Japan's Suntory to buy U.S. drinks group Beam

To be considered a bourbon a spirit must be made of mash that's 51% or better corn, must be distilled to no more than 160 proof, bottled to no less than 80 and placed in the barrel for aging at no more than 125. It must be aged in new charred oak barrels as well. This is federal law we're talking about. Apparently there's no requirement beyond what's listed here to have a bourbon considered a 'Kentucky bourbon'. Some makers use that as a way to differentiate themselves. Those that do also use water from a specific source. This is not required by law.

At any rate, I'm sure you can see now how nothing you're concerned about has anything at all to do with what makes a bourbon a bourbon.

Thats not exaclty what I meant, I always thought they was based in Kentucky, like it was just a bunch of Kentucky hillbillies makin this stuff, I had no idea that they had offices in Chicago, this totally shatters my illusion, the being bought by the Japanese thing is just icing on the cake.

Yeah but those will likely be new versions of old stuff and not replacements. And they'll probably be worth a look, too. You can really change a bourbon by varying how you age it.
I'm assuming it'll be something they might do for some new Japanese Whisky. It might interesting stuff to try. It'll be a few years before we get to try it, but it might be some tasty stuff. Then there is the possibility that they won't do anything new and just keep things as they are.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Thats not exaclty what I meant, I always thought they was based in Kentucky, like it was just a bunch of Kentucky hillbillies makin this stuff, I had no idea that they had offices in Chicago, this totally shatters my illusion, the being bought by the Japanese thing is just icing on the cake.

*sigh*

Part of being an alcohol snob is actually researching what you drink. You need to know about it so you can properly shame people when you speak to them. You really need to take our class, bro. It's not just about what to drink, you know.

I'm assuming it'll be something they might do for some new Japanese Whisky. It might interesting stuff to try. It'll be a few years before we get to try it, but it might be some tasty stuff. Then there is the possibility that they won't do anything new and just keep things as they are.

Yeah, that would be pretty cool - especially if they made the Japanese stuff easier to find. I've heard all sorts of good things about it but I haven't tried it yet. So yeah, this could be totes neat to the o.

Remove ads