Do You Name Your Car?

Do You Name Your Car?

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Wow, I'd have never thought it was so common to give your car a name. The thought would never occur to me. I mean, are you also naming your pc, toaster or washing machine?

I have yet to meet a person with the same sort of emotional attachment to a PC, toaster, washing machine or similar that other people I know have to their cars.

Except for members of the Apple cult. But they probably don't name their iGadgets because they plan to upgrade them after a few weeks so why bother?

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I like pie.

But I did name my old Dodge Shadow 'Tangerine'. It wasn't that color but I liked the sound of the name and it WAS my first car.

My current car is a nameless silver Chevy Cobalt.

Jhaelen

First Post
I have yet to meet a person with the same sort of emotional attachment to a PC, toaster, washing machine or similar that other people I know have to their cars.
Well, sometimes I'm talking to (or at?) my PC, typically in exasperation at something not working... but otherwise I'm really not emotionally attached to any device, tool, or gadget.

But really, why cars? What's so different about them? For me it's just something that gets me faster from A to B.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Well, sometimes I'm talking to (or at?) my PC, typically in exasperation at something not working... but otherwise I'm really not emotionally attached to any device, tool, or gadget.

But really, why cars? What's so different about them? For me it's just something that gets me faster from A to B.

It's one of those things where, if you don't get it, you simply don't get it.

Queen got it.... [video=youtube;F9ZAhHDv2Oc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9ZAhHDv2Oc[/video]

Scorpio616

First Post
The "Old Car" is nicknamed "Cold Storage" because I store stuff in it.
The "New Car" is nicknamed "The Junkmobile" because the back seat is filled with random purchases and empty packaging.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I love my car, but have never felt the urge to name it. It's usually just "the car", "my car" or "the silver one", depending on the context.

In context, my comment was in response to a comment about not being able to understand having an emotional attachment to a car.

Not naming it? That I can understand. I only did it once because the number plate suggested I should: HNU => HUN => ATTILA. And it was dark, fast and mean.... ;)

nerfherder

Explorer
In context, my comment was in response to a comment about not being able to understand having an emotional attachment to a car.

Not naming it? That I can understand. I only did it once because the number plate suggested I should: HNU => HUN => ATTILA. And it was dark, fast and mean.... ;)

Apologies for missing the nuance - I was racing through the thread at 100MPH :)

Remove ads