McDonald's, not for classy people

Bullgrit

Adventurer
I doubt the restaurant kicked them out for bringing utensils, and I doubt the boys were just trying to class-up the joint, (even as a joke). Could have been a funny and harmless prank if they hadn't taken it to another social level.

Bullgrit

P.S. It would be nice if people starting new threads would have something in their OP more than just a link.

PigKnight

First Post
P.S. It would be nice if people starting new threads would have something in their OP more than just a link.
It might be an OTTer culture thing, but when we post something with only a link or a clever line we are posting with the intent that smeone would read the article fully before posting and it would start a conversation with minimal prompting that can go on a tangent and develop in a naturalistic style. This started a few years ago when we would share a story and actually have paragraph responses that would end up leading the discusion on a biased path and people would neglect to read the article and just go off the original post. Sorry if our cultural norms seem weird and I apologize for any miscommunication between OTTers and EnWorlders (what do you call yourselves?).

Bullgrit

Adventurer
PigKnight said:
we are posting with the intent that smeone would read the article fully before posting and it would start a conversation with minimal prompting that can go on a tangent and develop in a naturalistic style. This started a few years ago when we would share a story and actually have paragraph responses that would end up leading the discusion on a biased path and people would neglect to read the article and just go off the original post.
I can understand that. And so far, of the links I've clicked through and read, the articles are pretty short, so no problem (yet). So long as the subject line and the link text give me some idea of what the article/discussion is about, I can live with this. But I do tend to mouse-over the thread title from the main forum page to get an idea of what the thread is to be about before deciding whether to click in and read.

I apologize for any miscommunication between OTTers and EnWorlders (what do you call yourselves?).
For me, I call myself "Bullgrit" :) Nice to meet y'all.

Bullgrit

PigKnight

First Post
I can understand that. And so far, of the links I've clicked through and read, the articles are pretty short, so no problem (yet). So long as the subject line and the link text give me some idea of what the article/discussion is about, I can live with this. But I do tend to mouse-over the thread title from the main forum page to get an idea of what the thread is to be about before deciding whether to click in and read.

Bullgrit
What's life without surprise? If we link a long article I'm sure we can post a tl;dr.

On topic: bringing utensils from home is a thing, but I feel like the manager or someone thought "This might be distracting" or "Someone can get hurt" (I think I see candles in the picture) and thought it'd be helpful to remove them but the other customers took it the wrong way. I'm going in with the opinion that no one is prejudice against anyone in this case. At least in 'Murica if anything goes wrong in a store it's the store's fault so it would be in the store's best interest to keep things from going wrong.

Janx

Hero
It might be an OTTer culture thing, but when we post something with only a link or a clever line we are posting with the intent that smeone would read the article fully before posting and it would start a conversation with minimal prompting that can go on a tangent and develop in a naturalistic style. This started a few years ago when we would share a story and actually have paragraph responses that would end up leading the discusion on a biased path and people would neglect to read the article and just go off the original post. Sorry if our cultural norms seem weird and I apologize for any miscommunication between OTTers and EnWorlders (what do you call yourselves?).

That explains it then. new folks from a different forum with different behaviors.

Personally, I don't click links in a thread without any kind of text about it. Seems to be asking to be rickrolled, NSFW or worse.

Your reasoning makes sense, but it raises my don't trust a post with just a link sense.

Around here, folks usually at least put in a preamble of "this link is about XYZ, what do y'all think?" where XYZ has enough words in it for me to decide if I'm interested in learning more.

PigKnight

First Post
That explains it then. new folks from a different forum with different behaviors.

Personally, I don't click links in a thread without any kind of text about it. Seems to be asking to be rickrolled, NSFW or worse.

Your reasoning makes sense, but it raises my don't trust a post with just a link sense.

Around here, folks usually at least put in a preamble of "this link is about XYZ, what do y'all think?" where XYZ has enough words in it for me to decide if I'm interested in learning more.
In the WotC main forum a rickroll or shock would get the thread poofed and everyone would shun you and in the OTT group a rickroll or a shock would get instant poofed by a group mod and everyone would shun you.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel

It should be a problem. I'm rather creative.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I doubt the restaurant kicked them out for bringing utensils, and I doubt the boys were just trying to class-up the joint, (even as a joke). Could have been a funny and harmless prank if they hadn't taken it to another social level.

Bullgrit

What social level?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases