Somewhere else...

Binks

Explorer
The only things sticking out the pile of large rocks is a garishly battered arm and crooked leg. In his panicked haste he failed to register one final contingency trip-wire. He will not be rallying any comrades to threaten you or the children.

You can easily pick your way carefully through the series of trip-wires on the way back. What are you doing? Taking a Short Rest? Pushing forward? Heading back?

I want to see if he has any currency or anything that may appear as currency. That may give a hint as to what/where this place/world is that I find myself. If he has any trail rations, foodstuffs, mundane equipment that stands out, anything that may signify who this marauding band is, I will secure that as well.

My purpose here is resolved. I'll head back to the surface as I don't have a lot of time to play around with here. I need to get back before the injured man that I mean to interrogate wakes up. He may be lame and easily trackable, but he may just as easily drown himself before I can get what I want out of him. I head back to the surface. However, I wish to carefully trigger every deadfall behind me. My hope is to hinder the use of these passages for any malicious purposes such as marauding vandals terrorizing the innocent. Hopefully triggering those deadfalls will make this passage nigh-impassable with all of the large boulders and debris blocking much of the way.

When I get back to the camp, I'm going to interrogate the guy I incapacitated. I'll place him in a seated position and tie him to a tree so he can't move. Assuming there is a bucket, pale, or any suitable baling implement, I'm going to take some of the cold river water and wake him abruptly. When he wakes, I'll be standing over him grim-faced. "You are a marauder. Marauders take as the can from those who have toiled greatly for their bounties. From whom have you taken?"

[sblock]My Intimidate is a 5. I rolled a 19. That is a 24 total.[/sblock]

I will update my character in the lead post when I take my next Extended Rest. For now, we'll go with what we have.

I want to see if he has any currency or anything that may appear as currency. That may give a hint as to what/where this place/world is that I find myself. If he has any trail rations, foodstuffs, mundane equipment that stands out, anything that may signify who this marauding band is, I will secure that as well.

You earn a success in your Skill Challenge for success in this nested challenge (as below).

He carries nothing discernible in terms of currency or mineral wealth. However, he does have a carved fishbone necklace of extraordinarily intricate craftsmanship. Its the kind of beautiful work you would expect only from a fisherman who has lived their entire life on a river or the sea. An artisan in the Feywild might earn 50 gold for such a piece. There is little chance a cretin such as this created such beauty and he certainly didn't barter for it.

My purpose here is resolved. I'll head back to the surface as I don't have a lot of time to play around with here. I need to get back before the injured man that I mean to interrogate wakes up. He may be lame and easily trackable, but he may just as easily drown himself before I can get what I want out of him. I head back to the surface. However, I wish to carefully trigger every deadfall behind me. My hope is to hinder the use of these passages for any malicious purposes such as marauding vandals terrorizing the innocent. Hopefully triggering those deadfalls will make this passage nigh-impassable with all of the large boulders and debris blocking much of the way.

Easily enough done. The deadfalls are triggered and the passage is littered, almost fully blocked, by partial ceiling collapse and a thorough littering of large boulders and debris.

When I get back to the camp, I'm going to interrogate the guy I incapacitated. I'll place him in a seated position and tie him to a tree so he can't move. Assuming there is a bucket, pale, or any suitable baling implement, I'm going to take some of the cold river water and wake him abruptly. When he wakes, I'll be standing over him grim-faced. "You are a marauder. Marauders take as the can from those who have toiled greatly for their bounties. From whom have you taken?"

[sblock]My Intimidate is a 5. I rolled a 19. That is a 24 total.[/sblock]

I will update my character in the lead post when I take my next Extended Rest. For now, we'll go with what we have.

Your Intimidate is successful at the high DC (if I wasn't watching you roll all of this stuff live, I would call you a liar or a witch).

The man is in obvious, terrible pain. The stress of his pain and the situation is making him sweat profusely. He isn't even attempting to try to wriggle free. He vomits on himself and begins to sob like a child. Your common is different from his own but you can communicate well enough:

"...I can take you there...its down the river...<sob and painful groan>...but underground is faster and safer...<wretch>"

If you left your dagger buried behind his kneecap, he begs you to take it out. Otherwise, he barely retains his consciousness.

7/8 successes (2 high DC)
1/3 failure
1 advantage remaining

Binks

Explorer
He carries nothing discernible in terms of currency or mineral wealth. However, he does have a carved fishbone necklace of extraordinarily intricate craftsmanship. Its the kind of beautiful work you would expect only from a fisherman who has lived their entire life on a river or the sea. An artisan in the Feywild might earn 50 gold for such a piece. There is little chance a cretin such as this created such beauty and he certainly didn't barter for it.

I'm going to take the intricate fishbone necklace and place it carefully in my pack, insulating it so that it will protected from any impacts. I suspect that someone in the river village will recognize its craftsmanship.

The man is in obvious, terrible pain. The stress of his pain and the situation is making him sweat profusely. He isn't even attempting to try to wriggle free. He vomits on himself and begins to sob like a child. Your common is different from his own but you can communicate well enough:

"...I can take you there...its down the river...<sob and painful groan>...but underground is faster and safer...<wretch>"

If you left your dagger buried behind his kneecap, he begs you to take it out. Otherwise, he barely retains his consciousness.

I unsheath the dagger from his kneecap. I don't want to hear him whimpering for the next several hours nor do I want him passing out in pain. And a moderate show of goodwill may ensure his cooperation.

"I've seen what is underground. You're a fool if you think I'll allow you to lead me into your clan's territory. We're taking the river."

I will give him some water and give him something to bind his own knee (his hands will be free but he will still be tied to the tree - I'm not binding his knee, he can do it himself). His hands will be bound after he finishes the task. I'll take a Short Rest, stretching out the shoulder I fell on, catching my breath, and gathering myself for the coming leg of the journey.

[sblock]I'll spend the 2 Healing Surges to get me to 56/58 HP. I'm down 7 Healing Surges so I only have 3 left. Need to ration them carefully at this point.[/sblock]

I leave the man bound there as I quickly seek out branches sufficient to enlarge the raft enough to carry a second passenger. I don't need it too large as I'm just going to tie him prone to it. We'll take the river, but my plan is to navigate the natural terrain carefully. When it's clear that we're heading into uncompromising rapids, dangerous falls, or possibly hostile territory (from pack predators, specifically avian or lycan), I'm going to bring the raft ashore and we'll hoof it. I'll slacken his bindings enough for him to walk but he will be pulling the raft as a sled, ensuring he has no prospect for escape. * As proof of my goodwill, I plan to take him to the village and give him to the village folk so they may give him their justice.

Much of my homeland resembles the geography of this territory. I'm going to lean on that familiarity throughout our jaunt.

[sblock]Using my remaining advantage to move the Nature DC down one.

Nature + 13. Rolled a 2. Total 15. That just hits the Medium DC.[/sblock]

Finally, unrelated to the conflict at hand, I'm going to trace the steps of this battle and make sure that any semblance of a clue as to its outcome and our egress has been erased from the land. I don't want any of his clan's marauders to figure out what happened here and where we went.

[sblock]Nature + 13. Rolled a 6. Total 19.[/sblock]

* I'm hopeful that he can walk - my intent wasn't to tear any ligaments or dislocate his knee (merely threaten the possibility of it and temporarily render him, painfully, lame) with this; "That is until I bury a dagger from my belt behind his kneecap, incapacitating him for the rest of the fight. I'll see if he values that knee when this is over."

Last edited:

1 - I'm going to take the intricate fishbone necklace and place it carefully in my pack, insulating it so that it will protected from any impacts. I suspect that someone in the river village will recognize its craftsmanship.

2 - As proof of my goodwill, I plan to take him to the village and give him to the village folk so they may give him their justice.

Ok. Sounds good.

Finally, unrelated to the conflict at hand, I'm going to trace the steps of this battle and make sure that any semblance of a clue as to its outcome and our egress has been erased from the land. I don't want any of his clan's marauders to figure out what happened here and where we went.

Ok. This is easily enough done with your check (succeeding at the Medium DC). You are confident you are thorough and leave no trace.

Much of my homeland resembles the geography of this territory. I'm going to lean on that familiarity throughout our jaunt.

[sblock]Using my remaining advantage to move the Nature DC down one.

Nature + 13. Rolled a 2. Total 15. That just hits the Medium DC.[/sblock]
This succeeds at the Medium DC (but only required the Easy due to your spent Advantage) Your Skill Challenge is successful. You now have XP commensurate with level 7. You haven't achieved an Extended Rest yet but you can go ahead and level your character up to 7. If you want, you can adjust your Theme now and move your Bear to a Companion Character (or you can wait until the Extended Rest as you initially had planned). See below for further PC build info.

The journey is long and winding and carries you through the rest of the day, deep into the evening hours. The rivers branch several times over but your captured prey guides you on the correct tributaries to take to reach your destination. As the waters meander down the mountain you have to pole to shore only once due to the vigor of the waters. The captured man limps and grumbles but he manages the dragging of the raft even when you both have navigate an unfriendly descent down a precarious switchback that threatens a lethal fall.

During that particular leg of the journey you saw signs of some scat and some tracks of a mountain lion. While the man pulled the sled down the switchbacks, you investigated, but always to keep him in your line of sight. The tracks revealed that the creature had been trailing you for some time, mimicking your route but on higher ground. You finally saw it, looking ethereal in the twilight mist. It was clearly stalking you so you pulled back your bow to either scare it off or fire a killing shot. Before you could do so, the silky sound of a bowstring caught your ears. The beast went down in a heap. Swiftly from some neighboring brush, another ethereal form appeared, clad in the colors and wear of a hunter. It ran in to claim its kill. As it did, the two vanished into nothingness...and you felt something surge over you...some deep and primal insight into the hunt and the kill. * If you shared this with the man (rather than keeping it to yourself) he reveals that he neither saw nor heard a thing.

The man lets you know you've arrived, and that is easily enough discerned, as the twilight hours gather to full-dark. A great moon is nearly full in the sky above you and it casts a glow upon the bay that stands before you. The river has widened dramatically as it empties its freshwater contents into the brackish bay. From your position you can see the inlet that leads from the sea to the bay. It is plenty wide to host a grand caravel or a large ship but there are no ships of that size in the bay. In the bay, itself, you take note of a few distinct things:

The first is a small, plateau island in the dead center with cliffs perhaps 10-15 feet high. From the looks of it, the raised nature of this island is artificial as it appears to have been built up and reinforced with stones by the people that dwell there. The pine trunks that make up the perimeter wall of the island are utterly covered in a horrendously sharp tanglethorn vine. Anyone attempting to lay siege to this island village would be in for a terrible time scaling those walls. There are crenels every 15 feet or so which give relief for archers or rock throwers to deploy their deadly wares from the battlements. There is an extremely tail gate of 25 foot pines that appears to allow vessels to enter and exit the fortified domain. Wooden structures with pitched roofs lie within. Smoke billows from multiple chimneys.

The second is that the beaches of the bay are dotted with small wooden structures with pitched roofs. Smoke also billows from several of these chimneys. There are no such battlements fortifying these structures from raiders.

Finally, out on the water you see a singular vessel. As you pole yourself near the mouth of the river and into the bay, you can hear the sounds of voices. A father is teaching his daughter to fish and her innocent laughter is hushed by her father. It is clear by his tone that his fear isn't that her laughter will spoil their opportunity at a catch. He runs her through a few dry-runs at casting until finally she gets one far out. Her celebratory squeal is cut short by a tentacle exploding out of the water near their small flatboat. She falls back on her rump and screams as several tentacles erupt from the water around the vessel, groping for the both of them...

Let me know what you plan to do with the above. You are on your raft, entering from the mouth of the river into the bay, roughly 200 ft (just within your long range with your bow; - 2 to hit at this range) from this vessel being attacked by the tentacles in the bay.

* If you wish, you may spend some of your newly acquired magic item budget on the below if you wish (For reference - Same as Corellon's Boon but with Ranger instead of Wizard)

Boon of The Hunter Twins - Level 3 Magic Item (Boon)

Properties: Choose 1 Ranger At-Will Exploit which uses a Ranged Weapon. You can use this as an Encounter Power.

Properties
: Choose 1 Ranger 1st level Encounter Exploit which uses a Ranged Weapon. You can use this as a Daily Power.

Last edited:

Binks

Explorer
You now have XP commensurate with level 7. You haven't achieved an Extended Rest yet but you can go ahead and level your character up to 7. If you want, you can adjust your Theme now and move your Bear to a Companion Character (or you can wait until the Extended Rest as you initially had planned). See below for further PC build info.

* If you wish, you may spend some of your newly acquired magic item budget on the below if you wish (For reference - Same as Corellon's Boon but with Ranger instead of Wizard)

Boon of The Hunter Twins - Level 3 Magic Item (Boon)

Properties: Choose 1 Ranger At-Will Exploit which uses a Ranged Weapon. You can use this as an Encounter Power.

Properties
: Choose 1 Ranger 1st level Encounter Exploit which uses a Ranged Weapon. You can use this as a Daily Power.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Saeri Woodwalker, level 7
Wood Elf, Fighter (Slayer)
Slayer Weapon Specialization Option: Sweeping Sword
Moonstruck Hunter (+2 to Perception)
Theme: Ghost of the Past

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 12, CON 13, DEX 18, INT 14, WIS 16, CHA 10

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 12, CON 13, DEX 15, INT 14, WIS 13, CHA 10

AC: 23 Fort: 17 Ref: 18 Will: 17
HP: 64 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 16 Speed: 7 Vision: Low Light

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +9, Endurance +9, Heal +11, History +10, Nature +13

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +10, Arcana +7, Bluff +5, Diplomacy +5, Dungeoneering +8, Insight +8, Intimidate +5, Perception +14, Religion +7, Stealth +11, Streetwise +5, Thievery +9

AT-WILL POWERS
Acrobat Boots
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Fighter Utility: Battle Wrath
Fighter Utility: Duelist's Assault
Fighter Utility: Mobile Blade

ENCOUNTER POWERS
Athletics Utility 6: Mighty Sprint
Boon of the Hunter Twins: Twin Strike
Drakescale Armor of Eyes
Elf Racial Power: Elven Accuracy
Ghost of the Past Utility: Guidance of the Past
Heal Utility 2: Iron Resurgence
Multiple Class Attack: Power Strike * 2 with Sweeping Sword
Second Wind

DAILY POWERS
Boon of the Hunter Twins: Fox's Cunning
Essence of the Scout

CLASS/RACE/THEME FEATURES
Fey Origin
Guidance of the Past + History 1 * free
Languages: Common, Elven, Goblin
Mighty Slayer
Quick Swap
Weapon Talent
Wild Step
Wood Elf Reactive Stealth

FEATS
Level 1: Melee Training (Dexterity)
Level 2: Learned Spellcaster
Level 2: Ritual Caster
Level 4: Master at Arms
Level 6: Jack of All Trades

ITEMS
Magic Greatsword +2
Longbow
Dagger
Drakescale Armor of Eyes +2
Essence of the Scout +1
Bracers of Mighty Striking (heroic tier)
Acrobat Boots
Ritual Scroll: Earthen Ramparts
Alchemical Silver * 2
Boon of the Hunter Twins (Boon)
Thieves' Tools
Adventurer's Kit

RITUAL BOOK
Bloom
Pass Without Trace
Traveler's Camouflage

====== End ======

- Updated character to level 7
- Took Boon of the Hunter Twins as a level 3 item (boon)
- Changed Theme to Ghost of the Past
- I'll update this post once we finish up my Bear Companion Character.

Binks

Explorer
Finally, out on the water you see a singular vessel. As you pole yourself near the mouth of the river and into the bay, you can hear the sounds of voices. A father is teaching his daughter to fish and her innocent laughter is hushed by her father. It is clear by his tone that his fear isn't that her laughter will spoil their opportunity at a catch. He runs her through a few dry-runs at casting until finally she gets one far out. Her celebratory squeal is cut short by a tentacle exploding out of the water near their small flatboat. She falls back on her rump and screams as several tentacles erupt from the water around the vessel, groping for the both of them...

Let me know what you plan to do with the above. You are on your raft, entering from the mouth of the river into the bay, roughly 200 ft (just within your long range with your bow; - 2 to hit at this range) from this vessel being attacked by the tentacles in the bay.

I act solely on instinct. That little girl must be protected. As I watch her father intercede on her behalf, batting away any threatening tentacles with the awkward fishing pole, I take heart. I'm not sure if the bay is shallow enough to pole the raft forward once I get into it but the pole still touches the soft bottom at the mouth of the river. Hoping the current will aid the craft's propulsion, I push with all my might. In a fluid motion I pull my bow from my shoulder. I take measure of my far-off prey, glistening and bathed in moonlight. As it does from time to time, my mind is momentarily assailed by an extra-worldly vision; a moment in a life not my own. I feel a breath as if I have taken it and a swirling vision of a pair of murky figures...they have a pair of children (I feel a powerful rage and maternal instinct...my children?...) that they are trying to thieve into the night. I let fly from my delicate bow in the vision just as I do in the real world. One tentacle is struck, so is another.

Initiative: 18 + 7 = 25

ROUND 1

[sblock]Move Action: Propel the raft forward with a push of the pole.

Minor Action: Battle Wrath Stance.

Free Action: Quick Swap - Draw Bow.

Free Action: Guidance of the Past Theme Power.

Standard Action: Twin Strike.

Arrow 1: 2d20 (15 and 16 for GotP) + 11 (- 2 for long range) = 24 and 25. Damage is 4 + 6 = 10 on the first tentacle.

Arrow 2: 1d20 (15) + 11 (- 2 for long range) = 24. Damage is 4 + 6 = 10 on the second tentacle.[/sblock]

I'm sure you'll let me know how many tentacles, the speed of the raft, if I need to make an Acrobatics or Athletics check. Edit - In case you need one, I rolled an 18.

Does the father appear to be coordinated in his defense of his child? I'm envisioning a warrior (I suspect most in this village are). The girl is a Minion, yes?

ROUND 2

[sblock]Free Action: Quick Swap - Stow Bow.

Move Action: Pole raft forward. Athletics 9 + 3 = 12. Didn't achieve medium DC so 3 speed.

Move Action: Pole raft forward. Athletics 9 + 9 = 18. Achieved medium DC so 5 speed.

8 speed + 6 current = 14 squares.[/sblock]

From my vantage it is clear that the father is a capable warrior. He seems to have the situation momentarily in hand and is clearly capable of protecting his daughter from the one tentacle remaining. I must cut the distance between myself and them for when whatever the tentacles are attached to shows itself. I will be beside them to cut it down even if I have to brave the dark waters myself.

Also, 2 consecutive encounters completed without Extended Rest so milestone achieved and AP refreshed, yes? I'm not using it now but just want to confirm.

ROUND 3

[sblock]Free Action: Quick Swap - Draw Bow.

Standard Action: Fire at Tentacle Minion in J7. RBA 11 + 16 = 27. I'm sure that hits.

Minor Action: Master At Arms - Stow Bow.

Free Action: Drop Prone.

Move Action: Kick paddle raft forward. Athletics 9 + 17 = 26. Achieves high DC.

whatever distance for my kick paddling of the raft (normal swim is an extra square charged so maybe 2 extra squares?) + 4 current = ? squares.[/sblock]

I'm torn between diving off the raft and swimming headlong for the flabtoat or firing off arrows at the assaulting tentacles threatening to drown the girl. My hands work of their own volition and decide for me. My bow occupies them without a command I can recollect. An arrow is strung and it flies true. Suddenly I'm prone, furiously kicking at the water, propelling us forward. My captive protests but I pay little attention to him, my mind a single track.

ROUND 4

[sblock]Minor Action: Hop Up with Acrobatic Boots.

Free Action: Quick Swap - Draw Bow.

Standard Action: Ranged Basic Attack at Tentacle Minion in K6 grabbing daughter. RBA 11 + 18 = 29. I'm sure that hits.

Move Action: Mighty Sprint (+ 4 speed and + 5 Athletics). I'm hoping to jump on the boat and then action point pull the Father onto the boat. As you noted below, I can try Acrobatics at the High DC for a running start. Acro 10 + 14 = 23 vs DC 23 so passed. I can use 5 (instead of 10) as my divisor for Athletics to determine how many squares I get....unfortunately, I rolled a 3. 14 + 3 is only 3 squares of movement. I'm going to swim the extra square forward (I still have tons of movement left) so I'll take the OA from the giant tentacle monster *. I have to be there to attempt to bull rush him onto the boat (forced movement one square) and free of the tentacles. If he is adjacent to his daughter, he can protect her.

* I'll use my Free Action Drakescale Armor of Eyes Encounter Power to cancel CA if the that would cause it to miss.

Action Point: Bull Rush on Father. I don't know if you're using the creatures Fort, the father's Fort or the average Fort for level of 20. My first check is 6 + 4 (I have a terrible Bull Rush check). That won't cut it. Free Action Elven Accuracy reroll; 16 + 4 = 20. Hopefully that will that will do it. I want him free of the tentacles and on the boat.[/sblock]

I hop to my feet with the aid of my magical boots. When I land my bow is in hand, arrow strung. Posture is perfect. Deep breath. The shot is true. Black ichor flies from the tentacle as my arrow eviscerates it. It slinks lifelessly into the water and the girl is free.

I crouch at the back of the raft and explode as a leopard might. My final foot plants on the back of my captive and I hear him grunt. My feet are slick and the boat is unsteady. I soar not nearly as far as I'd hoped but I finish in a clean tuck and a dive, splashing down into the dark waters. A single breast-stroke takes me to the father who is fighting with the tentacles in the water. If I'm accosted by any of the beast's appendages, my mind disregards it in favor of keen focus on my aim; to get the father out of the water so he might protect his daughter. I call upon my heritage and a thousand battles with my bow in hand, fending off all manner of beasts at close range. I shove him with all of my might and batt at the tentacles with my bow. I hear him gasp and feel nothing where there was something. As the tentacles begin to grasp me from below to pull me under, I am hopeful I've reunited the father and daughter.

ROUND 5

Uh oh. Looks like I accidentally deleted round 5 on the last edit. Going to try to recapture it from memory.

[sblock]Move Action: Escape Grab. Some check that was successful - only needed a 6.

Free Action: Quick Swap - Stow Bow and draw Greatsword.

Minor Action: Mobile Blade Stance.

Standard Action: Melee Basic Attack at the giant Tentacle Monster. Some number that hit despite the negative for aquatic combat. Power Strike + Sweeping Sword (slides all adjacent 1 square). I pushed the Tentacle Horror back one so I could use the Free Action of Mobile Blade (4 squares of movement) to get back on the boat. My damage roll was poor: 5 + 3 + 12 = 20 damage.[/sblock]

I tuck and sumorsault and squirm free. When I reach the surface I cough out the saltwater that threatened to drown me. Without thinking my bow is over my shoulder and my greatsword is free. This isn't about technique. This is about the fury of a cornered animal fighting for its life. I bury my blade into its flank and it recoils. I explode out of the water, gasp for breath and shout "get her to the back of the boat!"

ROUND 6

[sblock]Minor Action: Duelist's Assault Stance.

Standard Action: Melee Basic Attack at the giant Tentacle Monster. 14 + 14 = 28. Power Strike + Sweeping Sword (slides all adjacent 1 square). I don't think any of the tentacles next to me or the monster can attack the daughter but I'm going to slide each of them one square to their left. My damage roll is good this time: 10 + 7 + 16 = 33 damage.[/sblock]

I glance over my shoulder reveals the daughter is safe. I go to work on this beast before me. A flurry of forehands and backhands leave the tentacles near me reeling and the monster retreats as well but still gets the worst of it.

@Manbearcat , if the tentacle horror, but not the tentacles, attacks me on this turn I'm going to use my Fox's Cunning Daily as an Immediate Reaction. MBA + Wis to hit. 13 + 14 + 3 = 30 hits I'm sure. 26 damage.

ROUND 7

[sblock]Move Action: Move to G3.

Standard Action: Melee Basic Attack at the giant Tentacle Monster. 8 + 14 = 22; 5 + 16 = 21 damage.[/sblock]

There is little I can do for the father and I'm certain that he would want me to make protecting his daughter my priority. I fling myself at the creature with abandon. It again tastes my steel.

ROUND 8

[sblock]Standard Action: Melee Basic Attack at the giant Tentacle Monster. 9 + 14 = 23; my minimum damage of 17 is enough to slay it.

Move Action: Dive into the water and swim down to the father...dead or alive. Athletics check 18 + 9 = 27.[/sblock]

The beast's bulbous mass is a sheathe for my blade. The killing blow. A final wild flail as its death throes commence. My heart is pounding. I look over my shoulder. The girl is mouthing soundlessly, likely taking the gravity of all of this in and calling for her father in her mind. She is safe as my captive is still bound.

I dive. I will retrieve her father for her...or his body.

Last edited:

As the earlier combat, please just edit your original post with Round 1, Round 2, etc.

Initiative: 18 + 7 = 25

INITIATIVE ORDER

Saerie
Tentacles
Father
Daughter

Move Action: Propel the raft forward with a push of the pole.

I'm sure you'll let me know how many tentacles, the speed of the raft, if I need to make an Acrobatics or Athletics check. Edit - In case you need one, I rolled an 18.

I do need one.

1) The base speed of your raft when pushed by pole is going to be 3. An Athletics check at Medium/High DC increases that by 2 to 5 or 3 to 6. You exceed the High DC so it is 6 for this Move Action. FYI - The bay may become too deep for you to pole your raft in further rounds.

2) The current at the mouth of the river as it empties into the bay from above sea level is severe at an 8 (40 feet/6 second drift). At the end of your turn, your craft will be slid (current drift) a number of squares equal to the current. It will lessen by 2 every round as you move away from it, until it settles at a mild 2 (circling the central island) in the part of the bay where the flatboat is anchored.

3) Raft speed 6 + current 8 = 14 (70 ft). That will put you 26 squares (130 ft) away from the flatboat and the endangered father/daughter. A successful Athletics check at High DC next turn would put you just at the normal range of your bow (100 ft).

Does the father appear to be coordinated in his defense of his child? I'm envisioning a warrior (I suspect most in this village are). The girl is a Minion, yes?

1) Even though the moon is nearly full there is no immediate light in the vicinity. The dim light conditions cause both of these humans to suffer a - 2 to hit.

2) The father, although fighting with the extremely long flatboat oar, is clearly coordinated. He drops the small fishing pole and picks up the large, hefty oar for better defense. Under the twilight of the moon, his sure footwork, posture and (relatively) deft use of the awkward oar as a polearm betrays a warrior's heritage and training.

[sblock]Father
Medium natural humanoid, human
Level 7 Soldier, Leader
HP 83; Bloodied 41 Initiative +8
AC 23, Fortitude 20, Reflex 19, Will 18 Perception+4 Speed 6

Standard Actions

Awkward Oar (weapon) At-Will
Attack: Melee 2 (one creature); +12 vs. AC
Hit: 1d12 + 6 damage and the target is marked until the end of the father's next turn.
Miss: The target is marked until the end of the father's next turn.

A Father's Courage (weapon) Encounter
Attack: Close burst 2 (enemies in the burst); +12 vs. AC
Hit: 2d8 + 4 damage.
Effect: The daughter gains 10 temporary hit points.

Triggered Actions

My Life For Hers At-Will
Trigger: An enemy hits the father's daughter with a melee attack while she is adjacent to him.
Effect (Immediate Interrupt): The attack hits the father instead. After the attack is resolved, the father uses Awkward Oar against the triggering enemy as a free action.

+ 11 Escape vs Grab[/sblock]

3) The daughter is a Minion, yes. She is a tiny thing, but she is quick and squirrely. She darts away from tentacles and clings to her father's side in terror-filled desperation, all of which makes her a difficult target.

[sblock]Daughter
Medium natural humanoid, human
Level 7 Minion
HP 1; a missed attack never damages a minion. Initiative Fathers
AC 20, Fortitude 19, Reflex 20, Will 18 Perception+5 Speed 6

Traits

Father's Side
The daughter gains a +2 bonus to all defenses while adjacent to her father.

Standard Actions

Get Tiny At-Will
Attack: Ranged 5 (one creature); +10 vs. Will
Effect: The target cannot attack the daughter until the end of her next turn.

Move Actions

Wee Lass (Encounter)
Effect: The daughter shifts 3 squares and can shift through difficult terrain until the end of her next turn.

+ 5 Escape vs Grab[/sblock]

4) The Flatboat. The vessel is small in reality; probably about 15 feet long and 8 feet wide (so maybe 120 SF). There is no small cabin. Its just a standard flatboat (basically a floating tub) with a small mount set into the middle for the perched rower), probably used for net fishing, recreation fishing and transporting cargo around the bay. For the purposes of this combat, I'm going to abstract it out to 4 * 4 squares.

5) There were 4 tentacles (Minions each) lashing the boat, reaching for the occupants. After your true arrows, there are 2.

6) If you are damaged while on your raft, you will need to make an Acrobatics check DC 16 (Medium) or fall prone. The Flatboat is large and stable so it doesn't require an Acrobatics check.

ROUND 1

I act solely on instinct. That little girl must be protected. As I watch her father intercede on her behalf, batting away any threatening tentacles with the awkward fishing pole, I take heart. I'm not sure if the bay is shallow enough to pole the raft forward once I get into it but the pole still touches the soft bottom at the mouth of the river. Hoping the current will aid the craft's propulsion, I push with all my might. In a fluid motion I pull my bow from my shoulder. I take measure of my far-off prey, glistening and bathed in moonlight. As it does from time to time, my mind is momentarily assailed by an extra-worldly vision; a moment in a life not my own. I feel a breath as if I have taken it and a swirling vision of a pair of murky figures...they have a pair of children (I feel a powerful rage and maternal instinct...my children?...) that they are trying to thieve into the night. I let fly from my delicate bow in the vision just as I do in the real world. One tentacle is struck, so is another.

Two tentacles are shot through. They flail in the twilight momentarily and retract down into the murky water beneath the vessel.

Tentacles

[sblock]Tentacle in H7 attacks Daughter with Snatch and Grab. 10 + 10 vs Fort = 20. 21 Fort while adjacent to Father. Miss.

Tentacle in K5 attacks Daughter. 12 + 10 vs Fort = 22. Hit. *

* Immediate Interrupt by Father My Life For Hers. Father is hit for 4 damage, is grabbed (DC 16), and pulled 2 squares to Hindering Terrain (water) in K5. Father passes Saving Throw (13) so is prone and grabbed at J5. Father uses Awkward Oar on triggering tentacle. 7 + 12 - 2 (prone) - 2 (concealment) = 15. Miss and the target is marked until the EoYNT.[/sblock]

Father

[sblock]Move Action: Escape Grab (DC 16). 10 + 11 = 21. Hits. Escapes and shifts one square back to I5 and adjacent to Daughter.

Standard Action: A Father's Courage. Rolled 14 and 9 (+ 12 vs AC). - 2 (prone) - 2 (concealment). One hits Minion Tentacle in K5 and drops it. Daughter gains 10 temporary HPs.[/sblock]

Daughter

[sblock]Standard Action: Get Tiny on remaining Tentacle. 19 + 10 - 2 (concealment) = 27. Hits. Tentacle cannot attack daughter until the end of her next turn.[/sblock]

The black, rubbery tentacles have no eyes but seem to be animated by an uncanny awareness. With sentient purpose, the two remaining tentacles both reach for the tender morsel that is the little girl. The father slams his oar into one, batting it away from her. The second almost slips through but at the last moment he reaches out with a leg, attempting to push kick it away from his daughter. It reacts with violence, wrapping around his leg with amazing strength, upending him and pulling him toward a drowning (or worse?) death. His feet kick wildly and catch the edge of the flatboat, keeping him dry.

With his daughter now vulnerable, the father acts with renewed ferocity. Kicking, biting and lashing with the oar he breaks free. He crawls back to his daughter's side and yells "Stay behind me!" Knowing where her salvation lies, she scrunches down to obscure herself from the remaining tentacle as an inspirig thud reveals her father has just reduced their terrifying foes by half their number.

Round 2 and you're up @Binks . Edit your post above, please. If you have any questions, let me know.

Also, 2 consecutive encounters completed without Extended Rest so milestone achieved and AP refreshed, yes? I'm not using it now but just want to confirm.

Yes, AP refreshed. That will always be the case so you can just keep track of that.

ROUND 2

Tentacles

[sblock]Remaining tentacle affected by Get Tiny attacks Father with Snatch and Grab. 6 + 10 vs Reflex = 16. Miss.[/sblock]

Three tentacles explode from the depths, wriggle wildly for a moment and, whip-like, they extend toward the daughter!

[sblock]Tentacle attacks Daughter with Snatch and Grab. 15 + 10 vs Fort = 25. Hit. *

* Immediate Interrupt by Father My Life For Hers. Father is hit for 4 damage, is grabbed (DC 16), and pulled 2 squares to Hindering Terrain (water) in K5. Father passes Saving Throw (16) so is prone and grabbed at J5. Father uses Awkward Oar on triggering tentacle. 20 + 12 - 2 (prone) - 2 (concealment) = 28. Hit. Minion down.

Tentacle attacks Daughter with Snatch and Grab. 5 + 10 vs Fort = 15. Miss.

Tentacle attacks Daughter with Snatch and Grab. 19 + 14 vs Fort = 33. Hit for 4 damage, is grabbed (DC 16), and pulled 2 squares to Hindering Terrain (water) in H7. Daughter fails Saving Throw (9) so is pulled into the hindering terrain of the water and grabbed in H7.[/sblock]

** Water (Hindering Terrain): Anyone who starts their turn in the water within 2 squares of the flatboat takes is grabbed (DC 16). If you end your turn grabbed while in the water within 2 squares of the flaboat, you are pulled 2 squares (10 feet) underwater and you take 5 damage (see Endurance; Suffocation).

Father

[sblock]Move Action: Crawl to I6.

Standard Action: Awkward Oar on the Tentacle grasping his daughter. Rolled 15 + 12 vs AC. - 2 (prone) - 2 (concealment). 23 hits Minion Tentacle grasping his daughter. It releases her and retracts into the water.[/sblock]

Daughter

[sblock]Grabbed by Hindering Terrain DC 16.

Move Action: Escape Grab 20 + 5 = 25 vs DC 16. Hits target number. Daughter escapes but can't shift out of water.

Move Action: Gets out of water and moves behind father into I5.[/sblock]

For a moment things appear to be taking a turn for the better. The father growls and batts aside the remaining tentacle. Just when he is about to finish, one, then another, and finally a third tentacle emerges from the water. They snap into action, tearing the father and daughter from their feet. The father's muffled cry is heard as the tentacle wraps around his face. He reaches out to his daughter who is pulled into the water. He smashes the oar repeatedly into the thick cord of muscle that is the tentacle and it releases him. A singular jab forces the tentacle to release her...however, her screams and thrashing reveals that something beneath her is pulling her under. He reaches his oar into the water and she pulls herself back onto the safety of the boat, gasping for air and coughing up water.

@Binks , attached is the map for the end of Round 2 and the beginning of Round 3. Take note of your position and please pay cloes attention to the Hindering Terrain ** above. Daughter has 1 HP (minion) and 6 Temp HP remaining. Father has 75 HP. 2 Tentacle Minions are up. Your go.

FYI addendum - Your barge pole fails to touch ground this round. While your raft is probably 8 - 10 feet long after your effort to extend it (your captive is pretty freaked out by this whole affair and is protesting by the way...but he's still tied in place), it isn't particularly stable. If you want to try a running jump for a swim (to get the 5 divisor rather than 10), you'll have to pass a high Acrobatics check (DC 23). Failure in this situation means you get the 10 divisor and you lose one square of your jump effort.

ROUND 3

Tentacle Horror

[sblock]Standard Action: Rock the Boat (Encounter) + 10 vs Fort. 17 vs both Father and Daughter. Hits both. Each are dazed (save ends) and slid 2 squares. Father fails saving throw against Hindering Terrain and is in the water in I8. Daughter passes saving throw against Hindering Terrain and is prone in J5. The TH is Huge and occupies a 3 * 3 at south end of flatboat.

Minor Action: Tentacles Everywhere! (Encounter). Effect: Four tentacles (1 HP each) appear in unoccupied squares within 5 squares of the TH. The TH takes 5 damage whenever one of these tentacles drops to 0 hit points.

Minor Action: Grope For Prey (1/turn). 3 + 10 + 2 (CA) vs Daugther's Fort. 15 misses.
[/sblock]

*** The Tentacle Horror and each of its (summoned) tentacles have an aura 3: You give up CA while in aura.

Tentacle Minion (this is one of the creatures tentacles but separate mechanically from the "summoned tentacle minions" that the Tentacle Horror can act through)

[sblock]Tentacle attacks Daughter with Snatch and Grab. 10 + 10 (+ 2 CA) vs Fort = 22. Hit for 4 damage, is grabbed (DC 16), and pulled 2 squares toward Hindering Terrain (water) in K6. Daughter passes Saving Throw (15) so prone and grabbed in J6.[/sblock]

The flatboat rises abruptly, threatens an overturn and then stabilizes. Tentacles flail wildly everywhere, swarming over every end of the boat, threatening to sweep all into the bay. The mottled, bulbous black mass connected to it emerges, tiny, fang-filled mouths covering its body. The father is thrown into the murky water, leaving the disorineted girl to fend for herself as a tentacle grasps her but her fight for her life leaves her on board.

** Water (Hindering Terrain): Anyone who starts their turn in the water within 2 squares of the flatboat is grabbed (DC 16). If you end your turn grabbed while in the water within 2 squares of the flaboat, you are pulled 2 squares (10 feet) underwater and you take 5 damage (see Endurance; Suffocation).

Father

Move Action: Escape Grab; 11 + 11 = 22. Escapes and shifts to I7.

Save vs Dazed = Success @ 13.[/sblock]

Daughter

[sblock]Grabbed by remaining tentacle minion DC 16.

Standard Action: Get Tiny vs Tentacle Horror 15 + 10 ( - 4) = 21. Success.

Save vs Dazed = Failure @ 7.

Still prone, grabbed, dazed.[/sblock]

As the father is swept overboard and fighting for each breath, the girl is having her life squeezed out of her by the grasping tentacle. Blackness threatens to close in on her as the rubbery mass crushes her life from her. She curls up in the fetal position, hoping against hope that these are not her last moments. You can hear her weeping over the thrashing sounds of the water and the pounding against the wood. "Daddy I love you..." Her father manages to choke out a gurgled "I'm coming baby!"

Things look bleak. Daughter has 1 HP (minion) and 2 Temp HP remaining and is prone, grabbed and dazed (save ends). Father has 75 HP and is in the hindering terrain of the water next to the boat (will be grabbed at the start of his next turn). 1 Tentacle Minion (TM) up. Tentacle Horror has 4 (summoned - mechanically) tentacles around the boat (ST).

Round 4 update: @Binks The OA you provoke from the tentacle beast is 12 + 10 (+2 for CA) = 24 vs your 18 Reflex. Your CA cancelling ability wouldn't impact the effort. You take 18 damage. Everything is as you have scribed it above. The father is prone on the boat, next to his daughter, in I6. I'll finish out Round 4 tomorrow and post a new map. To be clear, mechanically, the only remaining enemy is the tentacle monster so a successful Get Tiny on it prevents the tentacles from attacking the daughter (the monster uses them to deploy minor action attacks).

ROUND 4

Tentacle Horror

[sblock] <cannot attack daughter this turn due to successful Get TIny>

Standard Action: Slam + 10 + 13 + 2 (CA) = 25 vs Father's Reflex; hit. 15 damage.

Minor Action: Tentacle! Effect: One tentacles (1 HP) appears in K6. The TH takes 5 damage if the tentacle drops to 0 hit points.

Minor Action: Grope For Prey by tentacle in G7 (1/turn). 8 + 10 + 2 (CA) = 20 vs Father's Fortitude; hit. 4 damage, grabbed (DC 16), and pulled 2 squares toward Hindering Terrain (water) in H7. Father passes Saving Throw (18) so prone and grabbed in H6.

Action Point: Down Into the Depths on Saeri. 3 + 10 + 2 (CA) + 2 (aquatic bonus) = 17 vs Saeri's Foritude; hit. You're pulled 1 square underwater and you take 7 damage and 5 ongoing damage (save ends). * Saerie cancelled using Drakescale Armor of Eyes.[/sblock]

@Binks , Down Into the Depths does hit due to CA. If you want to use your negate CA Drakescale Armor of Eyes Encounter Power, it would negate this attack against you. If not, I need an Endurance check DC 20 at the end of your turn for suffocation. Failure means you lose a Healing Surge. You take 5 damage at the beginning of your turn and need to save versus the 5 OG at the end of your turn. You're also grabbed due to the Hindering Terrain ***. Isn't this FUN! * Saerie cancelled using Drakescale Armor of Eyes.

*** The Tentacle Horror and each of its (summoned) tentacles have an aura 3: You give up CA while in aura.

** Water (Hindering Terrain): Anyone who starts their turn in the water within 2 squares of the flatboat is grabbed (DC 16). If you end your turn grabbed while in the water within 2 squares of the flaboat, you are pulled 2 squares (10 feet) underwater and you take 5 damage (see Endurance; Suffocation).

Father

[sblock]Move Action: Escape Grab; 7 + 11 = 18. Escapes and shifts to I5 (adjacent to daughter).

Standard Action: Awkward Oar (Melee 2) on the Tentacle Horror. 18 + 12 - 2 (prone) - 2 (concealment) vs AC. 26 hits. 18 damage and the TH is marked until the end of its next turn.[/sblock]

Daughter

[sblock]Standard Action: Get Tiny vs Tentacle Horror 19 + 10 ( - 4) = 25. Success. Cannot be attacked by TH until the end of her next turn.

Save vs Dazed = Failure @ 3.

Still prone and dazed.[/sblock]

The little girl keeps her eyes closed and remains curled up in the fetal position as the world around her is all a horror. Tentacles slam, curl, grope, pull everywhere. You hear the father shout something and an audible thud before you are pulled underwater, a gasp of seawater instead of air fills your lungs.

ROUND 5

Tentacle Horror

[sblock]Move Action: Back to its original position.

Standard Action: Slam vs Saeri. 7 + 10 + 2 (CA) - 2 (marked) = 17 vs 18 Reflex. Miss.

Minor Action: Grope For Prey by tentacle in K6 (1/turn) vs Father. 4 + 10 + 2 (CA) = 16 vs Father's Fort. Miss.[/sblock]

Father

[sblock]Standard Action: Pick daughter up from prone.

Move Action: Move to G4 (adjacent to daughter).[/sblock]

Daughter

[sblock]Move Action: Wee Lass Encounter Power. Shift 3 squares to G3.

Save vs Dazed = Success @ 13.[/sblock]

Not going to bother with a new map here. You're in I6, Father is in G4, Daughter in G3, all Tentacle Horror and Tentacles are where they were in prior map.

Amidst the thrashing and splashing of the flailing tentacles, the father protectively ushers the daughter to the back of the flatboat

ROUND 6

Tentacle Horror

[sblock]Minor Action: Tentacle! Effect: One tentacles (1 HP) appears in I2. The TH takes 5 damage if the tentacle drops to 0 hit points.

Minor Action: Grope For Prey by tentacle in I2 (1/turn) vs Daughter. 14 + 10 + 2 (CA) = 16 vs Daughter's Fort. Hit. *

* Immediate Interrupt by Father My Life For Hers. Father is hit for 4 damage, is grabbed (DC 16), and pulled 2 squares to Hindering Terrain (water) in I2. Father passes Saving Throw (17) so is prone and grabbed at H3. Father uses Awkward Oar on triggering tentacle. 20 + 12 - 2 (prone) - 2 (concealment) = 28. Hit. Tentacle down. Tentacle Horror takes 5 damage. Father is prone in I2.

Standard Action: Slam vs Saeri. 16 + 10 + 2 (CA) = 28 vs 18 Reflex. Hit for 14 damage.[/sblock]

@Manbearcat , if the tentacle horror, but not the tentacles, attacks me on this turn I'm going to use my Fox's Cunning Daily as an Immediate Reaction. MBA + Wis to hit. 13 + 14 + 3 = 30 hits I'm sure. 26 damage.

Noted. This ocurrs after TH hits you with Slam for 13. Creature is bloodied. Rock the Boat refreshes and it uses it immediately as a free action. It submerges, batters the boat from below and reappears on the opposite side.

[sblock]Standard Action: Rock the Boat (Recharge Bloodied) + 10 vs Fort.

17 + 2 + 10 (29) vs Father; Hits. Saving throw (1) fails. He's in the water in H1, grabbed at the start of his turn, and dazed (save ends)

6 + 2 + 10 (18) vs Daughter; Misses.

2 + 2 + 10 (14) vs Saerie; Misses.[/sblock]

Father

Move Action: Escape Grab; 3 + 11 = 14. Fails. He is still grabbed at the end of his turn so he is pulled 2 squares (10 feet) underwater and he takes 5 damage (see Endurance; Suffocation). His Endurance roll is 6 + 3 (1/2 level) + 3. Even if he was trained he would fail DC 20. He loses his only Healing Surge. Another failure equals 1/4 HP.

Save vs Dazed = Success @ 15.[/sblock]

Daughter

[sblock]Standard Action: Get Tiny on TH. 7 + 10 - 2 (15) vs Will fails.

Move Action: Run Action (+ 2 speed) and Jump (Athletics check with running start 11 total = 2 squares) into the water and swims toward raft and pulls herself on top of it. *

* Provokes Slam OA from TH: 5 + 2 + 10 = 17. Misses her 20 Reflex.[/sblock]

The father slams his oar into a tentacle groping for his daughter. It flails and recedes into the water. The creature responds with renewed anger and sends you into a defensive flurry to keep your head on your shoulders. You can feel the fatigue creeping into your bones. You throw your head back as a tentacle swipes across you and an upward thrust of your blade impales it. A strange sound is uniformly emitted from the creatures many-fanged mouths. The crazy sound is loud enough to cause a stir on the island in the middle of the bay (a few hundred feed away). Torches burn into existence from the ramparts facing your position just as the deepwater murk of the bay enfolds the creature. For a moment it seem things may be over, but then boat lurches wildly, sending the father far and wide into the water. Something from below grasps him, pulls him under and out of your sight as he thrashes wildly and reaches futiley for his daughter - so far away. She panics in terror, her senses fully taking leave of her. She rushes off the boat as a tentacle flails wildly over just above her small form. She takes a flying leap and splashes down into the water but grasps your raft with both hands, pulling herself up.

ROUND 7

Tentacle Horror

[sblock]Standard Action: Down Into the Depths on Father. 13 + 10 + 2 (CA) + 2 (aquatic bonus) = 27 vs Father's Foritude; hit. He's pulled 1 square further underwater (now 15 feet) and he takes 7 damage and 5 ongoing damage (save ends). Father will have to pass Endurance DC 20 or take 20 (1/4 HP or HS value) HP at the end of his turn.

Minor Action: Grope For Prey by tentacle in F5 (1/turn) on Saeri. 2 + 10 + 2 (CA) = 14 vs Saeri's Fortitude; Miss.[/sblock]

Father

[sblock]5 ongoing damage from Down into the Depths.

Move Action: Escape Grab 1 + 11 = 12; Failure.

Standard Action: Awkward Oar on TH. I'm qualifying the oar as effectively a longspear for jabbing/thrusting so it won't suffer the - 2 penalty for nonproficiency in underwater combat. Natural 20 (!) + 12 (- stuff which isn't enough to make it miss). 18 damage and the TH is marked.

End of Turn: 5 damage for ending turn grabbed in the hindering terrain. Endurance 9 + 10 = 19 vs DC 20; 20 damage. 12 Save vs OG 5 from DitD; pass.[/sblock]

Daughter

[sblock]Ready Action to use Get Tiny if anything gets in range to attack.[/sblock]

As the glowing flames scurry like magical motes off in the distance on the ramparts, the sounds of the battle eerily begin to hush. The girls cries of terror are just a murmur of "Pa...paaaa." The thrashing of the tentacles on the father underwater are less vigorous than before and he shows no signs of surfacing. Nonetheless, the creature suddenly jerks spasmodically and appears much less inclined toward predation than a moment before. Its alien nature is beyond you, but you've seen plenty of predators ready to give up a fight that was more than it bargained for.

Father has 10 HP remaining. Daughter has 1 HP (2 temp HP) remaining. Tentacle Horror has 13 HP remaining. [MENTION=6775039]Binks[/MENTION] , if you slay the TH on your next turn, you have autonomy to describe the denoument of the scene, save for the status of/situation with the Father. I have to resolve his fate mechanically as the Hindering Terrain of the beast will be present until the end of the round and he is drowning.

Attachments

• OPEN WATER ROUND 1.pdf
    113.7 KB · Views: 97
  • OPEN WATER END OF ROUND 2.pdf
    114.1 KB · Views: 121
  • OPEN WATER END OF ROUND 3.pdf
    288 KB · Views: 115
  • OPEN WATER END OF ROUND 4.pdf
    291.2 KB · Views: 115
  • OPEN WATER END OF ROUND 6.pdf
    294.5 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

Binks

Explorer
@Binks Departing from the game for a moment for a couple of mechanical things.

1) You had mentioned that you potentially wanted to move your bear to a companion character and take the "Ghost (whatever it is)" theme. If that is indeed the case, then go ahead and change your lead post with your character info with those changes.

2) We're at the point of play where Minor and Major Quests can be slated. Let us keep 3 rolling Minor Quests. I'm thinking:

a) Secure a safe, permanent redoubt for the children.
b) Determine where (when?) you are.
c) <insert something else here>

If you believe that you have a Major Quest at this point, I'll let you fill me in on your take on it.

Minor Quests:

a) Secure a safe, permanent redoubt for the children.
b) Determine where (when?) you are.
c) Confirm the identify of the Spectral Stag that led me here (I believe I know it but we shall see) and find out why.

The beast's bulbous mass is a sheathe for my blade. The killing blow. A final wild flail as its death throes commence. My heart is pounding. I look over my shoulder. The girl is mouthing soundlessly, likely taking the gravity of all of this in and calling for her father in her mind. She is safe as my captive is still bound.

I dive. I will retrieve her father for her...or his body.

Father

[sblock]Move Action: Escape Grab (DC 16). 12 + 11 = 23.

Move Action: Swim to the surface Athletics 18 + 11 = 29.[/sblock]

Only the scantest bit of the moon's light breaks the murky black of the water. In the faint shimmer, you can see the father desperately pulling the beast's thick, limp tentacles from his body. You pull one free, he escapes and you both swim to the surface. He coughs up a lungful of water and gasps, barely able to stay afloat. As you help him to the boat, he stays on all fours, hacking and spitting up water as his daughter exalts and dives into the water to join him on the boat.

Everyone catches their breath and the small family embraces and holds each other for a fair bit of time. Before they can regard you, you take note of a sound of the machinery of a gate lifting and a small vessel is launched into the water from the fortified island. The torchlight on the ramparts recedes as the boat approaches with 4 men, two torches on poles illuminating their grim faces. The child and father turn to look as one of the men on the approaching boat calls out "Terilion". Shaking his head with a severe countenance he says, "this is not good...He Who Sees Without Sight will receive you at once...and you should be aware that your brother is not pleased. You know what this means."

The father looks back at his trembling daughter and mournfully holds her eyes with his, "I do..."

"Who is this one?"

"She saved us..." the father answers.

As two men from the other boat board the father's vessel, the man on the other boat regards you, "You are a curious thing that I have not seen the likeness of. The Moon Madness does not appear to grip you but no chance will be taken. If you wish to enter our home, you will submit yourself to these shackles and an examination by our medicine man as I am not Terilion and I will brook no carelessness. If he approves, you may have a bed for the night, a guard at your door, and we will see what to make of each other come morning. If this is not agreeable, you will go back from whence you came at once."

Your move [MENTION=6775039]Binks[/MENTION].

Check out the below for your Bear Companion:

Bear Companion
Medium natural beast
Level 7 Companion (Soldier, Leader)
HP 68; Bloodied 34 12 HS @ 17 Initiative +6
AC 22, Fortitude 21, Reflex 19, Will 19
Speed 6 Low-light vision

Standard Actions

Frenzied Mauling * At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +12 vs. AC
Hit: 1d12 + 7 damage and one creature adjacent to the primary target takes 4 damage.

Ursine Crush * At-Will
Requirement: The bear companion cannot be grabbing a creature.
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +10 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1d12 + 6 damage, and the bear companion grabs the target (escape DC 16).

Defenseless Prey * At-WIll
Target: One creature grabbed by the bear companion.
Effect: One ally adjacent to the target can make a melee basic attack against it. If the attack hits, the target gains vulnerable 5 to all damage until the end of your next turn.

Minor Actions

Loyal Companion's Presence (healing) * Encounter
Effect: Close burst 5 (one creature in the burst). The target can spend a healing surge and gains 2d6 additional HP.

Challenging Roar * Encounter
Attack: Close blast 3 (enemies in the blast); +10 vs. Will
Hit: The bear companion pushes the target up to 3 squares, and the target is marked until the end of the bear companion's next turn.
Miss: The bear companion can push the target 1 square.

Skills: Athletics +12, Intimidate +12, Perception + 11

Last edited:

Remove ads