Skynet reached the International Space Station

No details on what it did (boooo!).
From what I understand of Stuxnet probably not a thing. It was quite narrowly targeted at Siemens industrial control systems, hence the conclusion that it was a government/military creation and aimed squarely at Iranian uranium enrichment machinery, and I'd be rather surprised if anything on the ISS is using off-the-shelf Siemens industrial controls. But I'm not exactly an authority. I just recall that from an article or two I've read.

Not being connected to the interwebz is not sufficiant protection from viruses it would seem.
Never was. Back in the day viruses had no interwebz to travel through. They'd be propagated by infected floppies and other hard media. I seem to recall one virus spreading because there was a commercially released game whose CD's were all printed with infected game code. You don't need a continuous, live feed to the outside world (though that certainly helps), you just have to be able to transfer files of any kind from the outside world. It makes much more sense that it actually would affect a Russian nuclear plant as it would use the very type of Siemens-built control systems for its machinery that Stuxnet was written to take out.

Janx

Hero
I don't think they'd go that far but I don't see checking a device that could interface with the station's systems that far outside the realm of normal. Of course, we're probably right that he just forgot or something. I mean, checking stuff like that is common practice and incredibly basic stuff from the security perspective so I think the Russians have some procedure or rule in place. Odds are dood just forgot.

Really, it's an important reminder for everybody: Don't trust unfamiliar devices and don't trust even familiar ones if they've ever left your control.

I'm no expert (at best, I know a guy who used to work at NASA), but I got the impression they scrub and sanitize everything (including satellites and mars rovers).

So it would have seemed to me that they'd exercise tight controls over what goes into the capsule including a protocol for strip off yer clothes, then put on the astro-undies and space clothes, then step into the next chamber to put on yer space fanny pack, and so on.

Janx

Hero
From what I understand of Stuxnet probably not a thing. It was quite narrowly targeted at Siemens industrial control systems, hence the conclusion that it was a government/military creation and aimed squarely at Iranian uranium enrichment machinery, and I'd be rather surprised if anything on the ISS is using off-the-shelf Siemens industrial controls. But I'm not exactly an authority. I just recall that from an article or two I've read.

Never was. Back in the day viruses had no interwebz to travel through. They'd be propagated by infected floppies and other hard media. I seem to recall one virus spreading because there was a commercially released game whose CD's were all printed with infected game code. You don't need a continuous, live feed to the outside world (though that certainly helps), you just have to be able to transfer files of any kind from the outside world. It makes much more sense that it actually would affect a Russian nuclear plant as it would use the very type of Siemens-built control systems for its machinery that Stuxnet was written to take out.

Yup, the first and only virus I ever wrote was on an Apple IIe because somebody said they couldn't get viruses unlike a PC.

Purely floppy based and exploited a usage pattern the gamer kids would follow of booting a disk with a menu program to display the contents, not likeling the contents and swapping the disk and re-running the catalog. Very simple for the program to save itself on every disk it cataloged.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
I'm no expert (at best, I know a guy who used to work at NASA), but I got the impression they scrub and sanitize everything (including satellites and mars rovers).

So it would have seemed to me that they'd exercise tight controls over what goes into the capsule including a protocol for strip off yer clothes, then put on the astro-undies and space clothes, then step into the next chamber to put on yer space fanny pack, and so on.

It's an interesting assumption and I know I'd like to know more. I mean, it's not outside the realm of the possible.

Janx

Hero
It's an interesting assumption and I know I'd like to know more. I mean, it's not outside the realm of the possible.

For myself, I'm aware that NASA was very careful about sending stuff up (to mars) and bringing stuff back (astronauts), and had cleaning and quarrantining procedures.

As a guy who creates solutions and processes, it's pretty easy for me to imagine how that MIGHT accomplished be, but I couldn't point to any article or show I saw recently that confirms it.

Here's what we know:
NASA is paranoid/careful about germs
NASA only sends up healthy astronauts
NASA does sterilize some projects like the Mars Rover to the nth degree
NASA does carefully manage what goes up in a payload as weight tolerances are calculated

So, a strip-down, shower, change into certified clean space gear, and full check of all incoming equipment before it gets put onto the launch vessel seems probable.

But as we also know, astronauts bring up personal items, including personal computing devices (I once read that the 386 laptops the astronauts carried on one mission were more powerful than the onboard computers in the space shuttle as those computers were designed, built, certified in the 1970s).

So there's likely some wiggle room for some small utility objects like a USB drive to get past the basic screening, and forgotten as a security risk.

Remove ads