Create an O.L.D. Character

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
For what it's worth, going through the process of creating a character made me a lot more interested in the game than I had been before. I knew it was being worked on, but hadn't really paid it any mind. After sitting here for a few minutes and putting together a character, I'm intrigued.

Well that can't be a bad thing! :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've just written the barbarian, added the berserker as a new one (with barbarian as prerequisite - it allowed me to divorce the barbarian from the raging archetype).

I'm working on ranger now. Again, trying to Aragorn it more than Drizzt it.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
The rules say that you get hindrances from having an attribute of 1 and indirectly state that some traditions cause certain attributes to drop (but you can't drop an attribute below 1). None of the traditions included appear to cause an attribute to fall (there are no negative modifiers) and I can't find any rules for dropping attributes to boost others upon character creation. So how exactly do you end up with a 1 in an attribute score?

Also, this system is very interesting so far...I am looking forward to the eventual playtest.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The rules say that you get hindrances from having an attribute of 1 and indirectly state that some traditions cause certain attributes to drop (but you can't drop an attribute below 1). None of the traditions included appear to cause an attribute to fall (there are no negative modifiers) and I can't find any rules for dropping attributes to boost others upon character creation. So how exactly do you end up with a 1 in an attribute score?

Also, this system is very interesting so far...I am looking forward to the eventual playtest.

Usually during play. Nearly dying has a 1-in-6 chance of causing attribute damage. Though I'm working so that a crappy attribute of 1 is actually an advantage - it makes playing imperfect characters attractive.

MarkB

Legend
You should have bunch more skills. You get 3 from being an orc.

PS

Thanks, I'd completely missed the racial skills. That does soften the impact of the double-heraldry requirement.

With those skills, I'd probably add another two ranks of longsword and put the third skill into either Lance, Marksman or Intimidate - and/or trade out my existing Longsword skill for Riding.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Skill-profusion confusion (emphasis added in each case):

page 15:
THE PROCESS "1. Choose a race and record starting attributes and two skills."
page 18: "Once you have selected your race, record your starting age, starting attributes, and choose three from the list of available skills. SKills in BOLD are mandatory. Each race also has. . . ."

So: Does a character's race grant two or three skills?
(Or does the three represent the skills taken from the Starter tradition?)

My human necromancer (in an earlier post) took two skills for being human. I may have done that incorrectly.

Remove ads