Martial Practices inferior to Rituals????

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Long-Distance Runner
You can run without stopping, pushing past your physical limits without risk of harm.

1 - Skill Challenges - This has been used one time in a single-player Skill Challenge when the horse died during egress. The player had enough of a lead in order to deploy this and make use of it for the rest of the SC duration. Its thematically nifty but extremely marginal in its usefulness. Mostly color.

2 - Mundane Task Resolution - NA.

3 - Re-framing or Transitioning Scenes - Not a game-changer in any real fashion. This is very akin to classic Monk abilities in pre 4e. Thematically robust but mechanically deficient and in no-way serves as a force-multiplier for the team goal/success.

Arguably a very famous and as you say Thematically great thing

Gilgamesh featured the ability and it seems so did Aragorn, Legalos and Glimli (learned during the trek) at one point. My thought on fixing it is drop the cost through the floor. And deal with the fact that every heroic fighter can run for days without resting.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I might make this a bit higher level...

Ultimately Prepared.png

Arguably a very famous and as you say Thematically great thing

Gilgamesh featured the ability and it seems so did Aragorn, Legalos and Glimli (learned during the trek) at one point. My thought on fixing it is drop the cost through the floor. And deal with the fact that every heroic fighter can run for days without resting.

I think it should be HUGE in SCs of the proper sort. That does only cover a niche, but OTOH I don't feel like practices (or rituals) NEED to be 'general purpose', because you can know limitless numbers of each. Its not like feats or powers where its taking up a slot so it better be able to work for you pretty much every encounter.

I don't know really what "mundane task resolution" means, but that's just me....

As for transitions... well, again there's no need for checks in these really, so it could be an 'enabler' as [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION] says, basically a narrative justification for "I got to the place in plenty of time" or "before the bad guys", something like that.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Yes, its the 'batman' clause practice. Actually I always thought this one was misplaced as a practice and should be a feat. Its not something you DO, its something you ARE, and it simply operates on an almost continuous basis. Definitely a feat and not a practice.
You still have to pull the rabbit out of the hat and sinch it together properly, which is sort of doing it. I made the time from a few moments to an hour at dms discretion ....

Note there is a bloody stupid practice which lets you construct mundane items with 1 hour and ingredients unless the dm decides longer or shorter sigh

Oh and even with batman flavor it isnt a huge benefit in most D&D land and not generally worth a feat.

At its core It is mechanically like Master Artisan but significantly faster, enough so to actually be worth something.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I will grant its kind of a character and personality defining ability though

But mayhaps being able to creat any magic item or and similar rituals are also huge impact in flavor zone.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
OK not sure why this is even level 3 and takes 10 minutes to do but...

rename the puppy Voice of Thunder (revving up ones body concentrating on the diaphragm and muscles associated with speech, spend a healing surge and you have a martial practice ... they usually used it to announce arrival, a politeness among high ranking "barbarians" and could be heard clear across the valley, 100 squares is that far enough) or do we emulate that cantrip that sends out a single message for miles and remove the healing surge ;) because ahem essentials didnt just rev up the mage indiscriminately

attachment.php

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Using that long distance runner for even 2 hours would give you 25 miles of travel for a move 5 character 30 for a 6 and 35 for 7 .... and honestly you end up significantly better over land speeds than horses.

Pushing horses in realistic ways as hard as a human might push themselves will kill the horse (we are actually much more tough than we give ourself credit)

Someone able to Run for 24 hours would have 15 times their normal overland travel distance (ok that is not taking a 6/8 hour rest) assuming you do rest call it 10 times your normal overland in emergency you jump off your mount and hoof it yourself.

Unless you have a heroic mount you can empower in some fashion.

Glimli walking is 2.5 mph running call it 12.5 mph (sprinting could be faster jogging less but that is not the description) sustaining that for a full 24 hours ahem that would be insane but going 300 miles in a day pre-automobile that is epic. And even the much more likely 8 hours you are talking 100 miles.

We must save the hobbits.

OK my computations may be using more real world numbers than in game. BUT The descriptions of Gilgameshes ability are that extreme he was epic.

Last edited:

Remove ads