D&D 5E Thoughts on 6-7-13 Playtest Packet

zoroaster100

First Post
Is it just me or did the changes seem pretty minor from last packet to this one compared to release of the previous packet?

I like the changes I saw as to spells so far, though I'm not sure they went far enough. Attack cantrips were toned down by adding an attack roll to Ray of Frost and reducing damage scaling at higher levels. Polymorph seems to have been limited some.

I was really hoping they would fix the imbalance of excessively difficult spell DCs at higher levels which both monsters and player characters will have a very difficult time ever saving against under the current playtest rules, but that doesn't seem to be fixed.

The new death and dying rules look fine. They basically work more or less the same as before except they don't bother with tracking negative hp since you start counting from 0 anyway when you heal someone even under the prior rules.

Edit: Oops, I should have looked at the cantrips more closely, as apparently damage scaling wasn't toned down as I thought.

Last edited:

Szatany

First Post
About spells, I hope they have more changes in mind still. I dislike healing as conjuration, and too low levels for flying & co.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I dislike healing as conjuration

This is exactly why I wish they'd change the name of the school from Necromancy to Biomancy. You could then move all the healing spells back to that school like they should be... while avoiding the disconnect of the idea that necromancy is inherently evil. All healing, resurrection, and undead-based spells can be Biomancy.

Thus Necromancy becomes more of a descriptive identity of just using specific undead-focused spells regardless of what class you are, rather than being just a wizard tradition. A cleric can choose to call himself a necromancer, or a wizard can choose to call himself a necromancer. Just like how Pyromancy is the use of fire-based spells and which can be a descriptive identity that any spellcaster can take. Or how a Psion can be anyone who focuses on psychic spells regardless of class.

Nymrohd

First Post
What do the schools serve anyway as? Mechanics interact to descriptors, not to schools. Schools are only useful for arcane specialization anyway. Healing spells should be exactly that, spells with no school and the healing descriptor.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
Ranger gets immunity to fear at level 1. Paladin gets immunity to fear at level 4. Huh? So the iconic feature of the paladin comes 3 levels after a dragon hunter ranger gets the same feature?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases