[paizo] [dungeon] status: conversions of 1e Dungeon adventures?

grodog

Hero
Erik, Lisa, Johnny, or other Paizo People:

Over in a thread on favorite Dungeon adventures at http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/newreply.php?s=&action=newreply&threadid=33708 we collectively recalled a letter response from Dungeon 87 that said:

As mentioned in last issues "Letters" column, we intend to update old Dungeon Magazine classics (making them compatible with the new D&D rules) and present them as downloads on our website.

Overlapping deadlines and an Overworked staff have thwarted us so far, but we are pushing forward with this project. We are also reading your letters and emails and compiling a list of your favorite modules from past issues. Thanks for your letters and your patience!

What is the chance that these old conversions will begin to appear in the New Year?

Thanks for your response, and thank you also for all of your hard work on Dragon, Polyhedron, Dungeon, Living Greyhawk Journal, Star Wars Insider!

Last edited:

Voobaha

First Post
I seem to recall a very old thread (back when the Dragon Magazine CD Rom archive was released) that said it would be very hard to release collections of old Dungeon Adventures.

The problem was that TSR shared the rights to the stories with the respective authors. Releasing a compilation CD (or anything in book format) required tracking down and paying these authors, many of whom had moved, not kept in touch, etc etc.

I don't know what Paizo owns with regards to the rights to the old Dungeon Adventures. I always thought BEST OF annuals would have been a good idea--even every other year.

Just my 2 cents worth...

grodog

Hero
Voohaha---

While I would dearly love to purchase CD collections of Dungeon, Polyhedron, Different Worlds, and early White Dwarf issues, I was actually asking about the publication of 3e conversions of the existing 1e/2e adventures :D

Voobaha

First Post
Ah, the therein the problem lies. Paizo might still have to get the permission of the 2e authors to convert the old adventures to 3e and republish them.

Even though the adventures use the old ruleset, the ideas behind them might still be the intellectual property of their respective authors.

Which stinks, 'cause I want to buy 'em too.

JeffB

Legend
You should post this over in D20 publishers..that's where Erik Mona and company frequent the most 'round here.

WillieW

First Post
Copyrights

When I contributed to DUNGEON writers signed a contract which sold all rights to [then] TSR. One payment, as many publications as the company wanted to make. For example, a module called "The Cauldron of Plenty" written by me appeared in an issue of DUNGEON, and later as a magical item in a book of goodies. I was paid for the magazine appearance and was not for the supplement. I wasn't expecting payment either.

Maybe artists and artwork was/is handled differently.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
As the official Ravenloft Web site, Wizards of the Coast kindly granted us permission to republish and distribute free any Ravenloft or Masque of the Red Death DUNGEON adventures on the Secrets of the Kargatane site on the condition that we get the author's permission to do so first. So far, all of the authors that we were able to contact have been extremely generous in granting us permission, for which we are truly grateful.

The old DUNGEON adventures that we are distributing have not been converted to 3e, however.

Secrets of the Kargatane Website

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases