D&D 3E/3.5 Help with Fighter- DND 3.5 -

N'raac

First Post
There's a successor feat to combat expertise that removes the 5 point cap. Given a trip can be initiated with a touch attack, you can afford to lose some attack bonuses, right? You have +7 from STR, magic and weapon focus. With +5 to AC, you still have +10 to hit with that one attack taken with a Spring Attack.

Wiseblood

Adventurer
I don't think you can make your Fighter do what you want in that campaign. If you were a wizard or CoDzilla you might be able to impose your will. When you're getting beat up you will have to adapt to the campaign. Fighters that want to use feats like yours end up having to gamble a lot to position themselves and make the big plays. This is what gets rogues killed. Being a Fighter just means you will survive longer.

The basic CR system tries to assume you've got some good magic items for your level and such. Which means that in a low wealth game, the DM has to compensate by lowering the CR on monsters a bit so you can actually do something decent. I have a feeling your current DM likely hasn't adjusted things properly for that. For AC to actually be a decent defense it typically needs to be at least 20 + Character Level, which it doesn't seem like you'll be getting to any time soon.

What books/other sources are available to you?

The feat N'raac mentioned is Improved Combat Expertise. It might help you out on the AC front.

Don't try to rely too much on crits unless you know the kinds of monsters you'll go against aren't immune to them. As you level up, you'll tend to come across more monsters that are immune to crits and you likely won't have access to the items needed to let you crit against them (there are weapon augment crystals in the Magic Item Compendium that'll let you crit against undead and constructs, but they cost 10,000g and 6,000, respectively.)

I expect you've got an inkling to go for more damage and accuracy on your scythe, so make sure you take the Melee Weapon Mastery feat before you even think about Greater Weapon Focus or Greater Weapon Specialization.

Also note the Bounding Assault feat.

I have a very strong feeling your DM won't allow it, but if your DM miraculously does allow Tome of Battle, a level of Crusader will get you the Thicket of Blades stance, and you'll probably want Combat Reflexes with it to get more AoOs. Yes, it's a 3rd level stance, but you qualify for it due to already having several levels.

If you can retrain feats via the PHB2 rules (page 191), I'd probably recommend switching Improved Critical for Combat Reflexes. You have at most a 10% chance to crit with Improved Crit, and since you're almost certainly not the primary damage dealer trying to go for crits won't really work for you. Though it sadly doesn't work too well for many in the first place.

Last edited:

Stormonu

Legend
Having Spring Attack and Whirlwind Attack seems at odds with one another - if you're focusing on movement and avoiding the enemy, if you're doing things right you won't have an opportunity to use Whirlwind. It's also been my experience that Whirlwind is a trap feat - spreading small bits of damage around instead of concentrating it on one deadly blow while your enemies get flanking bonuses against you. As long as enemies have at least 1 hit point, they still do full damage. A dead opponent doesn't strike back.

Empirate

First Post
I have two comments on your situation:

1. Why aren't your party's casters doing their job? Every fight with even a little bit of forewarning should see you enspelled with Haste (always the primary melee buff), Enlarge Person (for large threat radius and tripping hostiles) and Protection from Evil (so you don't get charmed) at the least.

But there are tons of buff spells out there that would help your survivability. Your group's casters ought to make sure you are buffed up the wazoo everytime they have the chance to make it so: Barkskin, Shield of Faith, Magic Vestment, Displacement, Resist Energy, Bull's Strength, even Stoneskin if the going gets tough. If you fall, their squishy little butts are in the fire. Also, you're probably your group's primary damage machine. Make this clear to caster players.

Also, why is the opposition not blinded, stuck in a web/solid fog/briar web, held, fleeing in panic, or otherwise out of the fight after the casters have had a couple turns? Now that would really help you survive! Somebody ought to cast less Magic Missile/Fireball and more actually useful stuff!

2. Why do you complain? Being hit is the Fighter's job, besides hitting the other guys that is. You probably have a decent HP total - I make it an average of 83.5, that should allow you to soak some hits. So come on, who is going to eat a Hill Giant's full attack and not die, you or the scrawny Sorcerer who's hiding behind your back? Bear your injuries like a badge of honor and don't come crying to me when some monster knocked you around a little. It's not as if you can't take it.

Sure, people better not make snide comments about the Fighter who heroically plants his face in the mud in round two every fight - you're saving their precious skins by doing that, after all. But don't expect to come out without a scratch, either. You're not Mr. "I'm invisible and flying and have mirror images and am totally effete and uselessly arrogant about it". You're Mr. "Show me what you've got. Bring it. No, seriously. Hit me. I dare you." And you should be proud of that!

DanGwancie

First Post
Thanks all of you. All of your comments and advice, gave a new look into my character. and how i should be using all of his particularities and feats correctly.

Now my party: It's Me, a Favored Soul who wants to summon monsters as well. (he's been a help so far but could be better), a Beguiler that has been one of the main assets in terms of utility, 2 rangers: 1 with bow spec..and one with two weapon fighting (short sword)and a npc or two that may fill a gap at times.

"Empirate", You are right when saying that i should bear my scars as badges of honor and hardwork. Yes, my character actually loves combat, and being immersed in it. the problem about all this is our DM that may not be weighing stuff around too well. the whirlwind has been working very fine so far. when surrounded, it's a master killer. At my turn i get them a bit peeled off , so the rest can end them along with me.

Now, as far as Buffs are concerned.. we really need a good support. our Favored Soul / Summon Monsters wannabe does what he can, but he's lost some levels that would make a GREAT Favored Soul. If i die, maibe i should roll a Cleric+Dwarven Defender

Only more recently, after some new implementations our DM made regarding a cult to Cthulhu, the balance was shifted. Before, hard battles, were hard, but challenging and not near impossible. we felt good about being beat up. because it was nicely weighed. Now, all it seems is that he's tired of this campaign, ( just like it happened with many others in the past..)

Now: I do have acess to all books, other than core. he has 'em all. let's see what i can do to better use the feats i chose so far. Thanks!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases