How do you use a butter knife?

Which side of the knife do you use to spread on bread?

• Curved side (blade) against the bread

Votes: 30 93.8%
  • Flat side (back) against the bread

Votes: 2 6.3%

Bullgrit

Adventurer
When you use a butter knife to apply something, (butter, nutella, jelly, etc.), to a slice of bread, which side of the knife do you use?

Bullgrit

Last edited:

Bullgrit

Adventurer
I use the curved/bladed side of the knife to spread, but I just saw a short video where a person used the flat side to spread peanut butter. It wasn't an instructional video in any way, but it did make me think, Hmm, the flat side matches the flat surface of the bread.

Bullgrit

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I use the curved/bladed side of the knife to spread, but I just saw a short video where a person used the flat side to spread peanut butter. It wasn't an instructional video in any way, but it did make me think, Hmm, the flat side matches the flat surface of the bread.

Bullgrit

I dig into the peanut butter or Nutella with the curved side of the knife, that's where the bulk of the material is when I put it to the bread, and so that's the size I use to spread. Doing anything else strikes me as someone overthinking their technique.

Nellisir

Hero

Bullgrit
The spreadable material typically isn't evenly distributed on the knife, and it is easier to manipulate the curved side into a smaller or larger spreading surface than the flat side, which typically utilizes either the entire length of the knife or just the tip.

Also, overthinking.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
The type of butter knife some people call a "butter knife" or the angled knife that really IS a butter knife and almost impossible for a lefty to use properly?

....stupid right-handed butter knives.

Remove ads