Do you think it is reasonable not to tip your server?

Zombie_Babies

First Post
I think the bottom line here is this: Don't expect wait staff, bartenders, etc to have additional income. That's a pretty dangerous assumption and it really isn't going to save you enough money to make up for the damage you may be doing to the person you made the assumption about.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Ah, you see, in the US, if you have a student as a waiter, you kind of expect them to *not* have another source of income. They're working as a waiter because they're busy studying, but the income their family provides is not sufficient for their needs.

Okay; I just made a mental note to get informed before I travel to the US. And regarding the abysmal salaries given in this thread, I can just shake my head.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Speaking as an American, the numbers are truly appalling. That said, some people can and do make a lot of money working for tips. They're the exception, though.

Klirshon

First Post
Also when you are in the US, you shouldn't give a monetary tip to employees that have a non-tipped wage. They are not legitimately permitted to accept such tips and might lead to disciplinary action from their manager/employer.

Scorpio616

First Post
EDIT:First part covered by other posts on law and wage...

I just got home from work and saw an article about a lesbian server who was not only stiffed on a tab but the person wrote a note saying the only reason was because they don't approve of her lifestyle.
Why did she let the customer know what she did in her off time?

Not only was it insulting but in the restaurant I work in that table of haters would have cost me money out of pocket. I typically have to pay out 4% of my total sales, I have to pay the credit card fee, and I only get paid $2.13/hr.
What? Why are YOU paying for your sales at all? That does not sound on the level, nor does the restaurant putting the credit card fee on you. You 100% sure that is legal?

I think this might be the right web page for the subject, but I'm not 100% sure. http://www.twc.state.tx.us/

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Also when you are in the US, you shouldn't give a monetary tip to employees that have a non-tipped wage. They are not legitimately permitted to accept such tips and might lead to disciplinary action from their manager/employer.

Err, yeah, but we have no idea which is which! Do they wear a special badge?

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Err, yeah, but we have no idea which is which! Do they wear a special badge?

Yeah, I was honestly trying to come up with a list of who to tip to post here and ... I failed. :p It's not exactly a smooth system.

Waitstaff yes, bartenders yes, hair stylist yes for the most part, someone at Home Depot that takes something to your vehicle ... umm ... not expected so no but I'm sure they wouldn't mind, cab drivers ... I have no idea (we tipped our cabbies in Greece, though), me ... hells yes. If you ever see me give me money. All of your money. :p

Oh, people at fast food places get paid crap wages but they are not tipped. Confusing, I know, but IIRC they aren't allowed to accept them if offered.

Descartes

Explorer
Scorpio616

She did not tell the table about her preferences they assumed it by looking at her. The article in fact says that when Dayna(sp?) first went to the table and introduced herself they said, "Oh we thought you were going to say Dan," and had a little laugh. She brushed off the comment and gave them service like any other table. Apparently her service was not an issue with these people only their assumption of her sexual orientation. They happened to be correct in their assumption but I do not believe that excuses their behavior.

I myself have had people assume I was a gay man because I was waiting tables. I have no idea where this idea of only gay men wait tables came from but in my experience it is only true about 5-10% of the time based on the number of male servers I've worked with and the actual number of them that have been gay.

As for your second quote about why we have to pay other employees, that is common for every restraurant. Hostesses, bussers, and food expos/runners are usually paid $5/hr +tips. Those tips come from the servers and bartenders. Some places make servers pay 20% of their tips others find it more fair to take a percentage of their total sales (otherwise a server could say I didn't make that much tonight and tip out $5 when in fact they are leaving with $100) and divide it among these employees. It is completely legal as far as I know or else I've been getting screwed for over 12 yrs now at multiple locations.

In the long run the percentage of total sales is the most fair to the servers. If they provide excellent service and are tipped over the norm they are more likely to be able to actually receive that money. Case in point last night I only had a bartender working with me, I had 3 tables and rang up $400 in sales and made $85 before tip out. I paid the bartender $4 as opposed to $17 and the only thing he did for me was pour 2 beers for my first table. I was my own hostess, busser, and food expo.

On the flip side though it is common for servers who have a good night to buy a few pitchers of beer for the cooks, and if you worked the bartender really hard get a drink from him and leave a big tip. For the bussers/hostesses/expos if they continually do a good job you tell the manager to turn them loose on the floor if they are old enough.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Why did she let the customer know what she did in her off time?

Among some, there's a near automatic assumption in the USA that a woman with short hair, minimal/nonexistent cosmetics and masculine or gender-neutral attire is a homosexual. (Ditto for any signs of androgyny.) They made that assumption based on that stereotype and happened to be correct, but as Descartes points out, that's no excuse.

Remove ads