PS4 vs XBox 1... I think Sony has won me over

sabrinathecat

Explorer
This is breaking from the original purpose of the thread a bit, but this is a severely misguided statement. 99% of the time, ratings determine the course of a show. Ratings when the show airs. By waiting, you are telling the executives in charge of programming that the shows you like don't matter. Meanwhile, the "impatient" ones who watch TV live are using their time to vote for the shows they like and ensure they stay on the air.

If every person who takes pride in not watching TV live and also bought Firefly on DVD had watched Firefly when it was live TV, we'd have at least a hundred more episodes. Its an unfortunate fact that waiting can, in fact, make things worse.

Just as misguided--sorry--by ignoring studio politics. Part of why FF was cancelled was that there were execs who didn't like the show or the way it was going. It also had its timeslot bounced around and was preempted or aired without consistency.
Star Trek TOS also had ratings, but that didn't stop studio execs from cancelling the show anyway.

The need to go out and get the latest shiney toy leads way too many people into unnecessary debt. It is endemic to the culture.
If, on the other hand, you can think of absolutely nothing else to do with the cash (no mortgage payment, student loans, left-over credit card debt, or kids to set up college funds for), then sure, if you feel like getting the toy, go ahead. I'm just tired of the perceived need for status symbols. Until Netflix started instant streaming, I was considering selling my PS3 and going without. Now I'm glad I didn't.
PS4? Not until my PS3 is totally ineffective.

Jhaelen

First Post
99% of the time, ratings determine the course of a show. Ratings when the show airs. By waiting, you are telling the executives in charge of programming that the shows you like don't matter.
Uh, not really. Well, I don't know how things work in the US, but here in Germany it's like this:
What, when or how your are viewing anything on TV has zero effect on ratings, unless you belong to one of the 'representative' households chosen for the 'panel group' that have been equipped with a box recording what they're viewing. And at least here in Germany, video-on-demand or any other kind of internet-based TV streaming is not represented in in ratings at all.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
My calculus is going a little like this at the moment:

First, I'd have to pay an extra $100 to have a system that plays the same games, only not when the internet is down, so it's a more limited system.

Second, each game I buy on the Xbox would give me diminishing returns: the $60 I spend on an Xbone game would give me less for my money than the $60 I would spend on the equivalent PS4 game, because I won't own the game, I'll just be licencing it.

So just from a pure value proposition, the PS4 wins.

I don't know of anything that the new Xbox is offering to compensate for their higher cost, and less value per game. Pretty much saying, "Just take it. IT IS THE FUTURE, YOU MUST."

But it's not the future. We get to decide what the future looks like. And the signs that we as a society might just reject draconian DRM and licensing in favor of convenience and ownership are very positive.

Screw the Xbone. I'ma get a PS4. And prolly a Steambox, but that's because Valve is the king.

Janx

Hero
I just recently acquired one of those all-in-one Atari 2600 consoles...

Oh yeah: Microsoft has been listening to the hubbub: http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/19/tech/gaming-gadgets/xbox-drm/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Well, that kind of kills the whole whining about the XbOne.

At this point, the primary negative point is that it costs $100 more. (Unless they're also worried about the NSA, but don't worry, just put a piece of electrical tape over the camera lens).

I wouldn't call it foresight, but I had a hunch there might be some backtracking from MS on this. It's the smart thing to do, as the more expensive product, they need to avoid any other negative disparities with the PS4 or they will make the same mistake Sony did with the PS3 (having the hubris to assume folks would pay more just to own an allegedly better product).

Janx

Hero
It's always about timing. Remember, MS has JUST dropped the things you cited, so you can't use them anymore in your math

My calculus is going a little like this at the moment:

First, I'd have to pay an extra $100 to have a system that plays the same games, [strike]only not when the internet is down, so it's a more limited system.[/strike]

[strike]Second, each game I buy on the Xbox would give me diminishing returns: the $60 I spend on an Xbone game would give me less for my money than the $60 I would spend on the equivalent PS4 game, because I won't own the game, I'll just be licencing it. [/strike]

...snip...
Screw the Xbone. I'ma get a PS4. And prolly a Steambox, but that's because Valve is the king.

You can still reach the same conclusion, but remember, certain prior arguments are now null.

Though I think the SteamBox would open up a 3rd contendor. Once you are actually playing a PC at your TV that behaves like a game console, that's a big deal. And it solves the marrriage of PC gaming to console ease of use that just plugging in your gaming PC into the big TV in the house doesn't for most people.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Just found out about the reversal after I posted that comment...hahaha....but now I'm comparing the Xbone to a gaming PC and not finding much of a reason to get the console, either...

Janx

Hero
Just found out about the reversal after I posted that comment...hahaha....but now I'm comparing the Xbone to a gaming PC and not finding much of a reason to get the console, either...

In some ways, I think we are all pre-disposed to what choice we will make, and then we rationalize it with statements. Actually, science proves that. So folks who have a long reason on why they want an XbOne will not be swayed, because it's not the reasons that make them choose thusly.

Also, I am giddy that the internet has adopted my nickname of "xbone" for the X-Box One. I doubt I'm the only one who thought of it and started it, but I can assert that I independently came up with it and am seeing folks here and in other places use it.

In a small way, I have manipulated the internet. i win.

Jhaelen

First Post
In some ways, I think we are all pre-disposed to what choice we will make, and then we rationalize it with statements. Actually, science proves that.
*groan* Didn't we already have that discussion? Our brain coming to a decision a couple of millisseconds before we become aware of it vs. the absence of free will?

Sorry about posting this, but, honestly, I had no choice!!! :p

Remove ads