A Dark High Fantasy RPG

Quickleaf

Legend
What began as me brainstorming house rules for 4e among friends, continued with some forum discussions, and is emerging into...something else.

I have been inspired by 4e, BD&D, True20, Iron Heroes, Star Wars SAGA, Dungeon World, The One Ring, Radiance, and probably other systems I'm forgetting... I don't want to call it a new d20 RPG yet, but that may be the direction I'm headed. Right now it's more a collection of ideas, glorified house rules yearning to become their own system.

Anyhow, I call it Elderblade.

If I were to sum it up in a sentence: Elderblade is a fantasy RPG/house rules that encourages, challenges, and rewards player creativity.

And if I were speaking to a hardcore gamer: Elderblade is an "old school meets new school" rules-lighter action-intense flat-math d20 RPG/house rules... that encourages, challenges, and rewards player creativity.

Here's the original post where I promulgated some ideas (which may or may not pan out): http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?351895-D-amp-D-4-5E-(Not-Essentials)/page13
[sblock]
I'm going to basically brainstorm a new d20 game inspired a lot by 4e but some other games as well (BD&D, True20, Star Wars SAGA, DungeonWorld)...it's interesting, but it is long, so you've been warned! ;)

Instead I would design a ruleset that focuses on improvisation and player creativity, using lessons learned from 4e (hell, it could even be compatible with 4e, so you could use 4e monsters!) without seeking to replicate 4e. While a good DM and highly invested players *can* do an improv style game in 4e, the system really isn't encouraging, challenging, and rewarding creativity. Instead it encourages knowing the rules and building a strong character with those rules...I mean you have so so many powers that often have very subtle to no differences.

What I would do is make a streamlined version of the system with zone-based combat (like Old School Hack) and minis both supported...

First off, initiative would be simultaneous for three main reasons:
  • First, it encourages players to talk ahead of time about creative strategies/tactics especially since they matter a bit more (since the dying Orc can still stab you!), and since players can coordinate and take turns amongst themselves as they please without worrying about where a Held Action puts them in the initiative count. It also makes ranged attacks a bigger part of gameplay compared to 4e which often is melee-focused.
  • Second, it reduces alpha-striking with an inflated initiative score and makes Surprise more important. I'd also be building several options you can choose when you gain Surprise to make it a bigger part of gameplay.
  • Third, no more tracking initiative! When you need to find our who goes first or a PC and monster are clearly trying to go before each other there can be an contested initiative check between the two or three or whatever.

I would incorporate a system of upshots & complications. Any success, whether on a skill check, ability check, attack roll, initiative check, or something else...any success by 5+ would earn you an upshot (kind of like True20's challenges) while any failure by 5+ would earn you a complication (hard coding the "fail by 5+" of some skills into the entire system. Every skill and many abilities would provide example upshots/complications to inspire you.

A missed attack would never mean "you miss, next." Instead a player would choose from several missed attack options:
  • study foe or situation and learn something.
  • gain advantage and +1 die damage against same enemy on an attack next round as you wait for their guard to drop, keep battering their shield, or just get more determined to kill them.
  • reposition within your current zone.

Conditions and powers with durations would have a bit less game-speak in them (e.g. Until the end of the target's next turn, or Save ends) and would lean more toward narrative-based durations. For example, a barbarian's rage could last "until the barbarian spends a round without attacking anything." This makes rage more interesting. The player is going to be constantly seeking out enemies to maximize their rage time, and at the same time the player will dislike enemies that impose conditions which would hamper the barbarian from their murder spree. And it makes sense, and might even lead to some fun roleplaying: "Cleegor, the fights over! Don't hit me!" "Grr! Cleegor sense more goblins coming...must smash!"

Modifiers would happen away from the table during character creation/monster building, and would be very very rare in play. Instead an advantage/disadvantage system could be used. This could either be a non-stacking +5/-5 or it could steal from D&D Next (or really from 4e where the idea began...or perhaps 3e but I can't recall).

Player defined character keywords would be part of character creation. When leveraged they can gain you advantage, but GM may call upon them to impose disadvantage, all depending on the situation. Keywords overall would play a more prominent role than in 4e.

