Interesting. Is a marriage proposition (engagement) a verbal contract?

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
For a very long tijme (I think until the eighties or nineties) we had a curious pragraf in German civil law: the Kränzchen-Paragraph. A woman who lost her virginity to a man after he had proposed marriage to her, could sue fo indemnity. Äpparently her value on the open market was diminished. :hmm:

NewJeffCT

First Post

My initial response would be that the contract is worth the paper it's printed on...however, a quick look-up shows that while it's been repealed in most states, some states (like Georgia) still have it on the books, though it's rarely enforced.

http://quizlet.com/12829945/ga-family-law-flash-cards/

Edited to add - the guy seems like a moron as well, "Even though I gave her a $10,000 engagement ring, I never really intended to marry her..." And, despite sleeping with at least two other women, you never really intended to cheat on her, either...

Last edited:

sabrinathecat

Explorer
For a very long time (I think until the eighties or nineties) we had a curious pragraph in German civil law: the Kränzchen-Paragraph. A woman who lost her virginity to a man after he had proposed marriage to her, could sue for indemnity. Äpparently her value on the open market was diminished. :hmm:

Ah yes. That sounds like a law written for a different culture--based on attitudes out of the dark ages.
Really, an experienced woman is far better.
(OK, enough of being a sexist pig).
There are embarrassing laws in just about every culture.

Clearly the person here was an idiot. You don't ask if you don't plan on going through with it. On the other hand, she's better off for finding out now, and so is her family. (Is it still traditional that the Bride's family has to pay for the wedding?)

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Edited to add - the guy seems like a moron as well, "Even though I gave her a $10,000 engagement ring, I never really intended to marry her..." And, despite sleeping with at least two other women, you never really intended to cheat on her, either...

Happens all the time. They do it to shut the broad up. It works, as this guy found out, for a time. Not a foolproof fix, of course, but it does silence the noise for a while. Aside from that, his defense argued that it was a relationship in the vein of prostitution - not love. He paid her for sex. A $10k ring could buy a decent amount of sex.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Happens all the time. They do it to shut the broad up. It works, as this guy found out, for a time. Not a foolproof fix, of course, but it does silence the noise for a while. Aside from that, his defense argued that it was a relationship in the vein of prostitution - not love. He paid her for sex. A $10k ring could buy a decent amount of sex.

He may have viewed it that way, but she did not. And, if he really viewed it like prostitution, why give her a symbol of eternal love? Why not just $10,000 cash? Or, give her $10,000 towards a car?

He may have viewed it that way, but she did not. And, if he really viewed it like prostitution, why give her a symbol of eternal love? Why not just $10,000 cash? Or, give her $10,000 towards a car?
He could have been hoping to get the ring back later on. Had he given her money, she would have spent it by now.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases