strong the energy is.
Moving on:p

His back ground will take a bit to make. But as for his personality, shockingly enough given his past, he is naive, inquisitive and curious (this is not too shocking in that he was motivated purely by expanding his knowledge: gathering immense power to do so was the means, not the ends), good natured, and so on.

Thondor

@Zerith sounds good. All those lose plot ideas I get to play with :cool::devil:

@fireinthedust I am in Toronto and would be happy to grab some coffee and chat game design some time.

@HarryBModest welcome aboard, and welcome to ENworld. "Seeing and manipulating" sounds intriguing, but its been awhile since I've seen someone design a Teleporter . . .

@Jemal would you like me to suggest some possible talents for you hero to get the ball rolling?

Jemal

Adventurer
Sorry, but with my other games I think I'm going to drop this one. I'm just not vibing right with the system. Good luck to you all and I wish you a great game.

Remove ads