Streamlined action economy: Eliminating minor actions & reintroducing full-round actions & consolidating opportunities & immediate actions/interrupts into reactions. Also reduce the number of reaction-granting powers.

For creating a condition track (to consolidate several of 4e's conditions) it would look to Star Wars SAGA and True20.

Social skills would use a Rich Burlew Diplomacy approach, where the difficulty range is set by the GM but the actual DC is determined by the Player's creative approach to negotiating with the NPC. So it's not mainly about being a great thespian, it's not mainly about having Diplomacy +30, it IS mainly about thinking about your approach and being creative.

Investigative skills would use a Dungeon World-esque "list of pointed/leading questions" you can ask. Maybe the check DC you meet determines how many questions you get.

Speaking of skills, I think every skill should also have a trained only use (like detect magic for Arcana). For example, any PC can use Streetwise to check the tavern for rumors, but a PC trained in Streetwise can actually seed new rumors. Or any PC can use Heal to perform first aid (which would be a full-round action), but a PC trained in Heal can perform (magical medieval/renaissance-era) Surgery & Forensics.

Action points and healing surges would be merged into hero points. Every PC would start with 6, though that might increase at each tier. Like True20 provided a list of uses for "Conviction", each of the three main class archetypes (Expert, Warrior, Spellcaster) would have their own stunt lists for using hero points. There would be some overlap (Extra Action and Second Wind for example). Second Wind, btw, would be a free action and limited only by your remaining hero points. However, you wouldn't be able to use it when "bloodied" unless you were a Warrior.

Recovery of powers, hit points, and hero points would be slow unless the PCs were at a sanctuary. Differ sanctuaries could provide different recovery options/levels.

Thed be a unified progression table like in 4e. Every class would have sub-classes with clear identity, as well as paragons paths with strong narrative identity. Attack powers would be grouped by tier and when you have the option of gaining a new attack power you could instead folllow the upgrade track of an attack power you already know. Thus, there'd be less attack powers needed.

For basic attacks, I know the martial classes would all be: "Make a basic attack and...(insert something awesome)." Eliminating the need for a lot of power details. I'm thinking choose 2 basic attacks from a list of 5-6 should be sufficient. Could make the fewer basic attacks more versatile and perhaps introduce more combat maneuvers like Hamper, Lock Blades, Trip, etc.

For utility powers, they would instead include more passive features and less powers (especially for non-spellcasters), and would also be grouped by tier. So you'd have... ROGUE HEROIC FEATURES: choose one at 2nd level, 6th level, and 10th level. Then ROGUE PARAGON FEATURES...and so on. Also, the utility powers would be mostly non-combat abilities with some kind of meaning to the narrative (e.g. my barbarian / ranger knows how to make Animal Calls that allow him to relay simple messages to allies while hidden and scouting without giving away his position! Awesome!).

Races would also get what 4e never quite delivered on...a list of racial features you choose from as you advance...I'm thinking once per tier is about right. These would be classic identifying characteristics/traits, so for humans you might choose from: Ambition (exploiting the upshot/complication system), Dual-Classing, Heroism (bundling all those human action point feats), Adaptive Learning (letting you pick a new power/featu in the field), Perseverance (some combo of when you have no hero points/ when an ally goes down/ whe. You fail a death save/ when you fail by 5+ effects), Shrewdness (ask extra questions on a History/Insight check that have to do with power & risk), Versatility (take an extra Basic Attack from your class or a feat...this would basically be a repeat of a core human race feature).

Classes would be divided into 3 Archetypes, each archetype would share common hero point Stunt List, have access to common feats, and choose from same pool of Paragon Paths (though some might be class-restricted). Multi-classing under this system would be much easier too. As far as which classes and sub-classes, I would go with this layout:

EXPERTS
Assassin - Holy Slayer, Poisoner, Shadow
Bard - Minstrel, Skald, Trickster
Monk - Iron Fist, something, Good Friar (because a Western "Friar Tuck" staff wielded option is needed for games lacking Asian awesomeness)
Rogue - Investigator, Scoundrel, Spy, Swashbuckler, Thief, Treasure Hunter (that should cover a good spread of rogue concepts, though it could go on forever!)

WARRIORS
Barbarian - Berserker, Horsemasher, and kill the Warden and take his stuff to inspire a 3rd build
Fighter - Archer, Defender, Duelist Man-at-Arms, Slayer, and the Warlord
Paladin - Cavalier, Blackguard, and the Avenger (see, more killing classes and taking their stuff!)
Ranger - Beastmaster, Hunter, Scout

SPELLCASTERS
Cleric - (using D&DNext god names as placeholders) Lifegiver, Lightbringer, Protector, Reaper, Stormcaller, Warbringer
Druid - Ritualistic, Shapeshifter, Summoner
Warlock - Cthulu Pact, Fey Pact, Infernal Pact, Grimdark Pact
Wizard - Arcanist, Evoker, Enchanter, Illusionist, Necromancer, Wild Mage

Notice that the Big 4 classes get more sub-class options since they've got the most history and thus the most diversity in D&D books. I chose to cut Sorcerer because there are strong improvisation options for all spellcasters that sort of make that class as conceived in 3e superfluous, and the Evoker sub-class basically gets similar features to the 4e Sorcerer.

Now, something like an Artificer or the 4e Vampire class is missing from this list, but those were later options that aren't critical to the game.

Feats -overhauled! Feats would be fewer in number, you'd get less of them, and they'd get a big power up. However, I'd aggressively strip out feats which just inflate numbers - those sorts of things would be core class features or just cut out entirely.

Skill Challenges -overhauled! Skill challengrs would get a complete overhaul inspired by Star Wars SAGA and, well, a blend of my experience, lots of Internet advice, and borrowed ideas from indie games like Fiasco, Dungeon World, and Gumshoe. They would be about interesting choices testing creativity instead of skill checks. The would be similar rules basis and then templates to make The Heist, The Chase, The Investiation, The Infiltration, The Travel Montage, etc.

Magic Items would be optional and wondrous without inflating core math.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-

That would be the starting point I'd work from, something rules-lighter, with fun character building options, yet firmly all about encouraging, challenging, and rewarding player creativity (as opposed to player skill or character skill). I'm still debating if I'd go the flat math route, though that would of course make it completely incompatible with 4e. But something like that I could see working under the d20 SRD. I don't know how popular it would ever be, but it certainly hints at a game I'd love to play!
[/sblock]

The underlying setting concept is a gritty world of high fantasy with political intrigue and magic that has a price; it's a world where evil and good exist but are muddied by shifting alliegances, mortals who are mostly "unaligned", and the lack of a consolidated evil or good front.

The underlying mechanic is to encourage, challenge, and reward creativity (as opposed to player skill or character-building).

So... I'll start with the first rule that melds these two ideas: the Rule of 5.

Whenever you roll a d20 for a check, attack, or defense (players roll defense in this system instead of monsters rolling attack), this you succeed by 5+ the player chooses an upshot, but if you fail by 5+ the GM chooses a complication.

What's an upshot and a complication? Basically something extra good or extra bad, from the player's perspective.

Sample upshots:
  • You learn something about the situation or creature: ask an extra question.
  • You aid an ally attempting the same roll.
  • You perform the task faster than expected, gaining advantage (+5) on initiative or reducing the action required one step (full-round to standard, standard to move, move to free). Longer actions like rituals require 25% less time.
  • You reposition within your current zone.
  • You perform two actions simultaneously.

While some of these could be used in combat, there's a whole slew of special combat upshots...

Attack upshots:
  • You hit the monster in a specific spot.
  • You wound the monster in a specific spot, so that subsequent attacks to that specific spot deal +1 damage die.
  • Gain advantage (+5) on defense against the monster's next attack.
  • Deal damage to the monster first, winning initiative (which is normally simultaneous)
  • Any overkill damage against monster can be applied to another monster. May require an attack roll to hit for balance, not sure.
  • Reposition within your current zone.

Defense upshots:
  • Gain advantage (+5) on your next attack against the monster.
  • Initiate a combat maneuver against the monster.
  • Negate any damage on a miss/near-miss.
  • Disengage from the monster safely.

And then each skill in the game has a bunch of unique upshots! Let's look at Streetwise, which is the 4e version of 3e's Gather Information which is the 2e version of "we go to the tavern" and the 1e version of "there's a temple of elemental evil, do you need to know anything else?" ;)

As a disclaimer: Streetwise in this system can be used for several things besides gathering info. It can also be used to seed rumors (so there's rules backing up the bard player when he says "I besmirch the Duke's name vociferously!") and - if you're trained - to hide in a populace while authorities look for you.

Streetwise upshots:
  • Gather rumors about a distant town or city (requires being in a port or capital).
  • Keep your asking around quiet so no one catches wind what you're up to.
  • Deliberately attract attention without it seeming like you're setting up an obvious trap.
  • When seeding rumors, make them especially pervasive to sway popular opinion.
  • When seeding rumors, do so anonymously or under a nome de plume.
  • When hiding among the populace, do so without endangering your hosts.
  • When you're hiding among the populace, get a guaranteed safe house and person you can 100% trust for now.

I'm going to stop there, but you can imagine there are complications that invert several of these general upshots, attack / defense upshots, and skill upshots.

Last edited:

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
I like your upshot/complication mechanic! Good stuff, Quickleaf! :)

Something like that would work really well in my game. I think I'll try to come up with something to adapt it...

Quickleaf

Legend
I like your upshot/complication mechanic! Good stuff, Quickleaf! :)

Something like that would work really well in my game. I think I'll try to come up with something to adapt it...

I'm just getting warmed up ;) Heh. Thanks, it's nice to get feedback so swiftly.

So the mechanic isn't really original...it's just taking the idea of "degrees of success", the "fails by 5+" strangeness of 4e and I think 3e, and merging it with the challenge mechanic from Iron Heroes/True20 (except letting you do it after the roll, instead of before).

One potential issue I see is handling time at the table for those-who-are-not-math-inclined. Hopefully any potential increase in handling time there is mitigates by reducing combat complexity and limiting multi-attacks.

Last edited:

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Yeah, I get the part about making it friendlier for the math-averse. I have some of those at my table, including myself at times ;)

I like the idea of upshots and complications for their narrative potential, but for the needs of my group, I need it to be opt-in. I use a system for my crit rules that I think could work well here; a per-encounter resource that triggers when a character rolls a crit or when they are subject to one. They can choose to either gain an extra benefit on a crit, or to suffer an additional penalty when subject to one, in exchange for an AP.

It works well enough in fights, but I'd like to apply the idea more broadly to the game in general, not just during Skill Challenges and other "rolls-required" situations. I'd like it to work such that a player could turn in the resource and say, "OK, make this situation just a little worse for me, in exchange for..." or to be able to say, "I'm spending this resource, and I'd like for this situation to turn out just a little better for me."

Rechan

Adventurer
What are you looking for in this thread? Feedback as to 'I don't like this/I like this'? Also what do you plan to do with this - are you serious about putting this out there, or is this just for the sake of doing it?

Conditions and powers with durations would have a bit less game-speak in them (e.g. Until the end of the target's next turn, or Save ends) and would lean more toward narrative-based durations. For example, a barbarian's rage could last "until the barbarian spends a round without attacking anything." This makes rage more interesting. The player is going to be constantly seeking out enemies to maximize their rage time, and at the same time the player will dislike enemies that impose conditions which would hamper the barbarian from their murder spree. And it makes sense, and might even lead to some fun roleplaying: "Cleegor, the fights over! Don't hit me!" "Grr! Cleegor sense more goblins coming...must smash!"
With your example, I forsee a lot of arguing "He hit me! That's PvP! I KILL YOU" or a Bag of Rats situation.

The benefit of the 4e condition track was that everyone knew (generally) how the conditions worked. This means that every condition is pretty unique and has to be referenced. Which isn't necessarily bad; 4e operates on the Exception based design, so it would just be another unique thing in a monster/PC's stat block (several later monsters started developing new conditions unique to that monster).

Player defined character keywords would be part of character creation. When leveraged they can gain you advantage, but GM may call upon them to impose disadvantage, all depending on the situation. Keywords overall would play a more prominent role than in 4e.
Are you familiar with Fate? Because this reads very close to how Aspects work. Although merely using keywords is far simpler and less creative than Aspects.

For basic attacks, I know the martial classes would all be: "Make a basic attack and...(insert something awesome)." Eliminating the need for a lot of power details. I'm thinking choose 2 basic attacks from a list of 5-6 should be sufficient. Could make the fewer basic attacks more versatile and perhaps introduce more combat maneuvers like Hamper, Lock Blades, Trip, etc.
So basically the 4e Essentials fighter?

One potential issue I see is handling time at the table for those-who-are-not-math-inclined. Hopefully any potential increase in handling time there is mitigates by reducing combat complexity and limiting multi-attacks.
No, I don't think the math will be the problem. However, a lot of this looks like it will bog down play because "Wait, what's an upshot? Let me look at my list of upshots" and so forth.

In addition, whenever 5+ is rolled, the play has to STOP because either the player has to decide what Upshot to get, or the DM has to decide what Complication to give.

Quickleaf

Legend
What are you looking for in this thread? Feedback as to 'I don't like this/I like this'? Also what do you plan to do with this - are you serious about putting this out there, or is this just for the sake of doing it?
Good question. I am not serious about putting this out there yet. If I was, this would be on a Kickstarter. Maybe I'll get there, maybe not. That's not the important thing for me. This is mainly for me and my group, and for any folks in the ENWorld community who happen to be interested.

So yes, it's to get feedback. And to have my ideas challenged/critiqued. There's an old trick for fiction writing called "Kill Your Babies." Consider me putting this up here an invitation for just the sort of critique you're providing ;)

With your example, I forsee a lot of arguing "He hit me! That's PvP! I KILL YOU" or a Bag of Rats situation.

The benefit of the 4e condition track was that everyone knew (generally) how the conditions worked. This means that every condition is pretty unique and has to be referenced. Which isn't necessarily bad; 4e operates on the Exception based design, so it would just be another unique thing in a monster/PC's stat block (several later monsters started developing new conditions unique to that monster).
Ok, the wording on the barbarian example would need to be changed. Make it enemies, for example. Obviously, "Bag of Rats" is asinine and both designers and players should avoid it.

I'm going for a unified condition track to account for things like dazed/fatigued. And then anything besides that may invoke conditions that are pre-described like "stunned" or "asleep" or "petrified." And then sometimes there will be something entirely unique. So a lot like 4e that way.

It's the durations & power usage where I'll be making big adjustments. There will be probably 5-6 main duration types, same goes for power usage. So for duration types there will be "until end of this round", "until concentration is broken", etc. Then for power usage there will be "hero point", "stance", "recharge - ###", and so forth.

Are you familiar with Fate? Because this reads very close to how Aspects work. Although merely using keywords is far simpler and less creative than Aspects.
I'm only passingly familiar with the idea of Aspects, but I have never played FATE. How are Aspects more creative?

So basically the 4e Essentials fighter?
Certainly there's some inspiration from the Essentials fighter. But definitely not the same. I am focusing my design more on the rest of the game and coming back to classes later, but... I do have a preliminary version of the fighter. I'll post it next and you can tell me if it's basically the 4e Essentials fighter.

No, I don't think the math will be the problem. However, a lot of this looks like it will bog down play because "Wait, what's an upshot? Let me look at my list of upshots" and so forth.

In addition, whenever 5+ is rolled, the play has to STOP because either the player has to decide what Upshot to get, or the DM has to decide what Complication to give.
Ok, let me address everything here, because I want to separate out where I think your legitimate criticism lies.

"Whats an upshot?" Is at best a legitimate criticism of the name I choose for this mechanic. Every RPG has lingo, and learning that lingo is part of learning the game. So this criticism is really "I am not familiar with your game. Can you pick another name that more readily captures what this mechanic is about?"

"Let me look at my list of upshots" This misses the premise of the upshot/complication mechanic, which perhaps I need to make explicit now: It's a tool for creativity and improvisation, not a straight jacket. The lists of upshots I wrote are inspirations that make sense given the context. Really, neither GM nor players ever needs to reference those lists (unless, perhaps, someone is having a creativity-impaired moment or it's an especially complex scenario). All the GM and players have to remember is the Rule of 5 - at 5 above or below the Difficulty, something extra good or extra bad happens. Players describe the good. GM describes the bad. And, to clarify, it probably shouldn't be a game or battle-ender.

Play has to STOP This is the heart of your criticism, and I think it is entirely legitimate. I don't know yet how it will play out. My sense is that it will be quite seamless after a session getting used to it, but it does require a bit more thought go behind every d20 roll. So perhaps in this system there will be fewer rolls with greater significance attached to each roll? I don't know, it's definitely something I'll be keeping an eye on as I introduce it to my group.

Quickleaf

Legend
Yeah, I get the part about making it friendlier for the math-averse. I have some of those at my table, including myself at times ;)

I like the idea of upshots and complications for their narrative potential, but for the needs of my group, I need it to be opt-in. I use a system for my crit rules that I think could work well here; a per-encounter resource that triggers when a character rolls a crit or when they are subject to one. They can choose to either gain an extra benefit on a crit, or to suffer an additional penalty when subject to one, in exchange for an AP.

It works well enough in fights, but I'd like to apply the idea more broadly to the game in general, not just during Skill Challenges and other "rolls-required" situations. I'd like it to work such that a player could turn in the resource and say, "OK, make this situation just a little worse for me, in exchange for..." or to be able to say, "I'm spending this resource, and I'd like for this situation to turn out just a little better for me."

It's a good rule!

The first time I encounters something like that was in Mutants & Masterminds where the GM could screw you over based on certain things you selected and give you a hero point as a consolation prize :) It worked very well, but then I have a lot of respect for Steve Kenson's game design work.

Rechan

Adventurer
Good question. I am not serious about putting this out there yet. If I was, this would be on a Kickstarter. Maybe I'll get there, maybe not. That's not the important thing for me. This is mainly for me and my group, and for any folks in the ENWorld community who happen to be interested.
Okay well if you're going to be actively using it (instead of just poking at it absently) then I'll do my best.

I'm only passingly familiar with the idea of Aspects, but I have never played FATE. How are Aspects more creative?
Fate lets you describe an Aspect any way you want, and any time that's applicable (good or bad) you can use it.

A character could have: Stubborn as a Mule, Sucker for a Pretty Face, Smashing Always Works, The Manners of a Goat. These didn't come from any list, but are just examples I've seen used with characters. These aspects define who the character is, what they're good at, and more importantly, they tell the GM what the player wants to emphasize about their character (What they want to spotlight during the game).

Another nice thing is that characters aren't the only thing that get Aspects. A room can have aspects (like: Full of Shadows, which could be invoked to give a bonus to hide, a bonus to defense, or really anything that you negotiate with the GM for). You can also create aspects on the fly, applying them to opponents or yourself, as long as you succeed in a skill roll. You have a small number of hit points, and if you take damage above that, you take Consequences, which are also Aspects that enemies get to use against you. Mild consequences go away after a short rest, but Medium consequences go away at the end of NEXT session, and Severe consequences at the end of the ADVENTURE.

Aspects are the core element of Fate and I could go on about them. :)

Actually, both Fate and Mouse Guard have an element that you are bringing up that I'd like to talk more about, but it's rather late so I'll do so tomorrow.

(Also, shameless plug; the Fate Core and Fate Accelerated ebooks are both pay-what-you-want, so you could pick them up for free and read through for ideas.)

Ok, let me address everything here, because I want to separate out where I think your legitimate criticism lies.
See, the way you were writing examples, I was thinking there would just be a LIST of upshots, like a list of upshots with the Gather Info skill. If upshots are merely "You get a bonus, negotiate what that bonus is with the DM" that makes things a lot less "Gotta go check the Upshot chart for combat/this specific skill/etc", but it does stop play.

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=54846]Rechan[/MENTION]
Wow! I need to play FATE, because I've been using 4e language "Keywords" in almost exactly the same way you describe FATE's Aspects. I knew there was some overlap, having heard others talk about FATE on the net, but...Wow. It sounds awesome! :)

Look forward to hearing your comparison with Mouse Guard and FATE later. Cheers.

Quickleaf

Legend
I was going to post my preliminary draft of the Fighter, but I realized I needed to provide some context rules first. B-)

Classes in this system are organized into three archetypes: Expert, Spellcaster, and Warrior. Experts include characters that thrive on skill, wit, and/or charm like Assassins, Bards, Monks, and Rogues. Spellcasters include characters that master magic like Clerics, Druids, Warlocks/Witches, and Wizards. Warriors include characters that rely on battle acumen like Barbarians, Fighters, Paladins, and Rangers.

These are relevant in play because each archetype shares certain rules in common:
  • Each archetype shares a common stunt list.
  • Feats are divided into General, Expert, Spellcaster, and Warrior.
  • There is overlap among the legendary paths (i.e. paragon paths) available to classes of a given archetype.

Ok, so what's a stunt in this system? It's a use for a hero point. So when a PC spends a hero point to use Second Wind or Spell Innovation, they're using stunts. Before I show the Expert, Spellcaster, and Warrrior stunt lists, however, I've got to briefly explain hero points.

Hero Points
All characters begins with 6 hero points. These increase by one at 11th level, and again at 21st level. Hero points usually recharge after an extended rest at a sanctuary. Though there are exceptions: some characters can recover hero points while camping, others when performing exemplary deeds, and a curse might prevent you from regaining them, or certain sanctuaries might provide alternate benefits instead of regaining hero points.

In 4E terms a hero point is the conglomeration of healing surges & action points, but it is more inspired by True20's Conviction rules actually.

So what exactly is a "hero point"? Is it just a meta-game resource? Yes, partially. It's also a game representation of a character's innate luck, fate, dedication, grit, moxie, drive, belief, and whatever else makes a hero tick. When a character spends a hero point to Second Wind and regains hit points, it doesn't mean their wounds are magically closing. It means the character is pushing thru the pain by drawing on some hidden inner reserves. When a character is out of hero points it means different things for different heroes; a slippery thief might be at the end of her luck, while a dutiful cavalier might find his hope and resolve waning.

Now I can get into what you do with hero points. It's almost entirely dependent on which archetype your class belongs to (note that multi-class characters can gain access to multiple stunt lists, not sure yet if that will be free or cost a feat).

Expert Stunts
An Expert can spend hero points in the following ways:
  • Extra Action: Make another standard or move action on your turn.
  • Extra Question: When you ask a question, ask an extra follow-up question.
  • Ingenuity: Make up a new use for a skill, add/change a keyword to your current zone, or add/change a keyword to a challenge. Explain what ingenious thing you've done to make this happen.
  • Second Wind: When you're conscious and not bloodied (1/2 HP), regain a number of hit points equal to 1/4 of your maximum hit points.
  • Shifty Maneuver: As a reaction or free action, reposition in your current zone. Or, with map & minis, shift 3 squares or swap places with an adjacent ally.
  • Skill Boost: Gain advantage (+5) to a trained skill of your choice until the end of the encounter.

Spellcaster Stunts
A Spellcaster can spend hero points in the following ways:
  • Concentration: Sustain a spell that would normally be lost deuce to broken concentration.
  • Meta-Magic: Change a spell in one of the following ways (or a way of your own devising): Exclude any number of targets from an area effect, burst, or blast spell; Change a spell keyword; Apply a meta-magic feat like Empower Spell, Enlarge Spell, or Lengthen Spell as if you possessed that feat.
  • Ritual Casting: Replace the component casting cost of a ritual with a hero point.
  • Second Wind: When you're conscious and not bloodied (1/2 HP), regain a number of hit points equal to 1/4 of your maximum hit points.
  • Spell Innovation: Make up a spell on the fly, using a known spell of a particular tier as your model, and cast it. Expend a corresponding spell of that tier. Alternately, utilize a class spell which you haven't studied and likewise expend a corresponding spell of that tier.

Warrior Stunts:
A Warrior can spend hero points in the following ways:
  • Assured Defense: Choose AC, Fortitude, Reflex, or Will. You may take 10 on defense rolls of that type against a single enemy you choose until the end of the encounter.
  • Improvised Maneuver: Make up a new Combat Maneuver and use it. Alternately, gain access to a Basic Attack from your class which you haven't studied for the rest of the encounter.
  • Second Wind (Improved): While you're conscious, regain a number of hit points equal to 1/4 of your maximum hit points. Unlike Experts and Spellcasters, you can use Second Wind while bloodied.
  • Shake It Off: Move up one step on the condition track or shake off one condition.
  • Power Attack: When you hit, roll an extra damage die. At 11th level, roll two extra dice. At 21st level roll three extra dice.

Ok that's enough so that when I share my rough draft of the Fighter next time, it will make sense!

Last edited:

Remove ads