Help with Character Creation

Istayfrosti

First Post
I'm now in a 1e game and i have no idea what to do! I have only ever played DM and that was for a 4th edition game. Any tips, sheets, or anything really would be greatly appreciated.

I ended up with a half elf ranger.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Well, most of the time, I advise you start with a PC concept. However, 1Ed classes have stat minimums to qualify for them.

So, using whatever stat creation method your DM approved, get your PC's stats, then go from there.

Pick your race. Your race affects abilities, but also your class options: certain races can only advance so far in certain classes, and only nonhumans can multiclass. And 1Ed's version of multiclassing is most like 3Ed's gestalting or 4Ed's Hybrid rules.

THEN you pick your class.

After you have your stats, race & class, you pick your equipment and that is pretty much it. Generally speaking, from that point forward, you're just getting better at whatever you chose to do at 1st level. There isn't much in the way of class changing/multiclassing like you'd see in 3Ed forward. Only humans with a stat of 17+ in a new class' primary stat can choose to pick up a new class.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Yep. Roll up the stats first.

Then take a look. It is possible you can pick or have a choice of race prior to the stats, but better to wait until the numbers are on the paper (in pencil ;)

As Dannyalcatraz noted: 1e "sub-classes" (your druid, paladin, ranger, illusionist, or assassin) have ability minimums. So thinking "I want to play a ranger" when you don't have the requisite stuff will just set you up for disappointment before the character's even created. If you want to be a Bard, you have to start out as a fighter (up to at least level 5 I think)....switch to thief (up to, again, something like level 5 or 7)...and then switch to druid (at which point you become a Bard level 1).

Only non-humans can multiclass and have class restrictions, and not all the same ones. Want a dwarf magic-user? Not in 1e, buddy. Want a cleric-fighter halfling (or dwarf or elf, for that matter)? Nope.

...well, though...cleric PCs (single or multi-classed) did become permissible for all races with 1e's Unearthed Arcana. That's up to your DM, if that book's material will be permitted (which includes 3 crazy classes and a slew of uber-powered sub-races - like drow, duergar and svirfneblin available for PCs for the first time).

1e Half-elves, by far, are the most flexible -both in terms of classes available and multi-classing options- and the only race that can "triple class" as the ultra-versatile Fighter/Cleric/Magic-users (both elves and half elves can be Fighter/Magic-user/Thief) or the super-spellcaster "Cleric/Magic-user." This being your first foray into 1e, I do not recommend the triple classing (or maybe even multi-classing with 2). Yes, it's super versatile and you can kinda pick up slack or add to many areas during the adventure, but advancement is so amazingly slow...and you will find 1e's advancement slow, coming from 4e, for single classed characters already.

[EDIT] hmmm...:erm: The you asked for "help" didn't you? ehmmm. :hmm: Was that help or just rambling? hahaha. Sorry.
1. Roll you stats.
2. Pick your race. Check what classes they are limited to and what LEVEL those classes are limited to. Note your racial abilities.
3. Pick a class. Note your class abilities.
4. Roll up starting money (I think your DM will do this for you or just give out a figure for everyone to start with). Buy equipment, armor, weapons.
5. Anywhere between steps 2-5, pick an Alignment. Note, coming from 4e, that 1e uses the 9-point alignment system. Lawful Good/Neutral/Evil, Neutral Good/True Neutral/Evil, and Chaotic Good/Neutral/Evil. Familiarize yourself with them and make sure you and your DM are on the same page as to what each of the alignments entails [to avoid alignment fracases in the futre/during play].
6. ...I think that's about it. Give him/her a name. Decide looks...some personality traits or quirks..."flesh the character out."
[/EDIT]

Last edited:

well back in 2e I used to tell people to start with basic concept... "what do you want to play" just your answer can not have race or class in it..

good example: Some kind of wandering sage
Bad example: A diviner

good example: A soldier form the last war
Bad example: A fighter

howandwhy99

Adventurer
I would say the Class you pick is the most important choice for you as a player. Then race and starting alignment which largely define the particulars of the character you'll play. The Ability Scores are abilities every character has and are rolled, not chosen. Same with Hit Points, Starting Gold, and any other rolled or derived results. (Checking for psionic ability for instance).

Depending on your Ability Score rolls you might be able to qualify for a Subclass. I believe AD&D requires 9 or higher in any prime requisite score for even the core classes. I don't agree with that, but it's a good reason to roll again if you're new and don't want to change your class. Depending on the DM you might be offered the chance to Min/Max Ability Scores, but this is expensive and scores are bought at 2 or 3-for-1 cost to raise, but might allow you to qualify for a subclass, if you so choose.

Finally, buying equipment takes the longest, but can be done in game. What you buy depends on all sorts of stuff, your class and race, but foremost what your plans are. Do you need rope? light sources? food for how long? Do you want to put the wizards in armor for the time being? Change equipment to fit the situation. If you're playing a 1-shot module, you should know something before to help you purchase and prepare for it. Also, buying equipment as a group during planning helps a lot to cover team needs not to mention sussing out viable tactics. The equipment you use will and probably should be changed around a lot over the length of a campaign, so this is just the start of a long game process.

Before any of that begins though I suggest having a first session campaign and adventure concepting session where players work out what they want in the game. Who are they? What are they? What are their backgrounds? What is the world like and where are they in it? What are their goals? Do they have any custom classes, races, equipment, and so on they want in the game? Feed the GM material for generating the campaign setting and available adventure locations, then roll up characters better informed of what, where, and why they are.

Halivar

First Post
First, roll up a character.
Second, roll up another character for when the first one dies.
Third, roll up another character for when the second one dies.

And a bit of advice I got from these boards: invest in henchmen. Lots and lots of henchmen.

Remove ads