Somewhere else...

Binks

Explorer
The last shot to the head has taken its toll and you're mind is foggy *.

* I'm going to need an Primary Skill Endurance check at the medium DC. If you fail at this you will start this encounter Bloodied. If you succeed then you are just down a Healing Surge worth of HPs. If you wish to attempt to parlay, you can do so by deploying a relevant skill. Nonetheless, you will need to roll initiative. If it escalates to combat, I will attach a battle map.

[sblock]My Endurance modifier is + 9. I rolled a 7. Total 16. That exceeds the medium DC.[/sblock]

Looks like I'm going in only down a surge worth of HPs.

You know not how long this goes on but the sensory information of granular silt, assuredly washed ashore during flooding, brings you back. Your face and chest, pressed against it, feels its warmth as you claw yourself with one hand out of the river and absent-mindedly bring your damaged raft with your other hand.

A voice, in an ugly form of broken common, abruptly stirs you to alertness, "Looks a meat to go with thems taters we ripped from them river folk. Course after I have her first..." The feel of cold metal under your chin draws your eyes upward. A grungy fellow with a scraggly beard, smelling of all manner of filth, looks down at you through a mostly toothless, grotesque smile. Behind him are 4 men, one relieving himself against a tree while the other 3 are setting up camp.

Rapers and thieves cannot be dealt with rationally. They understand force only. I am happy to oblige. He said that they stole from "river folk." What luck. I will leave this one alive to tell me more.

Shaking the cobwebs from my head, I explode into action.

My initative is 21 (7 modifier + 14 roll). My actions will depend mostly on whether this guy is a minion or not but also on the terrain elements, NPC initiative, and positioning so I'll await the battlemap to declare actions. My Passive Perception is 24 (exceeds high DC). Do I see any ranged weapons on these guys?

My Passive Perception is 24 (exceeds high DC). Do I see any ranged weapons on these guys?

All of them are armed with crudely-shaped iron long knives/short swords. S wields a short spear with a jagged iron tip that can be used for throwing. L has a shortbow strung over his shoulder. None of the Ms (Minions) have any standard ranged weapons. They could improvise and clumsily throw their long knives/short swords.

They are all aware of your presence but they don't seem to be concerned enough to move with haste. L, who is relieving himself in the back, is casually finishing the job although he does turn around to expose himself. The others, who are setting up camp and attending to the stew, casually stop what they are doing and prepare to come over and take a look.

My initiative is 21 (7 modifier + 14 roll). My actions will depend mostly on whether this guy is a minion or not but also on the terrain elements, NPC initiative, and positioning so I'll await the battlemap to declare actions.

Below is all of the relevant terrain, hazard info and the battlemap with the positioning. Ms (as you know) are always Minions. The man standing over you is an M. Your initiative is good to earn you first goes. What I would like to do is please just outline your post with "Round 1" and the attendant actions and then edit it for subsequent actions with "Round 2", etc. I will edit this post.

One last thing. While you are prostrate in the fiction, you are not prone mechanically (so you don't need to spend an action to resolve prone status). Your cost for failure is a Healing Surge worth of damage, not further loss in the Action Economy.

If you have any further questions, let me know.

Initiative Order:

Saeri Woodwalker (you are the Orange S on the map)
L
M (switched with L)
S (he is, of course, the Red S on the map)

Terrain Features (sblocking for space)
:

[sblock]

TREES - Can be climbed at easy DC and their squares provide partial concealment and cover.

TREE DEBRIS AND YOUR RAFT (debris is just to your north with the triangles and your raft is the brown square) - Difficult terrain.

TENTS (SINGLE USE TERRAIN)
Standard Action
Check: Athletics check (moderate DC) to maneuver one creature adjacent to you into the tent, ropes and stakes.
Attack: Level +3 vs. Reflex
Hit: The character takes 1d4 damage and is immobilized and grants combat advantage to all attackers (save ends both).
Miss: The character is slowed (save ends).

BOILING STEW-POT ON SPIT (SINGLE USE TERRAIN)

Standard Action
Requirement: You must be adjacent to the stew-pot.
Check: Athletics check (medium DC) to kick over the stew-pot.
Success: The stew-pot spills its contents.
Target: Each creature in a close blast 2 from the stew-pot
Attack: Level +3 vs. Reflex
Hit: Ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends).

RUSHING RIVER
Hazard: The squares directly adjacent to shore are not in the hazard but are difficult terrain. The rest of the river is waist deep and challenging terrain. When already in the water, with a successful Athletics check (medium DC) and a move action, the creature can move normally. On a failure, the creature falls prone and takes 3 damage.
Trigger: The river attacks when a creature enters or begins its turn in a square of the river.
Attack: Opportunity Action Melee
Target: Creature in the river
Attack: +8 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1d6 damage and the creature is pushed 2 squares and knocked prone.
Miss: The creature is pushed 2 squares.

Countermeasures: With a successful Acrobatics check (medium DC) and a move action, a character can enter the river without provoking its attack. If the check fails or the character moves more than 1 square, the river attacks.

[/sblock]

Edit 1: @Binks , those actions are good (the AP > Boiling stew-pot attack is fine). All 3 of those attacks precisely hit their target numbers so no need to deploy Elven Accuracy. Go ahead and narrate your round in quoteblocks. I'll perform the suite of actions for the remaining enemies this evening and update the map.

Round 1

M in H3

The man who initially acosted you is out of the fight and writhing in pain on the ground, lame with a severed patella tendon.

M in H11 automatically takes 5 ongoing fire damage from the boiling stewpot.

The gruff man tending the fire lets out a bloodcurdling scream when the boiling water of the stewpot boils the flesh away from his face and throat. The unnerving wailing sends two of his companions running for cover.

M in G9

[sblock]

Minor Action: Draw Longknife.

Standard Action: Longknife Ranged Basic Attack at Long Range + 8. Rolled 14. - 2 to attack due to your cover in the tree. Total 20 misses your AC 23.

Move Action: Move to K8 and hunker down behind the tent where he has Superior Cover (- 5 to attack) versus you.

[/sblock]

The wild-eyed, bone-thin man stewing the pot has little time to react before two of his comrades are either cut down or boiling alive. Their screams send him into panic as he throws his weapon end over end. It crashes against the dense foliage to no effect. His huffing gasps barely stifle his terror until he unconsciously shouts "I don't want to die!" He is clearly a cowardly sort.

L in G14

[sblock]

Minor Action: Draws bow.

Standard Action: "Covering Fire" +10 vs AC and move rider on S. Ranged Basic Attack with Shortbow and S can shift 2 squares. Ranged Basic Attack + 10. Rolled a 7. - 2 to hit for cover. Total 15 misses your AC 23. S moves to S9.

Move Action: Moves to F13 and maintains a position where he can fire or provide orders. He has Cover (-2 to hit).

[/sblock]

The shirtless man in the back doesn't bother to relace his trousers after relieving himself. He draws a bow and moves to cover as he sneers "gutless coward" at the man grovelling for his life behind the tent. As his arrow rattles harmlessly through the trees he shouts to the mountain of a man who seems to be uninterested in the boiling water on his legs: "Bring her to me!" The huge man bursts into action at the command.

S in F9 (after "Covering Fire")

[sblock]

Minor Action: Grab Short Spear leaning against tent.

Standard Action: "Heaved Spear" at Short Range + 10 vs AC. Rolled 16. - 2 for Cover. Hits your AC of 23. 9 damage and you are pushed 1 square.

** I need an Athletics check at Easy DC and a Saving Throw. If you fail the Athletics check you can "try to catch hold" as a Free Action @ DC 16. If you fall the Saving Throw, you fall from the tree. If you pass the ST, you are prone in the tree.

Move Action: If you fall, he will engage you where you land. If you pass, he will climb the tree (he auto-passes the easy DC) and be among branches 10 feet below you. *** Update - Athletics and Saving Throw passed by Saerie. She is prone in the tree so S will climb the tree after her.

Saving Throw versus 5 OG fire: 16. Success.

[/sblock]

@Binks I'll wait to narrate S's turn until you ** roll your Saving Throw and Athletics check. As above, he will be climbing the tree if you pass or engaging in melee if you fall. *** Update - Athletics and Saving Throw passed by Saerie. She is prone in the tree so S will climb the tree after her.

The hulking brute takes his free hand and pulls his wild hair out of his face while he grabs his short spear with the other. He looks more bear than man as he pulls his throwing arm back and lets fly. The mightily thrown spear slams into the branch holding Saerie, actually sending the branch backward with its velocity. The tree groans but the branch holds. Saerie is taken from her feet and lands hard onto the branch, winding her, but she is able to wrap both arms around it before she falls to the ground.

Defiantly, he snorts, as a bull, and rushes up the tree, as an athletic gibbon might.

Round 2

@Binks Round 2 battlemap uploaded. Just need you to add your narration for your first round, take your 2nd round suite of actions and narrate them. Initiative will proceed as above.

M delays in fear until after L

L (should be in) F 13 behind the tent

[sblock]

Minor Action: "Emboldening Words" Encounter Power on M in K8. 10 temporary hit points for M.

Standard Action: "Covering Fire" +10 vs AC and move rider on S. Ranged Basic Attack with Shortbow and S climbs 5 feet further up the tree. Ranged Basic Attack + 10. Rolled an 18. - 2 to hit for cover cancelled out by CA due to you having to balance out on that limb. Total 28 hits your AC 23 (**** I need an Acrobatics check at the medium DC or you fall 30 ft to the ground and are prone). 11 damage and S moves 1 square vertically.

[/sblock]

"Renny. You get up in that tree or after I deal with her...I'm dealing with you..." As he lets another arrow fly he shouts triumphantly "Got her!"

@Binks I'll wait to narrate S's turn until you **** roll your Acrobatics check. *** Update - Acrobatics check passed by Saerie.

M in K8

[sblock]

Move Action: Moves to G10.

Minor Action: Grabs the Longknife from the belt of his fallen companion.

Move Action: Moves 2 squares to F8. 13 total Athletics check. He begins to climb; 4 squares or 10 feet.

If you fall from **** then you're prone in F10. If so, he uses a Standard Action to MBA with his Longknife and misses with a 14 total. - disregard.

[/sblock]

Tentatively, the man steps out of cover, stays low and dashes over to his dead companion. He poaches the longknife from his belt and rushes to the tree to begin his ascent. Clearly he is more afraid of his leader than he is of you.

S 15 feet (3 squares) up (after "Covering Fire") in the tree in F8

[sblock]

Move Action: Automatic Athletics check. He climbs his speed (6) and moves the 3 squares to get to your branch (30 feet up).

Standard Action: Charge and MBA "Smash and Grab". Acrobatics check + 5, rolled 8, equals 13. This fails the medium DC but not by 5 or more. He moves the 1st square of the Charge (costs 2 squares of his speed due to the DT), can’t move any farther on the surface as part of the current action, but he doesn’t fall.

[/sblock]

The large man swifly navigates the remaining 15 feet between your branch and himself. Throwing caution to the wind, he begins a rush toward you. A mistep, some wildly swaying arms and he catches himself. He can pursue you no further as he regains his balance.

Round 3

@Binks , good deal. Its a good idea. In future combats, just roll 10 d20s (for things like forced Acrobatics/Athletics, STs, et al) for my use and I'll use them in succession on my turns as required.

I'm not going to attach another battlemap. The positioning as follows:

L starts in F13 behind the tent.
You and S are 30 feet up in the tree over squares F10 and F9 respectively.
M is 10 feet up the tree in F8.

L delays until S goes

M on tree 10 feet up

[sblock]

Move Action: Run Action and passes the Athletics check (6 mod + 14) and moves 20 feet further up into the tree a series of branches that intersect yours in an attempt to flank you with S.

Move Action: Acrobatics check + 3. 3 + 6 equals 9, 6 less than the Medium DC. He falls to his death despite his 10 temporary HPs..

[/sblock]

The terrified man scales the distance to the tree limb where the duel is taking place, presumably spurred on by adrenaline and fear of his master. He carefully squares up a path around a series of branches to flank you with his companion. He places the longnife in his teeth and takes a step. And then two. His third step is the last he will take in this world as the sickening thud his body makes when greeted by terra firma is clearly audible.

M is dead.

S 30 feet up on the limb, 10 feet from you and L spurring S on

[sblock]

S - Move Action: Acrobatics check + 5. 5 + 16 passes the Medium DC. He is in melee range.

L - Standard Action: "Leader of the Pack" gives S an MBA as a Free Action. S's MBA is "Smash and Grab" + 8 vs Fort. 8 + 8 + 2 (for CA) equals 18 and is a hit. However...

Free Action (Saeri): "Drakescale Armor of Eyes" encounter power to cancel CA for this attack. The attack misses at 16 vs 17 Fort.

S - Standard Action: "Smash and Grab" + 8 vs Fort. 8 + 16 is 24 which exceeds your 17 Fort. You take 13 damage and you are grabbed. Saeri Acrobatics check 16 (+ 10 = 26) succeeds versus the medium DC so she doesn't fall.

S - Minor Action: Drop from the tree to the ground with the grabbed Saerie. Saeri Saving Throw to fall prone and avoid falling with S; 6 fails. S and Saeri fall 30 feet to the ground. Each are prone and they take 18 (3d10) damage.

[/sblock]

The large man carefully puts one foot in front of another and reaches striking range. When he is close, the leader of this gang calls out "take her out!" The burly human aggresively reaches out to grab you by the shoulders. Your bow is up once, twice, several times in response, parrying multiple attempts to grab you. The sting on his hands causes him to respond with renewed ferocity. Through clenched teeth, he growls and barrels into you. His tackle slams into your ribs. You feel your feet taken from you and you're momentarily shocked as the two of you are cascading through the trees, slamming into branches which serve to somewhat break the fall. The earth rushes up to meet you. Flat on your back, you gasp to replenish the air stolen from your breast. You hear the sound of the man's own chest heaving, laboring hard after barely surviving the fall.

Round 4

The man with the unfastened trousers looks around and listens. He calls the names of the men he leads. No answer. The man near the river has passed out from the pain at this point. The others are likely dead or soon to be. The woman who slaughtered them has vanished into the woods, no doubt stalking him. He takes a false step thinking to check on his friends or gather some of their items pilfered from the village. Then good sense and terror take hold of him as he doesn't want to expose himself to a hail of arrows. He turns and bolts for the forest, making thrashing sounds in the thick brush as he goes.

[sblock]His Passive Perception is insufficient to see you and his Minor Action attempt is even lower (rolled 7). You are hidden from him.[/sblock]

At this point, combat has ended. You're capable of seeing the man hastily flee into the woodlands behind him. If you wish to pursue, let me know. If not, let me know what you wish to do. The man that you wished to keep alive is passed out near the shore.

Whatever you do, this successful combat and your Endurance check immediately preceeding it have earned you 2 successes in the Skill Challenge you initiated at the beginning of the day.

5/8 success (1 high DC)1/3 failure1 advantage remaining

Attachments

• RIVER COMBAT ROUND 1.pdf
    770 KB · Views: 167
  • RIVER COMBAT ROUND 2.pdf
    774.6 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

Binks

Explorer
All of them are armed with crudely-shaped iron long knives/short swords. S wields a short spear with a jagged iron tip that can be used for throwing. L has a shortbow strung over his shoulder. None of the Ms (Minions) have any standard ranged weapons. They could improvise and clumsily throw their long knives/short swords.

Perfect. Elves are at home in the trees. I think I'll go Rambo on these guys and snipe them from cover/concealment.

What I would like to do is please just outline your post with "Round 1" and the attendant actions and then edit it for subsequent actions with "Round 2", etc. I will edit this post.

Got it. Ok, below is my turn. If anything is off/wrong or a problem, let me know and I'll change it.

ROUND 1

[sblock]

Minor Action: Mobile Blade Stance.

Standard Action: Attack the guy in front of me. He is a minion but I do not want this attack to kill him. I just want it to incapacitate him for the rest of the fight so I can find out more of these "River People" after the fight. If they can help and he stole from them, perhaps the "River People" will better hear my plea if I bring them a raider of their foodstuffs for justice.

Dagger (stabbing behind and dislodging his kneecap) + 12 to hit. I rolled a 7. That is a 19 total. If that doesn't hit AC then I'll use Elven Accuracy (if it hits, obviously I won't use it). I rolled a 13 on the EA so that would certainly hit if the initial roll does not.

Free Action: Mobile Blade Stance - Move 4 squares to G6.

Move Action: I'm assuming that I need to be in F6, 7, or 8 to climb the tree. I'm going to use Mighty Sprint (Move Action for + 5 Athletics and Move + 4). My Athletics modifier is 14 with Mighty Sprint which automatically passes the Low DC (and the medium with a 1...which I rolled). Move 1 square to F7 and then I have 4 squares to climb vertically (climb at 1/2 speed with 9 left). I'm 20 feet up in the tree.

Free Action: Quick Swap feature - Draw my Bow.

Action Point: Here is what I'm wanting to do. I'm hopeful that I can use the boiling stew-pot at range. I want to dislodge, or damage, one of the supporting wooden forks for the spit with a well-placed arrow. I could trivially pass an Athletics check if I was adjacent to it and I'm assuming that a bowshot to invoke the terrain is a much more difficult roll.

1) My roll is a 16. My bow attack is + 11. 27 surely hits (the south fork supporting the spit). If this works I want to use the Boiling Stew-Pot Blast 2 on G11/12 and H11/12.

2) My 1st Attack vs Reflex (on S) is an 8. 8 + 9 = 17. My 2nd Attack vs Reflex (on M) is 10. 10 + 9 is 19.

If I can't do that then I'll just shoot (and kill as 27 surely hits) the Minion in G9.

[/sblock]

"River Folk"? Perhaps this what I'm looking for. If these River Folk are friendly and this band stole from them, maybe they will better hear my plea if I bring them a raider of their foodstuffs for justice. I likely look the part of an easy target to this marauder. That is until I bury a dagger from my belt behind his kneecap, incapacitating him for the rest of the fight. I'll see if he values that knee when this is over.

I spring to my feet, slipping into the rhythm of the battle as I leave his screams behind me. As I explode up into the tree, bounding toward the taller branches, I draw my bow. Gathered around that boiling stewpot, the lot of them seem an easy target. They reach for weapons but it is too late for them. One of the forks for the spit isn't stable. I aim for it and my arrow is true. The contents of the pot erupt all over two of them. The ghastly moans of one tell me I have only three left to deal with.

@Binks I'll wait to narrate S's turn until you ** roll your Saving Throw and Athletics check. As above, he will be climbing the tree if you pass or engaging in melee if you fall.

[sblock]Rolled 13 for Athletics and 17 for Saving Throw. I'm prone in the tree.[/sblock]

Round 2

He's running right into my trap. I'm going to take him out to the deep water and drown him. He may be able to climb, but this brutish fool cannot possibly balance on a a tree branch as well as I can. His Acrobatics check is surely poor. I want to get him higher up into the trees and then I'm going to duel him far out on the branch...and send him falling to his death. I can shift away in the difficult terrain of the foot wide branch and I can only fail the medium Acrobatics DC by 4 or less which means I cannot fall from moving (only stop moving). He'll have to keep coming after me...and have to keep passing Medium DC Acrobatics checks...I can fall from damage but I'm betting on him taking the plunge before me.

[sblock]

Minor Action: Hop to my feet with my Acrobat Boots.

Standard Action: Ranged Basic Attack with my bow on S. I rolled a 17. That is a 27 total (surely a hit). I rolled a 7 to damage. 7 + 10 is 17 total damage.

Free Action: Mobile Blade Stance 4 squares of movement to climb up 2 squares (10 more feet so 30 feet total off the ground and 3d10 fall damage). My Athletics check is a 7. 7 + 9 is 16 which exceeds the medium DC.

Move Action: I'm going to move out 10 feet onto the branch so that S has to move out there to engage me. This costs me 4 of my 6 squares of movement. I rolled a 16 on my Acrobatics check which passes the medium DC by itself.

Free Action: Quick Swap class feature. Put Bow away and draw my Great Sword.

[/sblock]

The fool is falling into my trap. He shrugs the arrow off that I embed into his shoulder just as he shrugged off the boiling stewpot. But he is just a man. Being unflinching before pain doesn't save you from death's embrace.

After I've climbed a bit further up, I've located the perfect branch for this deadly dance. I beckon him to me with a sneer as I empty my scabbard. My elven steel feels perfectly balanced, just as I am as I back out onto the branch, sure of foot.

(**** I need an Acrobatics check at the medium DC or you fall 30 ft to the ground and are prone).

**** Rolled a 16 which passes the medium DC by itself without my + 10.

Round 3

[sblock]

Free Action: Quick Swap class feature. Sheathing my sword and drawing bow since he couldn't navigate the treacherous branch.

Minor Action: Battle Wrath Stance (+ 2 BA damage).

Standard Action: RBA + 11. He gives up CA as I do so another + 2. Rolled a 5. I suspect that a he is a Brute and that an 18 hits his lower AC target number. If not, I use Elven Accuracy reroll for a 22 total. That should hit. I'm going to use one of my Power Attacks (No Action) and hopefully he fails his Acrobatics check and falls. 2d10 + 12 = 23 damage.

Minor Action: I'm bloodied; 24 HPs out of 58. I'm using '"Iron Resurgence" Encounter power. Lose a Healing Surge to spend 2 Healing Surges and gain 7 temporary HPs. I'm now at 52 HPs and 7 temp HPs.

[/sblock]

Changing this a bit. Forgot about going in down a healing surge so I'm bloodied after the last successful attack.

Just as I suspected. As the big man teeters precariously on the branch, inches from a meeting with his maker, lightning fast I stow my sword and draw my bow. An arrow fluidly finds its way to the string as I set myself for some extra draw. The arrow is true, center mass. If the big man keeps his feet, he still has 10, very dangerous, feet of unsteady branch to cross before he I send him to his grave.

The last arrow clanged off my shoulder epaulette and shattered. The shrapnel stung my face. I feel blood drip onto my lips from a cut on my forehead. Trivial, but I love new battle scars...the thought brings a wicked smile to my face and I'm renewed by the unnerved look in the big man's eye.

@Manbearcat , I figure it might be good if I give you a few d20s in advance in case I have to roll Acrobatics checks or Saving Throws in whatever order.

d20 rolls - 16, 6, 5.

Also, if someone hits me due to having Combat Advantage, I'm going to use my Drakescale Armor of Eyes Encounter Power. It is a Free Action that lets me cancel CA for the triggering attack.

Round 4

I'm at 28 HP with no temp HP after the fall.

[sblock]

Minor Action: Stand from prone with Acrobatics Boots.

Free Action: Class Feature Quick Swap; stow bow and draw greatsword.

Standard Action: MBA on the prone S. Rolled a 2. That is an 18 total with CA. I'm sure that hits. 6 + 14 = 20 damage. I suspect that kills him. If not, then my 2nd Power Strike would give me 3 more.

Move Action: Move to B9 and make a Stealth check - 5 (for moving further than 2 squares). I'm sure there is cover and concealment in those woods. Check is modifier 6 (11 - 5) + roll 11 = 17 Stealth.

[/sblock]

Swiftly getting to my feet with the aid of my magical boots, I grasp my ribs as a sharp pain assails me. The pain passes as quickly as it came and I pull my sword from its scabbard. The man at my feet barely tries to rise before I drive my sword through his chest, sending him to a, hopefully harsh, afterlife. As I'm doing so I make sure that I have eye-contact with the man with the bow hiding cowardly behind the tent. As the man below me issues his death rasps, I quietly say "cowards always are the last to die..." Swift as a wolf I dash for the woods to my left, slinking behind its covering foliage.

Last edited:

Binks

Explorer
At this point, combat has ended. You're capable of seeing the man hastily flee into the woodlands behind him. If you wish to pursue, let me know. If not, let me know what you wish to do. The man that you wished to keep alive is passed out near the shore.

I wish to pursue.

As I skulk ghostly through the tree-line, I look near the shore. With that single glance, I confirm that the man near my raft is unconscious and incapacitated. I'll deal with him when I'm done with this. I can't let this man go free. Who knows how large his clan of marauders may be and I'm all alone in an unknown area, no allies, and several children as my charges.

Years on the hunt in the forest has shown me all of the natural pathways for the stealthiest route, be it through the trees or foot-padding the unforgiving trails. I attune my senses to the crunch of leaves, the sway of foliage disturbed, and the labored breathing of prey. He is as clumsy as a stuck boar. I head in that direction.

The trees give way to a tender sloping hill. I see a series of tall trees overlooking the gully that he appears to be making all haste toward. I move with the speed and silence of a stalking panther, making a beeline for a tree that overlooks his course which is taking him directly away from its tall trunk. A shot from behind with a target moving directly away from you is infinitely easier than a shot with the target moving horizontal to your line of sight.

[sblock]Perception is 30 (16 rolled + 14 modifier).

Stealth is 34 (18 rolled + 11 modifier + I used my Essence of the Scout Daily; + 5 power bonus to Stealth).

Athletics is only a 12 (3 rolled + 9 modifier. I assume that Mighty Sprint isn't refreshed as even though this is a new scene, there has been 0 downtime.).[/sblock]

Obviously the Perception and Stealth succeed by the Athletics fails at the medium DC. I eagerly await your complication!

I wish to pursue.

I can't let this man go free. Who knows how large his clan of marauders may be and I'm all alone in an unknown area, no allies, and several children as my charges.

Given the above motivations and intent, I think its fair to say that your expectation is that this conflict affects your aims overall and your specific aims in getting the children to safety. It will have mechanical implications for your present Skill Challenge. We will treat it as a nested Complexity 1 Skill Challenge with 1 success or failure in the greater challenge at stake. Your Stealth and your Perception both pass the high DC. Even though I'm using C1, this is going to be a very difficult challenge. It will require 3 successes at the high DC, of which you have earned 2. You'll earn C3 XP.

Obviously the Perception and Stealth succeed by the Athletics fails at the medium DC. I eagerly await your complication!

The climb to the top of the tree overlooking the descent to the gully is easy enough. You have a clear shot. Just as you draw your bow from your shoulder, your prey takes a measured jump down into a crevice in the rocky hardpan at the base of the gully. Now out of your line of sight, he has fully vanished into the earth.

I assume you're pursuing. The ravine was once a bed for water but has long since dried and the earth is cracked, sometimes deeply. It is pretty open with another cliff, with obscuring foliage the same as this one, aligning it on the opposing side. Looking down onto it, the former reservoir bed has enough healthy ground cover to easily support an old cave system.

Let me know how you wish to proceed.

2/4 successes (2/3 high DCs)1/3 failures

Last edited:

Binks

Explorer
Manbearcat said:
I assume you're pursuing.

You assume correctly.

I smirk as I watch my prey run and hide. Let him think himself safe. Although he may know these lands better, he is no match for my brains, er, skill. With agile grace I drop from my perch on the tree and swiftly run to the crevice where the man disappeared. Silently, I study the rocky entrance and look for signs of passage, frequency of use, slope or features of the tunnel system, hoping to discern the most likely route he took.

[sblock] My dungeoneering is a 8. I rolled a 16. 16+8=24
[/sblock]

Silently, I study the rocky entrance and look for signs of passage, frequency of use, slope or features of the tunnel system, hoping to discern the most likely route he took.

My dungeoneering is a 8. I rolled a 16. 16+8=24

Your dungeoneering is sufficient to pass the High DC.
3/4 succcesses (3/3 high DCs)
1/3 failures
When you arrive at the base of the gully, it is immediately clear that this is a well traversed area. Shallow, humanoid prints litter the hardpan to and from the mouth of the crevice. Inside you find a not-so-gently sloping jaunt down to a cavern floor illuminated here and there by sunshine spilling through random cracks in the ground cover of the gully hardpan above you.

The sound of running water signifies an underground river cutting through the shallow cavernous complex further in. The sound of it tells you that it mirrors the course of the above ground river. If so, it would make an ideal base of operation for surface raids. A tunnel , scantly lit bit the flitting sun squeezing through stray cracks, narrows up ahead. The water is coming from there.

There are a few extremlely narrow cracks, vents, and chimneys which a man could barely squeeze through but you're certain your prey didn't go there. His eyes are not as keen to move through here as yours so he would have needed a torch. Beyond the signs from the geography of the cave itself, two things further denote his obvious passage toward the water. At the entrance to that tunnel is a small scrap of parrafin-soaked fabric, torn hastily to make a torch. Secondly, as you begin to make your way through the narrowed cavern, you see a series of tripwires set to trigger lethal deadfalls (varying sized, large rocks or a pile of them). Only someone who knows these caverns well could navigate that deathtrap. You can pick them out easily with your moonlight-attuned vision, but as the cavern randomly narrows, ascends and descends, it gets extremely difficult to avoid them. Clearly, someone (or a group of people) have spent considerable effort to defend this area from intruders.

[sblock]I'm going to need a Thievery check or you're going to need to deploy some means to deal with the series of trip-wired deadfalls that greet you.[/sblock]

Binks

Explorer
Manbearcat said:
At the entrance to that tunnel is a small scrap of parrafin-soaked fabric, torn hastily to make a torch. Secondly, as you begin to make your way through the narrowed cavern, you see a series of tripwires set to trigger lethal deadfalls (varying sized, large rocks or a pile of them). Only someone who knows these caverns well could navigate that deathtrap. You can pick them out easily with your moonlight-attuned vision, but as the cavern randomly narrows, ascends and descends, it gets extremely difficult to avoid them. Clearly, someone (or a group of people) have spent considerable effort to defend this area from intruders. I'm going to need a Thievery check or you're going to need to deploy some means to deal with the series of trip-wired deadfalls that greet you.

I pick up the parrafin soaked fabric and place it in my pack. My keen eyes still pick up the minutest details even in the dim light. I am able to see faint criss-crossing pattern of the wires through the tunnel-- a web waiting to catch its fly.

I stand up and take a couple steps back toward the entrance of the cave. I don't want to give the man time to move too far ahead of me so he may lay a truly lethal trap. So, without hesitation, I take a running leap toward the maze of deadly wires. At the last minute, I leap through the air toward one side of the wall and ricochet from one wall to the next over the wire maze, using my legs to spring into a flying somersault twist.

[sblock]My acrobatics is a 10. I rolled a 19. 19+10 is 29[/sblock]

Easily cartwheeling and handspringing over the last few wires, I quietly land on my feet at the end of the tunnel and study my new surroundings. I am going to advance cautiously, seeking out my prey. What do I find?

My acrobatics is a 10. I rolled a 19. 19+10 is 29

Your SC is successful. Your pursuit leads you to your prey...he does not go free.

Easily cartwheeling and hand-springing over the last few wires, I quietly land on my feet at the end of the tunnel and study my new surroundings. I am going to advance cautiously, seeking out my prey. What do I find?

After you're free of the nasty web of trip-wired deadfalls you turn an aggressive and narrow bend in the tunnel which descends precipitously. A short, stooping crawl through a low tunnel spills you out into a larger tunnel, all the while the water whistles beyond your sight, deeper in. The man you are tailing didn't make it to the water.

Clearly he is no stranger to these caverns. Perhaps he himself set up the series of traps sometime before this hurried trek. Nonetheless, familiarity didn't save him. Flickering torchlight, threatening to go out on the cold stone floor, illuminates the chamber and the grisly scene within. The only things sticking out the pile of large rocks is a garishly battered arm and crooked leg. In his panicked haste he failed to register one final contingency trip-wire. He will not be rallying any comrades to threaten you or the children.

You can easily pick your way carefully through the series of trip-wires on the way back. What are you doing? Taking a Short Rest? Pushing forward? Heading back?

[MENTION=6775039]Binks[/MENTION] Departing from the game for a moment for a couple of mechanical things.

1) You had mentioned that you potentially wanted to move your bear to a companion character and take the "Ghost (whatever it is)" theme. If that is indeed the case, then go ahead and change your lead post with your character info with those changes.

2) We're at the point of play where Minor and Major Quests can be slated. Let us keep 3 rolling Minor Quests. I'm thinking:

a) Secure a safe, permanent redoubt for the children.
b) Determine where (when?) you are.
c) <insert something else here>

If you believe that you have a Major Quest at this point, I'll let you fill me in on your take on it.

Remove ads