When players matter / don't matter

Li Shenron

Legend
In what areas of the game, and under what rules edition/system, have you found that your decisions as a player really matter, and where do they not matter enough?

I am not trying here to discuss how much players should affect the story versus railroading, but rather to discuss how much players can affect the outcome of a challenge with their own decisions, as opposed to rolling dice. I think this depends on both DM's style of running a game, and the rules system being used.

I'll divide my own observations into the 3 traditional pillars of the game...

Pillar #3: Combat

To make an example, I absolutely dislike solo combat in World of Warcraft. I have played WoW once in a while, but since I only have the free version, I can only play up to level 20, so forgive me if I am unaware that it gets much better later! Anyway, I find that combat in WoW is incredibly flat. All I have to do is a minimal effort at figuring out what is the most efficient sequence of my special abilities for killing a monster as fast as possible, then I can just go into any combat using always the safest possible tactic, i.e. pick one monster at a time, heal yourself, repeat. I never have to make any choices, except occasionally running away (typically when you didn't notice that more monsters were nearby). Different characters employ difference sequences, but the same character has one best and better stick at that. Monsters are practically all the same.

Instead, combat in D&D is very rewarding IMO, because even if you have a preferred combo of spells, there is always (a) a monster which is immune to your best weapon or more vulnerable to something else, (b) a different combination of enemies (solo, small group of equals, boss + minions etc), (c) terrain/weather features that esp. influence movement or can be exploited by the combatants, (d) spells and powers that do something different than damage. Add the fact that you are not alone, and so what your allies choose to do has ripercussions on your own tactics, and I definitely get the feeling that my decisions in combat matter a lot in D&D!

Pillar #2: Exploration

Here things get a little muddy, but only slightly...

In general, exploration gives plenty of opportunities for decisions. It's your fault if you choose to enter the room full of giant spider webs without precautions or pull the level with the "pull me!" sign on it.

OTOH, when you get to the action resolution, it's up to the dice. Sometimes you check for traps in the right place but fail. This is more or less the same as choosing the right action in combat but failing the attack roll or missing with your spell, but the big difference is that combat is a a sequence of decisions, so that it still leaves a better feeling of being in charge of your own destiny compared to searching for traps, jumping over a chasm or unlocking a door mechanism.

Maybe it would help the feeling, if we see the whole exploration of a dungeon as equal to a combat. Maybe it's just my fault of seeing each challenge individually... in any case I sometimes feel like I'm not really "in charge" of the outcome.

Pillar #1: Interaction

Here is where the problem manifests fully...

There are gaming groups which utterly hate having rules for interaction, and perhaps the most common reason may be that they feel rolling dice tend to "neutralize" their decisions. When the rule is blunt such as just rolling a Cha check to see if you bluff the guard, you can't really argue with that. 3e only suggested circumstance bonuses if you had a good idea, 5e may suggest advantage, but it doesn't really change the thing much, only the probabilities.

Some forumists have suggested in the past, that we might need to try seeing all 3 pillars in the same way we see combat i.e. as a sequence of "rounds", each of which calls for a decision that matters, but how to design such thing properly?

In a way, the Exploration rules in the playtest are doing something like that, with a rule for splitting time in rounds and each PC gets to choose an action. It however treats those large rounds as a blunt approximation, so I am not sure how well it works (haven't tried those rules in practice).

Would it be better to go the other route, i.e. taking what is traditionally a single exploration/interaction challenge and break it up into smaller parts?

4e skill challenged did the breaking into multiple checks but IIRC the checks are quite the same... can you make decisions or change something between steps of the skill challenge? Or is quitting the only option?

Furthermore, this approach has a special problem: in combat, everybody is pretty much playing, but in a skill challenge you are most of the time alone, thus stretching the spotlight here might help you get the feeling you're in charge of the outcome, but might bore the idle players.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Doug McCrae

Legend
In the old Fighting Fantasy gamebooks there was a pretty stark disparity between combat, which was almost entirely a dice rolling exercise, and the 'If you insult the old wizard turn to page 254' parts. In the latter, player decision making was of supreme importance.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Li Shernon said:
I definitely get the feeling that my decisions in combat matter a lot in D&D

I only feel like this is true in situations where I actually risk character failure, though. Because otherwise, the decision is pre-written. Your typical RAW 4e combat has an expected outcome, and you will likely fit into that outcome, it's just a matter of time.

Move, shift, teleport, push, bonus, advantage, whatever, the outcome is the same: I probably win. I've got more than enough padding to not risk a sudden change in equilibrium. Whatever choices I make, I'm going to come out of this OK, typically.

Li Shernon said:
I sometimes feel like I'm not really "in charge" of the outcome.

I'm not convinced that being in charge of the outcome is something that is necessarily a good thing. It wrecks anticipation, for one.

Li Shernon said:
There are gaming groups which utterly hate having rules for interaction, and perhaps the most common reason may be that they feel rolling dice tend to "neutralize" their decisions. When the rule is blunt such as just rolling a Cha check to see if you bluff the guard, you can't really argue with that.

Sure ya can. ;) You made a decision at character creation to have a certain CHA modifier or a certain WIS modifier or to train or not train certain skills, and that decision is the decision that comes into play when you roll to see if you convince the NPC.

Li Shernon said:
how much players can affect the outcome of a challenge with their own decisions, as opposed to rolling dice

Listen, Amber Diceless is a good game. But rolling dice is actually, legitimately, fun times. Character choice shouldn't be the sole determination of party success, because gameplay needs to be more than just a series of check-boxes. D&D Gameplay isn't like a trivia contest or a crossword puzzle where you just need to be Right to win. The chaos and the unpredictability and the swinginess and the neutrality and the unexpected twist are all very positive things that dice add.

I don't think I would like a game where "Does my character succeed or not?" has an answer that can be predicted based on her choices. There needs to be chaos, or else there's no wondering what happens next, and all I'm there to do is to check the right boxes for the DM to let me through.

Li Shenron

Legend
I only feel like this is true in situations where I actually risk character failure, though. Because otherwise, the decision is pre-written. Your typical RAW 4e combat has an expected outcome, and you will likely fit into that outcome, it's just a matter of time.

Move, shift, teleport, push, bonus, advantage, whatever, the outcome is the same: I probably win. I've got more than enough padding to not risk a sudden change in equilibrium. Whatever choices I make, I'm going to come out of this OK, typically.

It is very possible that some players "learn" that the PCs are supposed to win, therefore they will... and that certainly doesn't make it a good game for my own tastes. If 4e works like that, I'm sorry to hear that.

That's however not usually what happened in my own XP with RPG... in every campaign I've played there were PC deaths. Now how many of those deaths were really because of player's bad tactical choices and how many were just matter of bad luck, I really cannot say.

Anyway, I have been actively trying to avoid giving my players the feeling that they are supposed to win. But I want to point out that even if I run a game where PC cannot die, I try my best to make sure that this doesn't mean they cannot lose. Just to clarify: dying can be substituted with another negative occurrence, if the group wants to play a campaign where their are guaranteed their PC will last long enough (typically because the players are interested in heavily developing their PC's stories, personalities, tactics etc.) Still, handwaving death doesn't mean they always "win", they can very much "lose" a quest even if I allow them to leave.

BTW, that was just an example, I am not a bigger fan of this campaign style than I am of old-school high lethality style.

I'm not convinced that being in charge of the outcome is something that is necessarily a good thing.

Probably it was my bad choice of words... I didn't mean "being in charge" as "being confident on the outcome". I just meant it as opposed to have nearly no decision to make once the combat or challenge is started.

Sure ya can. ;) You made a decision at character creation to have a certain CHA modifier or a certain WIS modifier or to train or not train certain skills, and that decision is the decision that comes into play when you roll to see if you convince the NPC.

True, but I was focusing on what happens during the action here, thus on tactics rather than strategies.

Character choice shouldn't be the sole determination of party success, because gameplay needs to be more than just a series of check-boxes.

Of course... I also still want to use the dice!! I wouldn't want D&D to be completely deterministic. But that is not a problem with D&D because it always had lots of dice, except in the interaction phase.

LostSoul

Adventurer
Some thoughts:

1. I think D&D combat works best if the consequences stick around and impact other choices. Some game elements (Wands of Cure Light Wounds/Lesser Restoration in 3E, Extended Rests in 4E) ruin this. Sometimes the consequences of each combat end with the combat.

2. I think most exploration tasks are part of a larger whole - they're already broken down. I look at the dungeon or adventure (or, perhaps more accurately, the reason for being down there) as the thing that needs to be resolved, and all the decisions made along the way (which door to take, search the room, pull the lever) add up to finally resolve it.

Living dungeons can ensure that victory is not guaranteed - dungeons where the inhabitants react to the PCs by taking away the goal (packing up with the loot, killing the prisoners, etc.).

That said, I think that some specific rooms should have multiple decision points. I think about these as Death-Trap Rooms. If the room has a trap that is going to kill you (or some other negative effect, like level drain, losing GP/magic items, or stat reduction), I think there should be a few more decisions made before you get to that point. Working these decision points into other rooms in the dungeon is a neat trick.

3. With interactions, I like to use dice rolls, but I use a little trick: if the PCs do or say something that makes me wonder how the NPC is going to react, then I ask for a roll to resolve that internal conflict. I like using skill challenges this way because they provide a nice structure - they tell you when it's finished, and (combined with reaction rolls) how many steps you need to take to get there. So there are lots of decisions to be made there.

N'raac

First Post
In what areas of the game, and under what rules edition/system, have you found that your decisions as a player really matter, and where do they not matter enough?

Pillar #3: Combat

To make an example, I absolutely dislike solo combat in World of Warcraft. I have played WoW once in a while, but since I only have the free version, I can only play up to level 20, so forgive me if I am unaware that it gets much better later! Anyway, I find that combat in WoW is incredibly flat. All I have to do is a minimal effort at figuring out what is the most efficient sequence of my special abilities for killing a monster as fast as possible, then I can just go into any combat using always the safest possible tactic, i.e. pick one monster at a time, heal yourself, repeat. I never have to make any choices, except occasionally running away (typically when you didn't notice that more monsters were nearby). Different characters employ difference sequences, but the same character has one best and better stick at that. Monsters are practically all the same.

Instead, combat in D&D is very rewarding IMO, because even if you have a preferred combo of spells, there is always (a) a monster which is immune to your best weapon or more vulnerable to something else, (b) a different combination of enemies (solo, small group of equals, boss + minions etc), (c) terrain/weather features that esp. influence movement or can be exploited by the combatants, (d) spells and powers that do something different than damage. Add the fact that you are not alone, and so what your allies choose to do has ripercussions on your own tactics, and I definitely get the feeling that my decisions in combat matter a lot in D&D!

It seems like your decisions in WoW matter - either you decide to use the most effective sequence of attacks or you decide not to. Whether you KO the monster before it KOs you, and how quickly, is determined by which sequence you choose. The difference seems to be the variety of potentially optimal or sub-optimal choices. As well, if you will likely win the combat regardless of your decision, and can quickly heal back up to full after, the consequences of your decisions was pretty limited.

Pillar #2: Exploration

Here things get a little muddy, but only slightly...

In general, exploration gives plenty of opportunities for decisions. It's your fault if you choose to enter the room full of giant spider webs without precautions or pull the level with the "pull me!" sign on it.

OTOH, when you get to the action resolution, it's up to the dice. Sometimes you check for traps in the right place but fail. This is more or less the same as choosing the right action in combat but failing the attack roll or missing with your spell, but the big difference is that combat is a a sequence of decisions, so that it still leaves a better feeling of being in charge of your own destiny compared to searching for traps, jumping over a chasm or unlocking a door mechanism.
other
Maybe it would help the feeling, if we see the whole exploration of a dungeon as equal to a combat. Maybe it's just my fault of seeing each challenge individually... in any case I sometimes feel like I'm not really "in charge" of the outcome.

It seems like you want to have a series of micro-actions to feel that your decisions matter. You choose which direction to go, whether to listen at the door, whether to check for traps, whether to attempt to disarm any trap you find, and whether to open the door having undertaken whichever of these steps you chose to take. Your party chooses whether to let the rogue disarm this trap or use a Find Traps spell, or use a spell that might augment the Rogue's abilities , such as Guidance or a stat buffer. You chose what equipment to purchase and use as well. Since you dedicates your wealth to a magical weapon, you didn't have the cash for Masterwork thieves' tools, so if you missed by 1 on your Disable Device (or failed by just enough to set the trap off), that decision has a substantial impact on the outcome.

Pillar #1: Interaction

Here is where the problem manifests fully...

There are gaming groups which utterly hate having rules for interaction, and perhaps the most common reason may be that they feel rolling dice tend to "neutralize" their decisions. When the rule is blunt such as just rolling a Cha check to see if you bluff the guard, you can't really argue with that. 3e only suggested circumstance bonuses if you had a good idea, 5e may suggest advantage, but it doesn't really change the thing much, only the probabilities.

You chose whether to Bluff the guard, use Diplomacy, or try to Intimidate him. How is that different from choosing between options in combat?

Some forumists have suggested in the past, that we might need to try seeing all 3 pillars in the same way we see combat i.e. as a sequence of "rounds", each of which calls for a decision that matters, but how to design such thing properly?

In a way, the Exploration rules in the playtest are doing something like that, with a rule for splitting time in rounds and each PC gets to choose an action. It however treats those large rounds as a blunt approximation, so I am not sure how well it works (haven't tried those rules in practice).

Would it be better to go the other route, i.e. taking what is traditionally a single exploration/interaction challenge and break it up into smaller parts?

I've seen games that use multiple opposed skill checks, and/or opposed social combat. Combat has stakes going both ways. Maybe interaction needs to. That is, if you fail to Bluff the guard, perhaps that gives him the time to Intimidate you into going back to the Inn, rather than continuing to try to get past him.

Ultimately, you also make character design choices which impact how skilled you are in the "three pillars" and in sub-areas of each.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases