D&D 4E The 4e Solo Thread

Pour

First Post
[MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION] Thanks! I can't believe I didn't realize she was a crit-fisher. And yes, if they can do it, so can we! Hah, I'd love to use her modified self in a game against a few cocky high Epics!

the Jester

Legend
Here's a lower-level solo of mine- one interpretation of 3e's phantom fungus, because I wanted to prove that I could make the phantom fungus a pretty cool monster. :)

EDIT: Design notes.

Its defenses are low for its level, but enemies will almost certainly have a -5 to attack due to its invisibility, so they're a bit high for its level, counting that.

Though it doesn't have a lurker extra damage ability, a monster that's always invisible certainly fits the definition of a "lurker" in the conventional sense, so... yeah.

I would imagine a fight with one of these would be a tricky "It's stalking us!" kind of thing spread out over time, without enough time for a short rest in the middle. Hit and run, etc, until the party can lock it down or reveal it.

Phantom Fungus Stalker --- Level 6 Solo Lurker
Medium natural animate (plant) --- XP 1,250
HP 232; Bloodied 116 Initiative +10
AC 17; Fortitude 16; Reflex 20; Will 13 Perception +3
Speed 6 Blindsight 6
Saving Throws +5; Action Points 2

TRAITS
Invisibility (illusion)

The phantom fungus is invisible as long as it is alive. If it does not make a Stealth check to hide, opponents can detect what square it is in, but they suffer a -5 penalty to attacks against it.

STANDARD ACTIONS
(mbasic) Bite * At Will

Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +11 vs. AC.
Hit: 3d6+3 damage, or 4d6+3 if the phantom fungus is hidden from the target.

Quick Bite * At Will
Effect: The phantom fungus stalker uses bite twice.
Stalk * At Will
Effect: The phantom fungus makes a Stealth check to hide, then shifts up to 3 squares to a space adjacent to an enemy. Until the start of the phantom fungus' next turn, if that enemy moves, the phantom fungus may make a Stealth check to hide and shift up to its speed to a space adjacent to that enemy as an opportunity action.

MINOR ACTIONS
(close) Vent Spores (poison) * At Will

Attack: Close burst 1 (each creature in burst); +7 vs. Fortitude.
Hit: 2d6+2 poison damage. On a critical hit, the target is also dazed (save ends).

TRIGGERED ACTIONS
Invisible Dodge * Recharge 5 6 while bloodied

Trigger: The phantom fungus is targeted by an attack.
Effect (Immediate Interrupt): The phantom fungus shifts 1 square.
---
Skills Stealth + 11
Str 14 Dex 16 Wis 11
Con 16 Int 2 Cha 9
Alignment unaligned Languages -

Last edited:

I think I might do a tutorial on this thread for "how to synergize the lair with the BBEG and/or the bad guys." I'm sure most folks have found the same to be true. The solo fight with Juiblex that I outlined in the "what level 27 characters are capable of" thead wouldn't have been remotely as interesting without:

1) An Acid Wave hazard that crossed 1/3 of the lair each round (Left to Right, Right to Left, then Left to Right again). The PC could either move out of the significant AoE "Trample" line of the wave or use blocking terrain to prevent it from hitting him. That really provoked mobility and forced catch-22 decisions.

2) Five Burst 2 Poision Eruptions that were each on recharge and went off on the hazard's initiative.

3) Challenging Terrain (pits that would get filled up with leftover acid from the wave and poison from the eruptions).

4) The blocking terrain elements that the PC could use to avoid 1.

I think a "Making Lairs Awesome" would have been a huge boon for 4e GMs, noobs and accomplished GMs alike.

And an unrelated addendum, when I design my solos, I typically go for the "multiple actions" build. That coupled with the Standard Action spent to remove one punitive control effect accomplishes two things:

1) It allows the controller role to still be effective as they are basically locking out one suite of actions (just as if they had used it on a standard or Elite).

2) It prevents status effect lockdown.

Jhaelen

First Post
In my experience most monsters are primarily or only melee and most PCs (at least in my groups) are mostly ranged fighters.
That's definitely group-specific. In both of our 4e groups there is usually only one ranged attacker. We have my Dragonmagic Sorcerer, which is actually more effective at close range and an Archer Ranger. Everyone else is (almost) exclusively melee. As you might expect, flying enemies are among the biggest threats to our group.

the Jester

Legend
I think it's important to remember that the lower level the creature is, the less it needs "Get out of status free" powers. Lower level pcs have a lot fewer ways to inflict such statuses, and generally inflict less potent statuses when they do so. Too many easy outs for a low-level solo means pcs might as well not even bother.

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION] Yes! I totally agree a lot of good advice could be compiled about how to link solos to their lairs; that D&D 5e black dragon article was a step in the right direction IMHO.

[MENTION=1210]the Jester[/MENTION] Yeah I would love it if we could assemble solo guidelines by tier. What I've noticed (having DMed and played levels 1-13) is an increase in the number of status effects PCs can dish out by about 9th level.

Also I'm in the process of putting together what I'm dubbing MONSTERS 4EVER which is basically all the tricks I've learned and compiled about designing monsters in 4e. I think of it like totally getting behind the scenes on the monster system and then giving DMs tools to hack it effectively. What would be great is if anyone wants to collaborate on a thorough list of solo design precepts with me. In particular I have no experience with high-paragon or epic play, which I hear is a different beast :)

Some of the topics I'm covering include:
  • New monster types besides minions, standards, elites, and solos...including humanoids & champions
  • Tricks for changing monster type/level
  • Pitfall conditions to watch out for
  • Ways to increase player agency on the monster building side
  • Mastering keywords
  • Minion design
  • Elite templates
  • Solo design

Last edited:

I think it's important to remember that the lower level the creature is, the less it needs "Get out of status free" powers. Lower level pcs have a lot fewer ways to inflict such statuses, and generally inflict less potent statuses when they do so. Too many easy outs for a low-level solo means pcs might as well not even bother.

I saw PCs cripple solos starting at 4th-level, using the prone condition. They just pinned that solo down. Both sides exchanged 200+ damage in the first round (luckily the solo, a young giant, could not keeping pounding the same target) but after being knocked prone it didn't hit once! (Prone is only -2 to hit, so it was as much bad luck as being knocked over, and the monster didn't really its mobility. I didn't realize how nasty being continually "proned" was until the PCs went up against Calastryx, and won with virtually no damage dealt to them.)

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Here is a solo that I put together for a party that was fond of proning and controlling the heck out of the battlefield. Some of its design was inspired by the final encounter in the Reavers of Harkenwold, which was really fun to run.

The idea was to allow PCs to use whatever conditions and tactics they wanted, because denial is really frustrating, but at the same time, there are consequences to those tactics in this fight. Proning this guy in melee range is not necessarily a brilliant plan. Staying in his way long enough to make an OA against him was also... risky. And dazing or stunning? Look out, there may be windmilling (referencing a prior inside joke with our group).

cave troll.png

Let's see how well this pastes. Spoilers for ZEITGEIST Adventure 7.

[sblock]
It's a huge swarm of ghosts, encountered in a mansion, and it harasses the party while they're trying to run from room to room to gather allies or kill enemies before the hostile forces can regroup. Rather than being one single encounter, the party basically fights 1/3 of the ghost council in each of three different encounters, making it sorta like a recurring elite. There are other enemies in each of those encounters.

The 'fun' of the encounter is having this huge horde of ghosts pop in, cause trouble and knock the party around, then flee when it gets its nose bloodied.

Ghost Council Swarm Level15 Solo Brute
Gargantuan shadow humanoid (undead, swarm) XP 6000
HP 380; Threshold I 252; Threshold II 126 Initiative +16
AC 28, Fortitude 27, Reflex 27, Will 28 Perception +15
Speedfly 8 (hover); phasing Darkvision
Resist cold20, poison 20; insubstantial
Vulnerableradiant 10
SavingThrows +5; Action Points 1
Traits
Swarm ofGhosts
The swarm has two HP thresholds, and its abilitieschange as it reaches different thresholds. The damaged ghosts discorporate butwill return in a few days unless the conspiracy is defeated.

The swarm consists of a hundred or more ghosts whotravel together closely-packed, filling the space of a gargantuan creature. Theswarm needs only fill 16 contiguous spaces, and can stretch across abattlefield. Enemies can move through the swarm, which counts as difficultterrain.

Enemies cannot gain combat advantage against the swarmby flanking it.
Standard Actions
m EldritchGrasp (acid, cold,fire, lightning) * At-Will
You stray too close to the swarm, and ahalf-dozen undead mages assault you with energetic touch spells.
Effect: Ifthe swarm makes an opportunity attack, just make the following power once. Ifit uses this power on its turn, make the following attack against up to fourdifferent targets. For each attack choose whether it deals acid, cold, fire, orlightning damage.
Attack: Melee1 (one creature); +19 vs. Reflex
Hit: 2d6+17damage of the chosen energy type.
Bl OppressiveMoan (fear, psychic,thunder) * Encounter * Stage 1
The council shuffles forward slowly, hunched,glaring wide-eyed at you as they unleash a long, eerie moan.
Effect: Makethe following two attacks.
Primary Attack:Close blast 10 (enemies in blast); +19 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 5d6+25thunder damage, and the target is knocked prone.
Miss: Halfdamage.
Secondary Attack:Close blast 10 (enemies in blast); +19 vs. Will
Hit: 5d6+25psychic damage, and the target is weakened (save ends). This is a fear effect.
M Carry Off (necrotic) *At-Will * Stage 2
The swarm swoops into you. Dozens of hands graspyou and carry you off the ground. Every touch drains away your life force.
Effect: Theswarm flies 8 squares and makes the following attack against up to two targetsat any point during the movement.
Attack: Melee1 (one creature); +19 vs. Reflex
Hit: 3d6+13necrotic damage, and the target is grabbed (Escape DC 22). The target hasongoing 25 necrotic damage as long as it is grabbed. When the swarm moves, itcan slide the target along with it, even into the air. It can sustain the grabas a free action, and can grab up to four creatures at once.
Bu PoltergeistActivity * At-Will * Stage 3
You are all hurled by invisible force againstwalls. Some of you are defenestrated.
Attack: Closeburst 10 (enemies in burst); +19 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 2d10+13damage, and the ghost council hurls the target through the air, sliding them 5squares and knocking them prone. The ghost council can lift the target off theground during this forced movement.
Miss. Halfdamage, and the ghost council slides the target 1 square.
Minor Actions
EctoplasmicConstruct * At-Will, 1/round
A solid wall appears before you, cutting you offfrom your allies.
Effect: Theghost council creates a wall or similar inanimate object out of ectoplasm,filling up to 4 contiguous spaces within 20 squares, to a height of 3 squares.It lasts until the end of the encounter. The ectoplasm is translucent. Eachsquare has 10 hit points.
Triggered Actions
Splinter *Encounter
After your latest strike, the swarm recoils, but thengrows enraged. You sense a new presence nearby.
Trigger: Theghost council is reduced to 252 HP or below.
Effect (NoAction): The ghost council swarm uses oppressivemoan if it has not already. Two senior ghost councilors (see below) appearin spaces adjacent to the ghost council. They are invisible until they attack.All conditions affecting the ghost council transfer to one of those seniorghost councilors.
The ghost council gains an action point, then shifts 10squares. (It likely uses this to flee, but will return to combat later.)
Fracture *Encounter
The ghosts exchange glances, and a few shaketheir heads. Those fly away through the walls. Some seem to have steeled theirresolve, while the remainder gather together more closely.
Trigger: Theghost council is reduced to 126 HP or below.
Effect (No Action):The ghost council reduces to 9 contiguous spaces, and is now only size Huge.All conditions affecting the ghost council end. Two senior ghost councilors(see below) appear in spaces adjacent to the ghost council. They are invisibleuntil they attack.
The ghost council gains an action point, then shifts 10squares. (It likely uses this to flee, but will return to combat later.).
Str 28 (+17) Dex 12 (+9) Wis 14 (+10)

Con 19 (+12) Int 24(+15) Cha 14 (+10)
AlignmentEvil  Languages Common, Elven,Primordial

Senior Ghost Councilor Level16 Goon Lurker
Medium shadow humanoid (undead) XP 600
HP 54; Bloodied 27 Initiative +16
AC 29, Fortitude 28, Reflex 28, Will 29 Perception +10
Speedfly 8 (hover); phasing Darkvision
Resist cold20, poison 20; insubstantial
Vulnerableradiant 10
Traits
Withdrawfrom Sight
Whenever the councilor takes damage, it turns invisibleuntil it either attacks or chooses to become visible. When it is reduced to 0HP it discorporates but will return in a few days unless Nicodemus the Gnosticis defeated.
Standard Actions
m Tap theCouncil (necrotic) *At-Will, Basic
You feel a tap on your shoulder and hear a manclear his throat. You see a ghost behind you, and just then realize your fleshis withering away.His touch carried not the power of a single ghost, but of theentire ghost council.
Attack: Melee1 (one creature); +21 vs. AC
Hit: 2d6+5necrotic damage and the target is weakened and has ongoing 5 necrotic damage aslong as any hostile member of the ghost council can see the target.
R Do NotDeny Us (charm) *At-Will
The ghost whispers, “Our will shall be notdenied,” and a deep, nigh-inaudible chorus echoes him. Then he says, “Slay yourallies.”
Attack:Ranged 10; +19 vs. Will
Hit: Thetarget is dominated until the end of the councilor’s next turn. Whenever thecouncilor takes damage, the target can make a save to end this effect.
Sustain standard.When the councilor sustains this power, he can make the target move its speed.
Str 12 (+9) Dex 12 (+9) Wis 14 (+10)

Con 19 (+12) Int 24(+15) Cha 14 (+10)
AlignmentEvil  Languages Common, Elven,Primordial

[/sblock]

Last edited:

And this one has spoilers for ZEITGEIST Adventure Six.

[sblock]
Steamtech-augmented red dragon, with one mechanical forelimb, rocket-assisted wings, and a prosthetic eye.

You encounter her in a factory in an underground lava tube, with steel grating floors and various moving machines. She can throw you into those machines to smash or grind you, or might just try to knock you into lava.

Terakalir, steam-augmented dragon Level 14 Solo Soldier
Large natural magical beast (dragon) XP 5000
HP 560; Threshold I 373; Threshold II 186 Initiative +9
AC 30, Fortitude 28, Reflex 26, Will 27 Perception +14
Speed 8,fly 10 Darkvision
Resist 20fire
SavingThrows +5; Action Points 2
Traits
ExperimentalProstheses
Her left foreleg and wing shine with steel andhiss with steam, and in her left eye socket glimmers a faceted ruby mounted ona masterfully complex system of gimbals and gyros.
Terakalir has two HP thresholds. Triggered actionsoccur when her HP falls below each threshold. She counts as bloodied when shehas 373 HP or fewer.
ActionRecovery
She hisses a quick restorative spell to help hershake off your attack.
Whenever Terakalir ends her turn, any dazing, stunning,or dominating effect on her ends.
InstinctiveAssault
She casually swipes at you without distracting herfrom planning her next move.
On an initiative of 10 + her initiative check,Terakalir can use a free action to use biteor right claw. If she cannot use a free action to make this attack due to adominating or stunning effect, then that effect ends instead of her making theattack.
Standard Actions
m Bite *At-Will, Basic
She snaps at you, and her fangs sink into yourarm, holding you tight as flames from her throat sear your skin.
Attack: Melee2 (one creature); +19 vs. AC
Hit: 2d8+8damage. The target is grabbed and takes ongoing 10 fire damage, or ongoing 15fire damage if Terakalir at Stage 3 (186 HP or fewer), until the grab ends(escape DC 23).
B RightClaw (radiant) *At-Will
You’d expect her to slice you with her talons,but instead she deftly gestures to cast a spell. A blinding spray of lightflashes into your eyes.
Attack: Closeblast 2 (creatures in blast); +17 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 2d8+8radiant damage and the target is blinded (save ends).
BlindingCombo *At-Will
Effect:Terakalir uses right claw, then bite.
M Left Claw * At-Will (Stage 1 & 2)
Her metal claws tear through your armor likepaper. Then, with a spray of steam, her limb hammers you like a piston andsends you flying.
Attack: Melee2 (one creature); +19 vs. AC
Hit: 4d8+26damage, and the target is pushed 6 squares.
B BreathWeapon (fire)* Recharge 5-6
Dragonfire surrounds you and turns your flesh toash.
Attack: Closeblast 5 (creatures in blast); +17 vs. Reflex
Hit: 3d12+10fire damage, and the target gains ongoing 10 fire damage (save ends).
Minor Action
FiresightEye * Daily
Her ruby eye glows, and all the illusions areburned away.
Effect: Untilthe end of Terakalir’s next turn, illusions in close blast 10 are suppressed,as is any form of invisibility.
MaliciousMisstep * At-Will, 1/round
She flicks her right claws and hexes you. Whenyou start to move, you find yourself going the wrong direction.
Effect: Terakalirchooses a creature she can see within 10 squares. The next time that targetmoves before the end of Terakalir’s next turn, Terakalir first slides it 2squares, and then the creature moves its speed -2.
Triggered Action
MalfunctionOne * Encounter
She screeches as the skin around her prostheticwing tears, and she has to fight against the pain to stay aloft. Some failsafetriggers, and a jet of fire blasts out beneath her wing, rocketing her acrossthe battlefield. As she glides past you, she breathes a stream of flame ontothe ground.
Trigger:Terakalir drops to 373 HP or fewer.
Effect (NoAction): All negative conditions affecting Terakalir end. She flies 10squares, recharges breath weapon, anduses it immediately. Instead of a close blast, however, it affects every spacedirectly beneath her, up to 3 squares down, as she flies. (Basically shestrafes fire as she flies.)

Hereafter, whenever she flies she must land at the endof her movement.
MalfunctionTwo * Encounter
The dragon’s two metal limbs crack from thestress of combat, and searing steam pours out from the devices. She casts adesperate spell, and you peer into the steam, trying to spot her. Then sheattacks.
Trigger:Terakalir drops to 186 HP or fewer.
Effect (NoAction): All negative conditions affecting Terakalir end. She gains an aura3. Creatures in the aura (including her) have concealment from steam. Thosethat end their turns in the aura take 10 fire damage.

Terakalir turns invisible and creates an illusion ofherself, which appears to exit the steam cloud and move up to 5 squares. Theillusion has her defenses, reacts believably to attacks, and appears to makeineffectual attacks on Terakalir’s turn. When Terakalir attacks, the illusionends and she becomes visible.

Hereafter, she cannot fly, cannot use left claw, and is slowed.
Str 22 (+13) Dex 10 (+7) Wis 14 (+9)

Con 20 (+12) Int 20(+12) Cha 14 (+9)
AlignmentUnaligned  Languages Common,Draconic

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads