What drink should I try?

Enforcer

Explorer
Beefeater is my go-to martini gin, but I rarely drink martinis. A martini is made with gin; with vodka what's the point? Especially if you're one of those "no vermouth" martini people. Vodka is by definition an odorless, flavorless spirit and I don't get watering it down and adding nothing for flavor. Ahem. I do use Beefeater more often in negronis, corpse revivers, or other more complicated cocktails. I prefer Tanqueray with tonic. As for scotch, my all-time fave is Highland Park 18, which inexplicably costs $20 more for a bottle in Chicago than it did in the SF Bay Area (actually not inexplicable, state alcohol laws are messed up and can add a lot of unnecessary price for the consumer). It is important to note the difference between blended scotch and single malts though: Johnnie Walker and Famous Grouse are blended, Glenmorangie, Glenlivet, and Highland Park are single malts. Also, they spell it "whisky" without the "e" in Scotland.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Well, it is hard to go wrong with a Monte Cristo of any variety, but since I only smoke twice a year (once on my birthday and once on Christmas), I like to try something new each time. I am fond of a Costa Rican variety, the name of which I do not recall, but it comes wrapped in a scented palm leaf. It's actually quite enjoyable either to taste or smoke.

Ooh that does sound nice. :)

I like Monte Cristos myself though I tend to prefer the flavored stuff (I know, I'm a savage). Acid makes some wonderful cigars with fantastic Nicaraguan tobacco. Mild, sweet and interesting. I have been veering more toward traditional cigars as of late, though. It's important to remember that tastes can change so long as one always endeavors to have good taste. :)

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Beefeater is my go-to martini gin, but I rarely drink martinis. A martini is made with gin; with vodka what's the point? Especially if you're one of those "no vermouth" martini people. Vodka is by definition an odorless, flavorless spirit and I don't get watering it down and adding nothing for flavor. Ahem. I do use Beefeater more often in negronis, corpse revivers, or other more complicated cocktails. I prefer Tanqueray with tonic. As for scotch, my all-time fave is Highland Park 18, which inexplicably costs $20 more for a bottle in Chicago than it did in the SF Bay Area (actually not inexplicable, state alcohol laws are messed up and can add a lot of unnecessary price for the consumer). It is important to note the difference between blended scotch and single malts though: Johnnie Walker and Famous Grouse are blended, Glenmorangie, Glenlivet, and Highland Park are single malts. Also, they spell it "whisky" without the "e" in Scotland.

Dirty Firefox spellcheck!! A pox upon thee! :p

I prefer the single malts myself but have found Famous Grouse to be an excellent blend. It's cheap, too, if that's a concern. It's not to me but I do understand those that take price of booze more seriously than I.

For those who don't like gin I can't recommend Hendrick's enough. I hate gin but I love Hendricks. Srsly, give it a try - just not with a cigar. It, unfortunately, disappears completely when paired with a good stick.

bone_naga

Explorer
Yeah you can't go wrong with Monte Cristos. I'm also a fan of CAO. Some of their cigars are better than others but I don't think I've had one that was downright bad. Acid makes some good ones. Rocky Patel is another good brand. I really like Nestor Maduros. They aren't the best cigars I've had, but at about $1 or $1.50 each, they are hands down the best cheap cigars I've ever had and they outperform some more expensive ones.

And really ZB? Flavored cigars? I feel like I don't know you anymore. Why don't you just go drink some PBR while you're at it?

That reminds me, I think I ought to break out a cigar or pipe tonight with some scotch. I have a nice meerschaum pipe. I need to find a good pipe tobacco place around me. I have a ton of black and mild tobacco which isn't bad, but I miss the place that was near me in Kansas that had some good blends (although a TSA agent mistook it for drugs since they sold their stuff in regular ziploc bags and you just paid by weight).

Zombie_Babies

First Post
And really ZB? Flavored cigars? I feel like I don't know you anymore. Why don't you just go drink some PBR while you're at it?

dood, Acid makes flavored cigars. They hang the tobacco in rooms full of flowers an spices an' junk an' infuse the stuff with oils. The glue is even made with sugar. If you like Acid sticks you like flavored cigars. :pbbbtt:

Cheers ZB!

Unfortunately the weather here isn't exactly light drink friendly anymore. :(

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases