Monsters in three words or less

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I'm fleshing out a monster creation system for my homebrewed, user-content roleplaying game. The design section of the bestiary calls for a creature concept first - but that can get lengthy.

The next step is to determine whether the monster is minmaxed, balanced, or average. I'll include this in the following list for fun.

The tricky part: describe the creature in three words (or less). These words will go on to establish how the stats become a monster.

Here's what I have so far. Please comment on my ideas or add your own.

CreatureNameDesc1Desc2Desc3Type
Skeleton, missileundeadthrows bonesfragileminmax
Zombie, sprinterundeadpouncestoughbalanced
Ghoul, starvingundeadmissing limbstenchaverage
Human, valkyriearmorswordfemalebalanced
Elf, archerbowstealthyquickbalanced
Dwarf, clericprayersarmorshortbalanced
Hobgoblin, warriorfightermobileweaponsbalanced
Goblin, shamansmallspellsstealthyminmax
Gnome, wizardsmallspellssmartbalanced
Halfling, thiefsmalldeftdeceitbalanced
Ogre, hunterlargefighterstealthybalanced
Slime, greensmallbouncymultipliesaverage
Werebullbullishstrongstupidminmax
Owl, petsmallfliesnocturnalbalanced
Lizardman, trappersnakytailtrapsbalanced
Wolf, direlargebitesfastminmax
Cat, petsmallfastawarebalanced

Cleon

Legend
Methinks you'd be getting more responses to this question over on the House Rules, Homebrews, & Conversion Library forum than here, partly because its a Homebrew Rule System issue (as most of the stuff on this forum is homebrewed monsters using existing rule systems), but mostly because we don't get that much traffic here compared to the main fora.

As for a critique, without knowing more details of the system it's hard to say anything.

The "bullish" and "stupid" in the Werebull seems a bit redundant - shouldn't you have a "lycanthrope" or "shapechanger" descriptor instead of one of them?

Also, if you're strict about using one-word descriptors I suppose the "missing limb" and "throws bones" need replacing with something else. Maybe you could start using portmanteau words like "bonethrower" and "onearmed"?

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I'm not looking for system-specific rules. Just ideas. Another way to put it, "What does the word werebull mean to you?"

Yes, "throws bones" is two words, but just one idea. So you see, we're working with guidelines (not rules) here.

It's my understanding that the Monster Homebrews sub-forum acts as a filter for the House Rules . . . forum. But maybe a repost is in order...

Cleon

Legend
I'm not looking for system-specific rules. Just ideas. Another way to put it, "What does the word werebull mean to you?"

It means if one attacked my PCs I'd be likely to use the word "stampede" or "rampage" rather than "stupid".

It's my understanding that the Monster Homebrews sub-forum acts as a filter for the House Rules . . . forum. But maybe a repost is in order...

First time I've heard the idea of Monster Homebrews being a filter, most folk have just been posting complete or pretty well developed individual monsters here for comments or advice, but I don't think there are any rules to that effect - or even guidelines!

It's more pertinent that the Monster Homebrews forum is a bit of a backwater compared to House Rules, so you'd likely get more responses there.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Here's the werebull v1.0, if you're interested. The "always mounted" perk is what amounts to a stampede ability: it allows him to attack back row enemies as if they were front row enemies.

Name: Werebull
Level: 5
P, M, MP: 18, 7, 10
Skills:
Cast spell (alter) +1
Fight-unarmed +3 (+7)
Parry +1 (+5)
Perks: longstrider, always mounted, natural weapon x 2, natural armor
Gear: natural weapon (horns) d8, natural armor (hide) d4
Concept: ...

(yes, concept is under construction. Anyone want to fill in the blank?)

Remove ads