New DM needs Control and Guidance Advice

Zappo

Explorer
Ok, first of all I'll go against the flow and suggest that you lower the intra-party conflict level. There's good intra-party conflict and bad intra-party conflict, and the note-passing, poison-preparing one is the bad one. I'd forbid note-passing as Mark suggested; that could be enough to get the point across.

While the backstabbing phase often just passes, and other times the players take it as just fun, I've seen a campaign die because of it; it's not a pretty sight.

The peeking behind the screen must be stopped immediately. Having the player sit at the opposite side of the table should be enough. ;)

As for the burning of the oasis, I don't necessarily see it as a symptom of bad roleplaying. The plant life was hostile, and the insects were dangerous, making the oasis itself useless to anyone: the party couldn't even reach the water. Burning it is a drastic solution, but not an insane one. Now the water can be actually accessed (depends on how contaminated it has become, though), and the plants will eventually grow back. If someone tended to them, they could be useful plants instead of poisonous monsters.

I don't suggest docking XP for "bad roleplaying" or anything else. Use awards for good roleplaying, that's enough.

Doc Ezra

First Post
New DM...

First off, I think if your experienced DM/player feels you're doing fine, then you might want to reconsider your self-critique. No doubt it feels that things are disastrous, but it may be that you're learning the first lesson every DM learns -- no plot survives contact with the players. And the first casualty of battle is the plan.

I know when players start running off on wild tangents, taking unexpected courses of action, etc., it can be a bit frustrating or discouraging. Don't let it be. At the end of the night, gauge your party's reactions and post-game chatter. Do they seem happy? Replaying events of the evening in excited tones? If so, you're doing fine. Don't sweat the small stuff.

As to some of the more specific complaints, they've been covered pretty well (hide your notes a bit better, or move that player away from you -- if you're seating arrangement doesn't keep the veteran DM right next to you, it should, for ease of question asking/assistance). Let your players scheme. Let them attempt to rob each other if they like (though spot checks to notice such activity might be appropriate, and might discourage such behavior).

As to burning down the oasis, it seems to me very in keeping with the character of a group of survivors in the desert. To wit: water is move valuable than gold. This source of water is infested with large dangerous insects and poisonous plants, making it completely inaccessible to the people of the desert. For their own survival, the people of the desert have to destroy the plants and the beetles, and the sooner the better. I'd be tempted to go the opposite direction than others have suggested, and have locals treat them as saviors for making another source of potable water accessible to the common folk. All a matter of perspective on this issue, I think. :)

Marius Delphus

Adventurer
Arravis said:
our Endless Desert campaign (our no-magic/no-psionics game that Patrick mentioned above)

No magic AND no psionics? That does tend to throw things off. Rogue levels make a heck of a lot of sense in this case (as opposed to "rouge" levels, which always make me think of Tammy Faye -- now there was someone with multiple levels of rouge). Have you considered an uprated Expert class for PC use instead?

Anyhow, back on topic, Doc Ezra makes a very good point. Whatever the PCs' adversaries think about the burnt-up foliage (and giant bugs) around the oasis, if the end result is actually an improvement over the pristine oasis, then the PCs ought to be able to pat themselves on the back for a job well done.

And another thing: players most appreciate "consequences" which the characters *should have seen coming.* In reading all the great contributions to this thread, it occurs to me to point this out. The corollary is that "consequences" which are completely un-foreshadowed are seldom appreciated. (Here I mean "appreciate" from a story point of view -- IME, players tend to take foreseeable consequences in stride whereas they tend to become grumpy over unforeseeable consequences.)

P.S. As it happens, I don't know anyone named Pablo. :)

Last edited:

Arravis

First Post
Well... no-magic is an exageration, barely. There is magic, but it's beyond rare. In the entiriy of the continent they are in, there are probably a dozen arcane casters and around the same number of divine caster. Magic has many perils, which they haven't encountered yet really... it's one of the reasons the area is a desert. And there are no psionics at all, metals are extremely rare as well. The party is 4th level now, and there's only one weapon in the party that doesn't have minuses (cause it's made out of bone, wood, bronze, etc). Most loot comes in the form of the animals that are killed. Their skin is used for armor, the meat for food, the bones for weapons, tendons for string, etc... it's a very harsh world (CR's have all been adjusted for it). The PC's started as NPC classes, mostly Expert classes and then moved on to "real" classes. I know it sounds harsh, but it's actually alot of fun :). It's very different from other campaigns I've been in.

ced1106

Explorer
Hi Patrick,

Looks like you're doing a fine job. You just need more GM experience, that's all. You're lucky you have such good players. Some ideas:

* Run a dungeon. The adventure you're running looks open-ended, especially with NPCs. Linear adventures are much easier to run, and that's why dungeons and monsters are more common than cities and NPCs.

* Get a GM screen. Wandering eyes often can't be helped. And at least Lulu (indirectly) told you she saw the NPC! :) (ps. Add 3 HD and +3 BAB to him right now!)

* Get some GM advice: Robin D. Law's "Robin's Laws for Good Gamemastering", John Fourr's RoleplayingTips.com and NPC Essentials, and Tim Reid's (wrote the Epic Level Handbook) Orcfest.

* Use the backgrounds for story ideas and plots, not as constrictions on PC behavior. Many players don't know how their PCs should act until several sessions of play.

* Stack-o-notes: When the players pass you notes **accumulate them**. Only read them when there's dead-time for you in the game (eg. when the players are planning things, or taking a break). Neatness and good handwriting count. Mind you, I got this suggestion from Paranoia, the RPG where everyone shoots each other for being Commie Mutant Traitors, lol.

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^

Airwolf

First Post
ced1106 said:
Hi Patrick,

Mind you, I got this suggestion from Paranoia, the RPG where everyone shoots each other for being Commie Mutant Traitors, lol.

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^

Ahh, Paranoia. The joy of seeing just how fast PCs will turn on each other. :D

Regards,
Airwolf

My suggestion to any new DM is that the sense that the party plays differently for you than other DMs is probably correct.

But it is also partly the result of seeing all those intimidating faces on the other side of the table.

As a DM and frequent player, I find that who you are as a DM is always a combination of you and the group and that you often don't have the fine control over it that you do as a player.

At first I was afraid, I was petrified, but I learned that I could get along without the player's at my side.

Honestly, when I am a player I find being a DM is all about control and then as a DM I see that a lot of it is about play.

So play with the players, pay attention to them, let them run into the consequences of their actions, and constantly try new tactics until you find what you like.

Actually sounds like the players are having a good time, and the note passing and oasis burning is, in a certain way, a sign of thier confidence in you as a DM. When players really don't trust and aren't intrigued by a DM they don't try new things in the game and they don't get sneaky.

They just don't do anything game related or keep trying to guide the DM through things.

Embrace your DMness!!! And use it to give the players horrible nasty wedgies!!! I mean dire threats of trouble for backstabbing!!!

Though I have to say the burned oasis sounds like fun. Send the players to the tribal version of therapy for troubled teenage adventurers. Otherwise known as exile, work for the shaman, and walking the gauntlet. Or just have the tribe misintrepet it as a sign of war by some other group and watch the guilt fly.

Remove ads