Songs ruined

Bullgrit

Adventurer
I just heard "Stuck in the Middle With You" by Stealers Wheel on the radio. I used to like that song. Now, though, since the 90s, that song always makes me think of the torture scene in Reservoir Dogs. I turned off the movie, (watching at home), at the end of that scene because it was the opposite of entertaining to me. Now, that song I used to like is ruined for me. Stupid Tarantino.

Is there a song you used to like but then it got ruined by something or someone? (Not necessarily by a movie.)

Bullgrit

Last edited:

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Heh, that's the only reason I even like that song. When I hear it at work (Muzak) I have to try not to laugh out loud. Hilarious.

Anyhoo, I've had all sorts of songs ruined due to peoples' names. My friends have a habit of taking songs and substituting words out with someone's name that sounds similar. 'I' becomes Mike, 'you' becomes Stu and 'me' becomes Steve, for example. So yeah, imagine any song that uses one or more of those words - I, me, you - and you get the idea. Sort of messes up music for a person.

Let's play with Bad Religion's Infected for a moment:

Stu and Steve have a disease,
Stu affects me, Stu infects me,
Mike's afflicted, you're addicted,
Stu and Steve, Stu and Steve

Yeah, it's like that. My friends are real jerks.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
It's usually commercials that ruin songs for me. Going waaaaay back to Look What They've Done to My Song being turned into Look What They've Done to My Oatmeal right up to T-Mobile's current ruination of Forget You in their radio ads and many many more inbetween.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I just heard "Stuck in the Middle With You" by Stealers Wheel on the radio. I used to like that song. Now, though, since the 90s, that song always makes me think of the torture scene in Resevoir Dogs. I turned off the movie, (watching at home), at the end of that scene because it was the opposite of entertaining to me. Now, that song I used to like is ruined for me. Stupid Tarantino.

Kind of like Alex DeLarge in A Clockwork Orange. I wouldn't be surprised if Tarentino didn't intend that as an homage...

J. Geils Band "Freeze Frame" and "My Baby is a Centerfold" were both ruined for me by the girls gym class of Aurora Middle School in the late 1970s.

I was in the boys' class, and while we were in a different section of the gym doing things like archery, they were doing aerobics. Those 2 songs were the only 45s they had, and they played them over and over again,

For an hour a day.

Every day.

For weeks.

Some part of me still loves those songs, and they reside in my collection on a "Best of" CD...that I almost never play.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Jerry Goldsmith's theme to Star Trek: The Motion Picture.
ST:TNG turned it into lift music. Over-used, over-played, and now kinda annoying. They should have commissioned a new theme. (Yes, I know the story about why they didn't and all that)

I can't ever hear "Mad World" without thinking of Donnie Darko, but that's not really a bad thing.

Starman

Adventurer
J. Geils Band "Freeze Frame" and "My Baby is a Centerfold" were both ruined for me by the girls gym class of Aurora Middle School in the late 1970s.

I was in the boys' class, and while we were in a different section of the gym doing things like archery, they were doing aerobics. Those 2 songs were the only 45s they had, and they played them over and over again,

For an hour a day.

Every day.

For weeks.

Some part of me still loves those songs, and they reside in my collection on a "Best of" CD...that I almost never play.

Late 70s? That album came out in '81.

For me, what ruined the most songs were song parodies (even if the parodies were sometimes better than the original). I was (and still am) a big Weird Al fan, so pretty much every song he covered either by parody or polka-ification is ruined in a sense.

AR

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases