Clothing styles or items you wish would come back

Zombie_Babies

First Post
So you can have a 200-round drum for a machine gun, but not for a semi-automatic weapon? Sure, that makes perfect sense.

Yup, pretty much. It also totally makes sense that my friend can use the mags while I can't because his gun has a shorter barrel.

This is what happens when people who don't know anything about what they're writing legislation for get their legislation passed. Oh, thanks for clearing that other stuff up. Saved me a long post. :p

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
This is what happens when people who don't know anything about what they're writing legislation for get their legislation passed. Oh, thanks for clearing that other stuff up. Saved me a long post. :p

Let's keep in mind that ignorance on the regulation side isn't the only thing going on. When regulations are written they specifically have to solicit comments and respond to them before rules can be finalized - which means they can receive a substantial education on the issues being regulated.

But once those rules are written and posted, manufacturers and designers get to work on new models that skirt the regulations as written. And that's partly how you get models with shortened barrels that get around a rule despite the weapons being, at the fundamentals, the same.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Let's keep in mind that ignorance on the regulation side isn't the only thing going on. When regulations are written they specifically have to solicit comments and respond to them before rules can be finalized - which means they can receive a substantial education on the issues being regulated.

But once those rules are written and posted, manufacturers and designers get to work on new models that skirt the regulations as written. And that's partly how you get models with shortened barrels that get around a rule despite the weapons being, at the fundamentals, the same.

They can receive an education, sure, but they don't. Diane Feinstein had all the time in the world to learn the difference between a clip and a magazine and automatic and semi-automatic - she was a gun banner for Billy Clinton, after all - but she's still as ignorant as ever and still leading the charge.

As for manufacturers circumventing bans, well, there's honestly not a whole lot they can do if you actually understand what the limits are. You can't put a 30 round magazine up for sale if the cap is 20. You can't make a gun automatic if that's against the law. And as for barrel length, how the hell could you possibly get away with making a barrel shorter than 16" and selling it as though it were actually 16"? The Feds know how to use a ruler, you know. All that 'they can just get around it' is fear mongering BS.

The limits, for the most part, are quantifiable. There are certain things that certainly can be gotten around but they're also wholly irrelevant to function. One stipulation that's super easy (and was actually enforced during the Clinton ban) is a bayonet lug. How many people have you heard of have been murdered by a buy with a rifle who stabbed them to death with a bayonet? So manufacturers simply took them off. Another is a pistol grip. How does that make a gun more lethal? Simply change the stock design. But who cares about that? It doesn't do any harm - all it does is showcase the rampant stupidity among those that write these laws. They ban guns based on features that they think are scary rather than anything tangible. If they bothered to learn anything they'd understand that a flash suppressor doesn't do anything all that dangerous. Hell, they'd understand that an AR15 with a 10" barrel still isn't all that easily concealed and that 'silencers' don't actually silence anything but do have positive benefits for hunters and home defense weaponry. But hey, ban 'em cuz they're scary. Ban 'automatic' weapons even though they've been NFA only since 1934. Ban 30 round clips even though the 'assault weapons' you're terrified of use magazines. Hell, ban 'assault weapons' even though more people are murdered each year by fists. Meh ...

You say they can get educated, I say they don't want to. The evidence is on my side.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Real-world politics (like what makes good gun regulation, and the sausage-making thereof) is not really appropriate for this board, folks.

How about we stick to clothing styles, please and thank you.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I used to hate corduroy pants as a kid, but as an adult, I've had a few causal pairs that were likely the most comfortable pants I've ever owned. A shame they're only cool to hipsters now.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
I never understood why tramp-stamps and plumber's crack was supposed to be fashionable for women. Especially considering what it looks like on men.
Yuck.

But then again, I never considered Tats interesting or sexy.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I used to hate corduroy pants as a kid, but as an adult, I've had a few causal pairs that were likely the most comfortable pants I've ever owned. A shame they're only cool to hipsters now.

I cannot wear corduroy pants...if i do, I start fires.:blush:

*voopah**voopah**voopah**voopah*

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Cloaks. It would be cool to have a thick woolen cloak to wear in bad weather or at night. And by extension ponchos, like Clint Eastwood wears them in some of his Westerns.

Speaking of which ... where would one get a good cloak? They seem quite scarce.

I have thought that a thick cloak would be a nice and cozy overwrap. Is there a practical reason for not wearing them?

Thx!

TomB

Remove ads