I Just Got Back From Riddick, Here's Some Random Thoughts

Nytmare

David Jose
I found it to be:

Not as good as the first.

Much better than the second. (though to be fair I absolutely hated the second movie)

Nowhere near as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Trying very hard to recapture some of the better bits and pieces of the previous two movies instead of spending energy trying to stand on its own two feet.

Oddly reminiscent of what I would imagine a fan made movie made up from footage of Pitch Black, Flash Gordon, Enemy Mine, and Dune would look like.

Wild Gazebo

Explorer
From just watching the trailer, I assumed this is the movie they wanted to make when they made pitch black but couldn't. Not sure if that is relevant...or even remotely true...just an impression I had.

Nytmare

David Jose
From just watching the trailer, I assumed this is the movie they wanted to make when they made pitch black but couldn't. Not sure if that is relevant...or even remotely true...just an impression I had.

It actually felt more to me like a "true" sequel to Pitch Black, but with an extra scene thrown in because Necromongers.

And it wasn't so much Pitch Black with more money or effects, it was more the stereotypical, "Let's try telling this story again, but with a different monster this time" kind of thing.

pindercarl

First Post
I was wondering if they were going to "skip over" the second movie and return to the Riddick of Pitch Black. It sounds like they very much did so.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I liked it, even with the dog trick (it works). This is Conan or Kane story in space, nothing more. Yes, the second could have been better but it was a big budget PG-13, this one goes back to the roots of Pitch Black, low budget R rated and that turns into a good thing.

I dunno why people didn't like the second one. It had such a wonderful, strange setting and was visually fascinating. It didn't fit to Pitch Black, of course. It is one of my favorite movies, even though I would never claim it's a great movie, there are just some aspects I love about it.

I am currently replaying Escape from Butcher's Bay. I suppose that fits again more to the Pitch Black world, even though it's also very different in theme and setting.

Anyway, I suspect I'll watch the new one, too.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
It is not that I did not dislike the 2nd movie, I liked it, I would have like to see more of the Necromancers...a great name for a race but just hints of what they were about.

pindercarl

First Post
I liked it, even with the dog trick (it works). This is Conan or Kane story in space, nothing more. Yes, the second could have been better but it was a big budget PG-13, this one goes back to the roots of Pitch Black, low budget R rated and that turns into a good thing.

You say it's Conan in space like that's a bad thing :) John Carter might have done better if they had tried to be Conan in space.

Remove ads